Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now Holden wants to design electric cars :D LOL (Read 1021 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Now Holden wants to design electric cars :D LOL
Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:07am

Just heard this on the radio now.

Although we won't be building any for obvious reasons Sad

What a joke this company is.

All of my predictions about EV's have come true. I said that we would be importing all of them Sad

Then we have this chestnut. The pollies have got a lot to answer for here doling out blank cheques to Detroit for decades with no equity in the business. Who would do a deal like this in private enterprise and have no say in what the money was used for ? Sad

Quote:
Holden stands between this man and Australia’s electric car future

For the second time in two years Holden is stymying a bid by a foreign businessman to keep the local car manufacturing industry alive.

Back in 2016 it was automotive supplier Guido Dumarey who wanted to continue building the Commodore at Holden’s Elizabeth plant beyond the October 2017 shutdown date. The Belgian’s proposal drew only limited government support and no more than cursory interest from Holden and parent General Motors.

On Tuesday it was British-based Sanjeev Gupta and his global business GFG Alliance getting a thumbs down from Holden and GM. But this time it looks like the ambitious plan won’t be so easily dismissed.

Mr Gupta is a heavyweight businessman with a strong track record, while GFG has global reach, multi-billion dollars in assets and revenue and enormous engineering knowledge.

Mr Gupta and GFG pitched Holden to purchase manufacturing assets so it could build electric vehicles on the Elizabeth site, which is now owned by the Melbourne-based Pelligra Group and has been renamed Lionsgate Business Park.

Holden, which controls the site during the clean-up process into 2019, said in a statement the assets being pursued were already reallocated or the prices being offered were just too low.

GFG must now bid for Elizabeth plant and equipment in an auction that has been running since late January.

The South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill urged Holden to co-operate with GFG and was scathing toward the car company when it became clear a deal wasn’t getting done.

“The idea we could have supported them here for decades and decades with hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in public money to make sure they had a successful car industry in this country, for them to then say we are not going to sell our plant and equipment to someone who might set up as a competitor to us is a very destructive and inappropriate response,” Mr Weatherill said.

The Premier is clearly backing the entity that is investing in his state, boosting its economy and therefore his chances of re-election in March.

Mr Gupta and GFG first bought into South Australia in mid-2017, reportedly spending $700 million to purchase the Arrium steelworks in Whyalla, which sank into administration in 2016. Since then GFG has announced a $1 billion transformation of that plant and a joint-venture investment in a SA renewable energy company.

Most recently it has bought a NSW coal mine from Glencore for an estimated $500 million.

GFG Alliance is a Gupta family-owned group of businesses including the Liberty House Group, which Mr Gupta formed as a 20-year-old in 1992.

Described as environmentally minded, the Indian-born, Cambridge-educated Mr Gupta has earned a reputation for identifying distressed businesses and restoring them to economic health.

GFG has a global footprint, with interests across mining, energy generation, metals and engineering, including automotive component supply.

But building an electric vehicle would be a new challenge for GFG. To achieve that goal it has enlisted Gordon Murray, a legendary UK-based car designer. He has developed a low-cost and flexible vehicle manufacturing technology dubbed iStream that would form the underpinnings of Gupta’s EV.

Mr Murray’s association with the bid adds huge credibility as his reputation in the automotive industry is beyond challenge.

He is an innovator who has designed and developed all sorts of transport, from championship-winning Formula One racers to entry-level city cars.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/2018/02/07/holden-gupta-manufacturing/
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:01am by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Now Holden wants to design electric cars :D LOL
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:10pm

"Now Holden wants to design electric cars Cheesy LOL"

I thought the Chevy Bolt was GM.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 11:54am

No doubt feeling the pressure from the likes of Tesla and Jaguar. They probably want another government grant to re-invent the wheel back here in Australia in a true Detroit style rent-a-job deal.

There was a mob doing an electric Commodore conversion a few years ago. Apparently they had got a 3 mill gov handout if my memory serves me correct. The only trace of the website is through the wayback machine. Must have pissed the money up against the wall waiting for Holden to jump on board.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170605151041/http://www.evengineering.com.au:80/

Quote:
Fully-electric Large Passenger demonstration vehicles

Members of the consortium delivering the project include Air International, Futuris and Axiflux with previous contributions from the electric vehicle charge network operator Better Place, and major automotive component suppliers Bosch, Continental, GE, and with support for the project from CSIRO.

The project completed 7 fully-electric vehicles in 2012 based on the locally manufactured Holden Commodore as proof-of-concept, to demonstrate the technical viability and attractiveness to customers of a large EV. One of the project objectives was to develop technologies suitable for future mass production.

The next phase of the project is to integrate the Axiflux electric motor technology into the vehicles and leverage this locally made powertrain solution to provide consulting services and innovative new products to the global EV market.

Project Goals include:

(1) Deliver zero emissions motoring when powered by renewable electricity.

(2) Deliver the same high standards of safety and features available in this class of vehicle while delivering comparable performance.

(3) Develop electric vehicle engineering skills and components within the Australian supplier industry for potential export to car makers globally, with opportunities including electronic motor technology, thermal management systems and battery pack design.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm

Brand recognition is paramount: Holden will always be remembered for being dodgy when it comes to embracing the electric car.

That is what Elon knows....  Wink

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:34pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm:
Brand recognition is paramount: Holden will always be remembered for being dodgy when it comes to embracing the electric car.

Holden always has been dodgy, the "Australian " company owned by USA Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:05am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:34pm:

Footballs, meat pies, Kangaroos and American cars Cheesy LOL

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2018 at 1:17pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 11:05am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:34pm:

Footballs, meat pies, Kangaroos and American cars Cheesy LOL

It kinda implies that Australia is dodgy.....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:16am

I guess holden have to do something, they really only r a importer now. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:17am

lee wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:10pm:

it is, I suppose GM want holden to seam relevant to Aussies again  Shocked

I am me

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:06am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:17am:
lee wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 1:10pm:

it is, I suppose GM want holden to seam relevant to Aussies again  Shocked

Just so they can say it's all Australian and gullible aussies will fall in love with it.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:11pm

gm IS A STALKER PERHAPS?

NightProwler.jpg (57 KB | 9 )
NightProwler.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print