Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Commission Votes For The Whales And Our Oceans (Read 567 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Commission Votes For The Whales And Our Oceans
Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:53am

International Whaling Commission votes for the whales and our oceans   Smiley

Saturday, 15 September 2018
Sea Shepherd News

International Whaling Commission member nations voted down a Japanese Government proposal to resume commercial whaling on Friday, September 14. Japan’s ‘The Way Forward’ submission was defeated by a vote of 41-27 in Florianopolis, Brazil.   

Sea Shepherd Australia’s Jeff Hansen stated: "Kudos to all those countries at the IWC that stood strong in representing the great whales, our oceans and future generations.

"Whales play an integral role in providing rich nutrients via their flocculent plumes for plankton, the basis of our ocean food chains. Whales therefore are critical to our oceans health, to fisheries and to the very air that we humans breathe so in essence, the countries standing up for the whales at the IWC are choosing to put the survival of our oceans and humanity first," Mr Hansen said.

“Sea Shepherd has more than done its share over the years with over a decade defending the whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, resulting in over 6,000 whales saved.   Smiley

"Sea Shepherd is calling on the Australian Government to live up to their pre-election promise, to send a vessel south this summer to oppose bloody whaling the southern ocean whale sanctuary, or their will be blood in the water and blind eye in Canberra. Sea Shepherd is also calling on the Australian government to look at all legal options, for instance taking Japan to the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea," concluded Mr Hansen.

Email Prime Minister Scott Morrison to send a vessel south this summer: https://seashepherd.good.do/whaledefence/ewhale_defence/

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Commission Votes For The Whales And Our Oceans
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:56am

Thank heavens for the good people of the Sea Shepherd.   Smiley

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 12:48pm

Was whale watching yesterday (again) - the good ship whale watcher went out and I couldn't see a whale anywhere near it... saw some a way off, but the boat didn't see them apparently since it didn't go towards them.

Whales are cunning and often stay away from boats - for good reason given the propensity of Nips to kill them.  They also can be curious and come up close to a boat to say hello... they even come close to shore and 'play' in close proximity to humans watching .... that indicates they are pretty smart to me......

Ban whaling NOW!  It's a total nonsense and of no use at all.  We export heaps of cows and sheep to Japan... no shortage of high protein foods....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:39pm

whiteknight wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 6:56am:
Thank heavens for the good people of the Sea Shepherd.   Smiley

Are you suggesting Sea Shepherd is pulling the IWC's strings?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:47pm

“Sea Shepherd has more than done its share over the years with over a decade defending the whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, resulting in over 6,000 whales saved.   Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:52pm

Sea Shepherd has abandoned the whales. That was probably the only thing they have ever done that actually helps whale conservation in the long term. They taint every movement they attach themselves to.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 2:10pm

whiteknight wrote on Sep 16th, 2018 at 1:47pm:

can you give us an example of ONE thing they have actually done ???

apart from almost causing WW111....

sea shepherd has been taken over by the vandals of the world....where do they get their massive finance from????.....tell us about that with links crook?..

nothing is what it seems these days   and I am sure this lot is up there with the best Angry

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2018 at 3:09pm

Sea Shepherd Steve Irwin vessel arrives at Abbot Point with First Nations People   Smiley

Wednesday, 08 August 2018  Shepherd News

TODAY, at sunrise, the M/Y Steve Irwin vessel arrived at Abbot Point, as part of the at sea component of Operation Reef Defence, in opposition of the Adani coal mine and in defence of the Great Barrier Reef.   Smiley

Ngaro elder Ken Dodds stated, “First Nations people, Burri, Juru, Ngaro and Giao, stand united with Sea Shepherd and crew against the destruction of the sea land and rivers and the reef. It is our role and responsibility as custodians and guardians of our sacred lands and waters to protect it for our future generations."

Githabul man, and M/Y Steve Irwin Quartermaster, Jarmbi stated: “Together with my brothers and sisters onboard the Steve Irwin, I am proud to stand strong and in respect with the Ngaro, Burri, Juru and Giao people in opposition of the Adani coal mine, for our Mother Earth, for our people and for our Great Barrier Reef.

"We hope to open the hearts of Adani and their workers, let them feel, love and appreciation for all creation, that they may reconnect with nature, that they may see what they are doing to our planet, to nature and ultimately to their own children. We are all in this together and we can not continue to treat our Mother Earth this way."

Captain Malcolm Holland stated: “I am proud of my crew, for its execution of the mission up to now, however, we're far from finished here. Our initial voyage for the at-sea component of Operation Reef Defence has seen measurable success, and it’s felt that we're just getting underway now in our campaign to protect the Reef, and our hopes for a continually liveable environment for our children."

First Mate, Haans Siver stated: “Its been an honour to sail with this crew in defending a piece of my own backyard, our Great Barrier Reef, to serve and work to protect an Australian Icon that needs our help. Allowing this coal mine to go ahead, would simply be un-Australian. If we can’t save the Great Barrier Reef, what can we save?"

Campaign coordinator, Scott Wallace, stated: “Canberra’s backing of this Adani coal mine is completely disrespectful of any agreements made by the Australian Government with the Paris climate conference. You do not transition out of fossil fuels to renewables, by backing one of the worlds biggest coal mines. With all the wind, space and sun Australia has, its a no brainer, this Adani coal mine should not and must not proceed."   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print