Send Topic Print
AFL (Read 4779 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

AFL
Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:23am

Link.

I am not defending the arsehole with the king hit......but I do say the chance of this happening would be reduced if they knocked out all the off ball pushing and shoving which would certainly piss me off if I was playing that game.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: AFL
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:38am

It's always amazed me that these thugs aren't charged with criminal offences.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:39pm

It is a contact sport....Most players would be charged for assault if their hits and tackles were not in the game of AFL football....Whilst I agree Gaff deserves the full penalty of the AFL no criminal charges should be laid!!!

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:41pm

philperth2010 wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:39pm:
It is a contact sport....Most players would be charged for assault if their hits and tackles were not in the game of AFL football....Whilst I agree Gaff deserves the full penalty of the AFL no criminal charges should be laid!!!

Huh Huh Huh

He threw a punch, though.

He didn't bump into him, or fall on him - he threw a deliberate punch.

If it was boxing, that's another story.

Punch someone in the street, and you can be charged.

The same should apply on the football field.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:46pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:41pm:

Huh Huh Huh

It hasn't been tested in court. However, assault and battery would likely be found in such a case if it was tested.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:21pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:46pm:

Huh Huh Huh

It hasn't been tested in court. However, assault and battery would likely be found in such a case if it was tested.

I'd love it to be tested.  The king hit bloke can then raise his self-defence, and or provocation defence ..... based on all the illegal manhandling pushing and shoving.

The AFL would do everything it could to stop that sort of Court Room examination happening.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Huh Huh Huh

Are you claiming when a player sticks his elbow into someone's face or shirt fronts them whilst they are not looking it is accidental or different???

IMO most contact on a football field would be assault on the street....When you are payed to hit people tempers can be tested and things can get out of control....Let the AFL deal with it and accept there is an element of violence in sport that creates these situations???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:27pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:21pm:

Huh Huh Huh

I'd love it to be tested.  The king hit bloke can then raise his self-defence, and or provocation defence ..... based on all the illegal manhandling pushing and shoving.

The AFL would do everything it could to stop that sort of Court Room examination happening.

It probably already is.

It seems to be an open and shut case.

Punching is not part of the game of football.

Never has been.

If you punch someone in the street, you can be charged with an offence.

It makes sense that if you punch someone on the football field, you should be charged too.

Assault is assault, no matter where it happens.

I'm guessing people in the background are paid off, and the footballers are encouraged not to co-operate with the police (if they want to keep their jobs).

A lot of the boof-heads who watch football like to see the punch-ups, and without them the teams would probably lose some of their fans.

Neanderthals.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:28pm

Quote:
Let the AFL deal with it and accept there is an element of violence in sport that creates these situations???

No.  Not once in my long career playing Rugby League did I sign up for gratuitous violence beyond the contact expected and agreed to.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:05pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Quote:
Let the AFL deal with it and accept there is an element of violence in sport that creates these situations???

No.  Not once in my long career playing Rugby League did I sign up for gratuitous violence beyond the contact expected and agreed to.

Don't play AFL then???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:18pm

Thug culture.  Stamp it out.....far cough with the current residue of pushing and shoving.

No, I never played that Game and thank goodness for that.  I would have lasted no more than a small fraction of the Game if it is okay that some idiot gets to freely push and shove me around when I am nowhere near the ball.

IP Logged

Robbie

Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:27pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:28pm:
Quote:

Grin

Schoolboy Rugby at a Bundaberg High School?

FFS get over yourself.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:50pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:35pm

Aussie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:21pm:

Huh Huh Huh

It has already been tested....

edited....
Quote:
'But even in retrospect the second is a lot more confusing. Why the police decided to pluck this one incident from the many potential assaults that have occurred on football fields over the decades is still a great mystery.

''That one charge from round 12 in June 1985 remains the one and only time in the entire history of the VFL-AFL that the police have taken action about an on-field incident.

Matthews was initially convicted and fined $1000, but the conviction was overturned on appeal and he was granted a 12-month good behaviour bond.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/matthews-charge-still-mystery-20130729-2quxt...

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #13 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:01pm

That was a Gaffe alright.

Now he's going to be out of the finals and Brayshaw is left with serious injuries which will see him sidelned for a long period also.

Oh well. that's footy. That poo happens from time to time.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #14 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:48pm

Raven was surprised when he saw this incident. Gaff has had a squeaky clean record, considered a gentleman of the game.

Gaff claims he pushed him in the chest first to gain some space and then went to push him in the chest again.

Tribunal evidence:

"I meant to hit him in the chest. I feel sick I hit Andrew in the face. (I had) absolutely no intention to hit Andrew where I hit him. Tried to do a similar hit (to) what I did 10 seconds earlier with my right arm,”

“In a split second, his body has lowered significantly. I’ve hit him, meaning to hit him in the chest. I’ve hit him in the face."

Gaff contacted both Brayshaw and his family to apologise, which appears to be accepted.

Brayshaw's brother Hamish plays for West Coast and according to Mark Brayshaw, Andrew and Hamish's father and Chief Executive of the AFL Coaches Association, Hamish speaks highly of Gaff.

"Hamish said to me Andrew Gaff is one of his best mates, and the most delightful bloke you have ever met," Mark Brayshaw said.

Mark Brayshaw wrote on the PlayersVoice website he and his family were concerned for Gaff, as he dealt with the fall-out from his violent act.

"We're interested in and caring about how the other Andrew is going," he wrote.

"Young Andrew Gaff and his family are in the middle of this maelstrom which is pretty intense, and he's got a few other things going on.

"We hope he does well and gets through it all."

Mark Brayshaw said his son and Gaff would meet later this week, and he was hopeful they would "shake hands and move on".

Overall it's a terrible incident but no matter his intentions Gaff deserved the ban.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print