Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
Send Topic Print
BIG AFRICAN RIOT IN TAYLORS HILL (Read 16231 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: BIG AFRICAN RIOT IN TAYLORS HILL
Reply #210 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:02am

Auggie wrote on Aug 14th, 2018 at 8:24pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 13th, 2018 at 9:50pm:
Can't agree, Auggie - the plight of Aboriginals is much better in some ways now than it was then, and they have opportunities, but don't accept them and prefer to continue their current lifestyle in far too many cases.

Excellent question. My answer is that institutional discrimination, which the indigenous peoples used to suffer from has generational effects. The Right often say: "Oh well, there aren't any laws discriminating against them now, so all is good." But, this completely disregard any social reality. Institutional discrimination is insidious and is more 'indirect' than what you claim.

It's very easy to say 'people choose to do things' but only irrational people choose to do things which lead to their own self-destruction. That irrational motive is due to the institutionalised oppression the indigenous peoples suffered before and which lingers on today.
Can you give a valid  example of institutional racism which "lingers on today" thanks.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #211 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:16pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:54am:
Can't agree, Auggie - the plight of Aboriginals is much better in some ways now than it was then, and they have opportunities, but don't accept them and prefer to continue their current lifestyle in far too many cases.

Excellent question. My answer is that institutional discrimination, which the indigenous peoples used to suffer from has generational effects. The Right often say: "Oh well, there aren't any laws discriminating against them now, so all is good." But, this completely disregard any social reality. Institutional discrimination is insidious and is more 'indirect' than what you claim.

It's very easy to say 'people choose to do things' but only irrational people choose to do things which lead to their own self-destruction. That irrational motive is due to the institutionalised oppression the indigenous peoples suffered before and which lingers on today.

When you say 'used to suffer' you hit the nail on the head.... perpetually going over the past will aid Aboriginals no more than the British whining about the Norman Invasion will change things...

What are your proposals to bring Aboriginals out of their current situation?  Pick up a selected few, remove them from their 'community', dump them elsewhere and compel them to adopt the ways of society and thus prosper mightily by using The White Man's Way?  Then pick up another selected few, bring them up to standard, and then repeat until it's problem solved?

(I thought that had been tried)...........................................................

At what point does self-determination come into this picture?

You seem to be suggesting that Aboriginals as a group are 'irrational' leading to their own self-destruction (double whammy there - I'd like a double whammy burger for breakfast...).. and yet are blaming everyone else for that destruction.

I can assure you I came from a life of extreme deprivation in many ways - I did not turn to crime as a way of life.... (you can safely leave that to government and its instruments - they'll handle that for you, being essentially criminal in nature, so you are represented in criminal activity anyway).. rather the opposite.

Unless Aboriginals pick themselves up by their own thong-straps and decide to get ahead on their own steam - they never will - and handing them more and more out of whatever motivation will never change their situation for the better - only imbue them with a sense of entitlement for more and more and more.... without Earning it!

Believe it or not, there are Aboriginal nurses, dentists, and actors and such, and some even run businesses - it can be done.... but those specific people are self-motivated to do better, and want better for their own people.  Yes - they get scholarships and such to help - but that's for the very reasons you approach (but not meet) in your muddled way..... simply put - because unless they receive that assistance, the bonds of their 'community' will never release them to do better, meaning that the bonds are primarily this demand that they remain 'separate but more equal' by retaining their 'identity' - failed as it is as a means of prospering.

What part of 'intergenerational' don't you get?? Institutional discrimination is very different from everyday, casual discrimination.

Just because some are able to succeed, it doesn't mean that those residual effects don't exist.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #212 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 6:18pm

rhino wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 11:02am:

Can you give a valid  example of institutional racism which "lingers on today" thanks.

The Stolen Generation; the disruption of their way of life; their basic rights denied, etc.; loss and grief due to past atrocities and murders.

Shall I go on?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #213 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:19pm

You do go on...  and on and on...
perhaps it would be more bearable if when you did you went on factually.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #214 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:20pm

Australian politicians criticised a Queensland senator for his reference to the “final solution” in his maiden speech in parliament on Tuesday, August 14. Senator Fraser Anning of the Katter’s Australia Party said

Australia should restrict immigrants from the “third world” and that a national vote to ban Muslim migration would be the “final solution to the immigration problem.” “The record of Muslims who have already come to this country in terms of rates of crime, welfare dependency and terrorism are the worst of any migrant and vastly exceed another immigrant group,” Anning said. “We have black African Muslim gangs terrorising Melbourne, we have Isis-sympathising Muslims trying to go overseas to try and fight for Isis and while all Muslims are not terrorists, certainly all terrorists these days are Muslims. So why would anyone want to bring more of them here?”

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #215 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:20pm:
Australian politicians criticised a Queensland senator for his reference to the “final solution” in his maiden speech in parliament on Tuesday, August 14. Senator Fraser Anning of the Katter’s Australia Party said

Australia should restrict immigrants from the “third world” and that a national vote to ban Muslim migration would be the “final solution to the immigration problem.” “The record of Muslims who have already come to this country in terms of rates of crime, welfare dependency and terrorism are the worst of any migrant and vastly exceed another immigrant group,” Anning said. “We have black African Muslim gangs terrorising Melbourne, we have Isis-sympathising Muslims trying to go overseas to try and fight for Isis and while all Muslims are not terrorists, certainly all terrorists these days are Muslims. So why would anyone want to bring more of them here?”

John Howard has condemned Fraser Anning’s use of the term “final solution”, and reiterated his support for a non-discriminatory immigration policy.

The former prime minister today added his voice to the chorus of disapproval over Senator Anning’s first speech, in which he called for a ban on Muslim immigration and a “final solution to the immigration problem”.

“As prime minister I oversaw a non-discriminatory immigration policy,” Mr Howard told The Australian.

“That remains my attitude. I found the Senator’s use of the expression ‘final solution’ particularly distasteful, given its horrific provenance.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/politicsnow-malcolm-turnbull-s...

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #216 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
You do go on...  and on and on...
perhaps it would be more bearable if when you did you went on factually.

You dabble in revisionist pseudo-history because it suits your worldview.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #217 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:29pm

We have people like Bobby spewing hatred on the internet, and we have Nazi-sympathising bigots trying to promote their hatred in Australia, and while not all white people are Nazis, certainly all Nazis are white. So why would anyone want to have more of them here??

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #218 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:29pm:

We have people like Bobby spewing hatred on the internet, and we have Nazi-sympathising bigots trying to promote their hatred in Australia, and while not all white people are Nazis, certainly all Nazis are white. So why would anyone want to have more of them here??

Don't shoot the messenger.
I merely copied & pasted part of a speech from a democratically elected senator of our Government.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #219 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:35pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:33pm:
Auggie wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:29pm:

Don't shoot the messenger.
I merely copied & pasted part of a speech from a democratically elected senator of our Government.

So, you support his point of view?? Or did you just 'copy and paste' a part of a speech from a senator in two different threads because you had nothing to do??

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #220 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:37pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:35pm:
So, you support his point of view?? Or did you just 'copy and paste' a part of a speech from a senator in two different threads because you had nothing to do??

I believe he made many points that need further discussion.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #221 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:39pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:37pm:

Like using the term 'Final Solution' to describe our immigration policy??

Come on, Bobby, today, we saw a whiff of Fascism in our Parliament, and you're just going to accept it?

In case you missed, read my thread called 'Crossing the River Rubicon'.

I've declared war on all of you folks.

I'm done appeasing.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #222 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:42pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:39pm:

Come on, Bobby, today, we saw a whiff of Fascism in our Parliament, and you're just going to accept it?

I'm done appeasing.

Wow - a senator asks for a democratic vote on muslim immigration
so you're going to attack everyone.

OK - so you don't like democracy.
What do you like?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #223 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:42pm:

I'm done appeasing.

What do you like?

A senator who represents an absolute smigen on the population, and you're going to ask the majority of Australians to drag immigrants through the mud publicly, invoking hatred and fear??

How about I get elected to Parliament and call on the people vote to have you tied up and thrown in jail??

Would you accept the democratic mandate?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #224 - Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:48pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:46pm:
Bobby. wrote on Aug 15th, 2018 at 7:42pm:

I'm done appeasing.

What do you like?

A senator who represents an absolute smigen on the population, and you're going to ask the majority of Australians to drag immigrants through the mud publicly, invoking hatred and fear??

How about I get elected to Parliament and call on the people vote to have you tied up and thrown in jail??

Would you accept the democratic mandate?

Actually, Booby might enjoy that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
Send Topic Print