Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Strawberries (Read 6273 times)
Black Orchid

Strawberries
Aug 28th, 2018 at 3:38pm

All season the strawberries have been pretty bland until now, make that crap and not bland.   $1.50 a punnet now and they are the best of the season.   Finally!!

A lot of work goes into strawberry farming and it's a back breaking chore.  We almost bought a strawberry farm once and tried it out for a few days prior to purchase.   Found out really fast that it was NOT anything we wanted to do    Cheesy

$1.50 a punnet including the packaging.   I wonder why anyone even bothers growing them commercially anymore.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Strawberries
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:16pm

Most 'foods' these days are genetically 'bland' in taste.
Take 'seedless' watermelon.
Poor cotton-wool fragile eggshell over-indulgent Australians can't cope with 'seeds' in their watermelon - they now have a far 'blander' version to enjoy  Roll Eyes
A lot goes with grain fed fish-pens and battery chickens with blasts of formaldehyde during hatchery.

So expect more 'blandness' coming down through the years with more foods.
This is another 'by-product' of over-achievers who get ego trips of 'technologically/scientifically' superiorities...
...that lack any
'natural'
abilities. Wink

Only 'over-indulgent' gays eat strawberries anyway.
Look on the bright side, at least you're not a Redneck that eats a poor pay packet that can't buy a café Latte in a gay inner suburb of 'city' life. Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:42pm

Strawberries are probably the same as other fruits.

If you grow them with lots of water trying to get size into the fruit, the plant does not work hard enough.

If you cut back the water the plant has to work harder extracting water from the soil, it does this by increasing the sugar concentration in its cells, which helps the water cross the cell membranes from low concentrations of solutes to higher concentration (sugar in the cells).

So when it heats up the plants will be working harder, plus extra sunshine will help.

I had to monitor the water very closely to maintain the sugars in my produce.
Trouble is very few other growers did and the public just stop buying fruit because they cant tell the difference between good and bad.

I can tell by looking at the name on the box, some growers are just grubs, you would never buy their rubbish.

Its a pity the name of the grower is not prominently displayed in the shops anymore.

The variety should also be displayed as some varieties are just rubbish.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 9:59am

miketrees wrote on Aug 28th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
Strawberries are probably the same as other fruits.

If you grow them with lots of water trying to get size into the fruit, the plant does not work hard enough.

If you cut back the water the plant has to work harder extracting water from the soil, it does this by increasing the sugar concentration in its cells, which helps the water cross the cell membranes from low concentrations of solutes to higher concentration (sugar in the cells).

So when it heats up the plants will be working harder, plus extra sunshine will help.

I had to monitor the water very closely to maintain the sugars in my produce.
Trouble is very few other growers did and the public just stop buying fruit because they cant tell the difference between good and bad.

I can tell by looking at the name on the box, some growers are just grubs, you would never buy their rubbish.

Its a pity the name of the grower is not prominently displayed in the shops anymore.

The variety should also be displayed as some varieties are just rubbish.

I love strawbs  but I dont like the fact they are going off before I get them home.....

are they packed to deceive us do you think mike?....

the other day I could eat 3 out of a box   they were only cheap  so I kind of think... well what do you expect...

I dont think we should be like that in a country like this....we are being fobbed off with mediocre..fruit has lost its taste its smell...even the size....its a real turn off.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:06pm

Many Strawberries nowadays are hydroponically grown. This makes them large and unfortunately bland in taste.  I prefer to buy my Strawberries from Farmers' Markets and make sure they are the smaller ones 'cause that means they are grown in soil and have much more flavour to them.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:20pm

Its a lottery, I have had huge strawberries that were magnificent in the past.

Until the industry adopts sugar standards they will continue to lose market share against competing products.

You can get infrared sugar testing graders that can tell you the sugar levels in fruit without damaging the fruit.

A company in WA used it for plums, however the sugar standard that was judged as acceptable only represented about 10% of the harvest so they abandoned sugar testing, that machine is probably still laying idle somewhere.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 2:04pm

The worst thing is how easily they bruise which makes them such hard work.  You pick then have to sort through them to keep/discard, then refrigerate.  Then the next morning you have to sort again for the bruised ones you missed.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 6:37pm

You know they treat them with fungicide once they are picked with no or very little withholding period.

The same chemical has about three days withholding for stonefruit,,, I will check the label

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 6:40pm

Nooooo Rovral is one day withholding for strawberries, nil for stonefruit,,, I got that wrong

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 11:41pm

Cheap overseas imported fruit never lasts long.
Those terrible South American oranges they brought in to under-cut the Australian oranges...
...while I was in the Riverina, a Farmer gave me a big box of Valencias for free, as he could not sell his crop. These oranges lasted 18 days and replaced my midnight coffee on shift. The 'imports' could only last 3 days and they still do.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 3:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 3:06pm:
Many Strawberries nowadays are hydroponically grown. This makes them large and unfortunately bland in taste.  I prefer to buy my Strawberries from Farmers' Markets and make sure they are the smaller ones 'cause that means they are grown in soil and have much more flavour to them.

I agree not much flavor  but that goes for most fruit....

no smell either

I think its to do with everything being refrigerated....\

strawbs today in woollies $1  how much is the poor grower making    I would think picking strawbs  would the the worst job.....I felt guilty buying them at that price..to be honest and you still had to sort through them 
SO WHEN WERE THEY PICKED mike??...this is what they are not telling us.....

I believe the supermarkets have a lot of say in when fruit is picked   its not right....the people that grow the stuff know whats best.....and most fruit ripens   which means TASTE  on the tree or vine..

its sad what we are doing to fruit growers.. Cry Cry Cry Cry  as a consumer I have no choice but to go to the shops....even our markets here are pretty much the same as the shops..

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 7:28pm

I think its to do with everything being refrigerated....\

Indeed

While working at the Ag Dept in WA, we did taste testing on stonefruit (peach and nect)

We scored fruit out of 10.

Refrigerating the fruit knocked a couple of points off the scores.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #12 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 8:11pm

$1 a punnet a couple of weeks ago and now there are none to be seen as they are all being dumped due to the needle campaign.

What a shame!!

What sort of values are these idiot young kids being taught copy-catting this behaviour and thinking it is fun?  They need a kick up the ass!!
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2018 at 8:21pm by Black Orchid »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:07am

not in ACT black orchid   we have heaps   bought two punnets yesterday at our markets  and they are so fresh and delish   going out again today where I will buy another two   these were 2 for $5.. I am buying them whenever I see them........BIG FINGER to those who are doing this....

I wont be threatened..

its such a crying shame   god I hope they catch em.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 1:18pm

I got some today at Woolies for $1.50 and they are actually sweet and tasty.  I did check the local fruit market first but the ones they had didn't look so good.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print