Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Newstart Is No Start
Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:10am

Newstart is no start   Sad

Posted July 4, 2018
Sydney City News

Last week Inner West mayor Darcy Byrne issued a press release proclaiming that he was fronting a push at the ALP’s national conference in Sydney for a $75 a week increase to the Newstart allowance.

The fact that even with support from his employer and mentor Anthony Albanese, the motion failed to gather support from conference delegates and is now in Labor’s ‘too hard’ basket.

“In regards to Labor it brings into question their commitment to fighting inequality,” Greens Senator for NSW Lee Rhiannon said.

While Labor may not be heeding the call for an increase, it is ignoring the groundswell of calls for an increase that includes Deloitte Access Economics, the Australian Business Council, the Business Group of Australia, Ai-Group, small business advocates COSBOA, the ACTU, ACOSS, the Salvation Army, Australian Super and even John Howard.

“As of March 2018 there were 750,412 Australians receiving Newstart and the majority of people receiving Newstart also receive at least one supplementary payment,” a Department of Social Security spokesperson said.

Newstart currently pays a single recipient with no children $272 per week, when the unofficial poverty line is $426.30 per week and the national minimum wage is $694.90 per week.

According to the Australian Council for Social Services( ACOSS), the minimum cost of essentials such as housing, groceries, energy transport and clothing is $433 per week.

There has not been a change in real terms to the amount of payment for Newstart since 1994 under the Keating Labor government.   Sad

“This is where Labor should come to their senses and recognise that if they are part of fighting inequality they should be ending the near 24 year freeze,” Senator Rhiannon said.

“We want people to have job opportunities where they can work, but we have to make sure while they are on Newstart that it’s adequate, that we

are not entrenching them into disadvantage,” Jennifer Westacott, chief executive, Business Council of Australia said.

Treasurer Scott Morrison thinks that Newstart is adequate and wants to leave the payments as they are.   Sad 

“Once Australia abandoned its full employment policy in the seventies this idea of an unconditional safety net begins to fall away as a new attitude that we are all individually responsible for our lives becomes the dominant attitude,” Jeremy Poxon, media officer, Australia Unemployed Workers Union said.

With the unemployed debate perception is everything as the media and politicians seldom speak about unemployment without referring to ‘dole bludgers’,

“There has been a long standing policy on both sides of government that distinguished people as deserving and non-deserving, and the way that the unemployed have been spoken about has been disgraceful for a long time,” Charmaine Crow, senior policy and advocacy officer, ACOSS said.

There is also a perception perpetrated by both sides of politics that there are plenty of jobs out there and that the current low rate of pay is necessary to force people back into work.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics and the Department of Employment both say that there are currently 1.83 million unemployed and under-employed people competing for 155,000 job vacancies, or 12 job seekers for every job listed.   Sad

The survey did not say what percentage of these jobs were part time jobs.

“You are meant to go and check out jobs that aren’t even there,” Senator Rhiannon said.

There is also the fundamental changes brought on by the gig economy currently sweeping society that both government and the opposition have failed to account for.

These changes to the very nature of work are likely to create a new underclass that will need to resort to social security many times over during their working life, while stripping them of safety nets such as sick pay, holiday pay and superannuation.

“The gig economy is like going back to feudal times where people are expected to work in piece work,” Senator Rhiannon said.

Whereas once most Australians could aim for full time work across their lifetime, now they are looking at up to 20 jobs in their working careers and can expect gaps of varying lengths between positions where they will need to access the safety net of an equitable social security.

“The gig economy is a classic case of technology far outpacing government policy and there is a concern about the impact of this economy on people’s financial security and also on how the social security system interacts with the gig economy where we see people in insecure work,” Charmaine Crowe said.

In 2017, an ACOSS report revealed that there was an estimated 2.9 million Australians were living below the poverty line and included 731,000 children under the age of 15. 

Figures like this should be of concern to all political parties as they will play an increasing role in the makeup of Australia’s social fabric.

There is a glimmer of hope that the call for an increase for Newstart will gain traction when the Greens introduce a private members bill later in the year, that is if our politicians have the courage to address it.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Newstart Is No Start
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:31am

Yeah the labour party is just like the liberal party nowadays. Our choices are far-right or far-right.

Quote:
There is also a perception perpetrated by both sides of politics that there are plenty of jobs out there and that the current low rate of pay is necessary to force people back into work.

Isnt working is it? Seems if its going to force ppl into work it would have done it. There arent any jobs out there to force them into.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:41am

very very foolish to see the government as the provider of your cash or of your job.

from the age of 12, you need to be developing social networks, doing odd jobs, being that enthusiastic kid, always smiling and being helpful.

my son was like that.
had 2 jobs at 15, impressed the guy who ran the local dominoes, who had a brother who ran a computer store, upgraded to that whilst he did uni, impressed that guy who had contracts with suncorp doing their IT, moved into that job.

i dont think my boy would know how to spell centrelink
i dont think he ever has or ever will go there.

just sidestep the whole mess.

i promise you, if you are enthusiastic and passionate and want to learn, doors will open for you, you are 'the prize". people will beat a path to your door, you will have more opportunities then you can handle.

if you are a sook and a whinge bag who is butthurt and hanging out at centrelink looking like a sad sack, then no employer will touch you. you are toxic. you would infect his other workers and disgust his customers.  its on YOU to clean up your act and get rid of the toxins. and that starts with a great smile, good posture and a firm handshake which do not cost 1 cent

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:50am

Aqua there simply arent enough jobs. You can be enthusiastic as you like but if it doesnt exist . . . .

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:13am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:50am:
Aqua there simply arent enough jobs. You can be enthusiastic as you like but if it doesnt exist . . . .

Spot

thats not how it works.

as an example, i have a neighbour, millionaire, in his 60's.
he is always out doing odd jobs like spraying lantana or moving bits of fallen timber and burning them.
his wife is always at him to take her to europe but he says he cant find anyone reliable that he would trust to look after his joint .

so there is a job there waiting for someone, BUT you would have to know the guy and he would have to trust you and then its yours. the odds he would go to a job agency and advertise are zero.
the odds that he would meet some enthusiastic  17 yo at a working bee at the local pony club and give  him a job are 100 %.

now all you have to do is go be that enthusaistic kid and get noticed

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:07am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:41am:
very very foolish to see the government as the provider of your cash or of your job. 
But that's the job government arrogates unto itself

from the age of 12, you need to be developing social networks, doing odd jobs, being that enthusiastic kid, always smiling and being helpful. 
Yeah - go to the 'right' private school or you're  a leaner for life

i promise you, if you are enthusiastic and passionate and want to learn, doors will open for you, you are 'the prize". people will beat a path to your door, you will have more opportunities then you can handle.

if you are a sook and a whinge bag who is butthurt and hanging out at centrelink looking like a sad sack, then no employer will touch you. you are toxic. you would infect his other workers and disgust his customers.  its on YOU to clean up your act and get rid of the toxins. and that starts with a great smile, good posture and a firm handshake which do not cost 1 cent

Oh - I dunno about that - I'm like Johnny McAleese (RIP) still take on more than guys half my age into my later 40's.... but I don't make a big deal out of it, so people rarely notice..... I don't proclaim my greatness from the roof tops, so people hardly notice I'm here.... until I get going....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:32am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:13am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:50am:

Spot

thats not how it works.

as an example, i have a neighbour, millionaire, in his 60's.
he is always out doing odd jobs like spraying lantana or moving bits of fallen timber and burning them.
his wife is always at him to take her to europe but he says he cant find anyone reliable that he would trust to look after his joint .

so there is a job there waiting for someone, BUT you would have to know the guy and he would have to trust you and then its yours. the odds he would go to a job agency and advertise are zero.
the odds that he would meet some enthusiastic  17 yo at a working bee at the local pony club and give  him a job are 100 %.

now all you have to do is go be that enthusaistic kid and get noticed

What don't you understand about there are no jobs.

We have 770,000 unemployed and only 150,000 job vacancies...  that leaves 620,000 Australians without a job to even apply for

BTW if Newstart is now $272 a week its already gone up $20 a week in the last few years.  I'm not sure that is a correct figure.  But whatever it is it is still below the poverty line and the cost of living is still rising.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:36am

Aqua I want YOU to get off your ARSE and create 620,000 jobs so we have no more unemployed in Australia.
Then stop bringing in more people to Australia in a rate greater than our job vacancies can cope with.

Let us all know when the penny finally drops for you.
I for one wont be holding my breath.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm

Newstart might not be much. But it keeps me fed. It pays my rent and food. Everything else I buy comes out of my wages.

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:59pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:36am:
Aqua I want YOU to get off your ARSE and create 620,000 jobs so we have no more unemployed in Australia.
Then stop bringing in more people to Australia in a rate greater than our job vacancies can cope with.

In some countries they have an unemployment program called Starvation. Basically, you take any job that's available, and stop whining about how great your s--t smells when you can't get the job you want, or your starve and die. Not surprisingly, unemployment is very low in such countries!

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:09pm

minarchist wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:59pm:

In some countries they have an unemployment program called Starvation. Basically, you take any job that's available, and stop whining about how great your s--t smells when you can't get the job you want, or your starve and die. Not surprisingly, unemployment is very low in such countries!

And when there are more people unemployed than there are jobs available - what then?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:11pm

uh, no its not. Unemployment is very high in such countries. Im not calling you an idiot yet until I receive further evidence.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:09pm:

And when there are more people unemployed than there are jobs available - what then?

I'm curious.

For some reason a lot of people cant understand this concept.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:24pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm:

I'm curious.

For some reason a lot of people cant understand this concept.

Spot

Year 9 maths, innit?

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 5:41pm

I'm curious.

They got nothin' gweggy...
not even an ounce of understanding. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print