Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Correct version of Australia’s history (Read 27399 times)
TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Re: Correct version of Australia’s history
Reply #60 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:50pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:36am:
Setanta wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:31pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:28pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
Quote:
This does not mean however that they were backward. The indigenous peoples were able to live in the same way for more than 40 thousand years continuously. This is an achievement itself

And you accuse Pascoe of embellishing.

So, when will mothra and JS be unbanned or at least you summon up the manhood to tell them the reason for the ban?

Oh, piss off.

Moderators, address this language immediately.

Moderators don't have to explain themselves to dumb feminist idiots!  Cheesy

Dumb feminist idiots wouldn't even explain themselves to their own fellow dumb feminist idiots !!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #61 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:51pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:28pm:
Why does she need to post here? Doesn't your forum satisfy her needs?

Yes, but  apparently getting slaves to spread her shite is more satisfying!

Grin

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #62 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:52pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:01pm:
There's evidence they had a space agency abiut 10000 years before white colonisation and had actually developed faster than light space travel. They found exploring the universe rather boring and gave it all up for sticks and goon.

Like the irish in that family guy episode, lol!

Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #63 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:10pm

Well - where are the settler's journals?  All I see so far is rhetoric and the same apparent occurrence as the mysterious disappearance of John Smith's Golden Tablets of Mormon...  God apparently handed him golden tablets on which was written a 'new law of god', like those of Moses, but nobody ever saw them and they mysteriously vanished.  Mohamed couldn't have done better out there in Nowheresland.

Same thing seems to have happened to all the 'documentary evidence' for this position of Pascoe's.... so we are expected to rely on his chats with family members long after the events.

'young people are enthusiastic about the idea' - young people steeped in the religion of Victimhood are always enthusiastic about anything anyone hands them as Gospel - since they lack the experience, often the education, and certainly the nous to know the difference.

The ex and I used to play a game when traveling around - somewhere in South America an archaeologist saw the shapes of an extinct civilisation's buildings in land forms - turned out to be right....... so the ex and I would go around looking for conical hills that could likely be Aboriginal pyramids..... The Treeless Plain near Cooma is full of them.... all dedicated to the study of medicine, astronomy, the arts, philosophy, and science...... oh - and time and space travel....  Shocked

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #64 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:37pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 9:58pm:
I think there's a bit of embellishing here. The indigenous peoples were not a complex civilisation. They didn't have writing; they didn't have large urban settlements; no surplus of agriculture; and they didn't have the capital and coercive institutions we see in other civilisations.

This does not mean however that they were backward. The indigenous peoples were able to live in the same way for more than 40 thousand years continuously. This is an achievement itself: no empire has ever lasted even a fraction of that time. They indigenous peoples also left the environment untouched and pristine.

If we recognise the uniqueness of indigenous culture, rather than trying to retell history in order to satisfy the progressives, then we can fully more appreciate indigenous culture for what it is.

They were not what one would classify as a civilisation or empire now, were they? It's like saying people have "survived" in Africa for 500k years, that does not mean there was any civilisation or empire involved.

Civilisation has many meanings and connotations. When I talk about a civilisation, I'm talking about a specific type of social and political organisation of a society that can be categorised as 'complex'. Complex doesn't mean better or superior. It's just different. Complexity means that are more intertwining and inter-connected facets.

On the other hand, we can use the term civilisation to refer to a culture which is more civilised than another; i.e. the latter is barbaric and primitive.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #65 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:38pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:48pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:24pm:
Quote:
HOW BRUCE DISCOVERED THIS

Mr Pascoe said he had grown up with stories of massacres, separation of families and institutional racism, but he had not heard about the wonders of Aboriginal agriculture until late on in his life.

He said it “fell into its path” as he searched for the story of his own family history when he met elders of his own Aboriginal family.

“When I spoke to them, I was taken to task because of my own misunderstanding of history and the stuff I had learned at school,” he said.

“Once I realised that my reading of history was appalling, I then had to refurbish my own brain and once I did that and started reading a few explorers’ journals, I began to realise that an unbelievably different story to be told about the country and I couldn’t believe how stupid I had been.”

Mr Pascoe said there was a bit of backlash against his ideas from certain historians when he first started writing about his theories in 2013, but since then, he said the majority of people he has spoken to, especially young people, have been enthusiastic about his arguments.

Now he wants Australians to look at the settlers’ journals and decide which version of history they believe.

“Teachers are just teaching what they learnt in school, so we need to expand resources so they and the children can access the journals,” he said. “Then, they can make their own mind up about what our history was really like.”

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/indigenous-historian-bruce-pascoe...

I posted this here as requested by mothra. When will the unjustified ban on mothra and JS be lifted?? FD?

Mothra is an idiot: you aren't the fascist overlord of the world brutha!

So, you believe being an idiot warrants a ban?? Unless you know the real reason why they were banned?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #66 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:39pm

Quote:
This does not mean however that they were backward. The indigenous peoples were able to live in the same way for more than 40 thousand years continuously. This is an achievement itself

Do you equate complexity with superiority?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:43pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 12:36am:
Setanta wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:31pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Quote:

So, when will mothra and JS be unbanned or at least you summon up the manhood to tell them the reason for the ban?

Oh, piss off.

Moderators, address this language immediately.

They ought address your language & inferences first.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:49pm by Gnads »  

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:52pm

RE: the original OP.

Pascoes version of history is a far from correct as you can get.

And all his writings should be classed as fiction or childrens fairytales.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #69 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:57pm

What a load of codswallop Monk....  what were you taught at school?
Were you taught what was claimed in the article...  I wasn't.
Were some Aborigines/Tribes nomadic hunters and gatherers...  well yes some were.

Does the term "walkabout" mean anything to you?

Were there signs of cities and permanent buildings of any stature? No... The wheel perhaps?  Domestication and or breeding of animals for food perhaps?  Agriculture on any large scale? Any major inventions or technology perhaps?

Anywhere in Australia? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

As for Mothballs and Smitty...  2 less major trolls here is an improvement.  Wassup want to get rid of them from your copy of PA?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:15pm

Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
Quote:

That's usually how things work out. Not even the aborigines are volunteering to live like their ancestors.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:18pm

Spot on. Where's all this technology in the 'traditional' Aboriginal communities in 2018? The only traditions I see in Aboriginal communities is grog and crime.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #72 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:28pm

freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Quote:

That's usually how things work out. Not even the aborigines are volunteering to live like their ancestors.

So, is the White Man superior to the Indigenous Man, genetically?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #73 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:30pm

Quote:

It's a reasonable yardstick.

I actually think all this revisionist crap by handwringing lefties trying to elevate Aboriginal culture to mystical levels is actually more racist than accurately characterising what their society was actually like.

Just accept what they were and the reasons they never evolved a complex society or technology because of isolation.

Humans mingling with other groups and sharing ideas is what drove progress (and still does) and Aboriginals mostly lacked that and any group of humans isolated for so long would probably have similar results.

I have no problem saying their culture was the least advanced of any humans while accepting they're still people worthy of their hopes and dreams being fulfilled.

IBI

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #74 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:32pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:30pm:
Quote:

It's a reasonable yardstick.

I actually think all this revisionist crap by handwringing lefties trying to elevate Aboriginal culture to mystical levels is actually more racist than accurately characterising what their society was actually like.

Just accept what they were and the reasons they never evolved a complex society or technology because of isolation.

Humans mingling with other groups and sharing ideas is what drove progress (and still does) and Aboriginals mostly lacked that and any group of humans isolated for so long would probably have similar results.

I have no problem saying their culture was the least advanced of any humans while accepting they're still people worthy of their hopes and dreams being fulfilled.

So long as we always hold on to the principal that 'no person is beneath dignity'. We must treat everyone humanely and equally under the law.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Send Topic Print