Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Serena Willams cartoon (Read 9471 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Serena Willams cartoon
Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:25pm

Australian newspaper doubles down on racist Serena Williams cartoon

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/11/australia/australia-racist-cartoon-serena-int...

CNN Digital Expansion 2017. James Griffiths

By James Griffiths, CNN

Updated 0515 GMT (1315 HKT) September 11, 2018.

The cartoon showed Williams jumping up and down next to a broken racket and pacifier, with large, exaggerated lips and nose reminiscent of racist depictions of black people in the US during the Jim Crow era.

The US-based National Association of Black Journalists said the cartoon was "repugnant on many levels."
"(It) not only exudes racist, sexist caricatures of both women, but Williams' depiction is unnecessarily sambo-like," the group said in a statement. "The art of editorial cartooning is a visual dialogue on the issues of the day, yet this cartoon grossly inaccurately depicts two women of color at the US Open, one of the grandest stages of professional sports."

Angry reaction
Knight -- an award-winning cartoonist who has worked for the Herald Sun for decades -- told his employer he was "amazed" by the reaction to the cartoon, which he said did not attract significant criticism until it was picked up on Twitter by users in the US.
"It's been picked up by social media in the US and my phone has just melted down," he said. "The world has just gone crazy."

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:32pm by Bobby. »  

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Serena Willams cartoon
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm

Can anyone tell me where racism can be seen in that cartoon?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/american-explains-why-he-believes-sere...

AN American political editor has explained why he believes an Australian cartoonist’s depiction of Serena Williams was racist — regardless of intent.

Dr Jason Johnson, who is also a professor of politics and journalism at Morgan State University, suggested the Herald Sun’s Mark Knight was aware he’d drawn Williams as a “brooding, big-lipped, almost ape-like” figure and that it was unnecessary in his endeavour to highlight her bad behaviour at the US Open.

“If the cartoon was purely about bad behaviour I don’t see why she had to be depicted the way she was. You can have her jumping up and down, whining, crying, whatever — that’s typical for sport … you can depict people as sore losers,” Dr Johnson told Melbourne’s 3AW.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:28pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm:
Can anyone tell me where racism can be seen in that cartoon?

That's the point Aussie,
the Yanks have no sense of humor.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:03pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/american-explains-why-he-believes-sere...

AN American political editor has explained why he believes an Australian cartoonist’s depiction of Serena Williams was racist — regardless of intent.

Dr Jason Johnson, who is also a professor of politics and journalism at Morgan State University, suggested the Herald Sun’s Mark Knight was aware he’d drawn Williams as a “brooding, big-lipped, almost ape-like” figure and that it was unnecessary in his endeavour to highlight her bad behaviour at the US Open.

“If the cartoon was purely about bad behaviour I don’t see why she had to be depicted the way she was. You can have her jumping up and down, whining, crying, whatever — that’s typical for sport … you can depict people as sore losers,” Dr Johnson told Melbourne’s 3AW.

How else can you draw her in that moment of dummy spitting?  Should he have drawn her as a Marilyn Munroe look-a-like or a Serena Williams look-a-like?

That's exactly what she looks like when she is wearing her angry dummy spitting pants.

Serena.....you ain't no oil painting, ya know.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:21pm

Here is a photo of her.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:25pm

maybe the super sensitive Americans  do not understand

CARTOONS... Smiley Smiley

thats what cartoonists draw....... isnt it?..

btw I thought he capture serena really well...

when you think of what the Yanks do to Trump..

this is really a joke isnt it???

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:38pm

cods wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 5:25pm:
maybe the super sensitive Americans  do not understand

CARTOONS... Smiley Smiley

thats what cartoonists draw....... isnt it?..

btw I thought he capture serena really well...

when you think of what the Yanks do to Trump..

this is really a joke isnt it???

And they always draw Tony Abbott with:
huge ears, skinny hairy legs in red budgie smugglers.
It's really funny. Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:22pm

Depicting a big, angry, black woman is wacist unless you are yourself one. It's identity politics at it's best.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 6:43pm

Hi Frank - I love those big luber lips.   Grin

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 7:24pm

Cartoonists generally exaggerate one or more specific features of a particular person, not only to highlight that attribute, but to help people identify with that individual.

howard was usually depicted as a short bald bloke with excessively ling eyebrows
Prince Charles was seen wandering around with Dumbo ears
Abbott, usually with big ears and a pair of budgie smugglers
Etc etc

Is it the cartoonists fault that frizzy hair and ball on lips are obvious features of Serina?

Political correctness has taken over common sense.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:58pm

If he had drawn the character as one half Serena and the other half John McEnroe, no one would have anything to complain about

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:09pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
If he had drawn the character as one half Serena and the other half John McEnroe, no one would have anything to complain about

Bad idea.
The gender benders would get involved and argue if it had a penis or not....then the whole man woman neutral thing.....nah bad idea.   Grin

The drawing is a cartoon. As cods has said...look what they do to their president yet this is anything different.
I can't wait till PC is dead.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:34pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:09pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 9:58pm:

Bad idea.
The gender benders would get involved and argue if it had a penis or not....then the whole man woman neutral thing.....nah bad idea.   Grin

The drawing is a cartoon. As cods has said...look what they do to their president yet this is anything different.
I can't wait till PC is dead.

Remember that old TV show from the UK called "Love thy Neighbor"

It would never be allowed on TV now.  Grin

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 2:04am

Bobby. wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:27pm:

I wonder if Dr Johnson actually sees Williams as a "brooding, big-lipped, almost ape-like". Because what I saw in the cartoon was of a tennis player throwing a tantrum for not getting her way. I happen to find Serena quite attractive. But her attitude was quite ugly that day.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print