Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Zealand: Fav spots (Read 978 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

New Zealand: Fav spots
Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:35am

I love New Zealand.
Considering how small it is, it seems to have way more on offer than Australia, when it comes to Tourism and Entertainment ...and for half the price mostly.

Australian Tourism is like the USA Health System.
Very over-priced for what you get and if you know what the USA health in general is like, then you understand why Astronauts fly over Australia calling it the 'Great Boring Land Mass'.

My favourite part of New Zealand is in the Manapouri region. Of which, Te Anau (Lake Te Anau) is my favourite spot. I hope to end my days gazing over the lake towards the mountains and take it all in upon my final breath.

Of course, there are many great other favourite spots, but this is my most favourite. My Top 10 NZ spots are...

1. Te Anau (Manapouri) (S)
2. Poor Knight Islands (Whangarei) (N)
3. Westland (S)
4. Stewart Island (S of S)
5. Mt Egmont-Taranaki (N)
6. Wanaka (S)
7. Taupo (N)
8. Kaikoura (S)
9. Invercargill (S)
10. Golden Bay (S)

As you can see, mostly South Island and the South-Western most part.

The one thing I love most about New Zealand.
It's the 'clear fresh water'. Australia's waterways were once clear and clean, until 'farming' turned it all turd-brown. Once you could see down to the bottom of the Murray.
No more.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: New Zealand: Fav spots
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:38am

And North island (under south  Cheesy)

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sophia

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2018 at 11:52pm

I love New Zealand also, and the one country I would go to if Australia goes to pot......Orewa was a fave, further up from Auckland.

The taste of their food, for instance, apples, and potato chips, are amazing. The people are so friendly and lovely too.

There is no grafitti and I asked why, was told "Because New Zealanders live in New Zealand"

I didn't like some of the South parts where it stinks with the thermal underground stuff coming up...there are these in back yards of peoples houses  Shocked
There are so many beautiful areas, both south and north islands, and yet, will be going back again to discover more in March.

When we drive around in NZ, we find areas that remind us of certain areas in Australia.
Went past Mount Cook on the way to Twizel once, and the lakes up there are a fluoro light green colour!
Amazing.
My kids did their first (and only) bungi jump off the Karawau Bridge  some years ago, when they were teens.
Wow, what an experience they never forgot that!

Queenstown is a beautiful place, and so too is Dunedin, we stayed at Lanarch castle, with an amazing view of the Otagao Harbour.

There's a spook or two at that Castle I reckon. I didn't feel like staying there much longer than one night!
https://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/magazine/laying-larnach-rest

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:43am

You seems to have attained that NZ enlightenment Lols.
Yes - there is hardly any graffiti (tagging, etc) around NZ.
Their method is to enhance the environment 'artistically'.
Graffiti finds itself hard to exist when there is an artwork on a wall already. Leave it blank and it will be covered in crap. But put a great mural on it and it will be untouched.

I once approached a Council here in Australia to pay for Artists to spruce up its area with 'Art', but they couldn't be bothered/interested - instead, they pay Guerney-Cleaners to quarterly go around cleaning off the constant graffiti that appears time and time again. Real backwards stuff with no long term success.

I'm glad you enjoy many areas of NZ. Yes, some have little smelly upwellings in their back yards and they use them for cooking. Practical - but smelly. Can't tell if it smells like gunpowder from Fire-Cracker nights or rotten eggs??

Queenstown, to me - is the 'real' Capital of New Zealand.
Only 'powdered milk' is the country's biggest 'earner' over Tourism. Wellington, is far down the list (Political Capital) as top earner for the nation.

I hope you continue to travel and enjoy New Zealand, Lols.
It's a place of constant wonders around every bend.
The people are extremely nice and they still retain their self-respect, regardless of the massive influx of Tourists.

In Australia, when a town/region 'sells out' to Tourism - the locals become 'peasants' and nothing more. This is because Aust Tourism is about 'money' and not 'culture'.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:10am

New Zealand is a beautiful country undoubtably, however the TV show about NZ Police shows mostly scumbags puking in the street, or fighting in the street, and then being given a ride home by the Police........WTF is that all about?  Undecided

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:18am

Fuzzball wrote on Oct 18th, 2018 at 8:10am:
New Zealand is a beautiful country undoubtably, however the TV show about NZ Police shows mostly scumbags puking in the street, or fighting in the street, and then being given a ride home by the Police........WTF is that all about?  Undecided

Probably the usual 'city' dregs like anywhere else.
Auckland has the highest amount of such stuff.
But trust me, the majority of life in NZ is NOT like that.

I live in an area where we still get 'dregs' like that - but they are a minority (controlled), not majority. It's as good as it can get, I guess. Far worse if they are a majority.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print