Send Topic Print
Broken Hill (Read 297 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Broken Hill
Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:41am

The War Office and I are in Broken Hill at the moment for the annual “Broken Heel” celebration.    This is where a lot of Priscilla - Queen of the Desert was filmed and they have an annual festival and Mardi Gras in September.    Last night, a trainload of transvestites, drag queens, bears, cubs and otters arrived to kick it all off.  The town is packed to the hilt with visitors and our caravan park is full as a goog.   There are 20 of us here in 8 caravans and to date, it has been a lot of fun!       If you are thinking of coming ( no pun intended) next year, book your accommodation early!

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Broken Hill
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:46am

Did you frock-up?

IBI

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:52am

Gordon wrote on Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:46am:
Did you frock-up?

No, an old bald fat man in a flowery dress from Target is not a good look.    Having said that, a couple of the drag queens are looking a bit rough around the edges-  I am sure one of the was performing at Les Girls in the 70s when I used to frequent the “cocktail “ lounge on the top floor.  Cheapest place in the Cross to get a drink after midnight - thereor the Venus Room

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 8:57am

Would you believe that my first visit to Broken Hill, was via my car having 'broken' down, just 20kms out from it.

Spent a week there, while my car was being fixed.
It felt like 50C degrees out there.
I had to dress like a Mujahadeen, to keep from 'frying' like an egg.

What I found was a large Town, that was slowly winding down from its Golden Age of Mining.
Like many towns nowadays, its a Town, that now has to find other means (like Mardi Gras) to keep some sort of attraction going for it.

But what I saw as its Potential.
Was that it is placed 'strategically' right in the middle of almost equal distance - to the big cities of Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide and to a lesser extent Melbourne.

To me, I saw Broken Hill as the 'TERMINAL CITY' (Terminicity) of them all.
A huge 'trading' centre of Technology, Logistics and more.

If Australia is to progress 'internally'. Then it has to do so via Broken Hill. If it can't 'make it' via Broken Hill, then Australia will really be just a Coastal Nation that can't cut the mustard in the middle and just sits on the side-line, really.
There's more - but its lengthy.
I even have the new 'City' plan design.
I'm pretty good. At 16, I came up with the 'original' vision and plan for Upper Parramatta River to be turned into a Venice-like area of Gondolas, River-Front boardwalks, Restaurants, Shops ...to which, just a few years ago - Architects have now offered something similar.

Broken Hill can just sit in the past and dream of the Good ol' Mining Age or it can embrace a New Future.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 9:08am

If I was there now.
I would don the floral dress, high heels, brutal make-up, 5 day growth of beard and be 'Mellie' for a week.  Grin Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print