Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Paramedics Targeted For Refusing Overtime (Read 1836 times)
TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Re: Paramedics Targeted For Refusing Overtime
Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:55pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:40pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:36pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:24pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Captain Caveman wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:17pm:
Bus drivers and truck drivers are only allowed to work 12hrs then they MUST have at least 7hrs continuous rest.
I would hazard a guess that this particular case will be dismissed.

Only 7?

That's not enough.

Certainly not... would you trust a driver of a huge truck who had, at most six hours 'rest' which includes eating and such as well as a short nap?  Driving down the expressway Sydney to Brisbane as we do a lot, there are big tears in the fencing every few kilometeres and often some serious tyre marks from brakes locking just before going over into the bush... all trucks...

Then there is the spectre of Truckie Psychosis wherein they begin to play games with the 'inferiors' in cars that are 'blocking' their way and their 'right' to exceed their speed limit etc ... that kind of crap has reached the point where I'd be happy to get an AK and stop and start burning one or two who do that to me...

The rules are not good enough.  Should be a mandatory twelve hour break every 24.... twelve hours total driving is more than enough for anyone, especially on these long, easy, soporific roads and new highways .....

Maybe six then a mandatory break for a total of twelve per day.

Thoughts, greg??

BTW - I was once targeted by management, as a Union delegate, for standing on the right to stop working after starting at 4 in the morning and still at it at 1 in the afternoon... nine hours and on the hottest day that year when a post office closed down and there was no air con.  I insisted on my lunch break... copped a week's suspension.... but I got it back by over-charging one hour a day overtime - the management was so poor they had no idea that some blokes were over-charging them on a daily basis.  when asked once at a meeting with management if I could run the company better, I simply shrugged and ignored that... I don't argue with idiots... but yes, I could have - given the team of my choice to run it.

Maybe workers need those AKs occasionally to resolve industrial relations issues....

I would think that 10 hours between shifts would be an absolute minimum (for a driver).

Hairdressers and burger flippers get a 12 hour minimum break.

Maybe a straight fringe and well cooked all beef patties are more important that safe drivers on our roads.

7 hours with a mandatory 2 hour break - another 7 - followed by 8?  Fourteen hours straight is way too much driving for handling a 40 tonner....  maybe they need enforceable breaks every four hours.. hairdressers and burger flippers get a mandatory break every 4-5 hours... why not truck drivers and bus drivers?  They deal with people's lives - not hair and burgers (though the burgers may have some impact there, and never underestimate the Sweeney Todds of the hair trade .. oh.. darling.. they just murdered your hair!)...   Smiley ...

If you don't take breaks on the forklift then fridge,.. I mean freezer <oops!>, doors start coming off!

Talk about unproductive... luckily it's only a depot and not on any highway!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Considering the world is run by trucking the systems that corrupt man need a closeness of attention according to their due such importance!

TELL ME I'M WRONG  Shocked Shocked Shocked

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:58pm

<Yes, I admit to editing my verse many many times  Roll Eyes>

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 3:52pm

I have done up to 15 hours in a day work (which seems to be more than what I get in a week, these days). Rarely do I see 12 hour days. But if I was asked to work more than the 12 hour shifts, I would tell them "no". I get overtime at more than 8 hours with my part-time work. Doing more than 4 hours overtime seems a bit much.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 7:34pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:26am:
Captain Caveman wrote on Jul 9th, 2018 at 8:17pm:
Bus drivers and truck drivers are only allowed to work 12hrs then they MUST have at least 7hrs continuous rest.
I would hazard a guess that this particular case will be dismissed.

Only 7?

That's not enough.

In my industry it's 12 hours off at home & 8 hours off when away between shifts.

It's an absolute scandal that our Paramedics are being treated in this manner.

Supervisory heads should roll.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2018 at 9:36pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 1:49pm:
Paramedics not only deal with driving and traffic, but then have to deal with often life-threatening situations while in full compos mente.  Being a shift zombie is no way to do it, and countless studies have shown that sleep deprivation, especially during the dead hours of the night, leads to a form of psychosis.

How dare anyone demand that a crew work after a twelve hour night shift?

Perfect recipe if in a situation where they need to turn on the lights and drive fast on the wrong side of the road.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:13am

nonsense. If they dont get a break then they get overtime, the break is not mandatory.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:15am

rhino wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:13am:

nonsense. If they dont get a break then they get overtime, the break is not mandatory.

Breaks between shifts

"Employees have to get a minimum break of 12 hours between finishing work on one day and starting work the next day."

Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010 [MA000005].

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:31am

Charges in like a Rhino

knows naff all.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:41am

Gnads wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 8:31am:
Charges in like a Rhino

knows naff all.  Roll Eyes

Stamps out an already safe fire due to hysterical behaviour.  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2