Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Correct version of Australia’s history (Read 27394 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Correct version of Australia’s history
Reply #135 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:16pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:11pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:03pm:
It's pretty funny how the lefties always try to anthropomorphise Abos.

Oh? I've never visited one of you people's Belview Hill homes without a dot painting hanging on a feature wall.

Homo knows what I mean. He hasn't been to a leafy white enclave since he was speared by a front-lawn Aborigine.

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:16am

Oh? I've never visited one of you people's Belview Hill homes without a dot painting hanging on a feature wall.

Homo knows what I mean. He hasn't been to a leafy white enclave since he was speared by a front-lawn Aborigine.
Funny thing about dot paintings, they arent an Aboriginal invention.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #137 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:17pm

The only dot paintings I see out my way are on Indian ladies foreheads dear.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:25pm

rhino wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:16am:

Good point. Photo-realism, innit.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:25pm:

Multicultural realism babe.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

The only dot paintings I see out my way are on Indian ladies foreheads dear.

Not Pakis?

Shurely shome mishtake.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:27pm:

That's right. Dot paintings weren't around until the 1970s, as every schoolboy knows.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:32pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm:

That's right. Dot paintings weren't around until the 1970s, as every schoolboy knows.

Bit later than that karnal. Can't go anywhere without seeing  some miserable looking Indian nowadays.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #143 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:55pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:32pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:28pm:

Bit later than that karnal. Can't go anywhere without seeing  some miserable looking Indian nowadays.

Oh? They always look quite jolly to me.

That makes us miserable, no?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #144 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:57pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:30pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:11pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Australians have long held the idea that all Indigenous Australians were simple nomadic hunter-gatherers.  It enabled them to more easily dispossess them of the land and take it for themselves.  Appears that myth has been destroyed at last - Rethinking Indigenous Australia's agricultural past.

This is the wrong attitude to take, Brian. Rewriting history or re-interpreting it to make us feel better is not the way forward. We need to acknowledge facts and truths whilst recognising at the same time what we did wrong in the past.

I personally don't see any conflict between believing that the Indigenous Peoples were not a complex civilisation AND believing that we should also treat them with compassion and respect AND that they were no inferior.

You can accuse me of double-think if you wish.

I am not suggesting the rewriting or reinterpretation of anything, Auggie.  I am suggesting that the colonial view of all Indigenous Australians as being nomadic hunter-gatherers is incorrect - according to the colonists' own records.   Some were nomadic, some weren't.   Simples, really.   The records are there.  They have basically been ignored.   Surely we should take note of what was written?  Afterall they were the first hand observers, weren't they?

The point is that some Indigenous Australians were more sophisticated than many Australians have been taught.

Still the least developed human societies.

Also the longest lasting culture the world has known, one which invented sophisticated means of living using a stick, Gordon.   Plonk a white person down in the middle of Woop-Woop and they'd survive how long?   Plonk an Indigenous person down there and they'd still be alive happily when you came to collect them again.    White colonists were lucky the Indigenous Australians took pity on them, otherwise they'd have died of thirst or starved to death when they first arrived.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #145 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:00pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm:
I've listened to a few dream time stories. I don't recall mention of wells, farms, dams etc. History isn't something that's determined by what 'feels good'.

White words for white things, Hammer.  Indigenous Australians used black words for the same things.   Such a colonist mindset you have.  Completely unable to accept the reality that Colonists described.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #146 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:01pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:43pm:
Aboriginal maths.  LoL

They didn't store goods or trade extensively so no need to count.

Their trade routes covered thousands of kilometres, Gordon. 

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #147 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:03pm

AiA wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
There are many accounts of English settlers in North America who went over to live with the Native Americans, who "went native" because life was so much better with them than in a miserable colony. While I have read Australian history, I can't think of any similar tales off hand, but there must be some ... but I don't think the living was as good with the Abos as it was with the Indians.

Quite a few white convicts, shipwrecked sailors and castaways lived long lives with Indigenous Australians for many, many years. AiA.   Look them up with a websearch.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #148 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 3:08pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:34pm:
Australians have long held the idea that all Indigenous Australians were simple nomadic hunter-gatherers.  It enabled them to more easily dispossess them of the land and take it for themselves.  Appears that myth has been destroyed at last - Rethinking Indigenous Australia's agricultural past.

This is the wrong attitude to take, Brian. Rewriting history or re-interpreting it to make us feel better is not the way forward. We need to acknowledge facts and truths whilst recognising at the same time what we did wrong in the past.

I personally don't see any conflict between believing that the Indigenous Peoples were not a complex civilisation AND believing that we should also treat them with compassion and respect AND that they were no inferior.

I am not suggesting the rewriting or reinterpretation of anything, Auggie.  I am suggesting that the colonial view of all Indigenous Australians as being nomadic hunter-gatherers is incorrect - according to the colonists' own records.   Some were nomadic, some weren't.   Simples, really.   The records are there.  They have basically been ignored.   Surely we should take note of what was written?  Afterall they were the first hand observers, weren't they?

The point is that some Indigenous Australians were more sophisticated than many Australians have been taught.

Still the least developed human societies.

Also the longest lasting culture the world has known, one which invented sophisticated means of living using a stick, Gordon.   Plonk a white person down in the middle of Woop-Woop and they'd survive how long?   Plonk an Indigenous person down there and they'd still be alive happily when you came to collect them again.    White colonists were lucky the Indigenous Australians took pity on them, otherwise they'd have died of thirst or starved to death when they first arrived.   Roll Eyes

How very racist and wrong of YOU bwian.
PLONKING people down in places and making assumptions about an individual's ability to survive is tenuous at best.  Know lots of Aboriginals happy to live as they do today, would be lost in the outback, no survival skills bwian  Whereas some....  what did you call them?  Oh yeah WHITE people...  would survive quite well. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
tsk, tsk, tsk bwian. 

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2018 at 11:29pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #149 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 5:57pm

They may be more sophisticated, Brian, but they don't have the characteristics that are required to be a 'complex' civilisation according to the anthropological view: i.e. writing; large urban settlements; division of labour; domination over the nature environment, etc.

That doesn't mean that complex means superior; it just means it was different. The indigenous civilisation was unique; that they were able to survive continously for tens of thousands of years is remarkable. No Western civilisation has ever lasted a fraction of that time.

I just don't think that we should try to denigrate the achievements of other civlisations at the expense of trying to hype up another civilisation.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Send Topic Print