Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Care for the Aged (Read 5577 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Care for the Aged
Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:05pm

There can be no doubt that the ABC has pushed Morrison into announcing the Royal Commission.  That is going to reveal very repugnant repulsive deplorable stuff I am sure.  Just reading the ABC www site is just awful including pictures of what some scumbag inside a facility would call a meal.

4 Corners tonight kicks it off and I doubt I'll be able to bring myself to watch it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Care for the Aged
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:11pm

Link.

Quote:
Would you eat this? The real food inside aged care facilities in Australia

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm

This will surely be a vote winner, cunning.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:20pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:15pm:

Ah.....so you are saying that this is a cynical political move, and nothing to do with genuine concern for identifying and fixing a problem, AND prosecuting truly evil bastards?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:20pm:

Ah.....so you are saying that this is a cynical political move, and nothing to do with genuine concern for identifying and fixing a problem, AND prosecuting truly evil bastards?

Yeah pretty much, just like lowering the age of retirement, is he targeting the aged vote or tugging at the heart strings or both, takes a brilliant man like scomo to realize there is a problem in these facilities, give him a medal for having a royal commission.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm:

Yeah pretty much, just like lowering the age of retirement, is he targeting the aged vote or tugging at the heart strings or both, takes a brilliant man like scomo to realize there is a problem in these facilities, give him a medal for having a royal commission.

The problem with that silly position is two fold.

1.  Months ago, Labor put it to Government that there was a crisis in the industry and the Minister poo pooed their concern, almost went so far as to say that even the mere making of the allegation amounted to elder abuse.

2.  The Libs will have been well aware that the ABC was investigating the matter, and had been for months, and that the issue was going to 'air' tonight on Four Corners ~ hence the 'out of left field' week-end announcement of the RC by Morrison.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:50pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:37pm:
Johnnie wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:29pm:

The problem with that silly position is two fold.

1.  Months ago, Labor put it to Government that there was a crisis in the industry and the Minister poo pooed their concern, almost went so far as to say that even the mere making of the allegation amounted to elder abuse.

2.  The Libs will have been well aware that the ABC was investigating the matter, and had been for months, and that the issue was going to 'air' tonight on Four Corners ~ hence the 'out of left field' week-end announcement of the RC by Morrison.

They were dousing people in kero decades ago for lice and the ABC were aware of that, its good to see their investigation continues, scomo will sort this out, he is my hero.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm

What ever you do, when you get old, don't have a curry responsible for your care.

It is alleged Hornsby man Prakash Paudyal pulled at the 82-year-old man's shirt, and used a shoe to hit him repeatedly at Bupa Aged Care Seaforth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/aged-care-worker-allegedly-assaults-elderl...

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:04pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
What ever you do, when you get old, don't have a curry responsible for your care.

It is alleged Hornsby man Prakash Paudyal pulled at the 82-year-old man's shirt, and used a shoe to hit him repeatedly at Bupa Aged Care Seaforth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-06/aged-care-worker-allegedly-assaults-elderl...

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, I will be requesting a blonde Swedish voluptuous chick.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:10pm

I'm not going to get old......ever

I'm studiously searching for a vampire,

Does anyone know one?

Promise I'll only feed on politicians and muzzos.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm

The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:39pm

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm:
The bottom line is that there is not enough money.  If everyone is to be treated with standards that we hope for, then, we may well bankrupt the country.   Its every man and woman for themselves!

Yes.  Most in Aged Care have nothing more than the pension.  The Facility will take most if not all of that, leaving the individual almost penniless and entirely at the mercy of the Facility which will skimp at every opportunity to maximise its profit at the cost to the individual.

Disgraceful.  Labor was right.....this is a crisis, and money needs to be pumped in.....BUT......there has to be very close scrutiny on every Facility.

Me....I'd have a very well paid Government person embedded in every FACILITY charged with the responsibility of ensuring there is no abuse of individuals, that they are well fed and properly cared for in every respect, and no rip-off by the Facility.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:42pm

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:31pm:

A Call to Arms!!  Rise Up In Your Righteous Wrath and Take What Is Yours By birthright!  Eat The Rich!

I was on this subject elsewhere and raised the question of why, if private enterprise is so efficient etc, the government would prefer to pay subsidies to private enterprise, thus feeding their profit line, than actually run aged care itself at a lower cost and guaranteed return of tax etc back into THIS economy...

Or even pay more for a home carer within family.... we see a relentless push to pay women for staying at home and sprogging etc... I mean - where else can this nonsense about 'income gap' and 'superannuation gap' go, if not to pay women to stay at home?

So - to save on subsidies to enrich foreign investors - would we not be better off having a paid in-home family carer?

If private enterprise is so much more efficient - why does it need subsidies that often vanish offshore into tax havens or into the ten million dollar home for the daughter of one of the principals?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:49pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 4:55pm:

can we stick to the serious situations many of our aged  are in gordon... maybe you are lucky and never had to put a loved one into the 24 hour care of strangers......maybe you will also be lucky enough to never have to go into one yourself...

but I would say an awful lot of folks will end up there...including myself...errrrrrrrrrk  although my daughter says it will never happen  and my granddaughter who worked a few years in aged care   said in a very loud voice   you are never going in one of those place.......maybe they will bury mi in the backyard...

as it is to see how they are treated is 3rd world..

what on earth is the point of science doing its level best to make us all live longer..... if you end up being a burden like that... bloody disgusting  and the people that serve it up should stand up and refuse to do it I bet they wouldnt eat it themselves...   

gawd you wouldnt feed a dog food like that...

can you imagine prisoners putting up with food like that???

it wouldnt happen     Angry Angry Angry Angry

where is our conscience?... Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 5:50pm

It's a bugger of a situation, keeping an old person accomodated, fed, activated and with access to medical treatment costs more than the pension. Reverse mortgages are resisted by family's so it is down to government to pay the gap.

How much to pay? What would be the cost per day at a standard we would tolerate?  And who pays that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print