Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
The biggest threat to Freedom and democracy (Read 20233 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The biggest threat to Freedom and democracy
Aug 9th, 2018 at 8:18pm

FD blames Islam.

You?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: The biggest threat to Freedom and democracy
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:14pm

@ the OP.....

Ah,      but who would you blame Karnal ?

QUESTION;
Hey Karnal,       is this [below] a list of nations who are all renowned stalwarts, of the principles of freedom and democracy,
[within their own borders, that is] ?

Dictionary;
stalwart = = loyal, reliable, and hard-working.   sturdy.

Hey Karnal,       why do you suppose, that most of these nations on the list, would be moslem majority nations ?

Don't moslems, promote and support peace, and freedom and democracy, as a matter of course ?

Yes, i know,       it is a silly question!

-------- >

Quote:

A list of Most Corrupt and Least Corrupt Nations, 2015

The World's Most Corrupt Nations, 2015

According to the annual survey by the Berlin-based organization Transparency International, Somalia, North Korea, and Afghanistan are perceived to be the most corrupt, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden are perceived to be the world's least corrupt countries. For a list of the least corrupt nations, see World's Least Corrupt Countries. The index defines corruption as the abuse of public office for private gain and measures the degree to which corruption is perceived to exist among a country's public officials and politicians. It is a composite index, drawing on 13 different expert and business surveys. The scores range from 100 (squeaky clean) to zero (highly corrupt). A score of 50 is the number Transparency International considers the borderline figure distinguishing countries that do and do not have a serious corruption problem. In the 2015 survey, two-thirds of countries scored below 50.

The higher the CPI Score, the less corrupt

rank      Country      CPI Score
1.      Somalia      8
1.      North Korea      8
3.      Afghanistan      11
4.      Sudan      12
5.      South Sudan      15
5.      Angola      15
7.      Libya      16
7.      Iraq      16
9.      Venezuela      17
9.      Guinea-Bissau      17
9.      Haiti      17
12.      Yemen      18
12.      Turkmenistan      18
12.      Syria      18
12.      Eritrea      18
16.      Uzbekistan      19
17.      Zimbabwe      21
17.      Cambodia      21
17.      Burundi      21
20.      Myanmar      22
20.      Democratic Republic of the Congo      22
20.      Chad      22

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1492984837/0#0

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:24pm

Yadda wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:14pm:

Hey Karnal,       why do you suppose, that most of these nations on the list, would be moslem majority nations ?

Don't moslems, promote and support peace, and freedom and democracy, as a matter of course ?

Yes, i know,       it is a silly question!

-------- >

IMAGE....

SEZ IT ALL, REALLY.

Eh ?

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!!!

IMAGE....

AND, THERE'S MORE!!!!!

IMAGE.....

It is sad, i didn't find the image i was searching for.

But it is there, in my archive.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:33pm

ONE MORE....

IMAGE....

But not the image i have in mind.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:37pm

Where's      Unforgettable ???

Shouldn't he make an appearance soon,       to rebuke me,       .....for telling lies about the followers of ISLAM ?

Wink          Smiley

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:40pm

Alright, not you.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2018 at 10:43pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 9th, 2018 at 8:18pm:
FD blames Islam.

You?

Freediver and Yadda are paid shills. The Ozpolitic surreptitious bigot does it for sport.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:32pm

Thanks for bringing this up Karnal. People have been complaining here for years now about me saying that Islam is the greatest modern threat to freedom and democracy. So far, none of them have been willing to nominate any other threat they think is greater.

Gandalf recently tried to shift the goalposts from Islam being the greatest modern threat to freedom and democracy to Muslim women in letterbox outfits being more intimidating than someone in KKK fancy dress. Apparently it is easy to confuse the two statements. He had a more serious stab out it some time ago, but could not come up with anything less nebulous than "governments" and "people who oppose freedom and democracy", which apparently includes Muslims or apologists acting to defend Islam from criticism by discarding freedom of speech.

Which makes it pretty easy money for a paid schill.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm

FD is actually a good example of the typical sort of modern threat to freedom and democracy. Firstly by his own standards he is complicit in attacks on free speech - when he stated some time ago that those who don't stand up against attacks on freedom, are complicit in it. Thus when FD, day after day, ignores and furthermore spinelessly apologises for those here who constantly attack people's freedoms (ban the burqa, ban halal etc etc) - he is also attacking freedom according to his own definition.

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say people who don't stand up against attacks on freedom are complicit in those attacks - yet still there is something deeply sinister about FD's modus operandi here. For me, one of the big alarm bells was when he candidly declared that he might support those who attack muslim's freedoms - if the extremists and terrorists cannot be reigned in. This was particularly galling as I immediately recalled FD's noble words where he said that defending freedom is most important when confronted by speech that is most disagreeable to you. Thus clearly FD has little compunction in dishing his most sacred beliefs at any opportune moment.

Like most self-styled free speech warriors, FD only ever speaks out about perceived attacks on privileged white people - usually racists. Free speech is merely a cynical tool to push a right wing agenda, by attacking minorities, attacking progressives who defend minorities, and to try and highlight how oppressed rich white people are. Here, FD's musings about freedom are only ever placed within an anti-Islam, or anti-minority (aborigines are another favoured target) context, in which the "victims" are white privileged people - who are frequently also racists and bigots. A cynic would say that the real agenda wasn't freedom at all - but attacking minorities.

Yet, as with most bigotry, FD's ruse has been slowly unraveling, and his racist agenda has become exposed. The use of blatant lies - typically an essential tool for racist agendas ("muslims [en masse] say/do this terribly sinister thing" - when it is based solely on what he heard a single muslim say), as well as increasingly shrill resort to outrageous blanket slurs (workforce participation statistics "prove muslims are lazy"), his 'moral equivalence' arguments to equate muslims to nazis, not to mention his deeply disturbing misogynism (belittling women in burqas as being in a "letterbox outfit", and most shockingly, wishing rape on certain women)  - expose a hateful and bigoted agenda.

Such hateful hypcoricy - which sadly is not uncommon in these times - is one of, if not the greatest threats to our freedom and democracy. Its these people who will facilitate the normalising of minority persecution, coupled with the inevitable removal of their freedom - and the worst thing, they will justify it in the name of "freedom" itself. In fact, we already see this very behavior on a daily basis: ban women from dressing in a non-skimpy swimsuit on the beaches of France? - say nothing but ridicule the affected women and attack the 'apologists' who are up in arms about it; calls to ban the hijab on the basis that its not mere clothing, but an actual piece of "enemy uniform"? Say nothing except praise the person who said it as 'not pretending to be something he's not' - even when that same person claims to be standing up for "western values".

So this is likely how our freedom and democracy will be lost: the anti-freedom bigots will finally have their way - due largely because of the enabling of the freedom warrior hypocrites - like FD. Unfortunately for FD, as Niemoller would predict, after the minorities and the do-gooders, the freedom haters will next turn to him - and guess what? There won't be any spineless apologists left to defend him.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 6:13pm

The biggest threat is the complacency of the citizens, but it all depends on the nation is question.

In theory, Afghanistan and Iraq are democracies, and while fanatical Islam is no friend of democracy unless it has the numbers, the real threat to those nascent democracies is the ready availability of weaponry and explosives, coupled to the  disregard for human life among Muzlims.

There are several threats to Western democracy. Some Trump policies are high on the list, but wholesale poverty class immigration is going to erode stability. Also, there is a significant skepticism about democracy, citing everything from secret government agendas, to run-away welfare costs.

Islam is a threat, for the simple reason that Muzlims do not believe in democracy, except as a tool to get into power, after which there is no chance of an opposition winning an election due to religious thuggery.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 6:16pm

Can you cite a greater modern threat to freedom and democracy than Islam Gandalf?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:32pm

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 12:32pm:
Thanks for bringing this up Karnal. People have been complaining here for years now about me saying that Islam is the greatest modern threat to freedom and democracy. So far, none of them have been willing to nominate any other threat they think is greater.

Gandalf recently tried to shift the goalposts from Islam being the greatest modern threat to freedom and democracy to Muslim women in letterbox outfits being more intimidating than someone in KKK fancy dress. Apparently it is easy to confuse the two statements. He had a more serious stab out it some time ago, but could not come up with anything less nebulous than "governments" and "people who oppose freedom and democracy", which apparently includes Muslims or apologists acting to defend Islam from criticism by discarding freedom of speech.

Which makes it pretty easy money for a paid schill.

Ask me, FD.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:41pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm:
FD is actually a good example of the typical sort of modern threat to freedom and democracy. Firstly by his own standards he is complicit in attacks on free speech - when he stated some time ago that those who don't stand up against attacks on freedom, are complicit in it. Thus when FD, day after day, ignores and furthermore spinelessly apologises for those here who constantly attack people's freedoms (ban the burqa, ban halal etc etc) - he is also attacking freedom according to his own definition.

I'm not sure I would go so far as to say people who don't stand up against attacks on freedom are complicit in those attacks - yet still there is something deeply sinister about FD's modus operandi here. For me, one of the big alarm bells was when he candidly declared that he might support those who attack muslim's freedoms - if the extremists and terrorists cannot be reigned in. This was particularly galling as I immediately recalled FD's noble words where he said that defending freedom is most important when confronted by speech that is most disagreeable to you. Thus clearly FD has little compunction in dishing his most sacred beliefs at any opportune moment.

Like most self-styled free speech warriors, FD only ever speaks out about perceived attacks on privileged white people - usually racists. Free speech is merely a cynical tool to push a right wing agenda, by attacking minorities, attacking progressives who defend minorities, and to try and highlight how oppressed rich white people are. Here, FD's musings about freedom are only ever placed within an anti-Islam, or anti-minority (aborigines are another favoured target) context, in which the "victims" are white privileged people - who are frequently also racists and bigots. A cynic would say that the real agenda wasn't freedom at all - but attacking minorities.

Yet, as with most bigotry, FD's ruse has been slowly unraveling, and his racist agenda has become exposed. The use of blatant lies - typically an essential tool for racist agendas ("muslims [en masse] say/do this terribly sinister thing" - when it is based solely on what he heard a single muslim say), as well as increasingly shrill resort to outrageous blanket slurs (workforce participation statistics "prove muslims are lazy"), his 'moral equivalence' arguments to equate muslims to nazis, not to mention his deeply disturbing misogynism (belittling women in burqas as being in a "letterbox outfit", and most shockingly, wishing rape on certain women)  - expose a hateful and bigoted agenda.

Such hateful hypcoricy - which sadly is not uncommon in these times - is one of, if not the greatest threats to our freedom and democracy. Its these people who will facilitate the normalising of minority persecution, coupled with the inevitable removal of their freedom - and the worst thing, they will justify it in the name of "freedom" itself. In fact, we already see this very behavior on a daily basis: ban women from dressing in a non-skimpy swimsuit on the beaches of France? - say nothing but ridicule the affected women and attack the 'apologists' who are up in arms about it; calls to ban the hijab on the basis that its not mere clothing, but an actual piece of "enemy uniform"? Say nothing except praise the person who said it as 'not pretending to be something he's not' - even when that same person claims to be standing up for "western values".

So this is likely how our freedom and democracy will be lost: the anti-freedom bigots will finally have their way - due largely because of the enabling of the freedom warrior hypocrites - like FD. Unfortunately for FD, as Niemoller would predict, after the minorities and the do-gooders, the freedom haters will next turn to him - and guess what? There won't be any spineless apologists left to defend him.

I don't know, G. I think as long as FD stays on target with the Muslims and Boongs and their apologists, he should be okay. He can just keep switching onto the next enemy, and the next. There's plenty of tinted races to go around, you know.

Maybe one day, FD will get to fulfil his dream and rape them
With a cactus.

You gotta have a dream, no? Freeeedom.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 12:32am

Core of Islamic Law or Shariah
The core of Islamic Law is preservation of:
1)    Religion
2)    Life
3)    Family
4)    Mind
5)    Wealth
6)    Some contemporary scholars suggest either justice or liberty to be the sixth category

Gandalf refuses to answer what he thinks this Sixth core point should be. I've asked him a few times over the months - no answer. It must be a really hard one for him or he can't speak independently about it

"justice" of course is Sharia

"liberty" as we know is freedom

Muslims in Australia can't make up their minds it would seem, probably waiting for orders from Saudi Arabia

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:56am

Well, there are no free and democratic Muslim countries.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:02am

Frank wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 9:56am:
Well, there are no free and democratic Muslim countries.

Yup or Communist or Buddhist and Quite a few Christian Countries..... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:07am

freediver wrote on Aug 10th, 2018 at 6:16pm:
Can you cite a greater modern threat to freedom and democracy than Islam Gandalf?

The Nutter leader Donny Trump would be up there.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:09am

Dnarever wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:07am:

Do you think he is a greater threat to freedom and democracy than Islam?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:44am

freediver wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:09am:
Dnarever wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:07am:

Do you think he is a greater threat to freedom and democracy than Islam?

Ask me, FD.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:12pm

Yes, hypocrite freedom warriors (like you) who turn a blind eye to the persecution/discrimination of minorities.

Tell me FD, whose freedoms do you think are under greater threat in the west:

1. people who want to criticise Islam?
2. muslims who want to practice their religion (things like wearing the burqa)?

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:13pm

Let's ask Charlie Hebdo and Salman Rushdie.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:29pm

Or perhaps we could ask the women in France and Belgium, and now the Netherlands who want to wear the burqa.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:34pm

Do you think people who speak out against the burqa ban are the biggest threat to freedom and democracy?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #23 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:42pm

I'm sorry FD - you seem to be confused by the simple concept of not being able to wear what you want is actually the threat to freedom and democracy.

Either that or this is what passes for FD humour.

Quote:

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #24 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:52pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:12pm:

Yes, hypocrite freedom warriors (like you) who turn a blind eye to the persecution/discrimination of minorities.

I'm not FD, but i will tell you nonetheless....

ANSWER;
#1, people who want to criticise Islam
BECAUSE; moslems,      will, if they are unopposed,      seek to normalise the practice their religion [locally],
as Theocratic totalitarianism.

Quote:

mortimer says      

Aug 10, 2018 at 7:59 pm

35 FACTS about Islam that are HATABLE and unacceptable:

1 No Golden Rule 2 No free speech 3 No democracy 4 Jihad – holy war of supremacism 5 Honour killings 6 Taqiyya – sacred lying 7 Taqlid – group think 8 Circular reasoning 9 Misogyny – repression of women 10 Rape of kafirs as jihad prizes 11 Genocide 12 Ethnic cleansing 13 Al-Walaa wal-Baraa – Islamic apartheid 14 Torture 15 Plundering 16 Cruel and unusual punishments 16 Backwardness – stagnation 17 Violence against women 18 Slavery 19 Discriminatory Sharia law 20 Hatred of the arts 21 No music 22 Pedophilia disguised as child marriage 23 Fifty generations of cousin marriage and genetic defects 24 Cruelty to animals 25 Extortion tax to humiliate disbelievers 26 No historic basis 27 Anti-intellectual obscurantism 28 FGM 29 Arab racism 30 Theocratic totalitarianism 31 Vigilantism 32 Amoral, opportunistic character of Mohammed that all Muslims must imitate 33 Hatred of non-Muslims as an essential doctrine 34 History of Islam includes the genocidal murders of 270 million non-Muslims in Islamic holy wars, terrorism, persecutions and enslavement directed against non-Muslims.

mortimer says      

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:38 pm

35. Holy books of Islam contain more violence than all other foundational religious texts.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/08/video-imam-whose-son-was-training-school-shoo...

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #25 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:59pm

Yadda, say if you were king for the day, would you say that the religous freedoms of muslims would be under threat?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:03pm

freediver wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:13pm:
Let's ask Charlie Hebdo and Salman Rushdie.

No no, let's ask protesters in Charlottesville who don't like being murdered, kids separated from their parents at the US border for being tinted, or all those Brexit voters who've changed their minds, realising they've been cheated.

The biggest threat to what you call liberal democracy, FD, is your very own bigotry. You acknowledge this too. You said you changed your mind.

This is, without a doubt, the biggest threat to the West since Hitler.

The fact that it's the return of white supremacist totalitarianism is demonstrated by your preference for the KKK over Muslim women doing their shopping. This one says it all.

You have abandoned "liberal democracy", I.e, global development through free trade and ideas, for a race war. Remember?

You changed your mind. The fact that you must use porkies to spread your agenda is the tell-all. Ultimately, the real tool is hatred. You offer a return to Apartheid, the White Australia Policy and Nazi Europe in return for porkies and bile.

It is a jolly world, no?
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:25pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:07pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
I'm sorry FD - you seem to be confused by the simple concept of not being able to wear what you want is actually the threat to freedom and democracy.

FD doesn't get that one. It's the old no-speaka-da-English ruse.

Amazing how many tactics FD borrowed from the old boy.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #28 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:41pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 1:59pm:

Yadda, say if you were king for the day, would you say that the religous freedoms of muslims would be under threat?

gandalf,

I do not entertain such fantasies or imaginings.

My feet and my perceptions are firmly planted in the real world, and upon the world i see around me.

As to my attitude toward the moslem.....

My firm obligation to my God,      is to treat all others fairly.

As i myself, would want to be treated.

Matthew 7:12
.....all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

But that does not mean that i should excuse, or trust,
those persons whom i know, full-well, follow a philosophy which encourages them, to promote deception, and violence, and murder, and violent religious bigotry, as a supposed religious virtue.

And ISLAM does promote the employment of the deception of non-moslems, as a means for the followers of ISLAM, to seek to achieve their nefarious objectives, in this world.

IMAGE...

Sheikh Yassir al-Burhami

Quote:

How Circumstance Dictates Islamic Behavior

January 18, 2012

Preach Peace When Weak, Wage War When Strong

"...all notions of peace with non-Muslims are based on circumstance.

When Muslims are weak, they should be peaceful; when strong, they should go on the offensive."

Sheikh Yassir al-Burhami - an ISLAMIC scholar and Egyptian Salafi leader
http://www.raymondibrahim.com/from-the-arab-world/how-circumstance-dictates-isla...

THE PEACEFUL ['MODERATE'] FOLLOWERS OF ISLAM;

Quote:

Live in peace till strong enough to wage jihad, says UK Deoband scholar to Muslims

London, Sept.8 [2007]

A Deobandi scholar believes Muslims should preach peace till they are strong enough to undertake a jihad, or a holy war.

Justice Muhammad Taqi Usmani was quoted by the BBC as saying that Muslims should live peacefully in countries such as Britain, where they have the freedom to practise Islam, only until they gain enough power to engage in battle.

A former Sharia judge in Pakistan's Supreme Court, 64-year-old Usmani, is...a regular visitor to Britain.
Polite and softly spoken....

He agreed that it was wrong to suggest that the entire non-Muslim world was intent on destroying Islam, but justifies an aggressive military jihad as a means of establishing global Islamic supremacy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article2409833.ece

Matthew 7:21
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

As per......

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18  He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19  Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

All Torah law statutes....

Thou shalt do no murder,

Thou shalt not commit adultery,

Thou shalt not steal,

Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Honour thy father and thy mother

All of the above were quoted by Jesus, from the book(s) of the law, the Torah ['the laws of Moses'],
Exodus 20:12-16
Deuteronomy 5:16-20

And including,
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
From, Leviticus 19:18

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:49pm by Yadda »  

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #29 - Aug 13th, 2018 at 5:49pm

Yadda is too busy being an anus every day.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:55pm

Are you shifting the goal posts already Gandalf?

Do you think people who speak out against the burqa ban are the biggest threat to freedom and democracy?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:11pm

FD, do you think white supremacists who oppose freedom and democracy are the biggest threat to freedom and democracy?

You haven't said.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:33pm

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 12:55pm:

No. And I don't even know why you are asking this. It makes no sense and has nothing to do with what I said.

In case you are still confused, this is what I asked:

Feel free to have a go answering it.

Quote:

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:40pm

Are you shifting the goal posts already Gandalf?

Those who speak out in that sense are a threat to the rights and freedoms of those who wear the burqua.
Freedom of religion is in our Constitution and always has been. Anti-Discrimination has been emebedded in legislation for years.
No doubt those wanting to wear such garments must also respect the various rules and rules in place

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:43pm

goldkam wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:40pm:
Those who speak out in that sense are a threat to the rights and freedoms of those who wear the burqua.

Could you explain that please?

Quote:

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:47pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:43pm:

Those who who comtinually speak out and support the banning of the burqua are in support of removing the rights and freedoms of those who wear a burqua.

These are rigths contained within various legislative documents

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:49pm

goldkam wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:47pm:

Those who who comtinually speak out and support the banning of the burqua are in support of removing the rights and freedoms of those who wear a burqua.

Can you provide me with the specific legislative documents?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Agreed. Sorry I misread you - I though you meant those who speak out against the ban were the threat to their freedoms.

Quote:

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:02pm

IAussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:49pm:

Can you provide me with the specific legislative documents?

I am not sure if you are quizzing me or are unsure. But every Australian should at least know the right to religion is contained within (expressively) the Constitution. It is also contained with state Anti Discrimination laws.

Moving more broadly. It is also contained in the UDHR.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:10pm

I am both quizzing and unsure what you mean.  There is no specific legislation in Australia which enshrines a right to wear a burqa.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:10pm:
I am both quizzing and unsure what you mean.  There is no specific legislation in Australia which enshrines a right to wear a burqa.

Given that a) wearing the burqa is generally acknowledged as expressing someone's religion and b) the constitution says that no legislation can be enacted that violates freedom of religion - surely the right to wear a burqa is already a given?

Quote:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:34pm

Quote:
I think there are some vague state laws that specify freedom of religion, and burqa wearing is generally accepted as exercising this freedom?

I am aware of none, hence my question to goldkam.

Quote:
Either way, in order for people to *NOT* have a right to wear the burqa - would surely require specific legislation saying so no? And that would probably fall foul of the constitution which says no legislation can be enacted to restrict freedom of religion.

There is scant but real reference in the Constitution.  This is it:

Quote:
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

Very importantly, note that the provision applies only to the Federal Government ("the Commonwealth")....and NOT State Governments.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:00pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:51pm:

Agreed. Sorry I misread you - I though you meant those who speak out against the ban were the threat to their freedoms.

FD cunningly avoids calls to ban the burqa. Ask him - he won't say.

What FD wants is a ban on Muslims. If you catch him out in a moment of honesty, he'll tell you that.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:06pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
Quote:
I think there are some vague state laws that specify freedom of religion, and burqa wearing is generally accepted as exercising this freedom?

I am aware of none, hence my question to goldkam.

Quote:
Either way, in order for people to *NOT* have a right to wear the burqa - would surely require specific legislation saying so no? And that would probably fall foul of the constitution which says no legislation can be enacted to restrict freedom of religion.

There is scant but real reference in the Constitution.  This is it:

Quote:
The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.

Very importantly, note that the provision applies only to the Federal Government ("the Commonwealth")....and NOT State Governments.

Good point, Aussie, but don't the states have similar clauses in their own constitutions?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #44 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:19pm

I know that with respect to Queensland, the answer is...no.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:30pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:19pm:
I know that with respect to Queensland, the answer is...no.

What about anti-discrimination legislation? I was under the impression that every state has equal opportunity policies and anti-discrimination commissioners.

This may not be constitutional, but legislated in response to the Commonwealth.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm

The Queensland Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of "religious belief or religious activity;"

So, the Qld Government is free to legislate against all and every face covering thing so long as it is a prohibition against EVERY Queenslander.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:05pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:49pm:
The Queensland Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of "religious belief or religious activity;"

So, the Qld Government is free to legislate against all and every face covering thing so long as it is a prohibition against EVERY Queenslander.

Right. So the burqa can't be banned as a cultural or religious garment, only as a face covering under certain conditions.

Personally, I support a ban on burqas as garments of oppression. I can't see how this could be applied in law, so they're just something I'll have to live with.

Civilisation has its discontents, yes?

I may not agree with your choice to wear a burqa, but I'll fight to the death for your right to wear it, no?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:36pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 2:33pm:

No. And I don't even know why you are asking this. It makes no sense and has nothing to do with what I said.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:48pm

freediver wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 7:36pm:

Minorities - don't act like you are NOT minorities.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:05pm

Frank wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:48pm:

Minorities - don't act like you are NOT minorities.

Unless you're a cheese-eating stool-dweller who flew here.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 10:06pm

Do you know? That's the most eloquent post you've made in a long time, FD.

You should do more quotes.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:32pm

Of course there is not. Just like there is not anything contained within legislation relating to right to wear priest garments, the right to read the bible. These are all part of the right to religion, in other words they are what make up and complete a religion. Just like the wearing of the Burqa makes up Islam.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:49pm

goldkam wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:32pm:

Of course there is not. Just like there is not anything contained within legislation relating to right to wear priest garments, the right to read the bible. These are all part of the right to religion, in other words they are what make up and complete a religion. Just like the wearing of the Burqa makes up Islam.

Wearing burqas does not make up Islam, Goldkam, just as wearing shrouds does not make up Judaism.

It's a con.

IP Logged

goldkam

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:40am

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:49pm:

Wearing burqas does not make up Islam, Goldkam, just as wearing shrouds does not make up Judaism.

It's a con.

Wearing shoes is universal and thus that particular action doesn't distinguish nor categorise one by their religion. Wearing a burqa does however distinguish a Muslim from an individual practising another religion. The wearing of the burqa is affirmed by religious doctrine and the various texts that are utilised within Islam. It is a profession of faith. Just like monks profess their faith toward Buddha and the Buddhist religion through garments and certain rituals and rules.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #55 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 12:52pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:00pm:

What FD wants is a ban on Muslims. If you catch him out in a moment of honesty, he'll tell you that.

Well FD does support banning burqas in the courtroom - based on the logic that it is literally no different (or perhaps worse) than klansmen in full KKK hoods turning up to intimidate people.

I tried getting him to explain which other circumstances he would dictate to women what they can and can't wear - but he got distracted insisting that the Islamic veil is at least as intimidating and threatening as the KKK outfit. And then after that, he spent another week denying he ever made such a comparison.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #56 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:05pm:
Personally, I support a ban on burqas as garments of oppression. I can't see how this could be applied in law, so they're just something I'll have to live with.

Apparently the UK has that very law - that prohibits people from being forced to wear something against their will.

Impractical? Perhaps, but Britain is at least trying to uphold freedom of expression/freedom of religion - while dealing with the oppression issue.

When the Belgium ban came in, its said there were something like 30 muslim women in the whole country who wore a full face covering. There are similarly miniscule numbers in the Netherlands Its absurd. You could literally keep a file on every one of them to ensure they are not being oppressed (if thats what you are really worried about - which we know most proponents are not). These figures should tell you all you need to know about what behind this ban.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #57 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:07pm

Yes FD - hypocrite freedom warriors who turn a blind eye to the discrimination/persecution of minorities are a big threat to our freedom of democracy.

Not sure how you confused that with people who speak out against persecuting minorities (like the burqa ban). Its literally the exact opposite.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:15pm

goldkam wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 8:40am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 11:49pm:

It's a con.

Wearing shoes is universal and thus that particular action doesn't distinguish nor categorise one by their religion. Wearing a burqa does however distinguish a Muslim from an individual practising another religion. The wearing of the burqa is affirmed by religious doctrine and the various texts that are utilised within Islam. It is a profession of faith. Just like monks profess their faith toward Buddha and the Buddhist religion through garments and certain rituals and rules.

True, but it's not a prerequisite for being a Muslim.

The Soviets had a similar issue when they banned circumcision for Jews. There, it was the opposite: they were banning a religious practice.

They allowed circumcision for Muslims as they deemed it to be cultural, not religious. Circumcision is not required in Islam, but it's indispensable within Judaism. For Jews, circumcision is a blood covenant with G_d.

Burqas are not indispensable in Islam, so we could say it's not a religious requirement. However, free expression is still a driving factor in our model of government, based on the Westminster system. I can only see a ban applicable on the grounds of security.

The reason the French can legally ban the burqa is, despite their liberty, they also have fraternity and solidarity as constitutional factors. In France, the government can rule on the notion of "Frenchness", or what is deemed to be culturally important to the nation (rather than the individual).

Our system is much more English, and much more individualist than the French or Soviet constitutional models.

And remember, Australia has never been a beacon of liberty. We've always been quick to ban things and Customs are the worst. For most of our history as a nation, we've placed limits on race. I doubt the White Australia Policy would be deemed constitutional today.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:04pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 5:05pm:

Apparently the UK has that very law - that prohibits people from being forced to wear something against their will.

Impractical? Perhaps, but Britain is at least trying to uphold freedom of expression/freedom of religion - while dealing with the oppression issue.

When the Belgium ban came in, its said there were something like 30 muslim women in the whole country who wore a full face covering. There are similarly miniscule numbers in the Netherlands Its absurd. You could literally keep a file on every one of them to ensure they are not being oppressed (if thats what you are really worried about - which we know most proponents are not). These figures should tell you all you need to know about what behind this ban.

I believe we have the same UK law in Australia. Sure, it gets to the surface of the issue, but not it's root.

Burqas aren't oppressive because a husband may make a wife wear it. They're oppressive in their function. They are designed to make women invisible.

Sure, women all over the Arab world go to great lengths to resist this: glamorous shoes, sunglasses and handbags, but that defeats the purpose.

I have no doubt that after a lifetime of hiding your face and skin, it would be traumatic to come out. But we expect this of people. We do have customs and a culture, and it's reasonable, I think, to have some minimum standards of self expression.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #60 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:06pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm:
We do have customs and a culture, and it's reasonable, I think, to have some minimum standards of self expression.

Of course it is. But that doesn't mean we should legislate laws to enforce those standards. And in fact there's a very good reason not to legislate laws. Its one of the few valid slippery slope arguments. Burqa ban today, headscarf tomorrow. Until we get to French-level absurdity of literally banning women from wearing skin and hair-covering swimwear at a beach.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 12:52pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 4:00pm:

Well FD does support banning burqas in the courtroom - based on the logic that it is literally no different (or perhaps worse) than klansmen in full KKK hoods turning up to intimidate people.

I tried getting him to explain which other circumstances he would dictate to women what they can and can't wear - but he got distracted insisting that the Islamic veil is at least as intimidating and threatening as the KKK outfit. And then after that, he spent another week denying he ever made such a comparison.

I would also support a ban on micky mouse face masks in a court room Gandalf. Of course, this does not change the fact that Islam is the greatest modern threat to freedom and democracy.

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:07pm:

Yes FD - hypocrite freedom warriors who turn a blind eye to the discrimination/persecution of minorities are a big threat to our freedom of democracy.

Not sure how you confused that with people who speak out against persecuting minorities (like the burqa ban). Its literally the exact opposite.

Confused eh? You have repeatedly acknowledged that I spoke out against the burqa ban. Though to be fair, you were attempting to argue that this proves I am a threat to freedom and democracy. You never did manage to make sense back then either.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:40pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 2:06pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 1:27pm:
We do have customs and a culture, and it's reasonable, I think, to have some minimum standards of self expression.

Of course it is. But that doesn't mean we should legislate laws to enforce those standards. And in fact there's a very good reason not to legislate laws. Its one of the few valid slippery slope arguments. Burqa ban today, headscarf tomorrow. Until we get to French-level absurdity of literally banning women from wearing skin and hair-covering swimwear at a beach.

That's true too, but we can't constitutionally ban them.

I would, however, like to see women - prisoners - come out of the dark.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #63 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 1:22pm

freediver wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:22pm:
You have repeatedly acknowledged that I spoke out against the burqa ban.

Ah thats right, that one time 5 years ago. Don't hear much of that now do we? In fact now you support banning it.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 3:02pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 1:22pm:

Ah thats right, that one time 5 years ago. Don't hear much of that now do we? In fact now you support banning it.

Well, let's not jump to any conclusions here, G. Let's do the right thing and let FD to speak for himself. That's curious.

FD, do you support a ban on the burqa?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:04pm

Can you quote me?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:07pm

freediver wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:04pm:

Can you quote me?

No need, FD. Just say whether you support banning the burqa. We're all friends here. I've said, G's said, we've all said what we think.

You?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:13pm

Obviously not. I have told Gandalf this many times.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:43pm

freediver wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 6:13pm:

Okay....so let's clear the air, Effendi.  Do you support the right of Muslim women to wear the burqa, and/or whatever else they decide they will wear?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #69 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:17am

Can you quote me?

freediver wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:57pm:
I'm with the judge on this one. Face coverings should be banned in court.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #70 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:19am

Except in a courtroom FD, you should include that little disclaimer.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #71 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:25am

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:17am:

Can you quote me?

freediver wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:57pm:
I'm with the judge on this one. Face coverings should be banned in court.

Just about everything is banned in a courtroom Gandalf, and the point is usually to strip someone of their freedom. You have the right to sit down and shut up.

Do you really see this as the same thing?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #72 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:57am

freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:25am:
You have the right to sit down and shut up.

I'm pretty sure you can do that wearing a veil.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 11:12am

Thanks, FD. So you support the right of the Muselman to wear what he likes?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #74 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 12:32pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:57am:
freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 9:25am:
You have the right to sit down and shut up.

I'm pretty sure you can do that wearing a veil.

So freedom of speech and freedom of movement can go out the window, so long as you don't deny Muslims the right to cover their face?

Are you actually saying you don't distinguish between bans on wearing it in public, and bans on wearing it in a courtroom?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #75 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 12:44pm

I'm saying you support banning the burqa. The specific settings in which you support this doesn't change this simple fact.

By the way, can you explain to me how a veiled woman in a courtroom makes freedom of speech and freedom of movement "go out the window"?

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #76 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:07pm

I'm assuming you have no issue with people being banned from turning up with a carton and having a bit of a pissup while court is in session. Is the burka restriction the only courthouse restriction you have an issue with?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:13pm

freediver wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
I'm assuming you have no issue with people being banned from turning up with a carton and having a bit of a pissup while court is in session. Is the burka restriction the only courthouse restriction you have an issue with?

That's the Boongs, FD, don't get your tinted races mixed up.

Is the courthouse restriction the only burqa restriction you have an issue with?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #78 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:17pm

I'm assuming you have no issue with people being banned from turning up with a carton and having a bit of a pissup while court is in session.

Bad example, Effendi.  Doing that is breaching existing law which says thou shalt not drink alcohol in an unlicenced public place.   

Quote:
Is the burka restriction the only courthouse restriction you have an issue with?

There are many restrictions Effendi.  All imposed by petulant occupiers of ivory towers who claim that they must preserve some dignity and 'respect' in Court Rooms, instead of doing the daily routine/job which is what they monotonously do......sausage meat in, sausages out....rinse and repeat.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:38pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 17th, 2018 at 7:17pm:
I'm assuming you have no issue with people being banned from turning up with a carton and having a bit of a pissup while court is in session.

Bad example, Effendi.  Doing that is breaching existing law which says thou shalt not drink alcohol in an unlicenced public place.   

Quote:
Is the burka restriction the only courthouse restriction you have an issue with?

There are many restrictions Effendi.  All imposed by petulant occupiers of ivory towers who claim that they must preserve some dignity and 'respect' in Court Rooms, instead of doing the daily routine/job which is what they monotonously do......sausage meat in, sausages out....rinse and repeat.

Well, that wouldn't be fair then, Aussie, would it? FD has already told us he supports the donning of burqa for culturally-appropriate reasons.

You know, like the donning of the KKK uniform.

Freeeedom, innit.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #80 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:45am

We ban alcohol all the time FD. And usually for good reasons. The burqa is not a drug that numbs your inhibitions and can make you a danger to yourself and others. So really bad analogy there.

I think the main problem you have here is that you have no reasonable justification for banning the burqa in a courtroom - especially when you attempt to justify it on the absurd grounds that it is at least as political/intimidatory/sinister as a KKK outfit. And in the original discussion I pointed out how the woman was prepared to undergo a security and identity check from a female security guard - to allay any potential risks on that front. And in case you forgot the original story - she wasn't even going to take the stand - merely wanted to be in the room to support her husband.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #81 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:48pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:45am:

We ban alcohol all the time FD. And usually for good reasons. The burqa is not a drug that numbs your inhibitions and can make you a danger to yourself and others. So really bad analogy there.

I think the main problem you have here is that you have no reasonable justification for banning the burqa in a courtroom - especially when you attempt to justify it on the absurd grounds that it is at least as political/intimidatory/sinister as a KKK outfit. And in the original discussion I pointed out how the woman was prepared to undergo a security and identity check from a female security guard - to allay any potential risks on that front. And in case you forgot the original story - she wasn't even going to take the stand - merely wanted to be in the room to support her husband.

Way to mis the point Gandalf. Let me go back to my previous phrasing: in a courtroom, you have the right to sit down and shut up. Given that, don't you think it's a little hysterical to equate a courtroom ban with a nationwide ban?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Aug 20th, 2018 at 9:29pm

freediver wrote on Aug 20th, 2018 at 5:48pm:

Way to mis the point Gandalf. Let me go back to my previous phrasing: in a courtroom, you have the right to sit down and shut up. Given that, don't you think it's a little hysterical to equate a courtroom ban with a nationwide ban?

Excuse me, FD, you just equated a nationwide ban with a courtroom ban.

But I'm curious. Why, exactly, do you want a courtroom ban? You haven't said.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #83 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:27am

Now your verbling me.

You support banning the burqa. That doesn't mean a nationwide ban, I never said it did. What particular settings you advocate this ban doesn't change the essential point that you support banning it.

Moreover you have fumbled badly at attempting to justify this ban - you've gone from 'you have the right to sit down and shut up in a courtroom' (which if course is completely nonsensical to the question of whether a burqa should be allowed - given that a burqa clad woman will almost certainly do nothing but sit down and shut up), to the most inappropriate analogy with having a piss up in the courtroom. And now it seems you're back to your "sit down and shut up" non-argument - coupled with a nice strawman.

You are all over the shot FD, thats the key point here. I suspect thats why you are being so precious about being called out on wanting bans. No freedom warrior would feel uncomfortable for supporting bans where there is a legitimate public safety issue at stake (bike helmets in a bank for example), but when they dogmatically call for bans without any good reason for it, then not surprisingly cognitive dissonance will set in. Hence all the incoherent flailing.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 5:58pm

Quote:
You support banning the burqa. That doesn't mean a nationwide ban, I never said it did.

Would you agree that it is misleading to accuse someone of supporting a ban on something when it only applies in the context of a courtroom?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 11:58pm

freediver wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 5:58pm:
Quote:
You support banning the burqa. That doesn't mean a nationwide ban, I never said it did.

Would you agree that it is misleading to accuse someone of supporting a ban on something when it only applies in the context of a courtroom?

Why in a courtroom, FD? We'll need to flesh out the context.

I'm sure you wouldn't want G putting words into your mouth here, would you agree?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 3:20pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 21st, 2018 at 9:27am:

Now your verbling me.

You support banning the burqa. That doesn't mean a nationwide ban, I never said it did. What particular settings you advocate this ban doesn't change the essential point that you support banning it.

Moreover you have fumbled badly at attempting to justify this ban - you've gone from 'you have the right to sit down and shut up in a courtroom' (which if course is completely nonsensical to the question of whether a burqa should be allowed - given that a burqa clad woman will almost certainly do nothing but sit down and shut up), to the most inappropriate analogy with having a piss up in the courtroom. And now it seems you're back to your "sit down and shut up" non-argument - coupled with a nice strawman.

You are all over the shot FD, thats the key point here. I suspect thats why you are being so precious about being called out on wanting bans. No freedom warrior would feel uncomfortable for supporting bans where there is a legitimate public safety issue at stake (bike helmets in a bank for example), but when they dogmatically call for bans without any good reason for it, then not surprisingly cognitive dissonance will set in. Hence all the incoherent flailing.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #87 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 11:12am

Quote:

The question is, why would it only apply to a courtroom? There is no reason why the incoherent flailings that passes for your justifications wouldn't equally apply to any number of other settings. Its not like you have said anything that is unique to a courtroom - only have the right to sit down and shut up, it could be mistaken for political activism and whatever other incoherent thought bubbles you come up with - not only do they not justify a ban in a courtroom (a burqa clad woman can sit down and shut up with a burqa, can be non-political-activist while wearing a burqa), these anti-freedom principles you allude to are in no way restricted to a courtroom setting. I've asked you many times what other settings you would support dictating to women what they can and can't wear. You never responded. Presumably if you can support this ban with such a vague and incoherent justification - you would support others. It seems to me the justification is secondary to the principle of banning for the sake of banning.

Either way, lets settle with you support banning the burqa - without any reasonable justification.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2018 at 11:21am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #88 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:44pm

Because it might intimidate witnesses to have masked people in the gallery.

If you are going to rant about my inability to justify my position, don't you think you ought to ask me to justify my position first?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #89 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:04pm

freediver wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:44pm:
If you are going to rant about my inability to justify my position, don't you think you ought to ask me to justify my position first?

No. The coherency and legitimacy of your own arguments are entirely dependent on whether or not you can offer an adequate rationale and justification for them - not on whether or not I ask you to justify them.

a completely irrational and baseless proposition. You may as well say the same for people who turn up with red ties or sunglasses. No wonder you felt the need to draw a moral equivalency with the KKK and run with some ridiculous political activism angle before.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #90 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 2:37pm

We always ask FD about his position.

For some reason, he won't say.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #91 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 1:02am

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 1:04pm:

No. The coherency and legitimacy of your own arguments are entirely dependent on whether or not you can offer an adequate rationale and justification for them - not on whether or not I ask you to justify them.

Yes, but don't you think you should hear them first before ranting about how inadequate they are?

Quote:

a completely irrational and baseless proposition. You may as well say the same for people who turn up with red ties or sunglasses. No wonder you felt the need to draw a moral equivalency with the KKK and run with some ridiculous political activism angle before.

Isn't it the same justification used by a judge in Australia recently?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #92 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 9:22am

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 31st, 2018 at 11:12am:
Quote:

The question is, why would it only apply to a courtroom? There is no reason why the incoherent flailings that passes for your justifications wouldn't equally apply to any number of other settings. Its not like you have said anything that is unique to a courtroom - only have the right to sit down and shut up, it could be mistaken for political activism and whatever other incoherent thought bubbles you come up with - not only do they not justify a ban in a courtroom (a burqa clad woman can sit down and shut up with a burqa, can be non-political-activist while wearing a burqa), these anti-freedom principles you allude to are in no way restricted to a courtroom setting. I've asked you many times what other settings you would support dictating to women what they can and can't wear. You never responded. Presumably if you can support this ban with such a vague and incoherent justification - you would support others. It seems to me the justification is secondary to the principle of banning for the sake of banning.

Either way, lets settle with you support banning the burqa - without any reasonable justification.

This not about 'dictating to women wht to wear', bozo.
It's  about not hiding their faces.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #93 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 9:12am

freediver wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 1:02am:
Yes, but don't you think you should hear them first before ranting about how inadequate they are?

I have heard them FD - the irrational and baseless notion that somehow a veiled woman "might intimidate witnesses". Thats the latest shortened version. The longer version is that a woman sitting in the gallery to support her husband in the dress she wears wherever she goes - is literally equivalent (or worse) to a KKK thug appearing in his hood at the back of a courtroom specifically in order to intimidate witnesses.

Either way its not merely an "inadequate" line of reasoning - its also utterly ridiculous  - and really can only be explained by one thing - deep seated misogyny and, dare I say it, racism.

Obviously I disagree with the judge too - but I'm not debating with her. Yet somehow I have serious doubts she would justify it by launching this outrageous misogynystic attack, depicting women as these sinister political activists that might intimidate witnesses - no different to a racist klansman turning up to the gallery in their hood.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #94 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:32pm

Quote:
Obviously I disagree with the judge too - but I'm not debating with her.

Would you argue that the judge's argument was "a completely irrational and baseless proposition"?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #95 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 8:15pm

I haven't heard her argument FD - have you?

If it was anything like yours - which I'm pretty confident it isn't - then of course it would be completely irrational and baseless.

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:17pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 9:12am:

I have heard them FD - the irrational and baseless notion that somehow a veiled woman "might intimidate witnesses". Thats the latest shortened version. The longer version is that a woman sitting in the gallery to support her husband in the dress she wears wherever she goes - is literally equivalent (or worse) to a KKK thug appearing in his hood at the back of a courtroom specifically in order to intimidate witnesses.

Either way its not merely an "inadequate" line of reasoning - its also utterly ridiculous  - and really can only be explained by one thing - deep seated misogyny and, dare I say it, racism.

Obviously I disagree with the judge too - but I'm not debating with her. Yet somehow I have serious doubts she would justify it by launching this outrageous misogynystic attack, depicting women as these sinister political activists that might intimidate witnesses - no different to a racist klansman turning up to the gallery in their hood.

You are not in the blighted Middle East, bozo.  Your Muslim norms are not universal and they certainly do not apply here.

This is a society that has set its face (!) against everything your oppressive, backward religion has stood for for 1400 years.  Don't try to universalise your primitive superstitions, pal.  And certainly do not try to make it out that the West OWES you respect or recognition for your backwardness and primitivism.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:26pm

Frank wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:17pm:

You are not in the blighted Middle East, bozo.  Your Muslim norms are not universal and they certainly do not apply here.

This is a society that has set its face (!) against everything your oppressive, backward religion has stood for for 1400 years.  Don't try to universalise your primitive superstitions, pal.  And certainly do not try to make it out that the West OWES you respect or recognition for your backwardness and primitivism.

And yet, the old boy won't even support a burqa ban, he simply won't hear of it.

Yes, the old boy may not agree with what you have to say, G, but he'll fight to the death for your right to say it.

What a great guy. He even disagrees with himself.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #98 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:28pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 8:15pm:

If it was anything like yours - which I'm pretty confident it isn't - then of course it would be completely irrational and baseless.

From memory, it was the risk of intimidating witnesses.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #99 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 11:57pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:26pm:

And yet, the old boy won't even support a burqa ban, he simply won't hear of it.

Yes, the old boy may not agree with what you have to say, G, but he'll fight to the death for your right to say it.

You eat too much shite, paki. Rots your mind.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #100 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 8:31am

Frank wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 11:57pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:26pm:

You eat too much shite, paki. Rots your mind.

It's the polite thing to do, dear.

You keep offering.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #101 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:08am

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 10:28pm:

Incorrect.

He doesn't mention witnesses and only gives some vague waffle that could mean anything and nothing:

Quote:
Justice Christopher Beale ruled Supreme Court spectators must have their faces uncovered in order to prevent misbehaviour in the courtroom that could lead to the discharging of a jury.

Quote:
“Requiring spectators’ faces to be uncovered is, in my view, the least restrictive means of upholding court security,” Justice Beale said.

He seems to be under the impression that the risk of a courtroom riot is somehow reduced if he can see everyone's face.

But gee what a surprise that its yet again a man - dictating what women can and can't wear.

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #102 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:38am

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:08am:

Incorrect.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:43am

But gee what a surprise that its yet again a man - dictating what women can and can't wear.

Yes, but FD stands up for tinted women's rights, G.

This woman has the right to have her clothes chosen for her. Superior culture, innit.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #104 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:34pm

Incorrect.

He doesn't mention witnesses and only gives some vague waffle that could mean anything and nothing:

Quote:
Justice Christopher Beale ruled Supreme Court spectators must have their faces uncovered in order to prevent misbehaviour in the courtroom that could lead to the discharging of a jury.

Quote:
“Requiring spectators’ faces to be uncovered is, in my view, the least restrictive means of upholding court security,” Justice Beale said.

He seems to be under the impression that the risk of a courtroom riot is somehow reduced if he can see everyone's face.

Are you suggesting the judge would allow men to wear masks in the court gallery?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #105 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:47pm

Quote:
Are you suggesting the judge would allow men to wear masks in the court gallery?

I'll leave the direct question to Gandalf.

But.....no Judge would allow that....they are far too important to be taking the piss out of.  Just ask them.

However, if the potential mask wearers were properly searched and found to be clean.....why ought a Judge who does not have his finger up his own arse give a stuff?

Who cares.

You need to understand Effendi.....despite Judges' attempts to keep that finger up their own arse, as soon as the daily grind begins.....sausage meat in.....sausages out.  What happens in Court Rooms is a clinical process and individuality is non-existent.....unless a Jury is involved.  It is a boring factory, one of many across the Planet, and nothing in the public gallery impacts on that.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #106 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 10:08am

freediver wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:34pm:

Incorrect.

Quote:

Quote:

No. I would expect him to be consistent. I would say though that the situation is by far most relevant in the case of a niqab, as it is by far the most common choice of face covering in society. It is really the only form you are likely to see on the street as a 'normal' piece of clothing, and its probably only going to become more and more common. Which is why it makes sense for judges - and anyone else who insists on blanket 'face covering' bans, should consider making this an exception. It shouldn't be a security risk, as the women themselves have willingly volunteered to undergo identity and security checks (so there goes your "it could be a man" argument). 

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #107 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:46pm

So in considering a ban on face coverings, they should exempt the most common face covering they are likely to encounter?

Quote:
It shouldn't be a security risk, as the women themselves have willingly volunteered to undergo identity and security checks (so there goes your "it could be a man" argument).

I don't think either myself or the judge cited security as a justification. They aren't going to hide a bomb in their eyebrows.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #108 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:17pm

freediver wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 12:46pm:
So in considering a ban on face coverings, they should exempt the most common face covering they are likely to encounter?

Yes.

I don't think either myself or the judge cited security as a justification. They aren't going to hide a bomb in their eyebrows.

he cited "preventing misbehaviour". Thats sounds a lot like maintaining courtroom security if you ask me.

Eithe way, if the judge knows in advance that a close female relative of the accused who wears a niqab, and who is willing to undergo an identity and security check, would like to attend - what is the realistic risk of "misbehaviour", or in your case "intimidating" the witness? How can you rationally conclude that such a person is at risk of being more "misbehaving" or "intimidating" than anyone else? Is your concern that the witness is a racist who has an irrational fear of veiled women?

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:28pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 11:43am:

This woman has the right to have her clothes chosen for her. Superior culture, innit.

Well, who IS dictating that they SHOULD cover their faces?   They have not all separately and independently come to the conclusion, have they, strong and empowered and fiercely independent women though they all are, eh?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:11pm

Frank wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:28pm:

Well, who IS dictating that they SHOULD cover their faces?   

Why, their backward tinted culture, of course. Exactly why I'd like to see the burqa banned.

You?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #111 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:46pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

Yes.

he cited "preventing misbehaviour". Thats sounds a lot like maintaining courtroom security if you ask me.

So smuggling a bomb under your eyebrows is "misbehaving"?

Is it not more likely that the judge was referring to say, a scenario where people are talking in the public gallery, or worse still, threatening or abusing a witness or the jury from the public gallery, and he cannot see who it is?

Quote:
Eithe way, if the judge knows in advance that a close female relative of the accused who wears a niqab, and who is willing to undergo an identity and security check, would like to attend

They are not babysitters Gandalf.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:51pm

freediver wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:46pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

Yes.

So smuggling a bomb under your eyebrows is "misbehaving"?

Is it not more likely that the judge was referring to say, a scenario where people are talking in the public gallery, or worse still, threatening or abusing a witness or the jury from the public gallery, and he cannot see who it is?

Quote:
Eithe way, if the judge knows in advance that a close female relative of the accused who wears a niqab, and who is willing to undergo an identity and security check, would like to attend

They are not babysitters Gandalf.

That's right. Threatening with her eyebrows.

Hellou Hair and Beauty in Granville's a good place to start, FD. They have private rooms for covered ladies.

Ask for a group wives booking and get 10% off.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 10:54pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:11pm:

Why, their backward tinted culture, of course. Exactly why I'd like to see the burqa banned.

You?

Well, why should we not ban their " backward tinted culture, of course" as you put it, shitegobber?   Why defend their 'backward tinted culture' if it is responsible for their hideous coercion??

Gandalf, this is a huge problem for Muslims - your most steadfast allies and loudest defenders are the hideously perverted shite-eaters and other bottom feeders you have attracted by your idiotic 'victim culture'. They are all latching onto you so it's the 'muslims, trannies, pedos, coprophiliacs, perverts and other misfits'.

Well done.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 11:07pm

Frank wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 10:54pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 4:11pm:

You?

Well, why should we not ban their " backward tinted culture, of course" as you put it, shitegobber?   Why defend their 'backward tinted culture' if it is responsible for their hideous coercion??

Gandalf, this is a huge problem for Muslims - your most steadfast allies and loudest defenders are the hideously perverted shite-eaters and other bottom feeders you have attracted by your idiotic 'victim culture'. They are all latching onto you so it's the 'muslims, trannies, pedos, coprophiliacs, perverts and other misfits'.

Well done.

Well, why stop at culture? Why not ban their inferior backward tintedness?

They could at least start by covering it up, no?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #115 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:32am

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #116 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 10:46am

Sorry FD, you'll have to explain to me why such behaviour is either more likely or harder to control by allowing veiled women into the gallery.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:11am

Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 9:32am:

That was the Muselman, Aussie. The white race was forced to rape and pillage the new world because the Mohammedans taxed their trade routes.

Same with the smallpox epidemics. They're Arab diseases. Ask FD.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #118 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:31pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 10:46am:

Sorry FD, you'll have to explain to me why such behaviour is either more likely or harder to control by allowing veiled women into the gallery.

Because it might be harder to tell who is threatening a witness or juror if you are faced with a row of letterbox outfits.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #119 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:39pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:31pm:

Because it might be harder to tell who is threatening a witness or juror if you are faced with a row of letterbox outfits.

Exactly how does one threaten a Witness or Member of a Jury if they are wearing a "letterbox outfit?"

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #120 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:43pm

If someone in the gallery is that discrete when conducting intimidation operations that the judge can't identify the culprit - I suggest it wouldn't make a difference if they were masked or not.

Also, is this another example of you definitely not objectifying women by depicting them as letterboxes - and degrading them for good measure?

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #121 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:47pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:39pm:

Exactly how does one threaten a Witness or Member of a Jury if they are wearing a "letterbox outfit?"

Apparently its no different to a hooded klansman turning up to scare away black witnesses. Actually worse.

Quote:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #122 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:47pm

Quote:
If someone in the gallery is that discrete when conducting intimidation operations that the judge can't identify the culprit - I suggest it wouldn't make a difference if they were masked or not.

And, if the Judge can't identify a culprit, how could a witness/Jury member?

I don't know who came up with this excuse, whether it was a Judge or Effendi, but no matter.....it is fairyland imaginative bullshit.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #123 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Actually when I think about it, I really can't imagine how a veiled woman would go about intimidating a witness. Its not like making faces would do anything.

Quote:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #124 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm

Quote:
Apparently its no different to a hooded klansman turning up to scare away black witnesses. Actually worse.

I can see how a KKK bloke might scare a black witness given history, but can anyone tell me how a 'letterbox' outfit would scare anyone?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #125 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:52pm:
Quote:

I can see how a KKK bloke might scare a black witness given history, but can anyone tell me how a 'letterbox' outfit would scare anyone?

I'm guessing FD has racist islamophobes in mind.

And presumably by "misbehaviour" the judge means "turning up - dressed"

Quote:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #126 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:58pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
Quote:

But wouldn't a letterbox outfit inflame a racist homophone....and not scare them one little bit?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #127 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:16pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Quote:

But wouldn't a letterbox outfit inflame a racist homophone....and not scare them one little bit?

Good point. In that case, its clear that when the judge said "misbehaviour" he was actually referring to the risk of a witness flying into a rage because of their irrational hatred of seeing a veiled women sitting in the gallery minding her own business. Which naturally is the woman's fault.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 3:22pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 2:16pm:
Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:58pm:
Quote:

Good point. In that case, its clear that when the judge said "misbehaviour" he was actually referring to the risk of a witness flying into a rage because of their irrational hatred of seeing a veiled women sitting in the gallery minding her own business. Which naturally is the woman's fault.

That's better. And remember, decent white people have the right to not be offended.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #129 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:39pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:43pm:

Also, is this another example of you definitely not objectifying women by depicting them as letterboxes - and degrading them for good measure?

Suppose there are ten agitated, burka clad people in the gallery. One of them yells out a threat to a juror. How would you tell which one it is?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #130 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:42pm

Quote:
Suppose there are ten agitated, burka clad people in the gallery. One of them yells out a threat to a juror. How would you tell which one it is?

(Ignoring the 'agitated' bit....as if they were 'agitated' Judge Aussie would turf them) ~ The same way you'd do it if there were ten non burka clad people there.

Can you tell me how Judge Effendi would do that?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #131 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:30pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:39pm:

best bet is probably the one who did the yelling.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:20pm

Aussie wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:42pm:
Quote:

(Ignoring the 'agitated' bit....as if they were 'agitated' Judge Aussie would turf them) ~ The same way you'd do it if there were ten non burka clad people there.

Can you tell me how Judge Effendi would do that?

Effendi would ask them lots of questions to ascertain their security status.

You know, tinted.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Sep 8th, 2018 at 8:38pm

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #134 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 7:28pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 7:30pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 6:39pm:

best bet is probably the one who did the yelling.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #135 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:31pm

Religion of peace:  Woman Drops Her Child During A Brawl With Women Wearing Burqas In Saudi Arabia, carries on with personal spiritual journey fighting in Allah's path"

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh332pxHlbyYt116k4

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2018 at 8:39pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:25am

Islamic migration has contributes absolutely nothing positive to Western countries - indeed, Islam has not contributed anything positive to Muslim countries for at least half a milleannium.

Islam did what it did in the field of knowledge to justify itself at the light of the ancients. It has never done anything even in its so-called golden age to contribute to anyone else's civilisation let alone to the whole of humanity. The very idea is anathema to a Muslim mind steeped in Islam. Islam is not a universalist creed as Christianity is or as Western civilisation has been since antiquity. Islam is radically and doggedly two-tier, radically partisan and supremacist.

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/1052965782991331329

The Christians and the Jews were allowed to 'flourish' insofar as it benefited and served Islam. Even today Muslims are baying for the blood of a Christian simply because she drank from a cup on a hot day.  That is the heart of Islam, that eternally strange, barbaric intolerance and petty rancour.

Post-war Islamic immigration has benefited no Western country - or any other non-Muslim country. The movement of Muslims into non-Muslim countries has brought only discord and degradation to each and every society that permitted it, Western or not.
Conversely, its exclusively Western ideas and technology that have made any development in Muslim countries possible. Those great and wondrous achievements of the Islamic mind have done absolutely nothing to lift Muslim countries out of poverty, tyranny, misery. All they do is keep them there.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #137 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:24pm

Frank wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 11:25am:
And when you see the Muslim, kill them wherever you fill them, and turn them out from where they've turned you out - for al-fitna is better than oppression.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:12pm

removed

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2018 at 6:43pm by polite_gandalf »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #139 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:30pm

removed
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:44pm by polite_gandalf »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:11pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 21st, 2018 at 12:24pm:
And when you see the Muslim, kill them wherever you fill them, and turn them out from where they've turned you out - for al-fitna is better than oppression.

Taqiyya in action.

When did you convert...  sorry,... revert, Fowwest?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #141 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:28pm

Frank wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:11pm:

Taqiyya in action.

... Being childish now, are you Soren? Tsk, tsk, tsk

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:43pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:28pm:

Taqiyya in action.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg Being childish now, are you Soren? Tsk, tsk, tsk

How many Bwians and turds do we need on these boards???

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #143 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:49pm

Frank wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:43pm:

Taqiyya in action.

[url]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smile...[/url] Being childish now, are you Soren? Tsk, tsk, tsk

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 8:58pm

Auggie wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:49pm:
Frank wrote on Oct 22nd, 2018 at 6:43pm:

Taqiyya in action.

[url]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smile...[/url] Being childish now, are you Soren? Tsk, tsk, tsk

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Well, this Bwian/gweggy has seen the light and conceded that we don't need a third WA idiot spouting the same garbage.

So it's down to two, Bwian and/or gweggy the s-bend defier - same person, really.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print