Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s SAS (Read 1206 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s SAS
Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:22pm

Australia's 'brave war heroes' are being exposed as war criminals.

They are even accused of using the murder of detainees as an induction rite to incriminate new memebers to the war criminal cabal.

Australia had no right to be in Afghanistan and should pay huge reparations for the crimes it has committed.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/14/the-abuse-scandal-rocking-australias-specia...

Quote:
The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s Special Operations Forces
How changing military strategy may have led to misconduct.
BY C. AUGUST ELLIOTT | AUGUST 14, 2018, 9:01 AM

Recently, a series of disturbing allegations about the conduct of the Australian Army’s special operations forces in Afghanistan have made for gruesome domestic headlines. Individually, each claim is staggering: apparent execution of detainees; reported use of so-called drop weapons, planted to cover up unlawful killings; confirmed reports of commandos flying a Nazi flag on a combat patrol; alleged “blooding” of rookies, initiation rites in which newcomers were pressured to execute unarmed men. In one particularly sadistic case, a prosthetic limb was allegedly pilfered from the corpse of a dead Afghan, only to be repatriated and repurposed as a novelty binge-drinking implement. Taken together, the allegations appear to reveal a devastating collapse of standards within Australia’s special operations forces.

This is not the first time Australia’s Special Operations Command has been the subject of intense scrutiny. In the last two years alone, the Australian Defence Force has commissioned no less than three internal inquiries into culture and behavior within the command, each with its own separate framework: cultural, legal, and institutional.

The first of these investigations, led by a sociologist named Samantha Crompvoets, began as a more innocuous cultural study, a research drive into the negative impacts of what many within the Defence Department had regarded as an overtasking of Australian special operations forces in the post-9/11 era. Rumors had been circulating for years that a noxious climate of leadership failures, unaccountability, and even of criminal misconduct had made the Special Operations Command a greenhouse for systemic dysfunction. In particular, the so-called beret wars—the internal rivalry between the army’s various commando units—had reached critical mass, poisoning the good relations between each outfit and spurring unsavory competitions based on metrics such as kill counts.

When the digging was done, Crompvoets’s report seemed to suggest that the problems within the Special Operations Command were deep; in particular, that some soldiers had used illegal violence on operations and that a systemic values shift among both troops and their commanders had occurred. Soldiers were observing the laws of war only situationally, it appeared, sometimes adapting them after the fact to fit the circumstances of a violent engagement.Soldiers were observing the laws of war only situationally, it appeared, sometimes adapting them after the fact to fit the circumstances of a violent engagement.

Presented with such alarming data, the Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force, the military’s independent watchdog, began a second inquiry to examine any breaches of both Australian and international law. Since 2016, this quasi-judicial inquiry, led by Justice Paul Brereton, a New South Wales Supreme Court judge and Army Reserve major general, has been looking into credible evidence of what some within the Defence Department are quietly describing as war crimes.

Brereton’s findings are due to be released before the end of the year. In the meantime, however, and following a number of multiyear investigations by some of Australia’s finest reporters, details of some of the alleged incidents are beginning to see sunlight. Central to the most recent media reporting is one raid that took place on Sept. 11, 2012 in the village of Darwan, a remote farming community in northern Uruzgan province. During a manhunt for an Afghan soldier who was believed to have killed Australian troops, Australian forces arrived in UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and shot at least three (and possibly more) Afghan civilians at close range, one of them after being kicked off a paanch, a high agricultural embankment.

Retired Cpl. Ben Roberts-Smith, who is a Victoria Cross recipient and the most decorated soldier in the Commonwealth, is also apparently suspected of battlefield misconduct. Roberts-Smith, who in 2012 was awarded a commendation for distinguished service for his part in developing and applying “lateral tactical concepts” as a patrol commander during combat operations in the Char Chineh district (where the village of Darwan is located), has been at the center of Afghanistan-related controversy for some time now, with many allegations revolving around his suspected involvement in the abuse and execution of detainees.

Although none of these allegations against him have yet seen the inside of a courtroom, it would be easy to surmise that momentum is building for something big. Sweeping organizational changes within the Australian Army, perhaps. A high-profile courtroom drama, maybe. ...

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s SAS
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:42pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:22pm:
Although none of these allegations against him have yet seen the inside of a courtroom, it would be easy to surmise that momentum is building for something big.

Or not.

pure conjecture.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:52pm

lee wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
Although none of these allegations against him have yet seen the inside of a courtroom, it would be easy to surmise that momentum is building for something big.

Or not.

pure conjecture.

Oh, this one will hit the fan.  Roberts-Smith has his angry litigation pants on.  I hope he does sue.

This stuff must be properly addressed.  No Aussie Digger kills in my name without lawful entitlement.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:14pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:28pm

Australia's 'brave war heroes' are being exposed as war criminals.

They are even accused of using the murder of detainees as an induction rite to incriminate new memebers to the war criminal cabal.

Australia had no right to be in Afghanistan and should pay huge reparations for the crimes it has committed.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/14/the-abuse-scandal-rocking-australias-specia...

Quote:
The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s Special Operations Forces
How changing military strategy may have led to misconduct.
BY C. AUGUST ELLIOTT | AUGUST 14, 2018, 9:01 AM

Recently, a series of disturbing allegations about the conduct of the Australian Army’s special operations forces in Afghanistan have made for gruesome domestic headlines. Individually, each claim is staggering: apparent execution of detainees; reported use of so-called drop weapons, planted to cover up unlawful killings; confirmed reports of commandos flying a Nazi flag on a combat patrol; alleged “blooding” of rookies, initiation rites in which newcomers were pressured to execute unarmed men. In one particularly sadistic case, a prosthetic limb was allegedly pilfered from the corpse of a dead Afghan, only to be repatriated and repurposed as a novelty binge-drinking implement. Taken together, the allegations appear to reveal a devastating collapse of standards within Australia’s special operations forces.

This is not the first time Australia’s Special Operations Command has been the subject of intense scrutiny. In the last two years alone, the Australian Defence Force has commissioned no less than three internal inquiries into culture and behavior within the command, each with its own separate framework: cultural, legal, and institutional.

The first of these investigations, led by a sociologist named Samantha Crompvoets, began as a more innocuous cultural study, a research drive into the negative impacts of what many within the Defence Department had regarded as an overtasking of Australian special operations forces in the post-9/11 era. Rumors had been circulating for years that a noxious climate of leadership failures, unaccountability, and even of criminal misconduct had made the Special Operations Command a greenhouse for systemic dysfunction. In particular, the so-called beret wars—the internal rivalry between the army’s various commando units—had reached critical mass, poisoning the good relations between each outfit and spurring unsavory competitions based on metrics such as kill counts.

When the digging was done, Crompvoets’s report seemed to suggest that the problems within the Special Operations Command were deep; in particular, that some soldiers had used illegal violence on operations and that a systemic values shift among both troops and their commanders had occurred. Soldiers were observing the laws of war only situationally, it appeared, sometimes adapting them after the fact to fit the circumstances of a violent engagement.Soldiers were observing the laws of war only situationally, it appeared, sometimes adapting them after the fact to fit the circumstances of a violent engagement.

Presented with such alarming data, the Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force, the military’s independent watchdog, began a second inquiry to examine any breaches of both Australian and international law. Since 2016, this quasi-judicial inquiry, led by Justice Paul Brereton, a New South Wales Supreme Court judge and Army Reserve major general, has been looking into credible evidence of what some within the Defence Department are quietly describing as war crimes.

Brereton’s findings are due to be released before the end of the year. In the meantime, however, and following a number of multiyear investigations by some of Australia’s finest reporters, details of some of the alleged incidents are beginning to see sunlight. Central to the most recent media reporting is one raid that took place on Sept. 11, 2012 in the village of Darwan, a remote farming community in northern Uruzgan province. During a manhunt for an Afghan soldier who was believed to have killed Australian troops, Australian forces arrived in UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and shot at least three (and possibly more) Afghan civilians at close range, one of them after being kicked off a paanch, a high agricultural embankment.

Retired Cpl. Ben Roberts-Smith, who is a Victoria Cross recipient and the most decorated soldier in the Commonwealth, is also apparently suspected of battlefield misconduct. Roberts-Smith, who in 2012 was awarded a commendation for distinguished service for his part in developing and applying “lateral tactical concepts” as a patrol commander during combat operations in the Char Chineh district (where the village of Darwan is located), has been at the center of Afghanistan-related controversy for some time now, with many allegations revolving around his suspected involvement in the abuse and execution of detainees.

Although none of these allegations against him have yet seen the inside of a courtroom, it would be easy to surmise that momentum is building for something big. Sweeping organizational changes within the Australian Army, perhaps. A high-profile courtroom drama, maybe. ...

And what sort of patriot are you again?

Any bullets fired at you of late?

No?

You must be an armchair/lounge self loather & traitor.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:33pm

Quote:

I am a patriot, outright.  But, no Digger gets to kill or maim or torture in my name as an Australian unless they are lawfully entitled to do so.  If that is not the corner stone you agree to, we are no better than Hitler et al.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:43pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:33pm:
Quote:

I am a patriot, outright.  But, no Digger gets to kill or maim or torture in my name as an Australian unless they are lawfully entitled to do so.  If that is not the corner stone you agree to, we are no better than Hitler et al.

Was that question addressed to you?

No it wasn't.

And if you haven't been there & done that .... not UN4, not you or anyone else can go casting aspersions about our diggers.

F*#k off.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:48pm

Quote:
And if you haven't been there & done that .... not UN4, not you or anyone else can go casting aspersions about our diggers.

Oh yeas I can and I will.  They do not get away with War Crimes in my name......ever.  I want to see these allegations properly and openly examined, and preferably in a civil Court Room as Roberts-Smith says he will occasion.

Quote:
F*#k off.

Never, as you well know.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:51pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
Quote:

Oh yeas I can and I will.  They do not get away with War Crimes in my name......ever.  I want to see these allegations properly and openly examined, and preferably in a civil Court Room as Roberts-Smith says he will occasion.

Quote:
F*#k off.

Never, as you well know.

You're name is MUD.

No ... it's actually Nigel Nobody.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:54pm

Gnads wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
Quote:

No it wasn't.

F*#k off. 

Those troll cowards would hide under the bed if threatened.
They probably have never had a real fight in their lives
And slapping fights with their gay mates does not count.

Soldiers put their lives on the line
The enemy is trying to kill them, and the cowards they fight ( muzzos) hide behind women and children and even pretend to be women.

Our enemy fight fairly don't They?
Of course they don't, the use every dirty filthy and cowardly tactic they can muster
Even sending children with bombs on suicide missions.

There is no way you can fight these animals without some "innocent" blood being spilled.
Such is war.

To accuse our soldiers of crime while fighting for their lives
Is akin to accusing the police of murder when they exterminate a terrorist.

Before you question any soldier
You go through what they go through
If not, because you are a coward, shut the f#$k up.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:58pm

Gnads wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:51pm:
Aussie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
Quote:

Quote:
F*#k off.

Never, as you well know.

You're name is MUD.

No ... it's actually Nigel Nobody.

The proof of that pudding is in the eating.  You can't respond to my point other than with garbage.

Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:05pm

Quote:

Oh here come the virtue signalling keyboard heroes.  Gee, I wonder what Breaker Morant would say about this.  I wonder why they have these things called Courts Marshall?

I wonder why Me Lai happened.  Heroes there too I guess.  I even wonder why they bothered with Nuremberg.   Are Aussie Diggers exempt, according to the numpties?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:08pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
I wonder why they have these things called Courts Marshall?

Your ignorance is showing. It is Courts Martial.  If you "holler for a marshall" you'll get a battery.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:08pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
Quote:

Oh here come the virtue signalling keyboard heroes.  Gee, I wonder what Breaker Morant would say about this.  I wonder why they have these things called Courts Marshall?

I wonder why Me Lai happened.  Heroes there too I guess.  I even wonder why they bothered with Nuremberg.   Are Aussie Diggers exempt, according to the numpties?

I wonder what you life would be like if you weren't such a failure?

Guess we will never know.
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

salad in
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:37pm

The Abuse Scandal Rocking Australia’s SAS

No branch of our defence forces hold their training sessions inside a church and nor should they. It is amusing to see the legality of killing tossed about. If there was a better way our forces would be armed with public relations kits.

The ALP, the progressive party, the party of ideas, the workers' friend, is the only Australian political party to roast four young Australians in roof cavities. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 7:39pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:54pm:
Gnads wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 6:43pm:
Quote:

No it wasn't.

F*#k off. 

Those troll cowards would hide under the bed if threatened.
They probably have never had a real fight in their lives
And slapping fights with their gay mates does not count.

Soldiers put their lives on the line
The enemy is trying to kill them, and the cowards they fight ( muzzos) hide behind women and children and even pretend to be women.

Our enemy fight fairly don't They?
Of course they don't, the use every dirty filthy and cowardly tactic they can muster
Even sending children with bombs on suicide missions.

There is no way you can fight these animals without some "innocent" blood being spilled.
Such is war.

To accuse our soldiers of crime while fighting for their lives
Is akin to accusing the police of murder when they exterminate a terrorist.

Valkie knows about these things. he got a paper cut in the line of duty once.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print