Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Climate change and renewable energy...? (Read 2291 times)
Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Climate change and renewable energy...?
Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:38am

I've always been in favour of renewable energy but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that renewable energy will have some effects on climate change.

Think about it.....???

Large banks of solar panels will affect the local area by changing the convection, conduction and radiation of the local area.

Large banks of wind mills may have the undesired affects of changing the wind patterns of the Earth.

Would like to see some studies on this.

Thoughts................?!?!?!

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Climate change and renewable energy...?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:43pm

"The wind isn’t what it used to be. Scientists say surface wind speeds across the planet have fallen by as much as 25% since the 1970s. The eerie phenomenon – dubbed ‘stilling’ – is believed to be a consequence of global warming, and may impact everything from agriculture to the liveability of our cities. It has taken more than a decade for scientists to get a handle on stilling, a term coined by Australian National University ecohydrologist Michael Roderick in 2007."

https://cosmosmagazine.com/climate/the-wind-is-slowing-down

The paper -

"Wind speed climatology and trends for Australia, 1975–2006: Capturing the stilling phenomenon and comparison with near‐surface reanalysis output"

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2008GL035627

https://theconversation.com/wind-power-affects-climate-cooling-and-warming-regio...

https://www.quora.com/Do-wind-farms-disrupt-wind-flow-patterns

Solar panels don't have enough clearance for grazing animals to get underneath the panels. Cattle would be too hefty I imagine also. That means increased use of chemicals to kill plants, as mowers wouldn't be viable.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:35pm

lee wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:43pm:
"The wind isn’t what it used to be. Scientists say surface wind speeds across the planet have fallen by as much as 25% since the 1970s. The eerie phenomenon – dubbed ‘stilling’ – is believed to be a consequence of global warming, and may impact everything from agriculture to the liveability of our cities. It has taken more than a decade for scientists to get a handle on stilling, a term coined by Australian National University ecohydrologist Michael Roderick in 2007."

https://cosmosmagazine.com/climate/the-wind-is-slowing-down

The paper -

"Wind speed climatology and trends for Australia, 1975–2006: Capturing the stilling phenomenon and comparison with near‐surface reanalysis output"

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2008GL035627

https://theconversation.com/wind-power-affects-climate-cooling-and-warming-regio...

https://www.quora.com/Do-wind-farms-disrupt-wind-flow-patterns

Solar panels don't have enough clearance for grazing animals to get underneath the panels. Cattle would be too hefty I imagine also. That means increased use of chemicals to kill plants, as mowers wouldn't be viable.

But even the low ones r using mainly sheep, even qld uni at grafton r using sheep around their panels.
do a google image search of sheep and solar panels
China they r also putting panels above the water and making fish farms.
I've also thought if they put solar panels in deserts near the ocean, the panels could desalinate the water and pump the water to the shaded area's underneath.

The live stock love panels because it gives them shade as well  Wink

It is alarming that u point out Lee that global warming is slowing down wind though.
don't worry though the mini ice age will bring wind right back up  Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:50pm by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:42pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:38am:
I've always been in favour of renewable energy but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that renewable energy will have some effects on climate change.

Think about it.....???

Large banks of solar panels will affect the local area by changing the convection, conduction and radiation of the local area.

Large banks of wind mills may have the undesired affects of changing the wind patterns of the Earth.

Will a solar panel soaking up the sun (which i would think would cool the ground) be worse than burning coal or oil ?

The wind passes through the blades of wind farms , i would say the air behind them would be more turbulent,
I couldn't imagine them changing the force of wind coming from the ocean.
Wink Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:54pm by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:46pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:35pm:
But even the low ones r using mainly sheep, even qld uni at grafton r using sheep around their panels.

So what height are they putting Commercial solar panels? Don't forget adding height adds costs. Wink

I notice you highlighted the stilling attributed to global warming but made no mention of it in your post. Was there a reason? You did notice that they didn't attribute this global warming to anthropogenic causes?

Now if the wind is not blowing as much and the turbulence from the wind generators will make them more inefficient; what do you believe the impact will be on the wind generated power.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:53pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:10pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:42pm:

Think about it.....???

Will a solar panel soaking up the sun (which i would think would cool the ground) be worse than burning coal or oil ?

The wind passes through the blades of wind farms , i would say the air behind them would be more turbulent,
Wink Wink

The panels would have a similar effect to growing a patch of trees.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:51pm

"Turbulence, a challenging problem for wind energy"

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2004.02.040

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:18am

lee wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 3:46pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 2:35pm:

So what height are they putting Commercial solar panels? Don't forget adding height adds costs. Wink

I notice you highlighted the stilling attributed to global warming but made no mention of it in your post. Was there a reason? You did notice that they didn't attribute this global warming to anthropogenic causes?

Now if the wind is not blowing as much and the turbulence from the wind generators will make them more inefficient; what do you believe the impact will be on the wind generated power.

Well a sheep isn't very tall lee.........,and most panels r on a angle as well, all the pics I've seen , the sheep don't seam to have a problem getting under them Smiley
please read again Lee I did mention it and as I said now we r having a ice age, the winds will pick back up Smiley
So u agree the earth is warming, just not the method ?
Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:26am

lee wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:51pm:
"Turbulence, a challenging problem for wind energy"

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2004.02.040

Basic problems arising in the growing use of the wind energy are discussed. We mainly focus on problems which are related to the turbulent character of the wind. The meaning of large and meso-scale atmospheric turbulence for the energy production is discussed. We show for the wind turbulence on small scales how statistics with anomalous probabilities arise, which can be set into the context of wind gusts. Furthermore, we discuss a new method to extract a stochastic process from given data which enables a new and more profound statistical description of the complexity of turbulence and turbulent wind fields.

I can see why u only put in the link... what is this saying......
R u putting in a  link about a model for turbulence issue's ?
SO u trust models now ? Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:28am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:10pm:

Think about it.....???

Wink Wink

what is the wind like behind the skyscrapers at the gold coast........  Cheesy Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:33am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:28am:

Think about it.....???

Wink Wink

what is the wind like behind the skyscrapers at the gold coast........  Cheesy Cheesy

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:51am

Bobby. wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:33am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:28am:

Think about it.....???

Wink Wink

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

the post was wondering what the effects of wind turbines would be on the environment, so a bunch of man made skyscrapers would be a good indicator.. wouldn't it ?

I am me

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:20am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:51am:
the post was wondering what the effects of wind turbines would be on the environment, so a bunch of man made skyscrapers would be a good indicator.. wouldn't it ?

Not the same thing...!!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/28/the-wind-turbine-albedo-effect/

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #13 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Ajax wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 10:20am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:51am:

Not the same thing...!!!

https://preview.ibb.co/n5kfbo/windturb.jpg

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/28/the-wind-turbine-albedo-effect/

that awesome, where it doesn't rain much u put up some wind turbines and clouds happen, that's great news Smiley Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:09pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:18am:
Well a sheep isn't very tall lee.........,and most panels r on a angle as well, all the pics I've seen , the sheep don't seam to have a problem getting under them

lee wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 12:43pm:
Cattle would be too hefty I imagine also.

You mean those "sheep"? Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print