Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Correct version of Australia’s history (Read 27673 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Correct version of Australia’s history
Reply #105 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:55pm

Australians have long held the idea that all Indigenous Australians were simple nomadic hunter-gatherers.  It enabled them to more easily dispossess them of the land and take it for themselves.  Appears that myth has been destroyed at last - Rethinking Indigenous Australia's agricultural past.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #106 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 5:11pm

According to Brian's article, the aborigines "farmed" the land by burning the grass and hunting the roos that later came to eat the fresh growth. If we set the bar that low, then I am farming fish every time I burley up.

Any idea what Pascoe means when he talks about sheds and houses?

Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:41pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:28pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:17pm:
Quote:
This does not mean however that they were backward. The indigenous peoples were able to live in the same way for more than 40 thousand years continuously. This is an achievement itself

And you accuse Pascoe of embellishing.

Do you equate complexity with superiority?

That's usually how things work out. Not even the aborigines are volunteering to live like their ancestors.

So, is the White Man superior to the Indigenous Man, genetically?

I understand we have a higher tolerance for alcohol.

Is this your attempt to evade answers to questions, so that I can't quote you as being a racist?

No.

So, answer the question: yes or no?

In what way was my previous answer unclear?
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2018 at 5:24pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

JollyGreenGiant

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 5:46pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Australians have long held the idea that all Indigenous Australians were simple nomadic hunter-gatherers.  It enabled them to more easily dispossess them of the land and take it for themselves.  Appears that myth has been destroyed at last - Rethinking Indigenous Australia's agricultural past.

The Original Indigenous Peoples didn't even discover FIRE.

They didn't get past the neanderthal, and still haven't.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #108 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:08pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 10:58pm:
I think you need a break Auggie... the "R" word seems to be a preoccupation with you lately...  you keep trying to pin it on people.  Tsk, tsk, tsk....

Not at all.

If the Right wants to win arguments and enhance its support among the population, it needs to work with moderates (such as myself) and come to a consensus.

I'm not going to compromise with you if you're a flat-out racist. Prove to me you're not, and I'll reach you halfway. That's more than what the Left are even willing to do.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #109 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:08pm

freediver wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 5:11pm:
According to Brian's article, the aborigines "farmed" the land by burning the grass and hunting the roos that later came to eat the fresh growth. If we set the bar that low, then I am farming fish every time I burley up.

Any idea what Pascoe means when he talks about sheds and houses?

Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:42pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:41pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:28pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 6:39pm:
Quote:
This does not mean however that they were backward. The indigenous peoples were able to live in the same way for more than 40 thousand years continuously. This is an achievement itself

Do you equate complexity with superiority?

That's usually how things work out. Not even the aborigines are volunteering to live like their ancestors.

So, is the White Man superior to the Indigenous Man, genetically?

I understand we have a higher tolerance for alcohol.

Is this your attempt to evade answers to questions, so that I can't quote you as being a racist?

No.

So, answer the question: yes or no?

In what way was my previous answer unclear?

You didn't answer yes or no. You made up some whimsical example about how we 'can tolerate wine better'. That's an insufficient answer.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #110 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:11pm

This is the wrong attitude to take, Brian. Rewriting history or re-interpreting it to make us feel better is not the way forward. We need to acknowledge facts and truths whilst recognising at the same time what we did wrong in the past.

I personally don't see any conflict between believing that the Indigenous Peoples were not a complex civilisation AND believing that we should also treat them with compassion and respect AND that they were no inferior.

You can accuse me of double-think if you wish.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #111 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:22pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 11:11pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:31pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Quote:

So, when will mothra and JS be unbanned or at least you summon up the manhood to tell them the reason for the ban?

Oh, piss off.

You are FD, are you?

I intend to keep on asking.

If I were you Monk, I'd want the crazy woman out of my attic too ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #112 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:30pm

Auggie wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 6:11pm:

This is the wrong attitude to take, Brian. Rewriting history or re-interpreting it to make us feel better is not the way forward. We need to acknowledge facts and truths whilst recognising at the same time what we did wrong in the past.

I personally don't see any conflict between believing that the Indigenous Peoples were not a complex civilisation AND believing that we should also treat them with compassion and respect AND that they were no inferior.

I am not suggesting the rewriting or reinterpretation of anything, Auggie.  I am suggesting that the colonial view of all Indigenous Australians as being nomadic hunter-gatherers is incorrect - according to the colonists' own records.   Some were nomadic, some weren't.   Simples, really.   The records are there.  They have basically been ignored.   Surely we should take note of what was written?  Afterall they were the first hand observers, weren't they?

The point is that some Indigenous Australians were more sophisticated than many Australians have been taught.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #113 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:30pm:

I am not suggesting the rewriting or reinterpretation of anything, Auggie.  I am suggesting that the colonial view of all Indigenous Australians as being nomadic hunter-gatherers is incorrect - according to the colonists' own records.   Some were nomadic, some weren't.   Simples, really.   The records are there.  They have basically been ignored.   Surely we should take note of what was written?  Afterall they were the first hand observers, weren't they?

The point is that some Indigenous Australians were more sophisticated than many Australians have been taught.

Still the least developed human societies.

IBI

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #114 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:34pm:

Yes, but you've assimilated, Gordon. You fingered that Boong.

Intact, wasn't he?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm

I've listened to a few dream time stories. I don't recall mention of wells, farms, dams etc. History isn't something that's determined by what 'feels good'.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #116 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:42pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm:

Intact, wasn't he?

Don't you get bored of lying?

IBI

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm:
I've listened to a few dream time stories.

Homo went to school with one.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #118 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Aboriginal maths.  LoL

They didn't store goods or trade extensively so no need to count.

IBI

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:44pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:42pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:39pm:

Intact, wasn't he?

Don't you get bored of lying?

Down the back of the Dubbo oval after the game. You said.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34
Send Topic Print