Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Home automation (Read 3053 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Home automation
Reply #15 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 5:55pm

Security seems to be a big concern. A home computer can ensure doors and windows are locked, alarms set and the cops called if it detects an intruder, etc.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:02pm

Great. So before you can knock on someone's door, you get a 5 minute questionnaire with things like press 1 if you are a JW. And you will spend more money repairing these devices than learning how to talk to people.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:10pm

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:02pm:
Great. So before you can knock on someone's door, you get a 5 minute questionnaire with things like press 1 if you are a JW. And you will spend more money repairing these devices than learning how to talk to people.

ahh but the more of these device the more jobs Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:15pm

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:02pm:

Why would that be? It would be just like approaching a house or unit that has a camera etc. You could just ring the doorbell and the homeowner would have his mobile phone alert him (if he was in the back of the garden etc.)

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:58pm

Why answer the doorbell yourself when a bot can screen 80% of the people you don't like with a mere 5 minute questionnaire? That way you won't have to feel bad about telling people to f off.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:03pm

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:58pm:
Why answer the doorbell yourself when a bot can screen 80% of the people you don't like with a mere 5 minute questionnaire? That way you won't have to feel bad about telling people to f off.

Not far away.

A bot could mimic your voice. Have facial recognition. Have AI and knows you and how you would behave. Have access to your diary so you can add expected visitors and access to trends like the god-botherers always come on weekend. Hell it could have a debate with them on god for you.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #21 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:10pm

Or you see two guys in cheap suits one holding a bible and tell your door to send them away.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #22 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:23pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:10pm:
Or you see two guys in cheap suits one holding a bible and tell your door to send them away.

The AI sees them and sends them away without you even seeing them... that's automation rather than just remote controlled cameras, locks and comms tech.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:48pm

You could spend all day hiding in your basement programming your doorbell.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 10:02pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
Bobby has switched off Mr. Light's trickle current.

Yeah, because Light had enough to spare/share in the first place. I think Bobby killed him.

IP Logged

stokerjim
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 9:29am

I was in the UK recently and just about everyone we visited had a small device that links to a cloud based service that provides a lot of automation.      Amazon have one (Alexa) and also Google.

You can link them to bluetooth enable timers, music services like Amazon and Spotify and also news, weather and information services.     I was so impressed I paid the 20 pound and bought one home!         By saying something like "Alexa - play the Beatles" it links to spotify and streams music until told to stop.      The UK is a bit more advanced than us in this but it certainly takes home automation that bit closer.    

Unfortunately, the grandkids have found it so "Alexa" gets quite a workout - we have had to turn the mic input off on it.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #26 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:04pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:14am:
What could be done now?

You come up to your front door, hands full of shopping etc—now you would have to fumble for your keys but won’t be long and as soon as you show your face to your front door—where a camera is—and facial recognition gets done, your door opens, not just unlocks, opens, in you go. Now you would have to kick the door shut but the door will shut for itself when all going in are inside.

This occurred to me watching the ads for facial recognition with the Apple iPhone X.

Or, you could carry one less bag and let yourself in!

I am far from a Luddite but I don't want my home automated. It reminds me of the US Space program and their development of a Pen capable of writing in zero gravity. They spent millions and came up with the Fisher Space pen, the Russians just used pencils!  You can spend whatever it takes to automate your home and I will use a traditional key to open the door. We have the Alexa puck in our office/sitting room and it spends all day listening to Fox Business and my two noisy democrats (Parakeets).

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 10:21am

I inherited some home automation stuff. It's great while it works, but when it breaks the effort to fix it is far greater than the convenience you gain from it.

Maybe they'll iron out the bugs eventually. But you still see automatic windows on cars that don't work.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2018 at 5:43pm

Just like some after nearly a year have not provided a reason for a permanent ban. I wonder if this can ever be fixed, suspect not.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print