Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intangible versus Tangible (Read 1107 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Intangible versus Tangible
Sep 1st, 2018 at 2:57pm

Let's say you pay insurance premiums (your money, which is tangible) all your life for a promise (a promise is intangible)

The promise from the insurer is always there but you never use it. Since a promise is intangible, what did you get for your money that was tangible?

Now, if you were fully aware from the beginning that you will never get anything tangible if you never use the promise, should you still raise that "intangible" versus "tangible" aspect of the insurance with the insurer?

The question would be: "What will I get for my premiums that's tangible if, as it turns out, I never use your promise"?

Or are you comfortable paying thousands of dollars over many years knowing you'll never get anything tangible for your money under these circumstances?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Super Nova

Everywhere
Re: Intangible versus Tangible
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 4:08pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 2:57pm:
Let's say you pay insurance premiums (your money, which is tangible) all your life for a promise (a promise is intangible)

The promise from the insurer is always there but you never use it. Since a promise is intangible, what did you get for your money that was tangible?

Now, if you were fully aware from the beginning that you will never get anything tangible if you never use the promise, should you still raise that "intangible" versus "tangible" aspect of the insurance with the insurer?

The question would be: "What will I get for my premiums that's tangible if, as it turns out, I never use your promise"?

Or are you comfortable paying thousands of dollars over many years knowing you'll never get anything tangible for your money under these circumstances?

I do pay thousands of dollars for insurance with the hope that I never claim on it, therefore do not expect to recieve any money probised. However I do get a benefit that I think is tangible and that is, peace of mind that allows me to et on with my life without the far of a single disaster destroying my and my families life.

My house insurance ensures we always have a house to live in
My car insurance ensures we have a car and we do not have liability when I crash into a Rolls
My medical insurance means I could give any members the best healthcare if it is needed without selling everything.

For me the benefit is security and peace of mind. Is this a tanigble benefit, I think it is because it has a positive impact on my life. (reduced fear)

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 4:27pm

Risk tables are tangible so you can decide if something is worth the risk of insurance. Home and car insurance are a no brainer but I self insure for loss of income.

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 4:38pm

Yep that's insurance for ya, Its intangible and its best kept that way or you lose your no claim bonus which is tangible, or is it.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:27pm

So you all feel comfortable with intangibility if you never have to make a claim

In a premium, there is a "payout" component, a calculated amount that when added to the "payout" component of other insurees, builds up and is used to help victims of accidents, house fires, car theft, unfortunate health, etc

Would you feel just as comfortable if you were offered that "payout" component back if you never made a claim? and the insurer kept the administration component of the premium

There is two winners with that, the insurer gets paid for the work they do looking after your money, and you get the money back that was never used as a payout, for you that is

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:56am

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:27pm:
So you all feel comfortable with intangibility if you never have to make a claim

As Super Nova said the benefit we get is "peace of mind"
I hope that I never have to claim on my building and contents insurance for my house but the reassurance I have, knowing that it is there, is worth the cost.

As for your proposed "payout" component if you don't make a claim that is completely impracticable. The way insurance works is that some of your premium is used to pay claims from other people. That is how risk is calculated. 

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:51pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 10:56am:
I hope that I never have to claim on my building and contents insurance for my house but the reassurance I have, knowing that it is there, is worth the cost.

What I'm trying to find out is, how much intangibility is tolerated in the community?

In your case, you would tolerate 100% intangibility because you are hoping you never have to make a claim, and you are willing to pay many thousands of dollars throughout your life for that intangibility ("peace of mind" is in itself intangible)

Is that a fair assessment?

There's also the matter of premiums being used to earn interest. If insurers are going to act as investment "bankers", insurees should be entitled to a slice of that income, especially if and when interest rates are at high rates. Interest is tangible income for the insurer, but the insuree (customer or client) is still in intangibility if they don't receive some of that income in their bank accounts

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:59pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:51pm:

What I'm trying to find out is, how much intangibility is tolerated in the community?

In your case, you would tolerate 100% intangibility because you are hoping you never have to make a claim, and you are willing to pay many thousands of dollars throughout your life for that intangibility ("peace of mind" is in itself intangible)

Is that a fair assessment?

There's also the matter of premiums being used to earn interest. If insurers are going to act as investment "bankers", insurees should be entitled to a slice of that income, especially if and when interest rates are at high rates. Interest is tangible income for the insurer, but the insuree (customer or client) is still in intangibility if they don't receive some of that income in their bank accounts

I guess my brain works differently because I see insurance as a very tangible thing.

Tangibility is sleeping well at night knowing that if your car is stolen or if your house burns down you'll get a pay-out. When simple folks lament all the years of insurance they've payed with nothing to show for it, I'd ask them if they'd dare leave their house unattended for a holiday.

Insurance IS tangible because it's locking in a risk profile.   

IBI

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 3:27pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:59pm:
I guess my brain works differently because I see insurance as a very tangible thing.

It's only tangible if you get a payout Gordon

If you never make a claim, it is intangible and remains that way with no thank you for your money or gold watch

Here's a trick question: If a crazy driver knew they would receive a substantial refund of say one third of their premiums back at the end of their motoring life if they never made a claim - would they become safer drivers or carry on their crazy driving, if they also knew that the refund would forfeited if they kept up their dangerous driving?
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2018 at 3:51pm by Bias_2012 »  

IP Logged

Super Nova

Everywhere
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 4:52pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 5:27pm:

As for your proposed "payout" component if you don't make a claim that is completely impracticable. The way insurance works is that some of your premium is used to pay claims from other people. That is how risk is calculated. 

Yes.

Insurance is a game where they bet that most people never or rarely claim and the premiums are used to pay those that do.

if you were to get refunds then it is more like a saving scheme and for that to work the premiums would be huge, you may as well not be insured.

So i feel I get a tangible benefit in that if I claim, I know I can fix the problem within my current means and don't have to sell my first born. The tangible benefit it is: I am able to manage the risk within the limits i am prepared to take. Risk management, liability management, is a tangible benefit IMO.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 6:56pm

I'm getting much the same story from everyone, thanks for posting

What I've noticing from your opinions is that "intangible" is ok, if in your minds, it can be perceived as "tangible"

So far, these intangibles are perceived as tangibles

"Peace of mind"
"Reduced fear"
"Sleeping well"
"Risk management"
"Locking in risk profile"

Very interesting, I'm learning - thanks for your input

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print