Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Most People Won't Like This (Read 1709 times)
Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Most People Won't Like This
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:21pm

Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:55pm:
Dnarever wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:47pm:
Cu Chulainn wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 2:28pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 2:24pm:
Think back to when you first started school, how did you act compared to all the other kids?

I can't remember that was 35 yrs ago. I can't even remember the room.

Without a memory, you're not really qualified to discuss this topic

Can you remember when you were 5 with any degree of confidence?

I can remember when I was 18 months old. I told my mum about when her mum and sister came to Perth and the presents they brought and where we were sitting at the table. My mum said you can't possibly remember that you were 18 months old. I recounted the gift, a cup, a small plate and a bowl wrapped in tissue paper with rabbits on them all. I didn't know of Peter Rabbit then but that's what I think they were.

Edit: Now I think about it there are a few more memories from before school I have.

I think many people remember a hand full of very specific early memories.

I remember my grandmother falling over. She died before I was 2. Also remember my cousin as a baby he was 12 months younger than me. However the vast majority of mundane memory has long gone.

Maybe more than a handful. There are quite a few things I remember from before school, many things I remember from when I was young, after starting school. Some of them as clear as day. If it was not for me holding them all my life I might think I was in early stages of Oldtimers.

I was thinking pre 2 yo. Of course going to 5 expands the scope to quite a few things.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:35pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 8:48pm:

Most People Won't Like This

In my case you were right.

The issue is not so much about liking it as that it is obviously rubbish.

Nah.

For me, it sounds like its 'on the money'.

Quote:

You don't get apples from pumpkin seeds

But isn't that 'pre-determination' ?

Meaning, individuals don't really have any real opportunity, to 'change' themselves [i.e. their 'nature'] ?

Its deep.

Life.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:40pm

I can remember a lot, from my early childhood,    ....a lot, about always having to adapt, to, frequently, new circumstances i was confronted with.

But i made it.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 10:12pm

PZ547 wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 1:52pm:

Child's character fixed at birth, says top geneticist

More correctly, fixed at conception

For me, it sounds like its 'on the money'.

Quote:

You don't get apples from pumpkin seeds

Example,      a 'bad seed'.

Quote:

The man arrested and charged with the 2017 murder of Burnaby teen Marrisa Shen arrived in Canada as a refugee from Syria just months before she was killed, say police.

Ibrahim Ali, 28, was arrested without incident Friday in Burnaby, where he lives, and later charged with first-degree murder, according to the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

Ali did not appear to know Shen, and Shen did not know Ali, said Supt. Donna Richardson, the officer in charge of IHIT.

Police believed from the start that the murder had been random and Richardson said investigators still hold that belief......

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/police-to-share-significant-update-in-m...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1537172596/0#0

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 17th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Even in that article, that geneticist seems to suggest genetics and environment.

Exactly what i was thinking, but then again the Daily Mail isn't exactly the most reliable source.

from the article
Quote:
DNA accounts for at least half the variance in people’s psychological traits, much more than any other single factor. Put simply, ‘nature’ trumps ‘nurture’ every time

It is a false dichotomy. Our psychological traits are affected by both nature and nurture by varying degrees. It falls on a spectrum.
The Daily Mail has just fallen for the old conservative idea that everything is binary.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print