Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Workers Sacked Who Requested Award Rates (Read 349 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Workers Sacked Who Requested Award Rates
Jul 6th, 2018 at 1:43pm

Ichi Group threatened, fired restaurant workers who requested award rates, ex-employees claim

ABC News
July 8 2018

Another popular Melbourne restaurant chain has been hit by claims it has underpaid its staff, and one former worker alleges he was told his "job was on the line" and others were fired after they asked to be paid award rates.   Shocked   Angry

Former workers say twenty ex-employees have been paid about $150,000 after raising the allegations with the Ichi Group, which runs popular Melbourne restaurants including Fitzroy's Ichi Ni Nana and St Kilda's Ichi Ni.

The United Voice union said at least some casual workers employed by Ichi Group were paid just $18 per hour — approximately $5 less than the award rate at the time.

The union, which represents workers across the nation, has made a complaint to the Fair Work Ombudsman claiming Ichi Group did not pay penalties or overtime rates, and paid lower base rates to workers on temporary visas.   Sad

It has requested an investigation into the organisation's past and current pay arrangements.

The ABC contacted the Ichi Group by phone and in writing, but has been told the company would not comment.
'Overworked and underpaid'

James Lea started working at Ichi Group's Fitzroy restaurant complex, in Brunswick Street, in March 2016.

After working for $18.50 per hour for around seven months, Mr Lea requested his pay be increased to the award rate, he said.

"Their response was to sit me down in the office and tell me I was doing a bad job and my job was on the line," he said.

"They weren't able to give me a pay rise because they were unhappy with my progress."

Mr Lea said he had initially been looking forward to working at an exciting venue on a street he loved.

"The whole time I was there, I was underpaid. When I left after 18 months … myself and a few other friends got together … and collectively signed a letter requesting that they investigate whether they'd paid us correctly."

Mr Lea said he received more than $13,000 in backpay from Ichi Group, but said the signatories who were still employed subsequently lost their jobs.

Mr Lea said bar staff sometimes worked up to 17 hours without a break, and others would sometimes wait at the venue for hours only to find they weren't required.   

He said payslips didn't accurately reflect hours worked, or weren't even given to workers.
'Entrenched culture in Melbourne hospo'

The complaint to the ombudsman alleges Ichi Group exploited and discriminated against workers based on their nationality, ethnicity, language or visa status.

Fourteen workers on student or working holiday visas, most of whom arrived from Asia, received just $18 an hour with no penalties or overtime, whereas the hourly rate for Australian workers was $21 with no penalties or overtime, the complaint alleges. 

"Very few of them have felt confident to speak up — anonymously or privately — because the threat to their visa and the threat to their jobs," Mr Lea said.

"They were paid for a 38-hour week, but often doing 50 to 60 hours. Often students were forced into lower rates of pay and cash-in-hand because the business refuses to pay the proper casual entitlements."

Former employee Oscar Shaw, who also signed the letter demanding repayment, said there are other workers who could be owed money.

"I have no doubt that everyone who has ever worked for them is owed money. We're currently helping a second group of people claim back probably around $60,000," Mr Shaw said.

"There is an entrenched culture in Melbourne hospo of underpayment.

"The sad thing is many workers accept this as unchangeable.

"Those who are able to earn a decent wage look back on previous poor wages as a sort of necessary part of the career.

But Mr Lea said he was part of a great team, despite the working conditions.

"The staff all tend to bond together, especially in the face of adversity. The owners of the business would always tell us we were one big family … one of the things that made us laugh was that bond was in spite of them," Mr Lea said.

"The 20 of us who came forward was just a tiny fraction of people who have worked at the venue over the past years.

"Hopefully from now the Ichi Group will investigate these claims properly and thoroughly.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Workers Sacked Who Requested Award Rates
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Hopefully someone will go to jail for this.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Oh. Hello. Its not an indian restaurant!

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 5:53am

Wow its amazing how nobody cares when it doesnt involve indians.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:23am

In 50 years will be like China was 50 years ago.

Working for a bowl of rice and getting around on a bicycle, entertainment will be procreating we wont need anymore immigration LOL.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 11:31am

I thought Dan the Man was fixing everything in Vic....

never heard of this chain... so can only presume it is a Vic only group??....

shame on them.. and shame on Dan the man..who promised to change everything.. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print