Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
We dont need vitamin supplements (Read 16344 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: We dont need vitamin supplements
Reply #60 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:13pm

Amadd wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:06pm:
Gnads wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 1:30pm:
Lisa Jones wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:13am:
Grendel wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:47am:
FROM THE OP...

Quote:
“People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,” says Professor Amanda Lee, who chaired the group of experts who wrote Australia’s dietary guidelines and is now based at the Australian Prevention Partnership Centre.

Oh dear even Professor Lee agrees with me.

People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,
but some people do need them.  D and Magnesium are commonly in shortage due to diet and lifestyle.  Some women can especially be short on D, Iron and Calcium. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Don't believe me?
https://www.healthline.com/health/vitamin-deficiency-in-women#vitamin-b

You are absolutely correct!

Some of us have medical issues eg I have Thalassemia (minor). I need to take supplements.

And I eat a very healthy diet. I have to.

Why?

I don’t enjoy B6 injections! I’m far happier with taking supplements plus maintaining a healthy diet thank you very much!

Bottom Line?

Be guided by your own medically qualified health professional.

Oh and for God’s sake....please ignore trolls like Groggy (who clearly has no idea)!

You have a medical condition.

People who don't ... don't need to be taking them.

It's the vast majority of people without medical conditions that take them thus making certain people filthy rich.

My GP (medically qualified health professional) advised me that under normal circumstances it's a waste of money.

My wife has a medical condition post cancer treatment that requires she take VitD & Calcium.

If not for her medical condition she wouldn't be taking it.

By the same token, I can't see why your wife wouldn't be advised to drink some milk and get out in the sun a bit.

I once believed in the benefits of vitamins, however, over the years I've come to the conclusion that they're a waste of money.

Ditto.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:34pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 9:47am:
FROM THE OP...

Quote:
“People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,” says Professor Amanda Lee, who chaired the group of experts who wrote Australia’s dietary guidelines and is now based at the Australian Prevention Partnership Centre.

Oh dear even Professor Lee agrees with me.

People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,
but some people do need them.  D and Magnesium are commonly in shortage due to diet and lifestyle.  Some women can especially be short on D, Iron and Calcium. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Don't believe me?
https://www.healthline.com/health/vitamin-deficiency-in-women#vitamin-b

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 5:36pm

Fuzzball wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:57am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:33am:
Oh, you're so right dear.

Humans wouldn't have managed to be around for 200,000 years if it wasn't for those supplements.

Sure, Chemist Warehouse was a lot smaller back then, but at least our ancient ancestors still had access to an (albeit limited) range of multi-vitamins.

You just can't help yourself can you pessary......needless to say you were born an arsehole and you'll never change............we should feel sorry for you shouldn't we.........

He thinks Hadley is an egotistical fool.... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin he should take a look in a mirror. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #63 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:49pm

rhino wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:48am:
magnesium and calcium are not vitamins. And yes, some people do need D supplements. Dark skinned people who live in cold climates for example.

I take magnesium tablets before bed to get a better night's rest. And I take D supplements because I have taken to working afternoons and nights out of the way of the sun. You just have to be out of the sun 99% of the day to need vitamin D tablets. 30 minutes of daylight exposure outside is sufficient.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #64 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:05am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:11am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:56pm:
Grendel wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Some people actually do need supplements.

I had to take spirulina tablets nearly every day. I then cut back my dosage of tablets when I got better to about a couple every work day (once every 4 days). The problem is that I went somewhat constipated from the dehydrating nature of the tablets. But that was quickly remedied by mixing my diluted fruit juice with chia seeds. So, I had a double dose of health combining for a good detox.

Some guy at a nutrition shop told me not to take multivitamin tablets. Said that multivitamin tablets are so packet tightly inside capsules that you are more likely to excrete most of the capsule before you are likely to get any benefit from them.

Than that guy knows poo all about digestion.

If you don't chew your food properly, you are eventually going to have visible portions of your food excreted out during a bowel movement. Whilst I agree that a multivitamin tablet's capsule is dissolvable during digestion, there is not the entire likelihood that your stomach's digestive enzymes and whatever the intestines produce can completely break down the tablet. But I think it is a load of rubbish too about not being able to get almost all of it absorbed. Except when you don't really need it, you you find your urine coloured brightly.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:08am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:49pm:
magnesium and calcium are not vitamins. And yes, some people do need D supplements. Dark skinned people who live in cold climates for example.

I take magnesium tablets before bed to get a better night's rest. And I take D supplements because I have taken to working afternoons and nights out of the way of the sun. You just have to be out of the sun 99% of the day to need vitamin D tablets. 30 minutes of daylight exposure outside is sufficient.
why dont you just spend a little time in the sun? seems like a no brainer to me. Im not deficient in anything, even in winter even though Im quite dark.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #66 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:32am

rhino wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:08am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 11:49pm:

why dont you just spend a little time in the sun? seems like a no brainer to me. Im not deficient in anything, even in winter even though Im quite dark.

My life would be so much more healthier if I cut out most sugar (if not, all), lowered my fat intake, no caffeine in the hours before bed, ate more fruits and vegetables, watched less television and used the internet less, and got plenty of regular exercise. But I don't do these things because I got addicted to being comfortable with food. It has only been lately that I have learned to enjoy being hungry for a prolonged time before eating.

To answer your question, I have an aversion to getting sunburned. If I spend an hour out in the sun during the winter, I have to go home to a shower that is usually hot... and not fun for sunburns. Winter sports carnival at primary school usually ended up with us all (sun-screened or not) getting sunburned.

I also have a fear of getting skin cancer. I have had probably 4 biopsies removing moles from my skin in the last 27 years. Unless they find a cure for skin cancer and/or know of a way to cure skin tags from the skin without surgery, you will find that I won't be spending a great deal of time in the sun.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:36am

You must be a red head. Poor bugger.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #68 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 2:00am

rhino wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 12:36am:
You must be a red head. Poor bugger.

Blond hair. Just a lot of moles over my body.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #69 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 4:36pm

Vitamin D is fat soluble.
That means that it is stored in your body for around 6 months
Vitamin D is also found in many foods
For the vast majority of people a Vitamin D supplement is not needed

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #70 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 4:54pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 7th, 2018 at 4:36pm:
Vitamin D is fat soluble.
That means that it is stored in your body for around 6 months

No, the half-life of Vit D varies.

Its 6 weeks for VIt D obtained from UV exposure. But less for supplements.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #71 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 6:17pm

Yep, but they are supplements Rhino..... D etc are of course Vitamins and many work in conjunction...  eg D and Calcium etc good for bones...  no?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #72 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 6:36pm

I bought 5 bottles of PhysiCal (on special for $1.75 each 2L). After getting through a bottle each of the milk (even with coffee) I feel stronger. I would not waste $20 on vitamin D tablets if they did not work.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 6:46pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 8th, 2018 at 6:36pm:
I bought 5 bottles of PhysiCal (on special for $1.75 each 2L). After getting through a bottle each of the milk (even with coffee) I feel stronger. I would not waste $20 on vitamin D tablets if they did not work.

"work"?

Can you explain how they work?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Aug 8th, 2018 at 10:16pm

People who suffer from Gastric Reflux and excessive stomach acid are prescribed medications that minimises the acid....  this can lead to food that is not properly broken down even capsules and pills that will make it right through the system.  this of course also means that nutrients and vitamins from food are also not properly digested.

Supplements also help in this problem. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print