Send Topic Print
Another Fukushima? (Read 2376 times)
Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Another Fukushima?
Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:46am

Hurricane Florence achieves DIRECT HIT on Brunswick nuclear power plant in Southport, NC… pray for our safety

Friday, September 14, 2018

(Natural News) Hurricane Florence, which achieved landfall early Friday morning, has achieved a direct hit on the Brunswick nuclear power facility in Southport, NC. The eye of the hurricane — where the winds are the most severe — is right now swirling directly over the nuclear power containment buildings, battering them with 100+ MPH winds.

As Natural News reported earlier, there are at least twelve active nuclear power plants in the direct path of Hurricane Florence. Many Americans are concerned about whether these nuclear power facilities are prepared to survive a worst-case scenario of a direct hit.

Now, we know that direct hit has taken place. Thankfully, hurricane winds dropped from 140 MPH to around 100 MPH over the last 48 hours. This may be the saving grace that prevents these nuclear power plants from being severely damaged or destroyed by the storm.

As the map shows, below, the Brunswick power plant is located just South of Wilmington, North Carolina. This is precisely where the eye of the hurricane made landfall

North Carolina officials are currently reporting that nearly half a million customers have lost power.

Media lies to the public about the shutting down of nuclear power plants
The Brunswick nuclear power plant is one of several that have been reportedly “shut down” before the storm’s arrival. But the media, not surprisingly, has been systematically lying to the public about these shut downs.

Nuclear power plants require weeks of cooling pumps to function for an effective shutdown. They can’t simply be switched off in an instant like a light switch. If the cooling pumps fail at any time during the weeks-long shutdown procedure, the nuclear fuel rods can boil off the coolant water and rise in temperature until a nuclear meltdown occurs.

None of this is being reported to the public by the lying media, which routinely whitewashes the risks of nuclear power.

At this point, all we can do is hope and pray the Brunswick nuclear facilities withstand the winds and floods of the storm. Even if something goes wrong with one or more of these facilities, rest assured the media will lie and cover it up even while radiation is released into the atmosphere, just like they all did during the Fukushima catastrophe.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:51am by Richdude »  

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Re: Another Fukushima?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 6:57am

Unlikely.

What is likely is that when Florence goes over the massive hog manure storage facilities in North Carolina, well, you get the idea ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:15am

The storm looks OK for now.
The gusts are at 100mph but most of time it's not that severe.
I don't think any nuclear power stations will be affected.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:27am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:15am:

We can only hope.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:38am

Quote:
“LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT” Signs Appear As Florence Bears Down, S.C. Governor: “Looters Will Be Shown No Mercy”

I like the way they roll in the US.. . Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:42am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:38am:
Quote:
“LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT” Signs Appear As Florence Bears Down, S.C. Governor: “Looters Will Be Shown No Mercy”

I like the way they roll in the US.. . Smiley

Your story is true:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/09/looters-will-be-shot-signs-appear-as-fl...

and

https://twitter.com/gatewaypundit/status/1040713554725404672

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:49am

The comments are hilariously depressing.

There is no tragedy that the Trumptards or their favoured conspiracy bloggers won't exploit.

They have no shame.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:52am

Its not the winds, its the storm surge and rain - 3' or more - that means flooding. Breaking all records. Many of these 16 reactors are at sea level or on flood plains.

Fukishima was a disaster because the emergency cooling backup diesels engines were flooded. It was a GE reactor - same as most of these - old design.

So we have old reactors sitting on potential flood zones and highest flooding on record - what could go wrong?

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:53am

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 7:49am:

There is no tragedy that the Trumptards or their favoured conspiracy bloggers won't exploit.

They have no shame.

Your stupidity is depressing!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Richdude wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:52am:

Its not the winds, its the storm surge and rain - 3' or more - that means flooding. Breaking all records. Many of these 16 reactors are at sea level or on flood plains.

Fukishima was a disaster because the emergency cooling backup diesels engines were flooded. It was a GE reactor - same as most of these - old design.

So we have old reactors sitting on potential flood zones and highest flooding on record - what could go wrong?

So far  so good.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm

Richdude wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:53am:

They have no shame.

I point out how callous the Trump supporters are being by trying to politicise the issue and you call me stupid?

Is there anything you won't defend from the right?

Wake up you fool.  You can't just insult your way out of the truth.

And you'll notice (if you can comprehend past a headline) that TGP censors any comments that aren't 110% in support of the narrative that is being commented on. 

So naturally if you look at the comments it seems that it's true that all looters are black and black only, they only vote Dems, Democrat Mayors hand out drugs to their constituents in times like this when they can't score, they condone looting of their communities and even if you kill a looting democrat voter, it won't help the cause because they can vote illegally from beyond the grave.

Those who took the time, passed moderation and weren't just censored and commented on the article are trying to politicise the issue of an ongoing natural disaster.

If you don't find that depressing that these armchair warriors would do such a thing, while complaining about how bad the left are yourself, you're a big part of the problem.

Or perhaps I'm just stupid and should go buy a MAGA hat made in China and start lying to myself so I can believe everything that Trump says, even when the end of his sentence contradicts the beginning.

I guess I'd also need to forget what the word "contradict" or even "sentence" mean, that's far too intelligible for the idiot crowd I need to be a part of in order to not be considered stupid by such a dazzling intellect as yourself Rich.

Bugger used to mean big words again.

MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

(that's better)

Rich, if you want to defend those comments or any of the bullshit claims already made, be my guest, but it gives you no right to claim that someone else is being stupid when you support such disgusting actions. 

But let's say they're not serious and are just trolling, or joking around.  Comedy = tragedy + time.  "Plus TIME".  Commenting like this while the storm is in progress if they're joking and not simply exploiting the plight of the people in the path of the storm for political reasons isn't much better.

I'll remind you of how you supported this the next time you take issue with something the left has said to remind you that it's ok because you've condoned it and even gone as far as defending it by attacking anyone calling it out.

But if you want to keep defending it, you will have only proven the type of person you are more than anything else.

The stage is yours sunshine.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:30pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm:

They have no shame.

I point out how callous the Trump supporters are being by trying to politicise the issue and you call me stupid?

And you'll notice (if you can comprehend past a headline) that TGP censors any comments that aren't 110% in support of the narrative that is being commented on. 

So naturally if you look at the comments it seems that it's true that all looters are black and black only, they only vote Dems, Democrat Mayors hand out drugs to their constituents in times like this when they can't score, they condone looting of their communities and even if you kill a looting democrat voter, it won't help the cause because they can vote illegally from beyond the grave.

Those who took the time, passed moderation and weren't just censored and commented on the article are trying to politicise the issue of an ongoing natural disaster.

If you don't find that depressing that these armchair warriors would do such a thing, while complaining about how bad the left are yourself, you're a big part of the problem.

Or perhaps I'm just stupid and should go buy a MAGA hat made in China and start lying to myself so I can believe everything that Trump says, even when the end of his sentence contradicts the beginning.

I guess I'd also need to forget what the word "contradict" or even "sentence" mean, that's far too intelligible for the idiot crowd I need to be a part of in order to not be considered stupid by such a dazzling intellect as yourself Rich.

(that's better)

Rich, if you want to defend those comments or any of the bullshit claims already made, be my guest, but it gives you no right to claim that someone else is being stupid when you support such disgusting actions. 

But let's say they're not serious and are just trolling, or joking around.  Comedy = tragedy + time.  "Plus TIME".  Commenting like this while the storm is in progress if they're joking and not simply exploiting the plight of the people in the path of the storm for political reasons isn't much better.

I'll remind you of how you supported this the next time you take issue with something the left has said to remind you that it's ok because you've condoned it and even gone as far as defending it by attacking anyone calling it out.

But if you want to keep defending it, you will have only proven the type of person you are more than anything else.

I am not politicizing the issue - you fool.

This storm hopefully will pass over without causing any damage to the reactors. But a reactor melt down on the heavily populated East Coast is something not to taken lightly.

I am an engineer and was a hydrologist. I know these reactors are built to withstand extreme weather up to 100 year events. However this storm has broken all rainfall records in places.

Just because these reactors have operated safely for the last 40 years or so doesn't mean that they will - forever.

Perhaps future reactors will use thorium instead but thats another story.

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:38am

Richdude wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 11:30pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Sep 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm:

They have no shame.

(that's better)

I am not politicizing the issue - you fool.

This storm hopefully will pass over without causing any damage to the reactors. But a reactor melt down on the heavily populated East Coast is something not to taken lightly.

I am an engineer and was a hydrologist. I know these reactors are built to withstand extreme weather up to 100 year events. However this storm has broken all rainfall records in places.

Just because these reactors have operated safely for the last 40 years or so doesn't mean that they will - forever.

Perhaps future reactors will use thorium instead but thats another story.

[i] Sadly I can read the minds of these lunatics and their minions in the media. It takes weeks for a reactor to cool day not hours as reported in the lying fake news.[/i] The media has had a news bl
The aptly named Cape Fear River is still rising.

Emergency declared at Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina… all personnel blocked from entering the facility as “hot shutdown” under way

Monday, September 17, 2018 by: Mike Adams      
Tags: Brunswick, emergency, FEMA, Flooding, hot shutdown, Hurricane Florence, NRC, nuclear meltdown, nuclear power, storm
VIEWS
Image: Emergency declared at Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina… all personnel blocked from entering the facility as “hot shutdown” under way

(Natural News) The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has declared a state of emergency for both units of the Brunswick nuclear power facilities in North Carolina. An “unusual event” has occurred which is interfering with the ongoing “hot shutdown” of the nuclear power plants (a process which takes several weeks to complete).

Full details of the event are found at this NRC.gov nuclear power plant alert page, which states:

UNUSUAL EVENT DUE TO SITE CONDITIONS PREVENTING PLANT ACCESS

“A hazardous event has resulted in on site conditions sufficient to prohibit the plant staff from accessing the site via personal vehicles due to flooding of local roads by Tropical Storm Florence.”

Notified DHS SWO, FEMA OPS, and DHS NICC. Notified FEMA NWC, NuclearSSA, and FEMA NRCC via email.

In other words, the Brunswick power facilities can no longer be accessed by workers and technicians even as they are running a “hot shutdown” which requires human oversight.

The Brunswick power plants, in other words, are running blind.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:43am by Richdude »  

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 8:30am

I see the problem now Richdude. You're using Natural News as a source. Its reputation as an anti-science quackery source is second to none.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 10:21am

Richdude wrote on Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:38am:
[i] Sadly I can read the minds of these lunatics and their minions in the media. It takes weeks for a reactor to cool day not hours as reported in the lying fake news.[/i] The media has had a news bl
The aptly named Cape Fear River is still rising.

Emergency declared at Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina… all personnel blocked from entering the facility as “hot shutdown” under way

Monday, September 17, 2018 by: Mike Adams      
Tags: Brunswick, emergency, FEMA, Flooding, hot shutdown, Hurricane Florence, NRC, nuclear meltdown, nuclear power, storm
VIEWS
Image: Emergency declared at Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina… all personnel blocked from entering the facility as “hot shutdown” under way

(Natural News) The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has declared a state of emergency for both units of the Brunswick nuclear power facilities in North Carolina. An “unusual event” has occurred which is interfering with the ongoing “hot shutdown” of the nuclear power plants (a process which takes several weeks to complete).

Full details of the event are found at this NRC.gov nuclear power plant alert page, which states:

UNUSUAL EVENT DUE TO SITE CONDITIONS PREVENTING PLANT ACCESS

“A hazardous event has resulted in on site conditions sufficient to prohibit the plant staff from accessing the site via personal vehicles due to flooding of local roads by Tropical Storm Florence.”

Notified DHS SWO, FEMA OPS, and DHS NICC. Notified FEMA NWC, NuclearSSA, and FEMA NRCC via email.

In other words, the Brunswick power facilities can no longer be accessed by workers and technicians even as they are running a “hot shutdown” which requires human oversight.

The Brunswick power plants, in other words, are running blind.

Rich, do you even care that the bulk of your post is entirely wrong?

It's coming from a source that is pro-coal and anti-everything else when it comes to power generation.

The plant is not running blind. 

All but one of the access roads were either cut by flood waters or fallen trees.  Access is being restored to the roads cut by fallen trees and the flood waters are being monitors. 

The plant was already shut down before the Hurrican and was in a hot-standby state so it could quickly resume operations if safe.

Officials said the plant is accessible from one route due to the floodwaters. However, because there are not multiple routes available the plant was placed under an “unusual event,” which is the lowest alert level under Nuclear Regulatory Commission guidelines.

Because of the current situation, they're initiating a full shutdown. 

The plant itself has been unaffected, but due to possible increases flood levels and issues accessing to the plant, they're following regulations and have declared an"unusual event" in accordance with NRC guidelines and are shutting it down.

The staff are staying at the plant in cots using portable toilets because the water was shut off. They have food, drinking water and other supplies, all of this planned for well in advance.

None of what you have said is correct.

Are you that partisan that you don't care that you're spreading fake news?

My advice to anyone who bothers to read the posts by Trump supporters (or really anyone, but especially Trump supporters), fact check their claims.  It's not hard.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print