Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Porter prosecutes Bernard Collaery??? (Read 534 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Porter prosecutes Bernard Collaery???
Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:10pm

Should the Government prosecute whistle blowers who reveal they are dealing corruptly with poorer Nations to favour companies that later reward the Minister???

edited....
Quote:
Mr Collaery, a former ACT attorney-general, is one of two Australians who face unprecedented charges for allegedly breaching the Intelligence Services Act, including conspiracy to share secret information.

It could see him face up two years in jail and the loss of his legal licence.

The other person charged is former senior ASIS officer Witness K.

It is claimed the pair revealed that Australia had bugged East Timor's government offices in 2004 to gain the upper hand in oil and gas negotiations.

The foreign minister back then was Alexander Downer. Several years after leaving parliament in 2008 he worked briefly as a consultant for Woodside.

So at the same time as Australia was providing millions of dollars in aid to help the fledgling nation of East Timor get on its feet, it's alleged to have been covertly acting to prevent the Timorese from getting billions of dollars in oil and gas revenues from the Timor Sea, with Australian company Woodside set to benefit the most.

Tasmanian MP Andrew Wilkie revealed the charges when he rose in the Parliament last month.

"There is no good reason why the government would be doing this right now except for political reasons and to punish people in an unwarranted way and to silence those who might follow them," Mr Wilkie told 7.30.

Attorney-General Christian Porter was then forced to acknowledge publicly he had consented to the prosecution.

Well done Andrew Wilkie!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-11/east-timor-bugging-prosecution-heartbreaki...

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Porter prosecutes Bernard Collaery???
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:47pm

This is one reason why I think Wilkie is the best of the current MPs in the Parliament. He is not beholden to any party and not afraid to stick to his principles.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 12:08am

Bam wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
This is one reason why I think Wilkie is the best of the current MPs in the Parliament. He is not beholden to any party and not afraid to stick to his principles.

I agree Bam....One wonders why Porter was so reluctant to reveal his dastardly conduct???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:17pm

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Attorney-General Christian Porter was then forced to acknowledge publicly he had consented to the prosecution.

"I received advice, as the usual course of these matters, from the Director of Public Prosecutions. That advice was to prosecute," he said last month.

"It was an independent decision made by the Director of Public Prosecutions based on their consideration of the evidence and
the law and their guidelines."

Some have described the prosecution as "vindictive", "vengeance" and "an act of bastardry".

"I've had enormous expressions of support from, interestingly, the defence and intelligence community. There's no doubt at all that there is a vast difference in opinion on this issue," Mr Collaery said.

maybe andrew needs to read the LAW.. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

opinions mean bugger all when it comes to the LAW....yep even andrews!

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:04pm

cods wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:49pm:

"I received advice, as the usual course of these matters, from the Director of Public Prosecutions. That advice was to prosecute," he said last month.

"It was an independent decision made by the Director of Public Prosecutions based on their consideration of the evidence and
the law and their guidelines."

Some have described the prosecution as "vindictive", "vengeance" and "an act of bastardry".

"I've had enormous expressions of support from, interestingly, the defence and intelligence community. There's no doubt at all that there is a vast difference in opinion on this issue," Mr Collaery said.

maybe andrew needs to read the LAW.. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

opinions mean bugger all when it comes to the LAW....yep even andrews!

... "and their guidelines".

What, pray tell, are these? Instructions to go after anyone who makes the Liberals look bad, perhaps?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:54pm

Not sure I have a proper grip on this yet....but I am leaning toward our Government being an arsehole.  I doubt this prosecution will end well for authority.

Link.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 8:36pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:54pm:
Not sure I have a proper grip on this yet....but I am leaning toward our Government being an arsehole.  I doubt this prosecution will end well for authority.

Link.

Yes Aussie....This sends a message to public servants that even if you know the Government is committing a crime you should keep your mouth shut....Christian Porter will get roasted over this malicious prosecution and hopefully those in the Howard Government who broke the law will be charged and prosecuted like they are doing to this fellow???

Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print