Indonesia 2004 (Read 8820 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Indonesia 2004
Reply #75 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:06pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:34pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:23pm:
NO text that could be seen to contradict or challenge Islam was ever translated into Arabic in the 'golden age'.  None of the ancient Greek poetry or tragedies and comedies were translated into Arabic.

Abū Bishr Mattā b. Yūnus al-Qunnāʾī (Arabic: ﺍﺑﻮ ﺑﺸﺮ ﻣﺘﺎ ﺑﻦ ﻳﻮﻧﺲ ﺍﻟﻘﻨﺎﻱء‎; c. 870-20 June 940) was a Christian philosopher who played an important role in the transmission of the works of Aristotle to the Islamic world. He is famous for founding the Baghdad School of Aristotelian Philosophers. would have disagreed with you, Soren.  Oh, dear, tripped up, once again by reality?  Really?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

You confirm my point - highlighted -,  you stupid, semiliterare fool.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #76 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:34pm

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:06pm:
NO text that could be seen to contradict or challenge Islam was ever translated into Arabic in the 'golden age'.  None of the ancient Greek poetry or tragedies and comedies were translated into Arabic.

Abū Bishr Mattā b. Yūnus al-Qunnāʾī (Arabic: ﺍﺑﻮ ﺑﺸﺮ ﻣﺘﺎ ﺑﻦ ﻳﻮﻧﺲ ﺍﻟﻘﻨﺎﻱء‎; c. 870-20 June 940) was a Christian philosopher who played an important role in the transmission of the works of Aristotle to the Islamic world. He is famous for founding the Baghdad School of Aristotelian Philosophers. would have disagreed with you, Soren.  Oh, dear, tripped up, once again by reality?  Really?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

You failed to note, you claimed that, "NO text that could be seen to contradict or challenge Islam was ever translated into Arabic in the 'golden age'.  None of the ancient Greek poetry or tragedies and comedies were translated into Arabic."    Abū Bishr Mattā b. Yūnus al-Qunnāʾī did exactly that.  He translated texts which contradicted or challenged Islam into Arabic.  Funny that, Soren, hey?  Tsk, tsk. caught out by reality, yet again.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #77 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 7:26am

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 9:13am:
issuevoter wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 10:13pm:
issuevoter wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 5:54pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Basically, the 'traditionalists' - ie the anti-rationalists/pro sunna - won. Plunging the Islamic world into the current sorry state of anti-science and bigotry.

You conveniently left out sadistic violence. But are you implying the Shia are rational?

OK you don't want answer that. Try this one for size. Are you implying it is only the Sunni Muzlims who are anti-rational?

I was not talking about the sunni-shia divide. I'm talking about rationalists vs traditionalists - which as far as I know cuts across both sunnis and shias (though admittedly I'm not well versed in shia philosophy in its many different strains)

Do these "rationalists" believe the Koran is the word of God, and that Mohamed was God's Prophet?

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #78 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 11:31am

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 1:54pm:
Basically, the 'traditionalists' - ie the anti-rationalists/pro sunna - won. Plunging the Islamic world into the current sorry state of anti-science and bigotry.

You got your timeline wrong Gandalf. It was Muhammad who did that. Tough titties, off with their heads....

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 12:08pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:34pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:06pm:

You failed to note, you claimed that, "NO text that could be seen to contradict or challenge Islam was ever translated into Arabic in the 'golden age'.  None of the ancient Greek poetry or tragedies and comedies were translated into Arabic."    Abū Bishr Mattā b. Yūnus al-Qunnāʾī did exactly that.  He translated texts which contradicted or challenged Islam into Arabic.  Funny that, Soren, hey?  Tsk, tsk. caught out by reality, yet again.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Show us which ancient Greek text contradicting Islam was translated during the 'golden age'. Also, which poets, plays and tragedies, which political speeches or histories or law treatises.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 12:31pm

Whenever poor old Frank is corrected by G, he always goes chasing after Brian.

Do you know, old boy? Rather than throw a hissy when G corrects your historical accounts, it might be better to show some manners. Say thank you.

Remember, dear, we're British.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #81 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 9:59am

I find Gandalf's crediting Islam ("his Islamic cosmologists")with the work of Arab mathematicians disingenuous. Its like crediting ancient Greek paganism with Eratosthenes' calculation of the Earth's circumference. The religions, and their primitive interpretations of reality, have Phuq-all to do with it.

Its just another example of Gandalf clinging to the myth of a civilised Islam.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:51am

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 22nd, 2018 at 12:31pm:

Do you know, old boy? Rather than throw a hissy when G corrects your historical accounts, it might be better to show some manners. Say thank you.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1536484436/73#73

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:13am

Frank wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 10:51am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 22nd, 2018 at 12:31pm:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1536484436/73#73

Oh, old boy, your post merely confirms G's position. It's your standard "never ever - yes, but" post.

Number 5, I think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:18am

issuevoter wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 9:59am:
I find Gandalf's crediting Islam ("his Islamic cosmologists")with the work of Arab mathematicians disingenuous. Its like crediting ancient Greek paganism with Eratosthenes' calculation of the Earth's circumference. The religions, and their primitive interpretations of reality, have Phuq-all to do with it.

Right. Fancy clinging to the myth of an Islamic civilisation. Architecture, art, plumbing, Greek translators, what a lot of tosh.

We're British. Our dark ages were far superior, no?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:30am

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:18am:

Right. Fancy clinging to the myth of an Islamic civilisation. Architecture, art, plumbing, Greek translators, what a lot of tosh.

Like all muslims, he is making far too large claims for Islam and its positive achievements and influence.
The translation was entirely selective and exclusivelly self-justifying.
If Islam was really that magnificient muslim countries wouldnt be the most backward and barbaric after 1400 years of glorious Mohammed-thought. That gold and excellence would manifest itself somehow, somewhere. But no, it's  just dark violent superstition.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2018 at 7:06pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:32pm

Frank wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 11:30am:

Like all muslims, he is makibg far too kkarge claimsfor Islam and its positive achievements and influence.

No, dear, like all historians. The one book you've read is an aberration.

Refusing to assimilate again, aren't you?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 7:09pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:32pm:

Like all muslims, he is makibg far too kkarge claimsfor Islam and its positive achievements and influence.

The  'ain't  Islam grand' historians are revisionists of the previous 1300 years of history writing.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #88 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 7:29am

Clutching at straws, or trying to defend Islam? Or possibly you miss the point. So I'll state it for slowly so you can pick up the meaning. Islam is about the Koran, not about Mathematics or Plumbing. Nor is Greek paganism about those things.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 10:54am

Frank wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 23rd, 2018 at 1:32pm:

The  'ain't  Islam grand' historians are revisionists of the previous 1300 years of history writing.

No, the standard "ain't civilisation grand" narrative, dear boy.

You're the revisionist here. You're imposing your anti-tinted agenda onto the shifting sands of Western history which, from the cradle of civilisation on, is quaintly Middle Eastern.

This undermines your never-ever view, so you seek to expunge the history of civilisation itself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print