Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Now Come On Japan, Stop Your Whaling (Read 1148 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Now Come On Japan, Stop Your Whaling
Jul 12th, 2018 at 4:28pm

Japan wants to restructure IWC to make it easier for it to start commercial whaling again
By North Asia Correspondent Jake Sturmer in Tokyo
ABC News
July 12 2019

Japan is hoping to make it easier to resume commercial whaling, submitting a proposal to fundamentally restructure the International Whaling Commission (IWC).   Sad

The Japan Fisheries Agency told the ABC it was hoping to get the IWC's moratorium on commercial whaling lifted at the Commission's biennial meeting in September.

"We think the IWC should revise the zero-catch of whales," the agency's Yuki Morimoto said.

"Japan is proposing that it should allow catching some species which are abundant and approved by the scientific committee."

As of June, 40 of the 88 IWC members supported whaling while 48 opposed it, according to Japan's Fisheries Agency.
Staff members of Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry prepare for whale meat tasting during a promotion at a restaurant.

But the IWC has been mired in deadlock, so Japan wants to shift the decision-making process from requiring a three-quarter majority, to just a simple majority of 50 per cent plus one.

"We're saying let's change the IWC's decision making rules. The reason is at the moment pro-whaling countries and anti-whaling countries are in confrontation and the deadlock is continuing," Mr Morimoto said.

"At the last IWC meeting in 2016, Japan raised the issue: can we go on like this?

"Until now, Japan only proposed resuming commercial whaling and it was a proposal from one side. This time we are also taking consideration of the anti-whaling countries so they can do what they want to do."

Mr Morimoto said Japan wanted to coexist with anti-whaling countries, and Japan in theory could approve things in their interest, such as expanding whale sanctuaries.

Japan has long maintained that many whale species were not endangered and that whaling was an important part of its food heritage.

Towns have centuries-old whaling traditions, and attempts to stop this are seen as a threat to Japanese culture.

Fisheries ministers have previously compared eating whale meat to eating kangaroo in Australia.

A year ago, Japan passed a law enshrining the practice of whaling. It is now considering upgrading its fleet of vessels in a step toward returning to the controversial commercial practice.
Anti-whaling protesters gather outside the Japanese consulate in Melbourne
Photo: Japan wants to end the International Whaling Commission's ban on whaling, despite heavy opposition from anti-whaling groups.

A ban on commercial whaling by the IWC came into force in 1986, with Japan commencing its program of scientific whaling a year later.Japan wants to restructure IWC to make it easier for it to start commercial whaling again   Sad

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Now Come On Japan, Stop Your Whaling
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:01pm

If they are whaling Minke whales, then I don't have a problem with them doing that. However, they should be making a strong concerted effort to help save the critically endangered whales.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 12:30pm

Sounds good to me. After all, that was the original purpose of the IWC. Hence the name - International Whaling Commission.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:12pm

But, but, but

It's their kultcha, isn't It?

And don't we always bend over backwards for backward kultchas?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:16pm

Ours is the culture with the irrational taboo. The Japs are being very good-natured about it.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:41pm

Where is the result of years of their so called scientific work slaughtering whales in the name of science ? What have they discovered now ? Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:42pm

freediver wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:16pm:
Ours is the culture with the irrational taboo. The Japs are being very good-natured about it.

Part of their culture is telling lies to save face and they are very good at it when comes to whaling.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:19am

With what we are doing to the oceans the whales all going to die out anyway, may as well let the Japs have at it while they can.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:35am

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:41pm:
Where is the result of years of their so called scientific work slaughtering whales in the name of science ? What have they discovered now ? Cheesy LOL

Whales taste good to some?

Many years of research and study, accompanied by in-depth surveys and follow-up on active participants have shown without doubt that some people like eating whale meat....

The ends of knowledge have been served alongside platters of whale meat...

Please bear in mind this is a preliminary report and further study will be required on an indefinite basis in order to arrive at a conclusive and/or more reliable interpretation of data.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 12:37am

Valkie wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:12pm:
But, but, but

It's their kultcha, isn't It?

And don't we always bend over backwards for backward kultchas?

One Japanese Admiral said that he was sad that the Pearl Harbour strike didn't sink US submarines as a priority - they literally murdered Japan (his words).......

Might be a sort of Freudian revenge trip......   Huh

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2018 at 6:44pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 11:42pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 16th, 2018 at 7:16pm:

Part of their culture is telling lies to save face and they are very good at it when comes to whaling.

Are you conceding that it was arrogant of you to equate our recently acquired cultural taboo with some kind of cultural superiority?

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 9:14am

Tell em to come and get some humpbacks. They're like trafic islands out there at the moment.

If I was japan I would tell Australia to F off!

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 9:38am

I purchased a package of fresh whale meat in Japan and fried it with a bit of oil. Sure, I felt guilty but told myself the whale was already dead and someone else would have bought the meat anyway.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 6:46pm

I've heard it tastes like hippy.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 9:15pm

freediver wrote on Jul 18th, 2018 at 6:46pm:
I've heard it tastes like hippy.

It tastes like pussy.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print