Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Honest politician found in Australia (Read 4557 times)
Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Honest politician found in Australia
Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:40am

That got ya going, didn't It?

Unfortunately, it's fake news

There is no such thing as an honest politician anywhere.

Especially Australia

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Honest politician found in Australia
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:20am

Valkie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:40am:

Especially Australia

Wrong -  Derryn Hinch.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:30am

Yeah, right.😉

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:40am

Any slightly honest pollies are weeded out before they get anywhere.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:00am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 9:40am:
Any slightly honest pollies are weeded out before they get anywhere.

Spot

And if one with good intentions happens to get through he or she is quickly shackled and shown the boundaries.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:36am

dont over judge    we have a lot of Fed Politicians who are all doing a hard days work....we just dont hear about them often....

we seem to have our share of   people who lets us down and the country as a whole....

like you I am over it   maybe the penalties for their missdeeds should be higher   than just walking away..

after all they are in a position of TRUST  and some trash it...it costs a fortune to replace these guys...and they just seem to walk away  and their life carries on as if nothing happened....

look at Daystari  there has even been talk of him coming back... seriously hes almost a HERO...I am sick of it..we can hardly call it treason

but to just walk away   

has got to stop..

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:19am

Coincidently a lot of them are lawyers.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:38am

Johnnie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 11:19am:
Coincidently a lot of them are lawyers.

not wrong... and they know all the ins and outs of fraud dont they????.....I think the pot makes them greedy...   look how many use their position in Govt after they leave or are sacked??>...

we forget when they do not get re elected they are in fact SACKED....  yet we seem to reward them....with gold passes.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

we should all live like that.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm

I am surprised.  Indeed, I could say shocked.  None of the PHONy supporters have claimed that Pauline is honest.  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  What does that suggest about the red haired politician?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:10pm:
I am surprised.  Indeed, I could say shocked.  None of the PHONy supporters have claimed that Pauline is honest.  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  What does that suggest about the red haired politician?    Roll Eyes

Your quite right, Pauline is the most open and honest politician we have seen for a considerable amount of time.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:38pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:10pm:

Your quite right, Pauline is the most open and honest politician we have seen for a considerable amount of time.

No prizes for second, mate.  Keep trying, you might catch on, once you've worked out the rules.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:44pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:38pm:

No prizes for second, mate.  Keep trying, you might catch on, once you've worked out the rules.    Roll Eyes

You only judge a politicians character when you oppose their politics.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:53pm

What rules! Go ahead, make my day,, you name a more open and honest politician.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:47pm

At least Peter Dutton is not in the eighth circle of hell with all the panderers and seducers.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 5:20pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 4:47pm:
At least Peter Dutton is not in the eighth circle of hell with all the panderers and seducers.

A good man

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:26pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:44pm:

Really, Hammer?  I judge politicians and people on their performance, both those I support and those I oppose.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:30pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 3:53pm:

What rules! Go ahead, make my day,, you name a more open and honest politician.

I think Pauline's inability to recognise her own ignorance is a major problem to her being "honest and open".   That she seems to be easily influenced by her latest Sven Ghalli figure is another.    Roll Eyes

That you appear to prefer an ignorant politician over a knowledgeable one suggests what about your personality?  Mmmm?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #17 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 7:00pm

Here is a simple question.

Pollies earn around $200,000.00 a year.
Now I know people on more than that, and for nearly 15 years I earned close to that.

How is it that pollies always retire multimillionaires earning such a modest sum?
I certainly don't have millions in the bank.
Others I know on that sort of money have nowhere near millions in the bank.

So.
Where do pollies get the cash?
Bribes?
Special deals?
Insider trading?
All of the above?

And many retire as executives of businesses they have dealt with.
Why?

Then there are lobbyist
Using their influence to broker bribes with pollies on behalf of businesses and multinationals.

There are NO HONEST POLITICIANS..........FULL STOP

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 6:52am

When and if they find this honest politician one thing you can be sure of....... it won't be a lib. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #19 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 6:54am

macman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 6:52am:
When and if they find this honest politician one thing you can be sure of....... it won't be a lib. Grin Grin Grin Grin

That my friend is correct

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:29am

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:26pm:

Really, Hammer?  I judge politicians and people on their performance, both those I support and those I oppose.    Roll Eyes

we all do Brian   how do you tell an honest pollie until he/she becomes one.....

thats the conundrum...its impossible right????>..

over all I dont think we do too bad....

its stoopid to condemn someone for an honest mistake   because we all make them...and lefties tend to only condemn Liberal ones.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

mind you if I was a leftie  I would want to forget Labors  record as well... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 11:56am

Valkie wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 8:40am:

Especially Australia

Well, there you go Donald is correct, it's ALL FAKE NEWS?

That said, I agree, finding an honest Politician anywhere, is likely to be A VERY TAXING AFFAIR!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 5:19pm

cods wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:29am:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 6:26pm:

we all do Brian   how do you tell an honest pollie until he/she becomes one.....

thats the conundrum...its impossible right????>..

over all I dont think we do too bad....

its stoopid to condemn someone for an honest mistake   because we all make them...and lefties tend to only condemn Liberal ones.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

mind you if I was a leftie  I would want to forget Labors  record as well... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Both sides of politics has made mistakes, Cods.  Liberal and Labor.   However, both sides like to pin their mistakes on individuals and forget about them, rather than examine the systemic problems that allowed those mistakes to be fostered and implemented.

Then, we have unfortunatly all too often allowed lies to be created in the media and consumed by the public until they become truths.  Julia Gilliard is one such example.  She is, according to the Liberals and their supporters, the "red haired witch" who misgoverned Australia into ruin.   That of course is a sexist insult and completely untrue.  In reality she was one of our most successful Prime Ministers.  Not one piece of legislation she proposed was defeated in Parliament.   Not one policy, was abandoned during her term.  She was a consummate negotiator and an able politician.   She out maneuvered her political opponents at every turn.   I didn't like her but I have given an honest appraisal of her performance.  Much better than Tony Abbott's or Rupert Murdoch's view of her.  Guess which view the public believed?

Another able politician was John Howard.   He out maneuvered his opponents, invented "dog whistle politics" and changed Australia significantly.   He brought the budget into the black and provided massive savings for the Commonwealth.  His abilities to manipulate the political debate were often breathtaking.   I admired him, even if I disagreed with his policies.  The Australian public loved him, until it grew tired of him.  As I remarked Tim Fischer over a dinner we both attended, it was obvious that he should have resigned 12 months before his final election.  He was on a high.  He could have gone out with kudos.   However, he didn't and so was defeated.

It is usually easier to make such judgements in retrospect, I am quite willing to admit.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:52pm

'Julia Gillard was one of our most successful Prime Ministers'. She governed one minority government, and even that was on the 'no carbon tax' lie. Hundreds of asylum seekers drowned during her watch. The detention centres filled up with men, women AND children. She wasted billions of dollars on green schemes and over priced school halls. She shouldnt even have been eligible to sit given her Slater and Gordon fraud. Then again, that's probably just my bias.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #24 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:10pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 8:52pm:
'Julia Gillard was one of our most successful Prime Ministers'. She governed one minority government, and even that was on the 'no carbon tax' lie. Hundreds of asylum seekers drowned during her watch. The detention centres filled up with men, women AND children. She wasted billions of dollars on green schemes and over priced school halls. She shouldnt even have been eligible to sit given her Slater and Gordon fraud. Then again, that's probably just my bias.

All policies which predated her ascension to the PM's office, Hammer.   Tsk, tsk, get your history correct.   I know it's hard for you to do a Google search but, hey, at least try for a change.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm

Way to white wash history, Bwi, Bwi. Just overlook the failings that occurred during her tenure on the premise that they were orchestrated by Rudd. Convenient.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:10pm:

All policies which predated her ascension to the PM's office, Hammer.   Tsk, tsk, get your history correct.   I know it's hard for you to do a Google search but, hey, at least try for a change.   Roll Eyes

She kept them when she could have changed them, brick.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:21pm

Shh, Frank. Don't confuse him.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #28 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:27pm

Frank wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:

She kept them because most of them actually worked rather well, Soren.

Tell me, have you invested heavily in coal?  Afterall, that was the only real industry under threat during Gilliard's tenue.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:30pm

China and India have. I'm sure our reduction in coal usage will make all the difference.
Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #30 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:30pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:
Way to white wash history, Bwi, Bwi. Just overlook the failings that occurred during her tenure on the premise that they were orchestrated by Rudd. Convenient.

So, you agree that those policies predated Gilliard's ascension to power, Hammer?  Is that an admission of a mistake on your part?  How unusual!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:32pm

Frank wrote on Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:19pm:

X2

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 9:47pm

Mark Latham turned honest

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #33 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 10:48pm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:58am

cods wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:36am:
dont over judge    we have a lot of Fed Politicians who are all doing a hard days work....we just dont hear about them often....

we seem to have our share of   people who lets us down and the country as a whole....

like you I am over it   maybe the penalties for their missdeeds should be higher   than just walking away..

after all they are in a position of TRUST  and some trash it...it costs a fortune to replace these guys...and they just seem to walk away  and their life carries on as if nothing happened....

look at Daystari  there has even been talk of him coming back... seriously hes almost a HERO...I am sick of it..we can hardly call it treason

but to just walk away   

has got to stop..

I don't think it helps either, at the federal level at least, when the public seems so fickle when it comes to the performance of the party in government and the senior ministers are quick to change leaders because of the polls and public sentiment. This is part of the reason why we've gone through four prime ministers in the last 10 years. I'm at a point where I don't care which side is in power, all I want to see is some stability so that the party in power can put in place policies that will be of some benefit to the future of the country.

Nor do I care if a politician "flip flops". If you've got a new set of data that contradicts the position you currently hold then you should be allowed to change your mind, just don't do it so often that it makes you look indecisive or lacking principles.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #35 - Jul 24th, 2018 at 10:19am

minarchist wrote on Jul 24th, 2018 at 9:58am:
cods wrote on Jul 22nd, 2018 at 10:36am:

but to just walk away   

has got to stop..

I don't think it helps either, at the federal level at least, when the public seems so fickle when it comes to the performance of the party in government and the senior ministers are quick to change leaders because of the polls and public sentiment. This is part of the reason why we've gone through four prime ministers in the last 10 years. I'm at a point where I don't care which side is in power, all I want to see is some stability so that the party in power can put in place policies that will be of some benefit to the future of the country.

Nor do I care if a politician "flip flops". If you've got a new set of data that contradicts the position you currently hold then you should be allowed to change your mind, just don't do it so often that it makes you look indecisive or lacking principles.

Fine as long as that's what they do and not the opposite..... and that seems to be the rub... simply 'allowing the majority party to govern' is not sufficient reason to abandon your rights as a citizen to oust non or negative performers.... and any whose policies are detrimental to you and many others....

There is zero guarantee that any 'stable' party here will set in place policy thrusts for the best benefit of the nation.... ZERO!  More likely the opposite.....

Oh - and 'flip-flopping' under the conditions you cite is fair enough - but the Hanson style of saying one thing then doing another is nowhere in the same league of honest change due to changes in data etc - just inability to stand up on principle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print