Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Derryn Hinch supports phasing out 1080 (Read 2387 times)
Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Derryn Hinch supports phasing out 1080
Aug 29th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Something good from Hinch, 1080 is a cruel way to kill whatever animal eats it, they die a slow horrible death sometimes taking up to 4 days.

The gun grabbers will support laying 1080 all over the country indiscriminately poisoning everything that eats it, the guidelines for using 1080 say the carcasses must be buried or burnt as they remain toxic to other animals that consume them.

The RSPCA admits shooting is a far more humane way of dealing with feral pests, shooting is very specific in which feral species are shot.1080 doesn't discriminate in which species it kills.

https://www.facebook.com/justiceparty.com.au/videos/453836045113869/?hc_ref=ARTm...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Derryn Hinch supports phasing out 1080
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:41am

I agree with this, I just want a limitation on who can participate.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 2:02pm

Nice to see that Derryn may be good for something.  I am dead against the use of 1080 after living up north and having to suffer it being dropped from helicopters willy nilly and then seeing the after effects of the poison on so many animals that it was not intended to harm.

Idiocy!

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:06am

1080 is evil shite......but how else do you treat feral dogs?
Sure...try and shoot them, you may get 1 or 2 but the other 50 or so scatter and you won't find them again, plus every other pack in a 10mile radius scatters. This will require silencers for rifles and, well, with the hysterical bitches in this country atm that ain't gonna happen. Even then the other dogs will vanish after tge first one is shot.

Northern NSW has had feral dog problems for some time. 1080 is the only thing that is effective. They stopped baitng for while a few years back and the dogs multiplied. Shooting etc does not work. That paper is stating that shooting is a specific way of targeting animals....yes it is but it is not effective.

As for pigs....half the shooters won't kill the babies "so there's more for next time" . Yep, heard that statement before. So if this country wants to get fairdinkum in pest control then they'll have to get fairdinkum on hunting them because it's not 50 animals they're chasing... it can be 50,000 in a small area. That's a lot of rounds.
What alternative has hinch put forward? Is he going to be out there every day with his bolt action single shot 22 trying to kill the dogs and pigs? Doubt it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 11:34pm

Quote:
Wild dog baiting underway in massive drop on half the state

A massive aerial baiting program of almost half of NSW is about to get underway as the wild dog problem moves inexorably south.

More than 49,000 baits will be dropped from an aircraft  at more than 500 feet along ridge lines and in inaccessible country from the Queensland border all the way down to Balranald. The baiting runs from October 2-16, with 1080 poison put into red muscle meat and dropped by a specially designed aircraft that has a feeder bin, hired from Charleville. The aerial baiting is done at a rate of 10 baits per kilometre.

The aerial baiting  follows an on-the-ground baiting program over the last few weeks with 87,000 baits put out over about 19 million hectares in the Western Division. The massive operation involves many Local Land Services staff covering large areas from Hungerford through to Wilcannia, Cobar down to Broken Hill and Wentworth.

Overseeing the operations is Western LLS Biosecurity Team Leader Tim Wall, based at Wilcannia. It is one of the biggest and largest pest animal control programs in the world. “We have 20-foot freezer units located in Broken Hill and Cobar. The meat for the northern operations comes out of Dubbo and in the southern area out of Broken Hill. We have five or six people in each location drying the meat and laying the poison.”

Mr Wall said the 1080 baiting was having effects as a small trial back in June with South Australian biosecurity officers along the dog fence produced 20 dead dogs. The LLS also has 17 groups of landholders in the Western Division who work together in baiting programs, which has proved very successful.

“The thing with 1080 is that the results are not often seen as the dogs may not die for a week.Farmers only know because they have fewer attacks and see fewer tracks.” Mr Wall said wild dogs were moving further and further south. “It will be an ongoing problem,” he said.

Landholders near Wanaaring say the dog problem has only got worse in the last six years, and up until then it was “rare to see a wild dog”.

https://www.theland.com.au/story/5656078/western-aerial-baiting-starts-ready-for...

We didn't have such a big problem with wild dogs before John Howards gun laws, we can thank John Howard for this.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:07pm

Surely bio sec would be able to create a strain of herpes that kills the dogs....similar to what is happening with carp.

Im at a loss with this.
Sure dick head howard and his gun control freakazoids have taken the very weapons required to kill large quantities in a short time but the animal rights arseholes are up there as well.
They say it is cruel to kill these dogs yet they do not give a thought to the native wildlife the dogs are killing. Truely messed up individuals that have been given to much say in something their tiny brain cannot handle.

We were on dirt bikes. I have whitnessed these packs first hand. 2008/09 was the worste I have ever seen. It was not uncommon to see packs of 50 or more every few hundred meters...especially in the late afternoon. You had to be quick though. They scatter when they eventually see you.
Then to be told that these dogs can have litters up to 10 pups, sometimes more and the survival rate is quite high due to the abundance (at the time) of food, it is no wonder they just multiply.

If we don't act soon this will be catastrophic in regards to native wildlife.
With the article above then the numbers must be up close to that of 2008/09

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:35pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 2:07pm:
Surely bio sec would be able to create a strain of herpes that kills the dogs....similar to what is happening with carp.

Im at a loss with this.
Sure dick head howard and his gun control freakazoids have taken the very weapons required to kill large quantities in a short time but the animal rights arseholes are up there as well.
They say it is cruel to kill these dogs yet they do not give a thought to the native wildlife the dogs are killing. Truely messed up individuals that have been given to much say in something their tiny brain cannot handle.

We were on dirt bikes. I have whitnessed these packs first hand. 2008/09 was the worste I have ever seen. It was not uncommon to see packs of 50 or more every few hundred meters...especially in the late afternoon. You had to be quick though. They scatter when they eventually see you.
Then to be told that these dogs can have litters up to 10 pups, sometimes more and the survival rate is quite high due to the abundance (at the time) of food, it is no wonder they just multiply.

How would you have it target just the feral dogs.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:15pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:35pm:

Im at a loss with this.

Which?
1080 or the herpes?

Dunno. I'm bot a bio security agent.
But if we sit on our hands then these dogs will ruin our wildlife.

Personally I think it is to late. Like the cane toads....they're not going away.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:25pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 24th, 2018 at 3:35pm:

Im at a loss with this.

Which?
1080 or the herpes?

Dunno. I'm bot a bio security agent.
But if we sit on our hands then these dogs will ruin our wildlife.

Personally I think it is to late. Like the cane toads....they're not going away.

The 1080 baits are meat so any animal or bird which include Wedge Tailed eagles that eat meat could be poisoned.

I think biological controls are cruel they take some time to have an effect.

IP Logged

Term Dog
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:39pm

1080 is truly barbaric, the few times I have become physically aggressive was at a farmer's use of it.

Many other options proven more effective.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print