Send Topic Print
THai cave rescue (Read 950 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
THai cave rescue
Sep 11th, 2018 at 12:42pm

I couldnt find the original thread but thought I'd update. Went to a NSW Cave rescue squad training over the weekend.

Basically the fallout was as follows.

The AFP divers were about as useful as tits on a bull. The problem seems to be that rather than send qualified unpaid volunteers over the Aus government preferred paid employees.

The Thai SEALs were untrained and were just following orders.

The reason there was so much dithering, that there seemed to be a thought from the Thai authorities that it would seem better to just say the cave flooded and killed the kids, rather than attempt a rescue, stuff up and kill the kids.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: THai cave rescue
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:28pm

I guess the AFP have something 'general' Cave Divers don't.
Power and a paycheck that goes with it.

No point whinging about it should have been you guys.
If you are so much 'better' - why didn't you all offer the Thai Govt a paycheck to float your own boat over the AFP and do a better job of it?
Chances are, you would all probably ask the Thai Govt to fund your efforts.

Put up or shut up!  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:34pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
I guess the AFP have something 'general' Cave Divers don't.
Power and a paycheck that goes with it.

No point whinging about it should have been you guys.
If you are so much 'better' - why didn't you all offer the Thai Govt a paycheck to float your own boat over the AFP and do a better job of it?
Chances are, you would all probably ask the Thai Govt to fund your efforts.

Put up or shut up!  Grin

"General" cave divers?

Like what would the AFP had.

And as for the "If you are so much 'better' - why didn't you all offer the Thai Govt a paycheck to float your own boat over the AFP and do a better job of it?"

They actually did. As I said our government didnt want a bar of it, the only reason the two Aussie guys went over there is because there were some Brits in Thailand who made it happen from their end.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:20pm

The AFP divers were about as useful as tits on a bull. The problem seems to be that rather than send qualified unpaid volunteers over the Aus government preferred paid employees.

The reason there was so much dithering, that there seemed to be a thought from the Thai authorities that it would seem better to just say the cave flooded and killed the kids, rather than attempt a rescue, stuff up and kill the kids

sounds like a huge dose of sour grapes to me...

they got everyone of them out without a scratch...

if they did all drown  I can understand the criticism

it was I believe a  Volunteer Navy Seal    who died sadly   Sad

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:56pm

cods wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:20pm:

The reason there was so much dithering, that there seemed to be a thought from the Thai authorities that it would seem better to just say the cave flooded and killed the kids, rather than attempt a rescue, stuff up and kill the kids

And the AFP guys did bugger all, it was the British guys who did the vast majority of the work. And thats the point of a debrief on a rescue to improve. Yes they got them all out, but it can always be done better.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:10pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 2:56pm:

And the AFP guys did bugger all, it was the British guys who did the vast majority of the work. And thats the point of a debrief on a rescue to improve. Yes they got them all out, but it can always be done better.

where you there bojack???....

you know this is the first criticism I have seen of that rescue...... the AFP guys where there... they could only do what they were allowed to do..

I do not know what that was as I too was not there..

did the AFPO guys get medals or something   for work they didnt do??....   news to me..

many people helped in that rescue  some did go and extra mile  simply because they had vast experience... 

but a lot of men worked their guts out  for hours at a time...... b ut they didnt get the huge media interest some got    but it doesnt mean they did BUGGWE All...

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm

not a single fatality  ( except the diver) and they all donated their and efforts time as far as I know- they didnt have too- ungrateful whining - all rescued alive- it was an amazing rescue- just a shame Bojack they didnt give you a chance to donate your time to the  to the rescue effort -

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:41pm

and you can show them how?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:42pm

Smiley

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:59pm

Agnes wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:41pm:

and you can show them how?

Certain aspects yes, as I said I volunteer for NSW Cave Rescue Squad. As soon as you take the argument you have nothing to learn you fail. I can learn from them too.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:00pm

Agnes wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm:
not a single fatality  ( except the diver) and they all donated their and efforts time as far as I know- they didnt have too- ungrateful whining - all rescued alive- it was an amazing rescue- just a shame Bojack they didnt give you a chance to donate your time to the  to the rescue effort -

The AFP guys were paid.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:08pm

Does not sound at all like sour grapes.  The facts are bursting your little "hero worship virtue signalling" bubbles is all.

I'll back Bojack to know far more about what happened than some pathetic sob sisters.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 4:12pm

Our captain has 30 years experience in cave rescue, 60 in caving in general, cave dives, solo caves and has extensive contacts worldwide. As a result, I'm telling you what he told me. The British guys that were there operated effectively and cleanly. The two Aussies that went from SA also operated extremely well and were needed.The complaint seemed to be about sending paid government officials with very little cave diving experience vs sending unpaid volunteers with huge amounts of cave diving experience

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:09pm

do you have a link?

or is this just made up Fake News?  Roll Eyes

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 10:19pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Sep 11th, 2018 at 8:09pm:
do you have a link?

or is this just made up Fake News?  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mechanic has the hypocrisy to ask SOMEONE ELSE for a link  Grin Grin Grin
maybe you should start providing links to your own posts before you start criticizing others

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print