Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cruises (Read 1991 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Cruises
Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:48pm

Well, I know of someone again who is going on a Cruise.
Heaps of people seem to go on Cruises.
It's a very popular thing.
I've never been on one, but the impression I get is that they are floating
Leagues Clubs
that visit around the local Sahul/Oceanic islands or even afar to Asia & North America.

Has anyone been on any and what recommendations?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sophia

Re: Cruises
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:48pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:48pm:
Well, I know of someone again who is going on a Cruise.
Heaps of people seem to go on Cruises.
It's a very popular thing.
I've never been on one, but the impression I get is that they are floating
Leagues Clubs
that visit around the local Sahul/Oceanic islands or even afar to Asia & North America.

Has anyone been on any and what recommendations?

Cruising is getting more and more popular. More ships, and bigger ships!

We just went on a cruise aboard the Carnival Spirit, from Sydney to the South Pacific Islands (New Caledonia, Mare and Isle of Pines)

About 9 years ago we went there on our first cruise, aboard the Sun Princess.

This cruise we had our 34 yr old daughter come aboard, (her very first cruise), and loved seeing her expressions as she saw the ship docked. She said "It's big!"
Then when boarding, and once inside, she was amazed, and just kept saying "Wow" as she looked around.
She totally loved the whole experience.

We have been on 6 cruises now, and our thoughts are that we want to experience a different ship every time.

Two years ago, we went on a holiday to see Canada by bus tour, and then to Seatle, to board the Norwegian Jewel to cruise along the inside passage of Alaska. It was amazing.

So I heard, the Norwegian Jewel is now in Australia, and I would highly recommend that ship, it's a colourfully decorated ship, and fun.

We are booked to go aboard the Ovation of the Seas early next year, to New Zealand. So looking forward to a huge ship.

The only thing I don't like about cruising, are....airports!
We got caught up in that bad day at Sydney a few weeks ago, our flight back after the cruise, was cancelled and couldn't get a flight till next day.
Lucky we are compensated for the hotel we stayed at. It was the Mantra, and overlooking the whole of Sydney Airport, and lightening, and heavy rains, and then, the whole airport just went deathly quiet. All flights stopped, huge delays spilling over into the next day.

One thing you will love on cruises, the buffet! It's so hard not to eat such a variety to cater to all tastes. My daughter is gluten intolerant, and the food staff were absolutely wonderful to her, she felt like a VIP.

There's only one ship I didn't like, we went to Moreton Island, and it was on the P & O Jewel, it may as well be the P & O Jinx.

I've since found out other people on different cruises on that ship, experience problems of a different nature.
Just a jinxed ship.
Apart from that, it makes all the others extremely good ships.
You get to do dress ups, like the "80"s or Mexican, and also formal photos. Love the photo shoots.
If there is anything in particular you want to ask, let me know here and I will try and answer.
Cheers  Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:26am

It really sounds awesome.
Is the buffet 'all you can eat' or do you pay for your dinners?
I guess you pay for your drinks?

Yep - so many different Cruises out there and Ships. I can see why its so popular. Many 'rich' retirees actually buy and live permanently upon Cruise liners I've been told.

Airports are a pain. I know 'weather' can disrupt things considerably. But Companies that 'budget' their Pilots and then a few call in sick with no replacements - is a poor choice of Economics and Professionalism.

Hotels/Motels LOVE stranded Passengers though.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:01am

"Is the buffet 'all you can eat' or do you pay for your dinners?
I guess you pay for your drinks
?"

Yes the buffet is 'all you can eat', and dinners in the evening are included also.

You have a choice if you wish to do the more formal evening meals, or go to the buffet. There is different menus each and every time.

Also the pizza place was open 24 hours.

There are exclusive restaurants that you can go to and pay for if you wish.

Drinks such as morning fruit juices, tea, coffee, water, are all included.

Soft serve ice creams are included.

You can buy drink packages for soft drinks or alcoholic beverages, or just buy them when you feel like having one.
I found the beverages rather expensive, example is $16 for a cocktail.

The money I saved not drinking alcohol, I spent on photos. They are between $16 and $30 each.

Lots of different backdrops and photo opportunities with formal evenings, or dress up nights. Dress ups can be Mexican, 80's, Pirates, Islanders, etc.

I don't think I could cruise for more than 12 days, when we went to South Sea Islands, from Melbourne for our first cruise in 2009 (a longer way than from Sydney), we had 4 cruise days there, and then back again after all the island hopping, and I started to feel a bit tired of the sea days, and couldn't wait to be on land.

But then again, that was a rough time to travel, as we were heading into the side of a cyclone that hit Fiji at the time.
Rough as anything, and as we were in an inside cabin, all I could hear was the cabin creaking and groaning, I couldn't stay there! I went up top deck and just watched the sea for hours.

Since that, all other cruises seemed like a piece of cake!
Even if others say they thought the cruise was rough, I would say "Are you kidding, you don't know what rough is!!" Grin
BTW....I have to have either a window or a balcony since  Smiley And the prices are way more reasonable now than they were back 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:40am

Rooty Hill RSL by sea.

IBI

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:08pm

Gordon wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 12:40am:
Rooty Hill RSL by sea.

I don't know much about that, most cruises are very family orientated with children everywhere, and last cruise, the children had a Dr. Seuss parade, chanting at the top of their little voices, it was so darn cute  Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:16pm

I've been told that there are different cruises for different people.
Like Carnival (?) is very kiddie orientated, while another is for the conservative mature and there's one for 'singles' etc.

I remember my 'oldie' parents not liking the one with heaps of kids - too noisy.

Rooty Hill RSL - possibly the nation's most famous RSL. Well, I'm sure the Cruise Liners leave the RSL's, League's Clubs and other venues for dead. Especially when these Cruise Liners actually 'travel' places and go to different destinations...
...I mean, Rooty RSL is great - but once you step out the doors - the suburb itself is a real dive (and that's no snorkel).

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:33pm

They do have different cruises to suit different age groups, they have also comedy cruises, rock n roll cruises, anything to keep their boat$$ afloat  Smiley
I must admit, the last cruise was very noisy with chirpy kids, and it wasn't even during the school holidays  Shocked
I wondered how this cruise could be filled with so many children (lucky for the Serenity Adult Only area, so peaceful).

I found out that the cruise line offered a deal with families to book a cruise, and children cruise free.
So that's how come so many didn't go to school that week and went cruising....well why not, great deal. Kids had the best fun, hot dog, burger and chips and tacos, and soft serve ice-cream all day long, all by the pool area.

Like I said, thank goodness for the Serenity area!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Well its good then that there are many different types of Cruises with many different types of destinations.

I remember when it was just P&O and a few others just getting around. It was mostly for oldies and singles.
They were also notorious for food poisonings and flu outbreaks.
If one person coughed, then within a week - the whole ship was sick. These days, they have some pretty well trained Medical personnel on board.
Don't know if I would work on one. Seems a lot of hard work for poor pay, unless you were high up.

Anyone have sea-sick remedies?

I remember my first 'cruise' across Cook Straight in New Zealand: I was crook as anything.
But then again, I get boat sick easy - ironic considering I'm a Diver. But once I turn
green
, I just jump into the
blue
and all is well.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 9:57pm

I know of some mid age folk that went on their first cruise during the 1970's, saying it was like an old Russian battle tank.
They have never gone on a cruise since!
I am trying to convince them it's really good now, more stable, better food and service and entertainment, as back then, all they did was just drink drink drink.

Mind you, some still do that on cruises, get the ole wobbly boot on  Grin

As for sea sickness...if you worry you may feel queasy, you can take some sort of tablets (can't remember the name) from the chemist to take the night before you set sail, and for a day or two after sail away, just to be sure.

But what I found helps is.....not overdoing the food or alcohol on the first day and night.
Get a good nights sleep, then you should be find thereafter.

And those sea bands, you wear them on your wrist (available at chemists) I was watching a youtube video of a pregnant woman that was feeling sick, and someone gave her these sea bands to wear, and she said she felt better, seemed to work.
It applies pressure on the inside of your wrist...like pressure acupuncture.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 11:20pm

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print