Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Well it is Fox News
Reply #15 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:40pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:39pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:21pm:
Betrothed/espoused.....all = married in those days.

Google it.

So if they were betrothed they were married and could have sex?

Jewish Wedding Tradition

Yes.......there are all sorts of ways they try to explain away the fact that 'God' snuck in while Joseph was at work.....and Mary way 'betrothed/espoused' to Joseph.

If Jo was found to be porking Mary, both would have been stoned.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Let's stop beating around the bush.  My view is clear.

Jesus was not beget by God.  The whole story is crap.  Makes zero practical sense, and.....what is that expression......something about falsifiable?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:57pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:46pm:

Jesus was not beget by God.  The whole story is crap.  Makes zero practical sense, and.....what is that expression......something about falsifiable?

I can go with that, never happened. Why then play silly games rather than come out and say it? If you don't want to be called on what you say, stick to the facts and what you mean, your point. You sidetrack what your point is by meaningless shyte that can be shown to be crap, then try and control the damage with a bit of pedantry, or as you like to say tap dancing in custard...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:05pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:57pm:

I can go with that, never happened. Why then play silly games rather than come out and say it? If you don't want to be called on what you say, stick to the facts and what you mean, your point. You sidetrack what your point is by meaningless shyte that can be shown to be crap, then try and control the damage with a bit of pedantry, or as you like to say tap dancing in custard...

I'm not a spoon feeder for infants. 

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:05pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:57pm:

I'm not a spoon feeder for infants. 

So what was your sojourn in aid of?

I travelled the language
I used words that meant nothing
I obfuscated and misled
All of this I did so I did not feed infants.

What I really mean is all infants should starve.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:15pm

I hope that people of sound mind can work it out without me hammering them with a blunt object.  You do the same.....quite often with your cryptic comments.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:19pm

Aussie wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
I hope that people of sound mind can work it out without me hammering them with a blunt object.  You do the same.....quite often with your cryptic comments.

Moi crypte?  Undecided

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:32pm

Google it.

No it didn't....

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:43pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:32pm:

Google it.

No it didn't....

It was in a way, it was that way in late medieval England too, Children were "married", put in a bed overnight but until the consummation were not considered man and wife. He's playing with words.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:43pm

But not as we know it today Set...

Just so you know Aussie...  since it seems you don't and you seem to have confused past and present practices.

For Hebrews...

Until late in the Middle Ages, marriage consisted of two ceremonies that were marked by celebrations at two separate times, with an interval between.

First came the betrothal [erusin]; and later, the wedding [nissuin]. At the betrothal the woman was legally married, although she still remained in her father’s house.  The marriage at this stage was not consummated.

She could not belong to another man unless she was divorced from her betrothed. The wedding meant only that the betrothed woman, accompanied by a colorful procession, was brought from her father’s house to the house of her groom, and the legal tie with him was then consummated. Roll Eyes

Different from today's traditions.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:54pm by Grendel »  

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Some recorded examples...

http://www.bible.ca/marriage/ancient-jewish-three-stage-weddings-and-marriage-cu...

Quote:
There were three states of a marriage in the Bible:

Stage 1: signing the "ketubbah" contract (Creating the marriage bond)

i.      The bride would chose her husband and her father would sign a legal contract with him called a "ketubbah".

ii.      Once this is signed the couple is 100% married but do not have sex yet.

iii.      Young children were often married, (arraigned marriage) but did not consummate until of age.

Stage 2: The "chuppah": sexual consummation.

i.      Up to 7 years later, the groom is able to raise the money as set out in the ketubbah contract and notifies the father of the bride, who then sets a date to consummate the marriage at the bride's home.

ii.      The bride waits with her maidens, for the arrival of the groom and his companions.

iii.      The couple enters the chuppah room and consummates the marriage while the companions of the bride and groom wait and celebrate outside or in the next room.

iv.      The groom hands the bloodied "proof of virginity cloth" to the witnesses chosen by the bride's parents, who then give it to the bride for safekeeping.

Stage 3: The wedding feast

i.      After consummation, the entire wedding party walks to the house of the groom in a procession for a wedding feast.

ii.      At the conclusion of the wedding feast, the couple has completed the ancient ritual of marriage.

Quote:
Confusion over Jewish Betrothal: When the groom and the father of the bride signed the ketubbah, the couple was 100% legally married.

The couple was legally married, but sexual co-habitation has not yet begun until stage two up to a year later.
    This is seen in the fact that although Mary and Joseph were betrothed, they had never had sex, even though they were 100% legally married.

Although called betrothal, it was not equivalent to our modern engagement today, which is nothing more than "monogamous promise dating" with no legal consequences if broken.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #26 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:01pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:43pm:
But not as we know it today Set...

No not as we know it today by a long shot. In middle medieval England a promise of marriage signed by sexual intercourse was marriage. There were no over arching theatricals.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #27 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:05pm

Good to see you back Raven.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #28 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:06pm

Well if the god we know is male, there is probably a female god too.

After all god was originally called Elohim.

That's plural.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #29 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:08pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 10:05pm:
Good to see you back Raven.

Thank you good sir.

Raven has been busy of late. Not much time to post

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print