Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Airforce designations are outdated... (Read 1643 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Airforce designations are outdated...
Aug 1st, 2018 at 7:23pm

Our currently airforce designations (ranks) are outdated and no longer reflect a modern Airforce. An Intelligence Officer has the rank of Flight Lieutenant, or Group Captain even though they don't fly any planes.

I think that we should change the designations to the Army designations as they have in the US and in Canada.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: Airforce designations are outdated...
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 5:52pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 1st, 2018 at 7:23pm:
Our currently airforce designations (ranks) are outdated and no longer reflect a modern Airforce. An Intelligence Officer has the rank of Flight Lieutenant, or Group Captain even though they don't fly any planes.

I think that we should change the designations to the Army designations as they have in the US and in Canada.

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  You'll be upsetting a lot of RAAFies with that sort o' talk, young fella, me lad.

American ranks are confusing.  You don't know if you're talking to a Brylcreme Boy, a Navy Lad or an Army soldier.   Then you have the US addition of all the qualifications they supposedly hold, "E1 thru to E5 or O1 thru to O5".   Most confusing.

The RAAFies like to be different, they like to have unique ranks.  Leave 'em alone.  They need 'em when they are talking about the Cable in the Motel...  Wink

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:30pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 5:52pm:

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  You'll be upsetting a lot of RAAFies with that sort o' talk, young fella, me lad.

American ranks are confusing.  You don't know if you're talking to a Brylcreme Boy, a Navy Lad or an Army soldier.   Then you have the US addition of all the qualifications they supposedly hold, "E1 thru to E5 or O1 thru to O5".   Most confusing.

The RAAFies like to be different, they like to have unique ranks.  Leave 'em alone.  They need 'em when they are talking about the Cable in the Motel...  Wink

Nah, it's not that hard, Brian. 'I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill of the Australian Airforce." Sounds better than 'Squadron Leader Jack O'Neill'. "Oh, so you fly, do you?" "Nah, I'm a Airbase Defence Officer."

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2018 at 8:35pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:30pm:

Nah, it's not that hard, Brian. 'I'm Colonel Jack O'Neill of the Australian Airforce." Sounds better than 'Squadron Leader Jack O'Neill'. "Oh, so you fly, do you?" "Nah, I'm a Airbase Defence Officer."

Pot Plants?   Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  I thought they were just green and stood in the corner of the Mess.   Tsk, tsk, next you'll be tellin' me, boy that they are allowed to carry loaded weapons.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:21am

Just because USA did it doesn't sound like a good reason to me
Do u also want the navy to have army names too ?
I suppose they all should have the same uniform too, save costs on uniforms, if only one is made.
Then with the same reasoning why have 3 separate forces just have one.. maybe Australian defence....... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:16am

Maybe we should follow americas lead and make a space force along with appropriate rankings

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:16pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 7:21am:
I suppose they all should have the same uniform too, save costs on uniforms, if only one is made.
Then with the same reasoning why have 3 separate forces just have one.. maybe Australian defence....... Wink

Tried that in Canada.  Didn't work out all that well.  They have gone back to three seperate services - Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Canadian Air Force.   All three hated being combined.   There was more to military service than just man-management.  Seems Air Force officers needed to know how to steer a ship when they were assigned to command Naval ships and Navy officers needs to know how to steer a tank when assigned to the Army...

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 3:17pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:16am:
Maybe we should follow americas lead and make a space force along with appropriate rankings

Spot

The establishment of a space agency is a good first step.

Who has seen "Iron Sky"?   Wink

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 6:23pm

That wasn't my argument. My argument was that the designations no longer represent the expanding services of the Airforce.

For example, do you think that it's logical that a cook on an Airbase be referred to a 'Flight Lieutenant Bob'??? or 'Wing Commander Bob'?

Of what Wing are you in command, sir???

The Kitchen Wing

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:58am

Auggie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 6:23pm:

That wasn't my argument. My argument was that the designations no longer represent the expanding services of the Airforce.

For example, do you think that it's logical that a cook on an Airbase be referred to a 'Flight Lieutenant Bob'??? or 'Wing Commander Bob'?

The Kitchen Wing

Huh Huh Huh

well u actually did say u wanted the ranks to be the same as the army.
The expanding sevices of the RAAF ? From day one there have been non flying officers...............
I see your point of a store officer being called a pilot officer.... But changing to army ranks I don't think is the answer.
When u call every officer SIR I don't think the average RAAFian really cares or gets confused. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:53pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:58am:
Auggie wrote on Aug 6th, 2018 at 6:23pm:

The Kitchen Wing

Huh Huh Huh

well u actually did say u wanted the ranks to be the same as the army.
The expanding sevices of the RAAF ? From day one there have been non flying officers...............
I see your point of a store officer being called a pilot officer.... But changing to army ranks I don't think is the answer.
When u call every officer SIR I don't think the average RAAFian really cares or gets confused. Wink

Ah, but as we used to say in the Army, "How do you spell that?  "S-i-r" or "C-u-r"?"  Wink Wink

IP Logged

stokerjim
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 4:54pm

For some reason, Navy have adopted the Ox to Ox designators rather than using actual rank.  Hasn't filtered down to Sailor level yet (E1 and up) but no doubt that will come

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:03pm

What about "Brain-dead Bombardier" as a classification?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2018 at 11:16pm

Unforgiven wrote on Aug 18th, 2018 at 5:03pm:
What about "Brain-dead Bombardier" as a classification?

Do you mean a Corporal of the Artillery Corps or the Brylcreme lad who lies down in the front of a larger aircraft?   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print