Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stop The Adani Polluting Coal Mine (Read 804 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Stop The Adani Polluting Coal Mine
Jul 20th, 2018 at 8:25am

Adani bosses confident they’ll secure the money needed for their rail project

news.com.au July 18, 2018

Adani set to secure rail link for mega coal mine

IT’S the multi-billion dollar project that’s divided millions of Australians, caused nationwide protests and landed dozens of people in jail.   Sad

But the bosses behind Adani claim they’re in the final stages of getting the controversial mine up and running.

Karan Adani, the son of the company’s owner, said the Indian conglomerate was on the verge of locking in the money it needed to finance a rail line that would service its $16.5 billion mine.

Mr Adani, the CEO of the company’s port business, claims it will be ready to start as soon as the loan for the rail project comes in.

“We have completed the financing of the mine, the port is already operational. Now we are just closing on the financing on the rail part,” he told The Economic Times of India. “So once that is done we will start.”

However, Adani Australia later released a clarifying statement saying it continued to work to secure financing for the Carmichael project.

“Finance for the mine is contingent on securing finance for the rail component of the project as both are interdependent,” the statement said.

In the interview, Mr Adani stressed the company had all the necessary government and environmental approvals it needed to get the Carmichael coal mine, in the Galilee Basin in central Queensland, up and running.

The rail financing for the project was “almost $US1 billion”, he said. The rail line is needed to move coal from the mine to Abbot Point port, which is being expanded.

There had been questions over the rail financing after Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk last year vetoed a $1 billion federal government loan to Adani for the project.

Previously, Australia’s Big Four banks refused to put up money for the mine, forcing the company to look for funding overseas.

Federal Labor’s environment spokesman Mark Butler, who opposes the mine, was sceptical of claims Adani would soon have the $1 billion required for the rail line.

“If I had a dollar for every front page where Adani said it had finance for this new coal mine I’d be a very rich man. Frankly, I’ll believe it when I see it,” Mr Butler told Sky News on Wednesday.

“My view about this project has been clear for some time. I don’t think it stacks up. I don’t think it is in the national interest.”   Sad

The state Labor government has imposed more than 240 conditions on the Carmichael coal mine project, 132 of which relate to water conditions.

A month ago, the government also insisted Adani find the source of local groundwater before it signs off on the water management plan for the mine.

The Australian Conservation Foundation said the Carmichael mine would damage the Great Barrier Reef, threaten wildlife and the groundwater supply, and “turbo charge” climate change.

“This is not a project that represents the best interests of the community and the natural world we rely on,” foundation chief Kelly O’Shanassy said in his statement.   

“Now, more than ever, we need a commitment from all political parties that they will stop this polluting coal mine before it wrecks our safe climate and natural world.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Stop The Adani Polluting Coal Mine
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2018 at 2:46pm

Oh no BlackDay bungs on the 20th duplicate of this waste of space topic with more Greeny propaganda.

Qld wants ADANI to proceed as it will create lots of jobs in job starved Nth Qld and will earn heaps of luverly export dollars for cash starved Qld.

But BlackDay stubbornly keeps on parroting the GetUp! Greeny propaganda. BlackDay seems to exist in some sort of alternate universe devoid of reality - typical Greeny type.

Have a squiz at the Greeny trash on the GetUp! wong dong site.

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/great-barrier-reef--3/stop-adani/stop-adani-s...

Of course ADANI will get the finance and the govt will help with the essential multi use railway line as those export dollars are too good to resist.

And ADANI clean coal might supply the new HELE Coal generator planned for Nth Qld.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 6:49am

Did someone say clean coal?.   Smiley

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 9:25am

Sea Shepherd continues anti-Adani voyage   Smiley

Australian Associated Press 21 July 2018

The Sea Shepherd's flagship vessel has made a temporary stop in Sydney Harbour as it travels up the east coast of Australia protesting against Adani's controversial $16.5 billion mega-mine.

The M/Y Steve Irwin will be docked at Circular Quay this weekend before it continues its three-week voyage to Queensland's Abbot Point coal terminal.

"We will sail and rally with the Stop Adani Alliance, the community, businesses, tourism sectors, media, and politicians to make our position clear that Australia will not trade the Great Barrier Reef for one of the world's most destructive coal mines," Sea Shepherd Australia managing director Jeff Hansen said in a media release.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 9:29am

Thank heavens for the good people of the Sea Shepherd. Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:12pm

If Adani gets the money, NO-ONE will stand in the way of that mine coming to fruition unless they want political oblivion in Queensland.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:06pm

Adani protest to cruise into Mackay   Smiley

23rd Jul 2018
Daily Murcury

A SEA Shepherd vessel will make port in Mackay in the next two weeks as the boat makes its away up the east coast as part of a protest against the proposed Adani Carmichael coal mine.   Smiley

The Steve Irwin vessel, which is known for proactive efforts to stop illegal whaling by taking on Japanese poachers, is travelling the coast as part of Operation Reef Defence.

This 'operation' opposes the controversial Adani mine and associated projects on the merits of conserving the Great Barrier Reef.

Sea Shepherd has made their position on the project public releasing statements condemning the project.

"Our position will be made clear - Australia will not trade the Great Barrier Reef with one of the world's biggest and most destructive coal mines,” the group said.

The group believes the Adani coal mine will damage, if not destroy the reef and bring an extra 500 coal carrying ships through the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area each year.

"Development of the proposed Carmichael Adani coal mine, rail link and coal port would require a massive dredging program, right through the heart of the reef,” they claim.

After visiting Coffs Harbour the ship will stop in Byron Bay, the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Noosa Heads, Yeppoon and Mackay (August 5) and then arrive at Abbot Point on August 8.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:18pm

They are pissing into the wind.  It is political suicide for any politician to stand in the way of that mine, and Sea Shepherd would better spend whatever money they have on something they can stop.

Adani is simple financial necessity for this State.

I am not saying that the GRB is acceptable collateral damage....but even though I have done the usual tourist thing several times, all I have ever seen is totally colourless apparently already stuffed coral.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2018 at 4:20pm

Poor old BlackDay is struggling to try to wriggle out of his embarrassment at being sprung making pointless meaningless waste of space thread duplicates. Because he is so inarticulate all he can do is parrot GetUp! lying propaganda.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print