Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Soldiers killing people cannot be heroic (Read 7899 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Soldiers killing people cannot be heroic
Reply #60 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:11am

Quote:
Soldiers killing people cannot be heroic

Would you agree that this is a silly thing to say Unforgiven?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #61 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:13am

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:11am:
Quote:

No!

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #62 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:16am

People killing soldiers if fine, though.......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:20am

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:13am:
Quote:

No!

https://slideplayer.com/slide/8061311/25/images/4/Quotes+from+My+Lai.jpg

Is this a fair summary of your argument?

Quote:
So basically, conventional soldiers cannot be heroes, because there is no way of proving that the soldiers they are fighting would kill anyone, but Thomson is a hero because he let all those My Lai villagers get slaughtered while he filled out the appropriate paperwork.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #64 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:25am

Thompson is a hero because he stopped a military atrocity by the USA and caused the cancellation of similar atrocities that were planned by inhuman soldiers.

Freediver understands atrocities because he enjoys torturing and killing marine life as a 'leisure' activity.

Humanity begins at home.

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:20am:
Quote:

No!

Quote:
So basically, conventional soldiers cannot be heroes, because there is no way of proving that the soldiers they are fighting would kill anyone, but Thomson is a hero because he let all those My Lai villagers get slaughtered while he filled out the appropriate paperwork.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #65 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:28am

Here's a very common opinion. Soldiers are arrogant because many people in society call them heroes just because they wear a uniform.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/6pqg3i/being_in_the_military_...

Quote:
Being In The Military Doesn't Make You A Hero
I know this opinion has been stated but whatever. I'm absolutely annoyed by military veterans or current soldiers that have this arrogance about them because they decided to sign up for the military. Good the bugger for you. Want a cookie? That was your choice. Just because I and others disagree with the military and soldiers doesn't make us pussies or that we wouldn't last in boot camp. Many of these people literally don't think any other profession is as good as being a soldier and I had someone say that they joined to change things from the inside. How and you're taking orders? I seriously doubt this person has any pull to change poo. The reverence to the military in the US bothers me. It reminds me of a more buggered up dynamic of a doctor/nurse (many times nurses are underappreciated and doctors overhyped. But that's an opinion for another day).

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:25am:
Thompson is a hero because he stopped a military atrocity by the USA and caused the cancellation of similar atrocities that were planned by inhuman soldiers.

Freediver understands atrocities because he enjoys torturing and killing marine life as a 'leisure' activity.

Humanity begins at home.

Quote:

No!

Quote:

I am not talking about why Thomson is a hero. I am talking about why killing people precludes being a hero. The distinction you appear to be making is that in order to be a hero, you require people to allow innocents to be slaughtered so they can find a non-violent solution, if one exists, and avoid getting their hands dirty or putting themselves in the line of fire. Heroism to you means nothing more than putting yourself at risk of public criticism. This seems consistent with your stance as a Muslim apologist, where support from Muslims for the destruction of liberal democracy and all sorts of abuses comes secondary to not publicly criticising them. While we watch so many people fall victim to rape and pillage, you focus your efforts on protecting Muslims from rational enquiry.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #67 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:35pm

Freediver attempts to pervert everything he touches.

Freediver's own lack of humanity is exemplified by his enjoyment of torturing and killing marine life.

Reflect on this.

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:25am:

Humanity begins at home.

Quote:

No!

Quote:

I am not talking about why Thomson is a hero. I am talking about why killing people precludes being a hero. The distinction you appear to be making is that in order to be a hero, you require people to allow innocents to be slaughtered so they can find a non-violent solution, if one exists, and avoid getting their hands dirty or putting themselves in the line of fire. Heroism to you means nothing more than putting yourself at risk of public criticism. This seems consistent with your stance as a Muslim apologist, where support from Muslims for the destruction of liberal democracy and all sorts of abuses comes secondary to not publicly criticising them. While we watch so many people fall victim to rape and pillage, you focus your efforts on protecting Muslims from rational enquiry.

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:44pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #68 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:37pm

And here we see Unforgiven himself running away from rational enquiry.

You are welcome to give your own 'unperverted' version of your argument, but you cannot, can you? All you can do is lash out with childish personal insults, while whining about being misunderstood.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:44pm

freediver wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:37pm:

You are welcome to give your own 'unperverted' version of your argument, but you cannot, can you? All you can do is lash out with childish personal insults, while whining about being misunderstood.
Pretty much what the whole board is like now, rational, semi intelligent debate is impossible. You shouldnt be surprised. On the plus side the post count is huge, Peccas doing his job also with 30 posts a day about child rape inference.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #70 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:47pm

Freediver is perverting the string as he always does.

Exposing Freediver's enjoyment of killing and torturing marine life is fair argument because it reflects Freediver's perverted state of mind.

In regard to the quote below, soldiers are disposable and are fired from their jobs when they have been so ruthless that there is no-one left to kill.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-soldiers-heroic

Quote:
A Job is a Job Soldiers are like paper towels. They just sit there maintaining a minimal value until something spills. Milk on the counter top, my paper towel is retrieved to do what it's supposed to do. When it serves its purpose, another towel takes its place on "stand-by", so to speak.

Lot's of soldiers who are designated "heroic" say things like "I just did what I had to do". That's not humility; that's the absolute truth. They are put into situations that decay into impossible, then they do what they have to do. The dead ones are dead, and the survivors get "honor", which cannot even be redeemed for a sandwich.

Suckers one and all.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:48pm

What sound does a jellyfish make?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:52pm

rhino wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:44pm:

Pretty much what the whole board is like now, rational, semi intelligent debate is impossible. You shouldnt be surprised.

Of course. FD started it. He knows that.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #73 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:52pm:

Pretty much what the whole board is like now, rational, semi intelligent debate is impossible. You shouldnt be surprised.

Freediver is a bulletin board pervert. He perverts and diverts arguments towards the direction his master's command.

Freediver is a paid shill and should precede all his postings with the confession of who pays his slimebag salary.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:59pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 12th, 2018 at 12:52pm:

Freediver is a bulletin board pervert. He perverts and diverts arguments towards the direction his master's command.

Freediver is a paid shill and should precede all his postings with the confession of who pays his slimebag salary.

Ask him if he likes telling fibs. He never answers that one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print