Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Care for the Aged
Reply #30 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:42pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:46pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:01pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
I've talked quickly to my son who has worked in aged care, I'll ask my wife too about the meals pictured. There are different requirements for different people, they may look appalling to us but there may be reasons for them. To me that food looks like shyte but I would like to see the reasons behind it. Just look at the shyte you get in hospital as a normal person with all the "dietary health" crap. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. Remember we are talking about food for people with many health issues beyond age.

There's nothing nutritious about any of that food, pies, frankfurt, pizza, tomato sauce, thick gravy - they've got be joking

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/food-in-aged-care/10212880

I'll agree it doesn't look that way.

... eeeerrrrhh.. coupla party pies and some mash.... yeah...... real top stuff man.

I noted that Rooney (disgrace to the Gaels) said that more than $6 a day was spent on food...

Christ - where are the fruits and easily  assimilable foods?  Stuff that really gives some value to food..... avocados....  citrus ... genuine vitamins and minerals that really promote and enhance life?

Doesn't matter with those with no real requirement to live?

(Jesus)........

NO - it doesn't LOOK that way.... Set...????

Would you eat that? I'd say my gut will handle food or I'll die..... but don't feed me sh1t.... I've faced The Reaper several times... I prefer some quality.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #31 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm

The older you get the less you need to eat.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Mary Black wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm:

Ok. Whose 'sock' are you? Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #33 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:10pm

Mary Black wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:51pm:

Maybe - I was talking about QUALITY in the food..

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:14am

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm:
The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

Bullshyte ... where does it all go or where has it all gone?

You should be ScoMos secretary.

Things need prioritisation.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:17am

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm:
It's a bugger of a situation, keeping an old person accomodated, fed, activated and with access to medical treatment costs more than the pension. Reverse mortgages are resisted by family's so it is down to government to pay the gap.

How much to pay? What would be the cost per day at a standard we would tolerate?  And who pays that?

The Govt doesn't pay we do .... & we pay & we pay....

and this sort of rubbish still occurs.

Heads need to roll.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:20am

Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:10pm:
It might require a bit of lateral thinking with super, most people, or a lot of people anyway, die with a hefty amount still left. 

Generations now are growing up with super from day one, there may be options to investigate sequestering a portion of that for actual aged care, not caravans and swimming pools.

And unless they are in an Industry Super Fund they are being robbed hand over fist .....

hence the current RC into BANKING.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:27am

I've talked quickly to my son who has worked in aged care, I'll ask my wife too about the meals pictured. There are different requirements for different people, they may look appalling to us but there may be reasons for them. To me that food looks like shyte but I would like to see the reasons behind it. Just look at the shyte you get in hospital as a normal person with all the "dietary health" crap. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. Remember we are talking about food for people with many health issues beyond age.

My mother has been in what was a brand new facility(she was first intake) for 2 years .... her only & consistent complaint is about the food.

And when she gets vegemite on toast for the evening meal ... I have to wholeheartedly agree.

So far all her complaints & my sisters to management have fallen on deaf ears.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:29am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 7:31pm:
Secret Wars wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 6:10pm:
It might require a bit of lateral thinking with super, most people, or a lot of people anyway, die with a hefty amount still left. 

Generations now are growing up with super from day one, there may be options to investigate sequestering a portion of that for actual aged care, not caravans and swimming pools.

A point - super funds gathered are properly a part of an inheritance to be passed down - same as savings of any kind and assets - sometimes the cost of living means that perhaps super could be used to fund necessary care.

It's a hard call - and open to ideological argument from all sides... particularly those who imagine that anyone in retirement should wind down all accumulated assets to exist....

Not on.... just not on.  Assets accumulated over a lifetime of effort are not meant to be wound down to provide sustenance - but rather to provide the luxury earned.

Before you jump up and down - EVERY one of those twerps who mumbles about assets having to be wound down in retirement does not apply that 'reasoning' to self or to their own.... and there endeth the lesson.

Lead from the front or don't board the aircraft...

Nailed & hung Grappler..... exactly.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:03am

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm:
Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm:
Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:20pm:
Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
This will surely be a vote winner, cunning.

Ah.....so you are saying that this is a cynical political move, and nothing to do with genuine concern for identifying and fixing a problem, AND prosecuting truly evil bastards?

Yeah pretty much, just like lowering the age of retirement, is he targeting the aged vote or tugging at the heart strings or both, takes a brilliant man like scomo to realize there is a problem in these facilities, give him a medal for having a royal commission.

The problem with that silly position is two fold.

1.  Months ago, Labor put it to Government that there was a crisis in the industry and the Minister poo pooed their concern, almost went so far as to say that even the mere making of the allegation amounted to elder abuse.

2.  The Libs will have been well aware that the ABC was investigating the matter, and had been for months, and that the issue was going to 'air' tonight on Four Corners ~ hence the 'out of left field' week-end announcement of the RC by Morrison.

They were dousing people in kero decades ago for lice and the ABC were aware of that, its good to see their investigation continues, scomo will sort this out, he is my hero.

Why? As Treasurer he cut $1.2 billion out of Aged Care ... now if he gives some of that back he's a hero?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:12am

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:27am:

My mother has been in what was a brand new facility(she was first intake) for 2 years .... her only & consistent complaint is about the food.

And when she gets vegemite on toast for the evening meal ... I have to wholeheartedly agree.

So far all her complaints & my sisters to management have fallen on deaf ears.

when you think of being in one of those place   all they have to look forward to is the food.....and its disgusting....I watch 4 corners last night   it nearly brought me to tears....every pollie and the CEOs running these places needs to be made to watch that...

we wouldnt allow animal shelters to be run like that....

whatever is going on in this country   our children and our elders are being abused left right and centre....

we cant allow this to go on...tell your local members when they come begging you for your vote... Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:13am

btw the crisis hasnt just happened   on LIBS watch...

what exactly did shortarse do when he was ass Treasurer?????

apart from leaving a MASSIVE DEBT IN HIS WAKE> Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #42 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:57am

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:

what exactly did shortarse do when he was ass Treasurer?????

Can you tell me in which years Shorten was Treasurer?

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:19am

Gnads wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:14am:
tickleandrose wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm:
The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

Bullshyte ... where does it all go or where has it all gone?

You should be ScoMos secretary.

Things need prioritisation.

It would be the same problem for labor as well.  There are alot of priorites out there: infrastructure, health care, education, the list goes on and on.   And with an ageing population, with less ratio of tax payers vs aged person.  The problem is only going to get worse and worse, since we are also going into a phase where we are anti migration.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:32am

Aussie wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:57am:
cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 7:13am:

what exactly did shortarse do when he was assTreasurer?????

Can you tell me in which years Shorten was Treasurer?

https://www.smh.com.au/business/payday-lenders-meet-with-ass-treasurer-20110909-...

The payday lending industry says more consultation with government is likely after leaders met with Assistant Treasurer Bill Shorten to thrash out reforms aiming to put predatory lenders out of business.

Industry lobby group, the National Financial Services Federation (NFSF), said it looked forward to further consultation with the government to achieve reforms that both protect vulnerable Australians and keep the industry viable for consumers that use short-term loans.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print