Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We Expect Better From Domino's Pizza Stores (Read 1102 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
We Expect Better From Domino's Pizza Stores
Sep 8th, 2018 at 6:45am

We expect better’: Fair Work ombudsman rips Domino’s for underpayments and workplace breaches  Sad
September 7 2018 New Daily.   

Only four Domino’s Pizza stores “fully complied” with workplace laws, following an investigation by the Fair Work Ombudsman into 33 of its stores across Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide.

Newly-appointed ombudsman Sandra Parker said Domino’s head office needs to take action, as its store network continues to have problems complying with workplace legislation.

“The Fair Work Ombudsman has worked with Domino’s head office for several years to try to promote a culture of workplace compliance,” Ms Parker said.

“We expect better from a major network like Domino’s — it should not be up to the Fair Work Ombudsman to find and alert businesses to the systemic issues identified.”

FWO inspectors found that, during a one-month period, 20 out of 874 workers had been underpaid by a total of $1,978.

This was in addition to Domino’s record-keeping breaches, unauthorised deductions and not paying workers delivery allowance, leave entitlements and additional hours worked.

They also issued 17 formal cautions to Domino’s, putting it on notice that further workplace breaches may result in financial penalties.
Many ‘vulnerable’ workers

The investigation also found that the pizza chain employs a large number of vulnerable workers — with three-quarters being under 25 years old, and almost half of them being foreigners on visas.

Furthermore, 65 per cent of the franchisees audited were from non-English speaking backgrounds, and had minimal knowledge or experience of Australian workplace laws.

The ombudsman will continue to monitor Domino’s compliance with the law in the next 12 months.

“This activity will involve unannounced site visits to Domino’s stores to determine whether head office has taken reasonable steps to prevent, detect and address non-compliance within its network,” Ms Parker said.

“We recommend that Domino’s immediately commence a review of the pay and entitlements of all employees across its network, including at both franchisor and franchisee-owned stores.”

It’s not uncommon for large companies like Domino’s and 7-Eleven to point the blame at “a few bad apples”.

Ms Parker has warned that franchisors can now be found legally responsible for any franchisees who exploit vulnerable workers, under new laws introduced last year.
‘One franchisee’ gets most of the blame

Domino’s has been dogged by a number of worker exploitation scandals in recent years.

In a statement, the company said the majority of the underpayments were “administrative errors … for 20 team members across 19 stores over a four-week period”.

It also said the issue affected 19 out of 600 employees, and 97 per cent of employees were correctly paid during the audit period.

“We have been saying for quite some time that there’s no systemic issues across the business, and the results from this investigation, as well as our own nationwide store audit, support this,” said Nick Knight, the head of Domino’s Australian business.

The company’s defence, essentially, was that most of the blame falls to one franchisee. It wrote:

“Specifically, one franchisee with two stores was responsible for over $1,500 of the underpayment.

“The balance occurred across the remaining 17 stores where the average underpayment was under $25 per employee.”

The pizza chain’s underlying profit jumped to a record $136.2 million in the last financial year.

Domino’s boss Don Meij earned $36.8m in the 2016-17 financial year, making him the highest paid chief executive in Australia.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: We Expect Better From Domino's Pizza Stores
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:04am

Quote:
The investigation also found that the pizza chain employs a large number of vulnerable workers — with three-quarters being under 25 years old, and almost half of them being foreigners on visas.

How terrible.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:41am

When you deal in mass produced pap run by third worlder franchisees - what do you expect? 

Domino's, Macca's etc... all fillers in an emergency.... grab and go on the run..... if you rely on it, you are asking for trouble.

The best pizza is home made - two inches thick and loaded with all your favourites...

I like to use that one in reference to government policies...

"Look at that picture... it's three inches thick, it's plump, it's juicy... now look at this sorry thing...."

.... and don't forget that mostly with those policies you get a double whammy burger...... or more....
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:49am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:54am

Not long ago there was a huge expose on franchises one of which was Dominos

It highlighted how the parent company screwed the Franchisees into the ground

Frankly I'm stuffed if I know how they make wages each week, Dominos screws so much out them they are anaemic

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 9:01am

Franchisees hope Senate inquiry will stop them being ripped off by unscrupulous franchisors

By business reporter Andrew Robertson

Updated 29 Mar 2018, 7:51pm

A coffee in a Michel's Espresso mug and a meat pie with tomato sauce on top sitting on table
Photo: Franchisees have made complaints against Retail Food Group. (Supplied: Retail Food Group.)

Related Story: Retail Food Group sinks on $88m loss and 200 stores to be closed

It's an issue that's raged for years. Franchisees at food and drink outlets, in particular, saying they can't make a living because their franchisors are abusing them.

"Already the company takes everything, grab every single dollar from us," Melbourne-based Michel's Patisserie franchisee, Henry Wong, bemoaned.

Mr Hong thought he was securing his financial future and a better lifestyle when he invested in a Michel's Patisserie at Knox City in Melbourne's east.

Instead, he said, it's been a constant battle with Retail Food Group, the owners of the Michel's Patisserie brand.

"I wasted nine years here. And not only destroy the business, but my health and mentally and physically and financially. Totally destroy my life," Mr Hong told the ABC.

But Mr Hong's story is one that is becoming all too familiar in the franchising industry.

'Cannot make a profit'

Franchisees have been smashed by high costs and, in their desperation to make ends meet, many underpay their staff.

Think 7-Eleven, Domino's Pizza and Caltex.

"This all comes down to the fact that they cannot make a profit off their franchise," Maddison Johnstone from Franchise Redress explained.

"They are often sold a dream, and the reality of their outlet quickly becomes apparent to them."

Franchise Redress represents franchisees in disputes with franchisors and has exposed a lot of the dark side of the franchising industry.

Ms Johnstone said Retail Food Group, which also owns brands including Donut King, Gloria Jeans and Brumby's Bakery, is the worst she's encountered.

"We haven't seen so many franchisees so willing to share their story, and they have such horrible stories as well," she said.

"Losing hundreds of thousands of dollars, marriages being broken up."

Franchisees at the mercy of Retail Food Group's supply chain

Mr Hong spent nearly half a million dollars to acquire his Michel's Patisserie business.

He ended up having to take a second job to keep a roof over his head because of a whole host of costs he was not expecting.

"The franchise fee started at 3 per cent and is now 10 per cent and it's based on total sales," he said.

Medium close up of franchisee Wayne Hong sitting at a table at his Michel's Patisserie cafe, with coffee and water on table
Photo: Michel's Patisserie franchisee Wayne Hong said his life has been "totally destroyed". (ABC)

Mr Hong said the price of cakes from Retail Food Group went up 30 per cent but the range and quality were cut.

He said deliveries were also slashed from daily to twice a week, meaning his customers were no longer eating fresh cakes.

Mr Hong is forced to buy all his supplies from Retail Food Group, which has an iron-clad control of the supply chain.

As the company noted in its latest annual report:

"As RFG's transformation into a vertically-integrated global model matures, we will continue to see an enhanced and diversified revenue base."

University of New South Wales' franchising expert Jenny Buchan said it's a system biased against franchisees.

"There's no incentive for the franchisor to go and look for better deals for the franchisee," Professor Buchan said.

"They know that their supply chain is going to deliver the coffee and deliver the flour and deliver the delivery systems, so they have no incentive at all."

With control of the supply chain, Retail Food Group can charge whatever it wants, as Mr Hong knows only too well.

"I went to the factory and bought a box of yo-yo biscuits. It's $15, including GST. Retail Food Group gives us, on their system, $65 plus GST, for biscuits from the same factory."

Pain extends to Retail Food Group shareholders

While franchisees like Mr Hong may not be happy, Retail Food Group also has shareholders to please — and the company's accounts tell an interesting story.

In the last three full years it's added 704 new franchises, and with the average sale price being hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's been a nice little earner.

In evidence that supports claims its franchisees are being gouged, Retail Food Group corporate revenue (fees from franchisees) was up 27 per cent in 2017, while sales revenue from those franchisees' outlets was down 8.4 per cent.

"Franchising should be about choosing the right franchisees, having a great product or service, and helping those franchisees deliver it in the most profitable way possible, leaving some profit with the franchisees," Professor Buchan said.

"Not ripping profit out of the franchisees to satisfy the public shareholders."

However, Retail Franchise Group shareholders are now suffering too.

The share price fell 60 per cent in the last three months as the company took big write-downs that pushed it into the red, prompting the announcement it would close up to 200 stores.

Lawyers are touting a class action.

A chart showing

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 11:21am

freediver wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:04am:
Quote:

How terrible.

Yes how terrible (sarc) Roll Eyes .....

but it is of no surprise from them or that response from FD.

Especially poignant when Dominos CEO Don Meij

takes home $36.8 million per annum, which is almost 435 times the full-time average wage.

And Dominos are very lousy with toppings on their pizza.

They also have choice for adding extra toppings at an extra cost ......

that they never seem to put on anyway.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 5:55pm

That seems small for the CEO of such a large company.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 10:07pm

freediver wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 5:55pm:

... not enough rope??

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:30am

Cheap mass production companies
Pumping quantity out over quality
Employing cheap Asian/Indian labour

...then they come to Australia, jack up their prices and the employees expect higher wages.
Roll Eyes
It's Australia/Australians that are being ripped off by these bozos.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:47am

freediver wrote on Sep 8th, 2018 at 5:55pm:

Bullshyte - Don Meij is only the CEO of the Australian Franchises .... not the parent company in the US.

That is an obscene salary .... & in light of them underpaying & exploiting staff to increase their bottom line ..... it is more obscene.

And the question has to be asked that if they are doing so well ... why can't they look after their staff correctly?

Your defense of their actions & this one persons exorbitant salary is also obscene.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:52am

Shouldn't it be up to the shareholders what they pay the CEO?

And why is it a bad thing to give young people jobs?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:56am

freediver wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:52am:

Are you taking a leaf out of Peccars Book of Pedantics?

The shareholders are driven by greed.

The young people are being ripped off because they are being underpaid/exploited in those jobs.

Since when has that ever been a good thing?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 11:01am

We can always rely on
YANKEE UNIONISM

to make sure their 'cheap Asian labour'

gets HIGH AUSTRALIAN WAGES

for their low-skilled, minimal responsibility - jobs.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 1:51pm

In FDR's time CEOs got ten time the average income of workers and companies paid 50% tax.... all made a profit.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2018 at 2:29pm

Gnads wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:56am:
freediver wrote on Sep 9th, 2018 at 10:52am:

Are you taking a leaf out of Peccars Book of Pedantics?

The shareholders are driven by greed.

The young people are being ripped off because they are being underpaid/exploited in those jobs.

Since when has that ever been a good thing?

It's better than even higher youth unemployment.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print