Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
We dont need vitamin supplements (Read 16387 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: We dont need vitamin supplements
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 1:18pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:49am:
The topic says we don't need vitamin supplements.

But some of us do.

If you are a shift worker and do rotating shifts 24x7 it is very likely you are vitamin D deficient.  Especially if you've done it for a long time, 12 hour shifts may mean you never see the Sun for any length of time.

Water soluble vitamins cannot be stored in the body and we "pee" them away.  These need constant replenishment.

There is no guarantee that anyone eats a balanced enough diet to ensure all required vitamins are supplied to the body in the required quantities.  Supplementation helps this to be achieved.

We don't need vitamin supplements if we eat a healthy, balanced diet.

It's that simple.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm

Run away TROLL and stop crossing out real facts people write moron.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:32pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Some people actually do need supplements.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:32pm

But some of us do.

If you are a shift worker and do rotating shifts 24x7 it is very likely you are vitamin D deficient.  Especially if you've done it for a long time, 12 hour shifts may mean you never see the Sun for any length of time.

Water soluble vitamins cannot be stored in the body and we "pee" them away.  These need constant replenishment.

There is no guarantee that anyone eats a balanced enough diet to ensure all required vitamins are supplied to the body in the required quantities.  Supplementation helps this to be achieved.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:35pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 2:35pm:
Beer - Breakfast of Champions!  Full of good things...

Seems like the only way to cure a hangover quickly is drink more alcohol. Then you sober up over the day.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:36pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 12:03pm:

But some of us do.

Maybe you should read the opening post again. It is in fact VERY EASY to get all the vitamins you need from food.

Maybe you should change your topic title?
But hey, what I've written is totally correct.

Oh and BTW I think you will find you need to eat an inordinate amount of some foodstuffs to even get your daily allowance of some vitamins.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #21 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:38pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:32pm:

But some of us do.

Binky is right- some of us need vitamins- we don't store vit C and magnesium etc- there are quite a few very important vits we need that we don't store and we cant always get the complete dietary requirements through diet for all kinds of reasons- busy lifestyle etc
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:48pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:56pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
Some people actually do need supplements.

I had to take spirulina tablets nearly every day. I then cut back my dosage of tablets when I got better to about a couple every work day (once every 4 days). The problem is that I went somewhat constipated from the dehydrating nature of the tablets. But that was quickly remedied by mixing my diluted fruit juice with chia seeds. So, I had a double dose of health combining for a good detox.

Some guy at a nutrition shop told me not to take multivitamin tablets. Said that multivitamin tablets are so packet tightly inside capsules that you are more likely to excrete most of the capsule before you are likely to get any benefit from them.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:58pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
Every day, consumers are bombarded with warnings about their vitamin levels.

But the surprising truth, experts say, is it's very difficult to not get enough vitamins from your diet.

Vitamins make up just 13 of the thousands of chemicals and compounds in food. For good health, the message from experts is simple: stop worrying about them.

“People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,” says Professor Amanda Lee, who chaired the group of experts who wrote Australia’s dietary guidelines and is now based at the Australian Prevention Partnership Centre.

Half a glass of orange juice contains all the vitamin C you need. Eat two eggs for breakfast and a single carrot for dinner and you’ve just knocked over A and B12 as well.

“You really don’t need to eat much,” says Dr Yasmine Probst, a nutritionist at the University of Wollongong.

What about Vitamin D, which only comes from sunlight? In fact, our bodies can store it for up to six months, meaning we usually have plenty all through the winter.

That said, studies do suggest almost a quarter of Australians may have levels of vitamin D below recommended guidelines.

But, says Professor Lee, it’s possible recommended levels are way too high – and it’s not clear 'deficiency' is harmful.

Dr Probst put together a plate of food containing everything you’d need to get 100 per cent of every vitamin for investigative documentary Vitamania, which premieres this week at National Science Week.

There wasn’t much on the plate.

A handful of pecans, a tub of yoghurt, half an apple, a single carrot, a small portion of brown rice, a small amount of spinach, a serve of fresh salmon and a mango.

Eight items containing all the vitamins you need for an entire day.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/stop-worrying-about-vitamins-you-can-get-all-...

Of course the billion dollar vitamin supplements industry would have you believe differently

That's crap.
I had a blood test many years ago.
It found that my vitamin D level was only 10% of what it should be.
I was told to take one vitamin D tablet every day - & I have ever since.
On my last blood test - my Vitamin D level was normal.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 4:12pm

You can live in a region that gets 300 cloud-free days a year, work during the day, and not get out in the sun very much. I have such an intolerance to getting sunburnt that I only go out to mow the lawn in the late hours before sunset. I might start mowing the lawn at 4pm. Start with the backyard and then make my way around 15 minutes later to the front. By then, the sun is at such a low angle that I don't stand much chance of getting sunburned at that time of day. Other than that, I would stay mainly indoors. I used to work lunch times as a delivery driver back in my late teens/early 20s. Driving around with 2L of frozen water was never enough. I would end the day exhausted and dehydrated. You would not see me do anything during the night.

I take vitamin D tablets every year (one container a year). Right now, I take K2D3 tablets. The vitamin K2, allegedly, unclogs the arteries and redeposits the calcium to where it is needed. The vitamin D3 does the muscle building and whatever else. Supposedly, I am reaping the benefits of this $20 bottle.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #25 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 4:19pm

My diagnosis Bobby:

1. People have been keeping you in dark places and overdosing you with BS; and

2. Your cranium thickness increases are burning up too much of your vitamin D.

Get out in the light for 20-25 minutes a day while your right-wing extremist owners are pissed out of their tiny minds.

Quote:
Sunlight
Sunlight spurs the body to make vitamin D. But because of the skin-cancer risk, there isn't an official recommendation to catch some rays. However, a small amount of sun exposure without sunscreen can do the trick.

"If you're going to get it from the sun, about 20 to 25 minutes of exposure is helpful," says Stephen Honig, MD, director of the Osteoporosis Center at the Hospital for Joint Diseases, in New York City.

The sun is less likely to provide your daily needs at higher latitudes, in the winter, or if you're older or dark skinned (skin pigment blocks light and the process is less efficient with age). And FYI: Light through a window won't work.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 4th, 2018 at 1:51pm:
Every day, consumers are bombarded with warnings about their vitamin levels.

But the surprising truth, experts say, is it's very difficult to not get enough vitamins from your diet.

Vitamins make up just 13 of the thousands of chemicals and compounds in food. For good health, the message from experts is simple: stop worrying about them.

“People needn’t worry about vitamins in general,” says Professor Amanda Lee, who chaired the group of experts who wrote Australia’s dietary guidelines and is now based at the Australian Prevention Partnership Centre.

Half a glass of orange juice contains all the vitamin C you need. Eat two eggs for breakfast and a single carrot for dinner and you’ve just knocked over A and B12 as well.

“You really don’t need to eat much,” says Dr Yasmine Probst, a nutritionist at the University of Wollongong.

What about Vitamin D, which only comes from sunlight? In fact, our bodies can store it for up to six months, meaning we usually have plenty all through the winter.

That said, studies do suggest almost a quarter of Australians may have levels of vitamin D below recommended guidelines.

But, says Professor Lee, it’s possible recommended levels are way too high – and it’s not clear 'deficiency' is harmful.

Dr Probst put together a plate of food containing everything you’d need to get 100 per cent of every vitamin for investigative documentary Vitamania, which premieres this week at National Science Week.

There wasn’t much on the plate.

A handful of pecans, a tub of yoghurt, half an apple, a single carrot, a small portion of brown rice, a small amount of spinach, a serve of fresh salmon and a mango.

Eight items containing all the vitamins you need for an entire day.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/stop-worrying-about-vitamins-you-can-get-all-...

Of course the billion dollar vitamin supplements industry would have you believe differently

That's crap.
I had a blood test many years ago.
It found that my vitamin D level was only 10% of what it should be.
I was told to take one vitamin D tablet every day - & I have ever since.
On my last blood test - my Vitamin D level was normal.

Normal according to whom?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 4:39pm

Grendel wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm:
Run away TROLL and stop crossing out real facts people write moron.

It's that simple.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 2:44am

Had my first healthy meal in about 2 days. I think it was Friday night when I last ate well. Saturday night was very much McDonalds and colas. This afternoon, I had a sandwich, and apple, and water. That was okay. But I needed to have some vegetables with turmeric, ginger, and onion flakes boiled in.

We definitely don't need vitamins if we have a good diet. I get criticised for the supplements and vitamins that I have now.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #29 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 6:19am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 5th, 2018 at 1:18pm:

But some of us do.

It's that simple.

If it were that "simple" , greggerypeccary - to access a "healthy, balanced diet" - we wouldn't be looking down the barrel of these figures

% Overweight/obese by state/territory

South Australia
65.8%

Western Australia
60.3%

Queensland
63.6%

Tasmania
67.5%

Australian Capital Territory
63.5%

Northern Territory
64.3%

New South Wales
63.2%

Victoria
63.3%

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/about-us/what-we-do/heart-disease-in-australi...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print