Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Global COOLING is all the rage (Read 1478 times)
minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Global COOLING is all the rage
Reply #15 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:24pm

lee wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 2:09pm:
minarchist wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 11:09am:
Until the 1970's, the rates of change in global temperature Vs solar activity followed each other closely. Since the 1970's this hasn't been the case:

Is that using Gavin Scmidt's admitted uncertainty of +/- 0.5C on the estimated temperature? Or NOOA's 0.01C on their anomaly of estimated temperature?

NASA GISS.

If their data is unacceptable, which temperature data set would you consider acceptable?

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:35pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 7:13pm:
Until the 1970's, the rates of change in global temperature Vs solar activity followed each other closely. Since the 1970's this hasn't been the case:

https://skepticalscience.com/graphics/Solar_vs_temp_1024.jpg

Your graph is way out of date.
The mini ice age only just got started 2 years ago.

I consider myself to be a fence sitter when it comes to the Climate Change debate. I've recently questioned the influence of the sun on temerature as I wasn't seeing a reduction in global temperatures correlating to the drop in sunspot numbers. So I'd be interested in seeing the latest data showing that a drop in global temperatures has begun.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:37pm

minarchist wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
NASA GISS.

If their data is unacceptable, which temperature data set would you consider acceptable?

two points.

1. Gavin Schmidt is Director of NASA GISS. He is the one saying that temperature estimations are +/- 0.5C. He then does some fantastically wonderful statistical stuff and voila it becomes +/-0.05C.

"But think about what happens when we try and estimate the absolute global mean temperature for, say, 2016. The climatology for 1981-2010 is 287.4±0.5K, and the anomaly for 2016 is (from GISTEMP w.r.t. that baseline) 0.56±0.05șC. So our estimate for the absolute value is (using the first rule shown above) is 287.96±0.502K, and then using the second, that reduces to 288.0±0.5K. The same approach for 2015 gives 287.8±0.5K, and for 2014 it is 287.7±0.5K. All of which appear to be the same within the uncertainty. Thus we lose the ability to judge which year was the warmest if we only look at the absolute numbers."

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2017/08/observations-reanalyses-an...

2. You don't see any error bars in that graph; do you?

Seeing as the temperatures are estimations from completely different sources; None.

The land temperature estimation has large areas where there are no weather stations. So they guestimate the result.

The ocean temperature has also large areas where they don't have measurements. That is also a guestimate.

And then they merge their guestimates.

Gavin guesses his results are within +/-0.5C. NOAA guess their results are within +/-0.01C.

And then of course they magically guesstimate the temperature for the two mediums, somehow, back to 1880; when there is a paucity of data.

Sorry. It is just unbelievable.  But I'll let you believe whatever you want.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 10:38pm

minarchist wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 9:35pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 10th, 2018 at 7:13pm:

https://skepticalscience.com/graphics/Solar_vs_temp_1024.jpg

Your graph is way out of date.
The mini ice age only just got started 2 years ago.

I consider myself to be a fence sitter when it comes to the Climate Change debate. I've recently questioned the influence of the sun on temerature as I wasn't seeing a reduction in global temperatures correlating to the drop in sunspot numbers. So I'd be interested in seeing the latest data showing that a drop in global temperatures has begun.

Well there are 358 pages of evidence starting here:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1464603949/0#0

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print