Science vs. Religion (Read 16695 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: Science vs. Religion
Reply #30 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:27am

Jasin wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:58am:
Science V Religion  Grin Grin Grin Grin

That's like saying a woman giving birth 'Creationism' is right and a Man culturally raising the kid to an adult 'Evolution' is wrong.  Roll Eyes

Science V Religion is like saying
Music V Fashion

...or Military V Medicine
...or Conservation V Cooking
...or Art V Politics
...or Aeroplanes V Submarines
...or Sport V Maths
...or Cities V Farms

As you can see, the old Science V Religion (Evolution V Creationism, etc  Roll Eyes) is really really STOOPID.

STOOPID people think there is only ONE right answer  Roll Eyes Tongue

Actually No. The analogies that you quote have nothing to do with the difference between ancient accepted beliefs that something is true and scientific reasonings that prove otherwise.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:33pm

Neither science nor religion are able to explain the discarnate appearance of the supposedly physically dead

Neither of them

Meanwhile, millions throughout history have witnessed the ghosts of the dead and are in no doubt about their experience/s

Science and religion attempt to render life explainable, without success

Both attempt to own Life and Death

They're not convincing anywhere near as many as they'd like

it's out of their hands

that really irritates them

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #32 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 5:44pm

PZ547 wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 2:33pm:
Neither science nor religion are able to explain the discarnate appearance of the supposedly physically dead

Neither of them

Meanwhile, millions throughout history have witnessed the ghosts of the dead and are in no doubt about their experience/s

Science and religion attempt to render life explainable, without success

Both attempt to own Life and Death

They're not convincing anywhere near as many as they'd like

it's out of their hands

that really irritates them

I killed a couple of cane toads yesterday. Nothing supposedly about it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Aug 30th, 2018 at 9:13am

Amadd wrote on Aug 29th, 2018 at 4:27am:
Jasin wrote on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 12:58am:
Science V Religion  Grin Grin Grin Grin

That's like saying a woman giving birth 'Creationism' is right and a Man culturally raising the kid to an adult 'Evolution' is wrong.  Roll Eyes

Science V Religion is like saying
Music V Fashion

...or Military V Medicine
...or Conservation V Cooking
...or Art V Politics
...or Aeroplanes V Submarines
...or Sport V Maths
...or Cities V Farms

As you can see, the old Science V Religion (Evolution V Creationism, etc  Roll Eyes) is really really STOOPID.

STOOPID people think there is only ONE right answer  Roll Eyes Tongue

Actually No. The analogies that you quote have nothing to do with the difference between ancient accepted beliefs that something is true and scientific reasonings that prove otherwise.

Actually Yes. I understand that Science floats its boat over Religion in the Northern Hemisphere because 'up there' Religion is for the poor (breeders) and Science is for the rich (Achievers).
...but here in the Southern Hemisphere - its the reverse.
Here 'Science' lacks common sense for starters and is renowned for many stuff ups. Here Science is for the 'breeders' and Religion is for the 'achievers'.

So, as you can see - there are 'two' right answers for starters, like two 'hemispheres' of the brain (surely you're not just thinking Northern Hemisphere? I might have to call you a 'half-wit' then? Huh Cheesy)

Science has ruined this world, as 'technology' has so obviously come through its Port and not Religions. Look at the world today - its due to all of those 'scientific' inventions that have brought pollution and devastation of war to the planet.

Science has been smart to stuff things up, but it is too weak to rectify it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #34 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 16th, 2018 at 5:01pm:
It is easy to prove that religion is a man made construct.
Therefore the null hypothosis is that there is no God.
The onus of proof lies with the religious.
There is no point in even entertaining the idea of the existence of God until there is proof.

How can you be so sure......???

Would you bet your soul over to the devil....!!!

If you stop to think about everything,

The goldilocks zone

Variety of life on Earth

The physics of nature

etc etc

Can all this be by luck....somehow I just cant see it.

The proof will be revealed when we pass from this life.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:03pm

Northern Hemisphere:

Religion: Fictional, for breeders
Science: Factual, for powermongers

Southern Hemisphere:

Religion: Factual, for powermongers
Science: Fictional, for breeders

...don't you love how things balance out and equalise  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 7:10pm

Ajax wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm:
There is no point in even entertaining the idea of the existence of God until there is proof.

The goldilocks zone

Variety of life on Earth

The physics of nature

etc etc

Why can't it be luck? In a universe of infinite possibilities, infinite variations are possible.

Why is random chance almost offensive to people? If anything it should make us feel even more special. Despite the odds we are here.

The idea of a creator diminishes that.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:02pm

Ajax wrote on Sep 2nd, 2018 at 2:25pm:

The goldilocks zone

Variety of life on Earth

The physics of nature

etc etc

What you are describing is the observer paradox
If the universe WASN'T perfect for the formation of intelligent life then we wouldn't be here discussing it.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #38 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 12:03pm

Its also an argument from incredulity

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:11pm

Hmmm you guys are asking me to believe something that is even more incredible than the God theory.

The big bang can only work if there is a God, think about it something so small it can sit on the end of the point of a pin exploded and the universe was formed, how do they know it was so small, why did it explode…?...where did all the matter come from.

Just because they cannot explain why the universe is expanding, they came up with a hypothesis that is even more incredible than the God theory under the guise of science and you believe that.

First thing you are taught in physics is you cannot make something from nothing, why should this not hold true for a silly hypothesis that cannot even prove..??

Yet the God theory sounds so ridiculous to all of you.

Or that the ingredients of life transported to Earth by a meteor and the diversity of life found on the Earth came from a maggot that formed and crawled out of the sea.

The truth is nobody knows and all will be revealed when we all pass from this life, unfortunately it’s a one way ticket.

The only thing I have to say about religion is, if Jesus had found milk and honey with the pharisees and the scribes I probably wouldn't believe in the God theory.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:00pm

Isn't the 'belief in God'
the 'belief in the people'?

I mean. Young child, orphan - no parents, grows up in 150BC like an animal after scraps.
If no parents, if no other known relatives - who does he/she put their 'faith' in?
The original 'concept' of God was that these people could put their faith in something ...a sense of 'belonging'.

Where would you be, as a person - if you had no 'family'?
Does Science have anything for that or like that?
No. Science has no sense of morality and hence why so many 'Scientific' innovations/inventions/procedures have ruined the planet, people's lives and more.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:13pm

Ajax wrote on Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:11pm:
Hmmm you guys are asking me to believe something that is even more incredible than the God theory.

The big bang can only work if there is a God, think about it something so small it can sit on the end of the point of a pin exploded and the universe was formed, how do they know it was so small, why did it explode…?...where did all the matter come from.

Just because they cannot explain why the universe is expanding, they came up with a hypothesis that is even more incredible than the God theory under the guise of science and you believe that.

First thing you are taught in physics is you cannot make something from nothing, why should this not hold true for a silly hypothesis that cannot even prove..??

Or that the ingredients of life transported to Earth by a meteor and the diversity of life found on the Earth came from a maggot that formed and crawled out of the sea.

The truth is nobody knows and all will be revealed when we all pass from this life, unfortunately it’s a one way ticket.

The only thing I have to say about religion is, if Jesus had found milk and honey with the pharisees and the scribes I probably wouldn't believe in the God theory.

You are using the typical flawed argument of a theist.
That because it's so complicated and we can't (currently) fully explain the universe, the only possible explanation is God.
There are many possible explanations on how the universe began and how life began but the one thing they have in common is that they don't require a God entity.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #42 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:40pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Sep 5th, 2018 at 9:13pm:

You are using the typical flawed argument of a theist.
That because it's so complicated and we can't (currently) fully explain the universe, the only possible explanation is God.
There are many possible explanations on how the universe began and how life began but the one thing they have in common is that they don't require a God entity.

Religion: "I don't know, it must be God."

Science: "I don't know, let's find out."

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #43 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:46pm

So if God created the universe then you would believe that God is all powerful, correct?

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 9:01pm

Raven wrote on Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:46pm:

So if God created the universe then you would believe that God is all powerful, correct?

Youngest son used to go to a Christian Youth Group, he was even a youth leader. Then one day, he was asked to never come back to hang out with his friends. He asked that question. When the elders answered yes he then asked, ok if that is the case can he create a rock so heavy he can't lift it? The elders, without much thought obviously, answered yes. He then asked how then could he be all powerful if he can't lift it?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print