Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Allah says the earth is flat (Read 8365 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Allah says the earth is flat
Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:42pm

Muslims claim the Quran is the words of Allah therefore Allah is an idiot who thinks the earth is flat.

Islamic source with tafsir saying earth is flat

https://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=79&tAyahNo=30&tD...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Allah says the earth is flat
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:26am

One of the methods used to gain control of populations since time immemorial, is to convince them that you know something they don't. The reality is that people are easy prey to charlatans, witch-doctors, holy men, enlightenment-peddling cultists and used-car salesmen. In 350BC, Aristotle argued plausibly the world was a sphere.

Around 200 BC, ancient Greek mathematician Eratosthenes, using two positions of the sun over Egypt, measured the circumference of the globe accurate to about 50 miles, or 500 stadii. This knowledge was widely accepted throughout Greece and Arabia, but then along came the Abrahamic religionists with all their hokus pokus and secret ju-ju. They gained control of populations and the Dark Ages descended. Islam still has not recovered.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:51am

Are you suggesting the Abrahamic religionists caused the collapse of the Roman Empire?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:06am

issuevoter wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:26am:
One of the methods used to gain control of populations since time immemorial, is to convince them that you know something they don't. The reality is that people are easy prey to charlatans, witch-doctors, holy men, enlightenment-peddling cultists and used-car salesmen.

Like those peddling the idea, without providing a shred of proof, that the sun is in a Grand Solar Minimum which will cause an ice age.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:26am

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 8:51am:
Are you suggesting the Abrahamic religionists caused the collapse of the Roman Empire?

In a word, No.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:07pm

issuevoter wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:26am:

In a word, No.

What about the dark ages?

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm

Of course the earth's flat, a flying donkey could tell you that.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:39pm

In a word, No.

In a word, Well... ummm.... arh .... caused, it's such a fraught word, isn't it.  Would you believe, 'didn't help with the preservation of the Roman Empire'?
Do consider that Mehmet II actually conquered the last of the Roman Empire when he took Constatinople in 1453.

The pope is a Roman Empire relic, his title is pontifex maximus, ("pontiff") and has been since Rome adopted Christianity.

But of course Rome could not survive in any case but the Christians and the Muslims were instrumental in its demise, in its PARTICULAR demise. And the particular does matter, always.
In the case of Constantinople, it was a joint effort by Roman Catholics and Muslims - ecumenism for ya. (but at least the West has an inbuilt correction reflex and motivation that Islam doesn't). 
Had the Western Romans not devastate Constantinople in the 13th century, the Muslims would not have been able to take it in 1453. Had they not taken Constantinople, there wouldn't have been a siege of Belgrade (midday church bells remember us) and in the end no siege of Vienna in 1683, expelling the moors from Europe.

But the fall of Constantinople gave us a full-fledged Renaissance of ancient learning (the fleeing Greeks after the fall, rather than the Muslims gave us the texts of antiquity that spurred on the rebirth of ancient learning called re-naissance, re-birth), then the reformation and the rest that followed.

So Christianity and Islam did play a huge part in the destruction of Rome but Christianity then played a decisive part in rescuing what could be rescued - ideas, books, sensibilities - from antiquity. Islam is still on a warpath against all those ideas and sensibilities and shirks translating many of the books into their vernacular because they do not accord with the koran.

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:23pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:56pm

moses wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm:

1 in 4 Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth.   Funny that, hey, Moses?  Have they all been listening to that flying donkey or have they been reading their Bibles?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:13pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:56pm:

1 in 4 Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth.   Funny that, hey, Moses?  Have they all been listening to that flying donkey or have they been reading their Bibles?   Roll Eyes

So Muslims who believe the koran are as stupid as a quarter of Americans - and that's your great come-back of an argument, Bwian???

You are thicker than Turdie McTurdface (back, karnal, BACK) You are thick like the treacle buried in the tundran ice for millenia, Bwian.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:16pm

Frank wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:39pm:

In a word, No.

In a word, Well... ummm.... arh .... caused, it's such a fraught word, isn't it.  Would you believe, 'didn't help with the preservation of the Roman Empire'?
Do consider that Mehmet II actually conquered the last of the Roman Empire when he took Constatinople in 1453.

The pope is a Roman Empire relic, his title is pontifex maximus, ("pontiff") and has been since Rome adopted Christianity.

But of course Rome could not survive in any case but the Christians and the Muslims were instrumental in its demise, in it's PARTICULAR demise. And the particular does matter, always.
In the case of Constantinople, it was a joint effort by Roman Catholics and Muslims - ecumenism for ya. (but at least the West has an inbuilt correction reflex and motivation that Islam doesn't). 
Had the Western Romans not devastate Constantinople in the 13th century, the Muslims would not have been able to take it in 1453. Had they not taken Constantinople, there wouldn't have been a siege of Belgrade (midday church bells remember us) and in the end no siege of Vienna in 1683, expelling the moors from Europe.

But the fall of Constantinople gave us a full-fledged Renaissance of ancient learning (the fleeing Greeks after the fall, rather than the Muslims gave us the texts of antiquity that spurred on the rebirth of ancient learning called re-naissance, re-birth), then the reformation and the rest that followed.

So Christianity and Islam did play a huge part in the destruction of Rome but Christianity then played a decisive part in rescuing what could be rescued - ideas, books, sensibilities - from antiquity. Islam is still on a warpath against all those ideas and sensibilities and shirks translating many of the books into their vernacular because the do not accord with the koran.

I suppose I should have been a bit more specific. Consider this historical human development index:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/heavy-legacies-our-past.html#measuring

Living standards in the west (which at the time was the Roman Empire) started tanking about 2000 years ago. Well before Islam came on the scene, and before Christianity was in a position to exert much influence. A remnant of the Roman Empire lived on, but it was not really the same thing. This is really what defines or causes the dark ages. Without the Romans, there is nothing better to compare them to. The dark ages are just business as usual.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:26pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

In a word, No.

But of course Rome could not survive in any case but the Christians and the Muslims were instrumental in its demise, in it's PARTICULAR demise. And the particular does matter, always.

So Christianity and Islam did play a huge part in the destruction of Rome but Christianity then played a decisive part in rescuing what could be rescued - ideas, books, sensibilities - from antiquity. Islam is still on a warpath against all those ideas and sensibilities and shirks translating many of the books into their vernacular because the do not accord with the koran.

I suppose I should have been a bit more specific. Consider this historical human development index:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/images/why_the_west_rules_fig_3_7.png

Living standards in the west (which at the time was the Roman Empire) started tanking about 2000 years ago. Well before Islam came on the scene, and before Christianity was in a position to exert much influence. A remnant of the Roman Empire lived on, but it was not really the same thing. This is really what defines or causes the dark ages. Without the Romans, there is nothing better to compare them to. The dark ages are just business as usual.

Looks pretty meaningless to me.  A graph and some yammer. Not sure what you are saying.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:06pm

freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 12:07pm:

In a word, No.

What about the dark ages?

Again, No. They just appear to have been in the right place at the right time.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:23pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 6:56pm:

They probably don't believe in global warming either, but that does not forgive Islam for perpetuating superstition, ignorance, genital mutilation, and fatwas against non-muzlims for no other reason than they are not Muzlim. Do you actually give a God damn whether 88 Australians were killed by them in Bali? Here comes your relativist answer . . .

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:30pm

Frank wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:26pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

In a word, No.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/images/why_the_west_rules_fig_3_7.png

Looks pretty meaningless to me.  A graph and some yammer. Not sure what you are saying.

I am saying that the demise started around 2000 years ago, and had nothing to do with religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print