Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Care for the Aged (Read 5629 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Care for the Aged
Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:05pm

There can be no doubt that the ABC has pushed Morrison into announcing the Royal Commission.  That is going to reveal very repugnant repulsive deplorable stuff I am sure.  Just reading the ABC www site is just awful including pictures of what some scumbag inside a facility would call a meal.

4 Corners tonight kicks it off and I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to watch it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Care for the Aged
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:11pm

Link.

Quote:
Would you eat this? The real food inside aged care facilities in Australia

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm

This will surely be a vote winner, cunning.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm:

Ah.....so you are saying that this is a cynical political move, and nothing to do with genuine concern for identifying and fixing a problem, AND prosecuting truly evil bastards?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:20pm:

Ah.....so you are saying that this is a cynical political move, and nothing to do with genuine concern for identifying and fixing a problem, AND prosecuting truly evil bastards?

Yeah pretty much, just like lowering the age of retirement, is he targeting the aged vote or tugging at the heart strings or both, takes a brilliant man like scomo to realize there is a problem in these facilities, give him a medal for having a royal commission.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm:

Yeah pretty much, just like lowering the age of retirement, is he targeting the aged vote or tugging at the heart strings or both, takes a brilliant man like scomo to realize there is a problem in these facilities, give him a medal for having a royal commission.

The problem with that silly position is two fold.

1.  Months ago, Labor put it to Government that there was a crisis in the industry and the Minister poo pooed their concern, almost went so far as to say that even the mere making of the allegation amounted to elder abuse.

2.  The Libs will have been well aware that the ABC was investigating the matter, and had been for months, and that the issue was going to 'air' tonight on Four Corners ~ hence the 'out of left field' week-end announcement of the RC by Morrison.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm:

1.  Months ago, Labor put it to Government that there was a crisis in the industry and the Minister poo pooed their concern, almost went so far as to say that even the mere making of the allegation amounted to elder abuse.

2.  The Libs will have been well aware that the ABC was investigating the matter, and had been for months, and that the issue was going to 'air' tonight on Four Corners ~ hence the 'out of left field' week-end announcement of the RC by Morrison.

They were dousing people in kero decades ago for lice and the ABC were aware of that, its good to see their investigation continues, scomo will sort this out, he is my hero.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm

What ever you do, when you get old, don't have a curry responsible for your care.

It is alleged Hornsby man Prakash Paudyal pulled at the 82-year-old man's shirt, and used a shoe to hit him repeatedly at Bupa Aged Care Seaforth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/aged-care-worker-allegedly-assaults-elderl...

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:04pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
What ever you do, when you get old, don't have a curry responsible for your care.

It is alleged Hornsby man Prakash Paudyal pulled at the 82-year-old man's shirt, and used a shoe to hit him repeatedly at Bupa Aged Care Seaforth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/aged-care-worker-allegedly-assaults-elderl...

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, I will be requesting a blonde Swedish voluptuous chick.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:10pm

I'm not going to get old......ever

I'm studiously searching for a vampire,

Does anyone know one?

Promise I'll only feed on politicians and muzzos.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm

The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:39pm

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm:
The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

Yes.  Most in Aged Care have nothing more than the pension.  The Facility will take most if not all of that, leaving the individual almost penniless and entirely at the mercy of the Facility which will skimp at every opportunity to maximise its profit at the cost to the individual.

Disgraceful.  Labor was right.....this is a crisis, and money needs to be pumped in.....BUT......there has to be very close scrutiny on every Facility.

Me....I'd have a very well paid Government person embedded in every FACILITY charged with the responsibility of ensuring there is no abuse of individuals, that they are well fed and properly cared for in every respect, and no rip-off by the Facility.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:42pm

A Call to Arms!!  Rise Up In Your Righteous Wrath and Take What Is Yours By birthright!  Eat The Rich!

I was on this subject elsewhere and raised the question of why, if private enterprise is so efficient etc, the government would prefer to pay subsidies to private enterprise, thus feeding their profit line, than actually run aged care itself at a lower cost and guaranteed return of tax etc back into THIS economy...

Or even pay more for a home carer within family.... we see a relentless push to pay women for staying at home and sprogging etc... I mean - where else can this nonsense about 'income gap' and 'superannuation gap' go, if not to pay women to stay at home?

So - to save on subsidies to enrich foreign investors - would we not be better off having a paid in-home family carer?

If private enterprise is so much more efficient - why does it need subsidies that often vanish offshore into tax havens or into the ten million dollar home for the daughter of one of the principals?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:49pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm:

can we stick to the serious situations many of our aged  are in gordon... maybe you are lucky and never had to put a loved one into the 24 hour care of strangers......maybe you will also be lucky enough to never have to go into one yourself...

but I would say an awful lot of folks will end up there...including myself...errrrrrrrrrk  although my daughter says it will never happen  and my granddaughter who worked a few years in aged care   said in a very loud voice   you are never going in one of those place.......maybe they will bury mi in the backyard...

as it is to see how they are treated is 3rd world..

what on earth is the point of science doing its level best to make us all live longer..... if you end up being a burden like that... bloody disgusting  and the people that serve it up should stand up and refuse to do it I bet they wouldnt eat it themselves...   

gawd you wouldnt feed a dog food like that...

can you imagine prisoners putting up with food like that???

it wouldnt happen     Angry Angry Angry Angry

where is our conscience?... Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm

It's a bugger of a situation, keeping an old person accomodated, fed, activated and with access to medical treatment costs more than the pension. Reverse mortgages are resisted by family's so it is down to government to pay the gap.

How much to pay? What would be the cost per day at a standard we would tolerate?  And who pays that?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm

Quote:
So - to save on subsidies to enrich foreign investors - would we not be better off having a paid in-home family carer?

Indeed we would but Government stands in the way of that. 

A 'friend' of mine was in strife with boob cancer and depression.  Her daughter had to abandon a job worth $1500.00 a week to her had to move in with the friend to assist her.  Applied for the home care assistance allowance and was told to come back in six months.

So......she did arrive to help but it cost her Mum squillions to make up for the daughter's loss in income.

Nah....the whole set up is crap.  Crisis indeed.  Should have been a RC ages ago.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:03pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
It's a bugger of a situation, keeping an old person accomodated, fed, activated and with access to medical treatment costs more than the pension. Reverse mortgages are resisted by family's so it is down to government to pay the gap.

How much to pay? What would be the cost per day at a standard we would tolerate?  And who pays that?

check out a local hotel room for the night   without any aids...

my daughters father in law was a heart transplant recipient  almost 20 years ago...he was of course on meds for the rest of his   in the last  5 years of his life he started deteriorating he was also a bit of a cranky bugger so he went into aged care when he needed 24/7 care...he was skin and bone nothing like the man he once was  anyway he finally ended up in palliative care..where he was allowed to stay for 7 days... if he didnt die he went back to the hospital... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes this is what they are told.... Roll Eyes

he was there 5 days and showed no sign of leaving us...it was awful to see him really not good for my grandsons thats for sure   anyway he finally said he wouldnt take any more medication...and so  they  stopped the med routine... this was what was keeping him alive...even though the heart was rejecting  the meds wouldnt let him go.....he died before the 7 days were up....very sad but very much a blessing for him.....how do we know how many are taking pills and supplements that are the main reason for their systems to keep going?????... we didnt have all this medication years ago...is it any wonder we are living longer?

are we sure its LIVING! Angry

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:08pm

I'm pushing my own barrow there, as usual, Aussie... as a full time carer I know the amount paid nowhere near meets the costs... and that's direct costs to do all the things needed with no other help.

The ex I care for can't even drive herself to doctors and such... maybe I should charge by the hour.... so far this week only two doctor appointments... then there's the other bits of running around to provide 'quality of life'.... the shopping, the chauffeur service to art class (at least at the moment I can go whale watching up on the headland), and so forth...

She also keeps forgetting to apply for MyAgedCare - I can't do that for her - it's between her and her doctor... but it would help defray the costs, such as the man who comes in to do the lawn edges and stuff...

(I'm not that well myself - that mysterious chest pain goes on and on - now I can't even walk 25m without pain... only a month to see a haemotologist.. might get an answer from precise blood tests that show what might be an infection ... whiskey, bartender.. at least it kills the pain for a while.... waiting to see if they find it's damaged tissue from burning oil.....)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:10pm

It might require a bit of lateral thinking with super, most people, or a lot of people anyway, die with a hefty amount still left. 

Generations now are growing up with super from day one, there may be options to investigate sequestering a portion of that for actual aged care, not caravans and swimming pools.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:08pm:
I'm pushing my own barrow there, as usual, Aussie... as a full time carer I know the amount paid nowhere near meets the costs... and that's direct costs to do all the things needed with no other help.

The ex I care for can't even drive herself to doctors and such... maybe I should charge by the hour.... so far this week only two doctor appointments... then there's the other bits of running around to provide 'quality of life'.... the shopping, the chauffeur service to art class (at least at the moment I can go whale watching up on the headland), and so forth...

She also keeps forgetting to apply for MyAgedCare - I can't do that for her - it's between her and her doctor... but it would help defray the costs, such as the man who comes in to do the lawn edges and stuff...

That accurately describes the services I currently provide for the Lady I am referring to ~ and yes...TIB is well aware of it, and supports me doing so.  I do it all....gratis.  If I didn't, her daughter (who lives in another State) would have to abandon her life to do what I am doing.

The system is farqed and takes advantage of your willingness.....and mine.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:19pm

There would be enough money if we didn't splash so much money around in foreign aid, charity starts at home, scomo is on the case so all is well.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:16pm:

That accurately describes the services I currently provide for the Lady I am referring to ~ and yes...TIB is well aware of it, and supports me doing so.  I do it all....gratis.  If I didn't, her daughter (who lives in another State) would have to abandon her life to do what I am doing.

Too true.  The 'system' is controlled by takers and operated without sustenance by givers.

As Sitting Bull said - You judge your people by what they have - we judge them by what they give.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:30pm

I've talked quickly to my son who has worked in aged care, I'll ask my wife too about the meals pictured. There are different requirements for different people, they may look appalling to us but there may be reasons for them. To me that food looks like shyte but I would like to see the reasons behind it. Just look at the shyte you get in hospital as a normal person with all the "dietary health" crap. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. Remember we are talking about food for people with many health issues beyond age.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:31pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:16pm:

Too true.  The 'system' is controlled by takers and operated without sustenance by givers.

As Sitting Bull said - You judge your people by what they have - we judge them by what they give.

I like Sitting Bulls philosophy on that one.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:31pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:10pm:
It might require a bit of lateral thinking with super, most people, or a lot of people anyway, die with a hefty amount still left. 

Generations now are growing up with super from day one, there may be options to investigate sequestering a portion of that for actual aged care, not caravans and swimming pools.

A point - super funds gathered are properly a part of an inheritance to be passed down - same as savings of any kind and assets - sometimes the cost of living means that perhaps super could be used to fund necessary care.

It's a hard call - and open to ideological argument from all sides... particularly those who imagine that anyone in retirement should wind down all accumulated assets to exist....

Not on.... just not on.  Assets accumulated over a lifetime of effort are not meant to be wound down to provide sustenance - but rather to provide the luxury earned.

Before you jump up and down - EVERY one of those twerps who mumbles about assets having to be wound down in retirement does not apply that 'reasoning' to self or to their own.... and there endeth the lesson.

Lead from the front or don't board the aircraft...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:41pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:05pm:
There can be no doubt that the ABC has pushed Morrison into announcing the Royal Commission.  That is going to reveal very repugnant repulsive deplorable stuff I am sure.  Just reading the ABC www site is just awful including pictures of what some scumbag inside a facility would call a meal.

4 Corners tonight kicks it off and I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to watch it.

About 9 years ago I was trying to find an aged care facility for one of my Aunties.
The food looked awful & the places were charging over $1,000 per week.
What a rip off.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:45pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:31pm:

A point - super funds gathered are properly a part of an inheritance to be passed down - same as savings of any kind and assets - sometimes the cost of living means that perhaps super could be used to fund necessary care.

It's a hard call - and open to ideological argument from all sides... particularly those who imagine that anyone in retirement should wind down all accumulated assets to exist....

Not on.... just not on.  Assets accumulated over a lifetime of effort are not meant to be wound down to provide sustenance - but rather to provide the luxury earned.

Before you jump up and down - EVERY one of those twerps who mumbles about assets having to be wound down in retirement does not apply that 'reasoning' to self or to their own.... and there endeth the lesson.

Whilst I generally agree, I was looking at other funding sources.  By sequestered I was thinking a percentage  that cannot be passed on as an inheritance, therefore would go toward aged care, bit like a Medicare contribution.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:01pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
I've talked quickly to my son who has worked in aged care, I'll ask my wife too about the meals pictured. There are different requirements for different people, they may look appalling to us but there may be reasons for them. To me that food looks like shyte but I would like to see the reasons behind it. Just look at the shyte you get in hospital as a normal person with all the "dietary health" crap. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. Remember we are talking about food for people with many health issues beyond age.

There's nothing nutritious about any of that food, pies, frankfurt, pizza, tomato sauce, thick gravy - they've got to be joking

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/food-in-aged-care/10212880
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:08pm by Bias_2012 »  

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:09pm

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:45pm:

Whilst I generally agree, I was looking at other funding sources.  By sequestered I was thinking a percentage  that cannot be passed on as an inheritance, therefore would go toward aged care, bit like a Medicare contribution.

It's a complex situation - when are savings not savings held in one's own right?   Just a question...

As I said - maybe sometimes assets need to be liquidated to ensure quality care ... I said.. I said.... Quality care, boy... ain't you got no hearing?

With no prejudice and all due respect for our Asian parasite brethren (snuckles) - why should anyone be forced to liquidate all assets to generate profit for some vulture?

That's what is wrong with 'privatisation' of all kinds..... every day, in every way, Joe and Jo Bloggs have to expend their future to feed corporate vultures - many of whom are like that Sydney Water thing that went on.... build a 'service' and the demand payment for all your execs etc forever...

There has to be a better answer.. trouble is that any 'socialised' solution ends up being nearly as wishy-washy as any 'private' enterprise....

Too many chiefs - not enough Indians... bear with the start - wait for the chorus ....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:46pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:01pm:

There's nothing nutritious about any of that food, pies, frankfurt, pizza, tomato sauce, thick gravy - they've got be joking

I'll agree it doesn't look that way.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:42pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:46pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:01pm:

There's nothing nutritious about any of that food, pies, frankfurt, pizza, tomato sauce, thick gravy - they've got be joking

I'll agree it doesn't look that way.

... eeeerrrrhh.. coupla party pies and some mash.... yeah...... real top stuff man.

I noted that Rooney (disgrace to the Gaels) said that more than $6 a day was spent on food...

Christ - where are the fruits and easily  assimilable foods?  Stuff that really gives some value to food..... avocados....  citrus ... genuine vitamins and minerals that really promote and enhance life?

Doesn't matter with those with no real requirement to live?

(Jesus)........

NO - it doesn't LOOK that way.... Set...????

Would you eat that? I'd say my gut will handle food or I'll die..... but don't feed me sh1t.... I've faced The Reaper several times... I prefer some quality.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #31 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm

The older you get the less you need to eat.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Mary Black wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm:

Ok. Whose 'sock' are you? Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm

Mary Black wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm:

Maybe - I was talking about QUALITY in the food..

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:14am

Bullshyte ... where does it all go or where has it all gone?

You should be ScoMos secretary.

Things need prioritisation.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:17am

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm:

The Govt doesn't pay we do .... & we pay & we pay....

and this sort of rubbish still occurs.

Heads need to roll.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:20am

And unless they are in an Industry Super Fund they are being robbed hand over fist .....

hence the current RC into BANKING.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:27am

My mother has been in what was a brand new facility(she was first intake) for 2 years .... her only & consistent complaint is about the food.

And when she gets vegemite on toast for the evening meal ... I have to wholeheartedly agree.

So far all her complaints & my sisters to management have fallen on deaf ears.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:29am

Nailed & hung Grappler..... exactly.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:03am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm:
Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm:

They were dousing people in kero decades ago for lice and the ABC were aware of that, its good to see their investigation continues, scomo will sort this out, he is my hero.

Why? As Treasurer he cut $1.2 billion out of Aged Care ... now if he gives some of that back he's a hero?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:12am

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:27am:

My mother has been in what was a brand new facility(she was first intake) for 2 years .... her only & consistent complaint is about the food.

And when she gets vegemite on toast for the evening meal ... I have to wholeheartedly agree.

So far all her complaints & my sisters to management have fallen on deaf ears.

when you think of being in one of those place   all they have to look forward to is the food.....and its disgusting....I watch 4 corners last night   it nearly brought me to tears....every pollie and the CEOs running these places needs to be made to watch that...

we wouldnt allow animal shelters to be run like that....

whatever is going on in this country   our children and our elders are being abused left right and centre....

we cant allow this to go on...tell your local members when they come begging you for your vote... Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:13am

btw the crisis hasnt just happened   on LIBS watch...

what exactly did shortarse do when he was ass Treasurer?????

apart from leaving a MASSIVE DEBT IN HIS WAKE> Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:57am

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:

what exactly did shortarse do when he was ass Treasurer?????

Can you tell me in which years Shorten was Treasurer?

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:19am

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:14am:

It would be the same problem for labor as well.  There are alot of priorites out there: infrastructure, health care, education, the list goes on and on.   And with an ageing population, with less ratio of tax payers vs aged person.  The problem is only going to get worse and worse, since we are also going into a phase where we are anti migration.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:32am

Aussie wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:57am:

what exactly did shortarse do when he was assTreasurer?????

https://www.smh.com.au/business/payday-lenders-meet-with-ass-treasurer-20110909-...

The payday lending industry says more consultation with government is likely after leaders met with Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten to thrash out reforms aiming to put predatory lenders out of business.

Industry lobby group, the National Financial Services Federation (NFSF), said it looked forward to further consultation with the government to achieve reforms that both protect vulnerable Australians and keep the industry viable for consumers that use short-term loans.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #45 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 11:08am

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:32am:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/payday-lenders-meet-with-ass-treasurer-20110909-...

The payday lending industry says more consultation with government is likely after leaders met with Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten to thrash out reforms aiming to put predatory lenders out of business.

Industry lobby group, the National Financial Services Federation (NFSF), said it looked forward to further consultation with the government to achieve reforms that both protect vulnerable Australians and keep the industry viable for consumers that use short-term loans.

Ah.....ass.

Yeas, given how well and accurately you always present your posts I ought to have seen that.  My bad.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 1:54pm

Those bankrupting the country are not the aged

All about priorities and the aged have not been priority or anywhere close

allah thanks our politicians

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:04pm

S.I.N.G.  Silence is not Golden.  Whistleblower site.  Whistleblower support group

LINK

Care nurses losing their jobs for trying to support the elderly in their care

Care nurses being blackballed (by Qld Health for one) for exposing disgusting treatment of elderly and impaired, including the excoriation of a 40-something physically disabled man, mentally fine, whose mother had put $400,000 in trust for him.  $300,000 grabbed by the home-manager, reportedly.  Her son murdered, money gone, the elderly mother was not even informed of  his suspicious death for more than a week

Old women being bashed and left naked under cold showers and left there all night for daring to speak even mildly.  Any nurse who attempted to help those women was driven out of a job, defamed, blackballed, bashed

Elderly in care homes too afraid to reveal their suffering to relatives or 'you'll get worse when your family has gone'

Holy roller Morrison 'just decided' something needed to be done?  When did the lightbulb in his head go on?  How did he manage to holy-roll all those years when he knew what was going on, all the suffering and pain

Valkie's right.  Revolution.  Pray for a deadly virus to strike every parliament in the country.  Then hose OUR houses of parliament out with military-grade Dettol

as for care-home owners and managers

feed them to Nth Korea's dogs

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #48 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:22pm

I am glad there will be an Aged Care Royal Commission this will be worse than the Banking Royal Commission in the insidious predators in the Aged Care Industry it smokes out

Hopefully a whole new Management of Aged Care will result and the thieves and criminals in the industry smoked out

There was an article on 9's Current Affair last night about a successful overseas monitoring company which monitors aged care facilities 24/7..Big Brother? Damned straight and don't they need them

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:45pm

I've been posting about S.I.N.G. in here (and elsewhere) for years

S.I.N.G.  Silence is NOT Golden. Whistleblower site/group

LINK

Whistleblowers have been striving for many years to draw politicians' and the public's attention to the situation for far more years

Countless whistleblowers have been sacked, blackballed, threatened, defamed, ruined --- for trying to get some light thrown on what is a demonic situation

The stories on that site would destroy the peace of mind of a billionaire, ruin his enjoyment of his city-block sized yacht

thank God people are finally learning the truth about aged care and care homes

Naturally there will be promises and 'outrage' before things settle back down to the usual ghastliness

but any improvement, any investigation and ousting of what are literal demons, is better than nothing

Meanwhile, give people the option of voluntary euthanasia

Sure, voluntary euthanasia will eat into shareholders (who ARE they by the way) profits

but surely all the foreign intake will fill the positions of those jammed into UNcare homes who would prefer to exit rather than suffer living-hell at the end of their lives?

(this site double-spaces posts for some reason, so i won't apolgise for what is beyond my control)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 3:38pm

red baron wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:22pm:
I am glad there will be an Aged Care Royal Commission this will be worse than the Banking Royal Commission in the insidious predators in the Aged Care Industry it smokes out

Hopefully a whole new Management of Aged Care will result and the thieves and criminals in the industry smoked out

Ditto on that, and let's hope the RC is not sanitized by the media

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #51 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 5:21pm

As far as I am aware, to get a place in an Age Care Facility, they have to pay a huge sum, and if they own their own home, they need to pay a lot more ... then their Age Pension sort of covers the food, etc.

There is absolutely NO WAY I would want anybody I love in one of those places!

Way back, I did some Charity Work and a group of us visited an Old Aged Peoples Home in Sydney.  Just to talk to them and make them morning tea, etc. 

I was absolutely stunned ... most of those had been "dumped" there because they were "old" and their kids never visited! They didn't complain about anything, just that their children never came to see them.

I lasted about 2 visits ... it was far too emotional for me.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #52 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 5:45pm

There is an old saying, 'A Society is judged by the way it treats its senior citizens"

Guess our one is pretty  f......d!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:29pm

PZ547 wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:04pm:

S.I.N.G.  Silence is not Golden.  Whistleblower site.  Whistleblower support group

LINK

Care nurses losing their jobs for trying to support the elderly in their care

Care nurses being blackballed (by Qld Health for one) for exposing disgusting treatment of elderly and impaired, including the excoriation of a 40-something physically disabled man, mentally fine, whose mother had put $400,000 in trust for him.  $300,000 grabbed by the home-manager, reportedly.  Her son murdered, money gone, the elderly mother was not even informed of  his suspicious death for more than a week

Old women being bashed and left naked under cold showers and left there all night for daring to speak even mildly.  Any nurse who attempted to help those women was driven out of a job, defamed, blackballed, bashed

Elderly in care homes too afraid to reveal their suffering to relatives or 'you'll get worse when your family has gone'

Holy roller Morrison 'just decided' something needed to be done?  When did the lightbulb in his head go on?  How did he manage to holy-roll all those years when he knew what was going on, all the suffering and pain

Valkie's right.  Revolution.  Pray for a deadly virus to strike every parliament in the country.  Then hose OUR houses of parliament out with military-grade Dettol

as for care-home owners and managers

feed them to Nth Korea's dogs

You know the thing about being immersed in water - even if your body temperature is 98.6 F and the water is 85 F - slowly your core temperature will drop and you will die... even sailors adrift in the tropics die from exposure/hypothermia eventually...  US  navy found that out in WW II.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:03pm

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:19am:
Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:14am:

It would be the same problem for labor as well.  There are alot of priorites out there: infrastructure, health care, education, the list goes on and on.   And with an ageing population, with less ratio of tax payers vs aged person.  The problem is only going to get worse and worse, since we are also going into a phase where we are anti migration. 

The majority of migrants/refugees/asylum seekers we have been bringing in for the last decade & back further are incompatible, unskilled long term welfare dependent bludgers.

With the loss of industry & jobs & therefore a large enough taxpayer base, that's why people are anti-migration.

I know this isn't party specific ... both  Labor & the LNP are responsible for these outcomes.

As for an aging population .... some make it to old age

have you ever been into any major metropolitan hospitals lately?

There are multiple Oncology businesses & thousands of cancer patients of all ages all in various stages of treatment & dying.

The "aging population" mantra is complete BS..... and with the treatment our seniors are receiving in Aged Care facilities they are dying even faster.  Roll Eyes Angry

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:40pm

The payday lending industry says more consultation with government is likely after leaders met with [highlight]Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten to thrash out reforms aiming to put predatory lenders out of business.[/highlight]

And what happened with that Cods?

Regardless of Shortens involvement the LNP allowed the PayDay lenders to win the day.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:46pm

red baron wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 2:22pm:

There was an article on 9's Current Affair last night about a successful overseas monitoring company which monitors aged care facilities 24/7..Big Brother? Damned straight and don't they need them

As well as the criminals running aged care there are undesirables/criminals being employed by those criminals as carers in these aged care facilities.

The scrutiny of these people is not rigorous enough.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:50pm

red baron wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 5:45pm:
There is an old saying, 'A Society is judged by the way it treats its senior citizens"

That's right ... but because of this sort of thing I have no faith in making arrangements for entry into one for myself or my wife .....

even though our greatest wish is not to be a burden on our children in our dotage .... if we make it that long.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:53pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:40pm:

The payday lending industry says more consultation with government is likely after leaders met with [highlight]Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten to thrash out reforms aiming to put predatory lenders out of business.[/highlight]

And what happened with that Cods?

Regardless of Shortens involvement the LNP allowed the PayDay lenders to win the day. 

Loan sharking is a sacred Entitlement....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:04pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:50pm:

That's right ... but because of this sort of thing I have no faith in making arrangements for entry into one for myself or my wife .....

even though our greatest wish is not to be a burden on our children in our dotage .... if we make it that long.

I have all sorts of plans.....but the ultimate Plan Z is one of the kids.  Karma.  I had to wipe theirs after all.

Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #60 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 6:31pm

Ya know....there are some 'inmates' in Aged Care facilities who I am sure can be total arseholes.  Very bad, obnoxious, rebellious, uncooperative aggressive old turds.  So...to that extent, I can understand the obvious reactions which in isolation look appalling.

But....nah....on food, nah on care for just old people who are nothing other than model old, perhaps incontinent, people.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 6:50pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 6:31pm:
Ya know....there are some 'inmates' in Aged Care facilities who I am sure can be total arseholes.  Very bad, obnoxious, rebellious, uncooperative aggressive old turds.  So...to that extent, I can understand the obvious reactions which in isolation look appalling.

But....nah....on food, nah on care for just old people who are nothing other than model old, perhaps incontinent, people.

So I sch'pose it'sch a queshtion of which is 'e chicken and which ish 'e egg, innit? 

Was they old curmudgeons BEFORE or after they was subjected to neglect, ill-treatment and outright abuse?

I'd be surly, un-co-operative, and so forth if I were subjected to regularised ill-treatment and even abuse....

Eiver way - i'sh no' asheptable!

― John Adams

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Okay.....I am retreating a tad after watching Four Corners tonight.  It is far from black and white and not as easy as I thought.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 9:54pm

It was black and white enough to me. Those bitches they call carers are criminal and need to be jailed, along with the managers

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:51pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 9:21pm:
Okay.....I am retreating a tad after watching Four Corners tonight.  It is far from black and white and not as easy as I thought.

We just need to be careful not to paint all with the same brush.... some are good and some are not... but whatever the case, all this shows a need for regulation and limits on these corporate vultures cashing in and using dirty tricks to do so.

The current approach that the buyer into a retirement village and similar does not actually own the property - only the building and not the land it stands on, and in the case of AVEO is forced to sell it to AVEO at their price - needs to be fully reviewed and changes made - people pay a lot of money to get into these things and they pay enough to guarantee far more rights over their own purchase.

A caravan park near here has given all of its long-time owners their marching orders... they want to convert it to aged care and the caravan/transportable owners, who've paid a motza to get in and then weekly charges for years in many cases.. have no rights at all...

This is wrong... and the idea that the park owner owns the land that the  home (etc) stands on and thus has all rights must go.... this is gouging pure and simple.

Wonder who the owners of that park are..... just asking.... I'll ask around and check the council walls for development applications...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:54pm

You got that right...... has been for years now...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:17am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 11:54pm:

Yes I said years ago that Australia will get worse under Lib Lab policies. Now we're seeing Royal Commissions into this and that which might make things a bit better, but they won't fix everything, they'll only increase regulations when what we need is to get into peoples heads about being professional and get into magistrates' heads that when they let offenders of physical violence off, they give them the green light to carry on being physically violent

We saw that guy hitting the old fella with a shoe, on last weeks 4 corners, we saw those females hitting the elderly women with open hands and pillows this week. They're getting away with it and yet if they hit their children, they can be in very big trouble, the nation erupts and comes down on them hard, but hit an elderly defenseless person and somehow it's ok by a magistrate

Carers for elderly needs to be a very selective process, people who are natural carers, that have natural instincts about being compassionate and an understanding of respect and realize older people need to retain their dignity. Did you see those asian female ratbags throwing the old ladie's legs around and laughing while abusing her? well they should be jailed for a year, and replaced by natural carers as I described above. Trained natural carers, and well paid. All there is at present is so much riff raff trained in how to use a hoist and change sheets, but not trained how to be a decent person, compassionate and empathetic towards the elderly

Spy cameras will be banned from age care homes after all this dust settles, then the coward carers will be at it again. I'm wondering how it will be policed. An inspector once a week won't stop it, only decent honest fully trained employees will solve the problem, and a threat hanging over managers' and owners' heads, do it right or get out of the age care business

Do you remember Turnbull raving a bit about dignity about a year and half ago? I took notice but he did nothing about it, just sound bites ... and now we can see what his inaction has caused, even less dignity for the elderly

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:30am

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:17am:

Yes I said years ago that Australia will get worse under Lib Lab policies. Now we're seeing Royal Commissions into this and that which might make things a bit better, but they won't fix everything, they'll only increase regulations when what we need is to get into peoples heads about being professional and get into magistrates' heads that when they let offenders of physical violence off, they give them the green light to carry on being physically violent

We saw that guy hitting the old fella with a shoe, on last weeks 4 corners, we saw those females hitting the elderly women with open hands and pillows this week. They're getting away with it and yet if they hit their children, they can be in very big trouble, the nation erupts and comes down on them hard, but hit an elderly defenseless person and somehow it's ok by a magistrate

Carers for elderly needs to be a very selective process, people who are natural carers, that have natural instincts about being compassionate and an understanding of respect and realize older people need to retain their dignity. Did you see those asian female ratbags throwing the old ladie's legs around and laughing while abusing her? well they should be jail for a year, and replaced by natural carers as I described above. Trained natural carers, and well paid. All there is at present is so much riff raff trained in how to use a hoist and change sheets, but not trained how to be a decent person, compassionate and empathetic towards the elderly

Spy cameras will be banned from age care homes after all this dust settles, then the coward carers will be at it again. I'm wondering how it will be policed. An inspector once a week won't stop it, only decent honest fully trained employees will solve the problem, and a threat hanging over managers' and owners' heads, do it right or get out of the age care business

Do you remember Turnbull raving a bit about dignity about a year and half ago? I took notice but he did nothing about it, just sound bites ... and now we can see what his inaction has caused, even less dignity for the elderly

Totally agree.. many here will label us Utopians or something just to disparage our views and try to make us look silly.

Cameras should be automatic in nursing homes so as to ensure the full story is always available, the same as they were installed in NSW police stations - not to protect police from false accusation of violence etc... but to protect the public those police are supposed to serve when in the hands of those same police.

If I had someone in a nursing home, and that person was covered in bruises... there would be hell to pay...  I'm lucky I don't, and I never intend to be in one myself.

Old people look on those, more often than enough, as a prison camp and a death sentence with no dignity or real quality of the life they would like and are accustomed to.  Just the simple daily cup of tea with someone to talk to and a little company for a while....

The situation for old people on their own is tragic, and really needs to be addressed.

I'm a mere lad of 69 and have a long way to go yet - but you won't see me in one of those gulags.  I'll tie myself to the wheel of my boat and you'll find me on the high seas.... going somewhere towards that horizon in a tall ship...

I was in a DVA hospital once and one of the other people there was an old Vet - they told him it was the nursing home for him and he broke down and cried... he'd been a Warrant Officer and was once strong and powerful... now he knew he was to become nothing in the hands of people who had no idea and didn't give a damn.

The feelingfor those like that is just like a Jew sent to the Konzentrationslager..... and how could anyone do it??

Then there are countless old ladies out there, on their own, and with nobody, and slowly sliding into old age and perhaps dementia.

Good people mostly.. and nobody cares, often least of all their family, who are always happy to cash up the assets once they are gone.

Then the vultures begin to gather.... the AVEOs and such imported from the kind where life is of little importance but cash is king .... damn them all and damn their eyes!  They should be hung in a public square..... the old way..... slowly....

One day it will happen.... ye've my word on it.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Sep 25th, 2018 at 7:25am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:30am:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 25th, 2018 at 1:17am:

Carers for elderly needs to be a very selective process, people who are natural carers, that have natural instincts about being compassionate and an understanding of respect and realize older people need to retain their dignity. Did you see those asian female ratbags throwing the old ladie's legs around and laughing while abusing her? well they should be jail for a year, and replaced by natural carers as I described above. Trained natural carers, and well paid. All there is at present is so much riff raff trained in how to use a hoist and change sheets, but not trained how to be a decent person, compassionate and empathetic towards the elderly

Totally agree.. many here will label us Utopians or something just to disparage our views and try to make us look silly.

Cameras should be automatic in nursing homes so as to ensure the full story is always available, the same as they were installed in NSW police stations - not to protect police from false accusation of violence etc... but to protect the public those police are supposed to serve when in the hands of those same police.

If I had someone in a nursing home, and that person was covered in bruises... there would be hell to pay...  I'm lucky I don't, and I never intend to be in one myself.

Old people look on those, more often than enough, as a prison camp and a death sentence with no dignity or real quality of the life they would like and are accustomed to.  Just the simple daily cup of tea with someone to talk to and a little company for a while....

The situation for old people on their own is tragic, and really needs to be addressed.

I'm a mere lad of 69 and have a long way to go yet - but you won't see me in one of those gulags.  I'll tie myself to the wheel of my boat and you'll find me on the high seas.... going somewhere towards that horizon in a tall ship...

I was in a DVA hospital once and one of the other people there was an old Vet - they told him it was the nursing home for him and he broke down and cried... he'd been a Warrant Officer and was once strong and powerful... now he knew he was to become nothing in the hands of people who had no idea and didn't give a damn.

The feelingfor those like that is just like a Jew sent to the Konzentrationslager..... and how could anyone do it??

Then there are countless old ladies out there, on their own, and with nobody, and slowly sliding into old age and perhaps dementia.

Good people mostly.. and nobody cares, often least of all their family, who are always happy to cash up the assets once they are gone.

Then the vultures begin to gather.... the AVEOs and such imported from the kind where life is of little importance but cash is king .... damn them all and damn their eyes!  They should be hung in a public square..... the old way..... slowly....

One day it will happen.... ye've my word on it.

Very surprised AVEO didn't get a mention throughout both episodes of 4Corners.

I thought ripping aged people off was also "elder abuse"?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print