Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Thai kids stuck in a cave (Read 18620 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Thai kids stuck in a cave
Reply #75 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 11:31pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:36pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:10pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:08pm:
I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here. 

I am quite sure all this stuff has been dealt with on site.  So water came in......bloody good pumps can make water go out.

Water does not go up hill.

They have bloody good pumps if you read the story. They are not bloody well good enough.

1.  Ensure air supply.
2.  "Yer gonna need a bigger pump."
3.  Get the bigger pump.

Yeah,  80s Australian soft rock will make all the difference.

I'm all out of love

Perhaps they should pour sugar and fruit flavour in the water and call in Salt and Peppa?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:56am

Setanta wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:29pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:10pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 10:08pm:

I am quite sure all this stuff has been dealt with on site.  So water came in......bloody good pumps can make water go out.

Water does not go up hill.

They have bloody good pumps if you read the story. They are not bloody well good enough.

1.  Ensure air supply.
2.  "Yer gonna need a bigger pump."
3.  Get the bigger pump.

Perhaps you should lead this rescue mission, they have expertise from multiple countries trying to get them out and you know better. Jump on a plane and tell them how to do it Aussie.

Far cough.

Quote:

I am quite sure all this stuff has been dealt with on site.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:56am

I am just glad we havent got someone claiming this is FAKE news already..

its bad enough some appear to not have the ability to see everything that is being done  if for the safety of those boys... and for no other reason...

I am so thankful they have been found and they are no longer alone and in the dark...... some are not well at all...just think they may rescue some and not others....whatever and however they do it .. THERE WILL BE MASSIVE RISK......who would be in the shoes of those making those calls????>..

come on guys   pray this ends well for everyone.....

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 6:33pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:18pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:13pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 9:02pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 1:38pm:
"Thai authorities say a Navy SEAL working to rescue the boys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave has died from lack of oxygen."

Cry

Yes read that this afternoon.

Makes you wonder about the boys chances when one of the experts dies.

Yeah.

I'm really worried for them.

I wish they could drill down and lift them up through a chimney.

The diving option just doesn't sound good.

Someone mentioned drugging them, and then dragging them out.

That might not be such a bad idea.

If they start to panic when going under water - and wouldn't we all - things could go south real quick.

Fingers crossed they all get out safe.

I'm thinking full face masks so voice intercom can be used, plus a low dose of valium.

Yep.

I think drugs need to play a part.

If it was me, I'd be freaking out.

I can't imagine what it would be like for a kid who can't even swim.

Are they Muslims?

You idiot  Angry

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 11:43am

Looks like the rescue is under way.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 12:26pm

The rescue attempt is expected to get under way later today. Journalists were asked to leave the site this morning with a new media centre set up 3km away. Thai authorities confirmed the decision was made so that a rescue operation can take place.

It will be a nervous wait when emergency workers make the descent into the caves. Without a reliable source of communication we may not know if the operation has been a success until the divers re-emerge about 12 hours later.

US and Australian divers have reportedly joined the Thai Navy as workers prepare for the rescue attempt. Among them is Adelaide anaethetist and diving expert Dr Richard Harris.

The plight of the trapped group has made news around the world since they became stranded in a cramped chamber of the Tham Luang cave complex on June 23.

Earlier, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk tweeted he was flying a “tiny, kid-sized submarine” over to Thailand after mulling over a number of different ideas to help the rescue effort.

“Primary path is basically a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull. Light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps. Extremely robust,” he wrote.

Previously, Musk and his tech team were discussing an “escape pod design” or “inflatable tube” to get the boys and their coach out

“Now and in the next three or four days, the conditions are perfect (for evacuation) in terms of the water, the weather and the boys’ health,” rescue operation chief Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

“We have to make a clear decision on what we can do.”

Mr Osottanakorn said officials are “still at the state of war against the water” and that no plans are perfect.

“All the plans must not have any holes in them,” he said, noting that “hundreds of people have vetted this” and “there will always be margins for error.”

He said authorities are waiting for two big groups of volunteer divers to arrive later today, after which they’ll be ready to begin the operation of bringing them out.

He says: “The plan that I’ve held on to from the beginning is that we have to bring the kids out and the determining factor of this plan is to have as little water as possible.”

He said floodwaters have been drained as much as possible, “but if it rains and adds to it again, we don’t know what other risk factors we will have to face.”

He also warned about higher carbon dioxide levels in the cave.

The young soccer coach who has been trapped for two weeks inside a partially flooded Thai cave with his team of 12 boys has apologised to the parents of the boys in a scrawled note released by the Thai Navy.

“To the parents of all the kids, right now the kids are all fine, the crew are taking good care,” Ekapol Chanthawong wrote. “I promise I will care for the kids as best as possible. I want to say thanks for all the support and I want to apologise to the parents.”

A total of seven pages were posted on the Thai Navy SEALs Facebook page, with messages apparently from each of the boys — aged 11 to 16 — and their 25-year-old coach.

Their brief notes express gratitude, love as well as dreams of food. “I want to eat pan-fried pork,” one of the boys writes.

“Don’t worry, everyone is strong”, one letter read. “When we get out of here, we want to eat many things. We want to go home as soon as possible,” adds the message.

The group has been trapped more than 4km inside the cave in northern Thailand since June 23.

well done everyone   its now or never....

what these kids have been through  this swim could be a walk in the park for them.......I pray it is.. Kiss Kiss Kisslove and kisses  from Australia,..

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm

how many Billionaires do we have in the world??

and yet its only Elon Musk that ever puts his hand up to help...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #82 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:26pm:

Well, there are plenty of foreign volunteers there.

One English guy who owns a diving company in Ko Tao has moved every last piece of diving equipment there.

I'm not saying Musk isn't genuine in his offers for to help, but remember everything he does incorporates an element of show business.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm

Not everything is reported in the 6 o'clock "news", and not all philanthropists like to go public.

In fact, most don't.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:18pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

Not everything is reported in the 6 o'clock "news", and not all philanthropists like to go public.

In fact, most don't.

that is so true......what have you done mechanic???...other than make cracks like that?..

money actually wouldnt change much.....the heros are all there risking their lives for no payment...all they want is 12 kids and their coach back home.....

Elon Musk is in fact sending engineers well done to him

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:51pm

No, I think Mr Trump offered to send some golf course developers in, Mechanic.

His thoughts and his prayers are with the families, you see.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:55pm

cods wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 2:18pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

In fact, most don't.

that is so true......what have you done mechanic???...other than make cracks like that  

Now now, dear, the Mechanic has lobbied extensively to keep people like that out of America.

BUILD THE WALL.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

One English guy who owns a diving company in Ko Tao has moved every last piece of diving equipment there.

I'm not saying Musk isn't genuine in his offers for to help, but remember everything he does incorporates an element of show business.

yeah I realise that theres a massive effort on the part of cave Divers around the world... including australia... they are hero's...

but sometimes we need someone who has got a great idea and money to back it... like Musk's mini sub.... if it works sounds like a great idea...

if he gets publicity who cares ... as long as they get the kids out...

in the mean time... what other Billionaire has put his hand up to actually do something useful to help in this crisis??

im betting they are sending thoughts and prayers...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:52pm

Quote:
Elon Musk is sending a team of SpaceX and Boring Company engineers to Thailand to help rescue efforts for the twelve boys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave.

Several of Musk's companies could potentially be put to use rescuing the boys,
including the radar location technology from the Boring Co. and SpaceX, plus drills and pumps to drain water and high-power Tesla Powerwall battery packs.

Boring Co. is a venture that is building tunnels for high-speed urban transportation.

The Thai government released a statement Friday on Facebook confirming that Musk's team will arrive in Chiang Rai on Saturday. Tesla confirmed that he is in talks with Thailand officials.

A soccer team of twelve boys and their coach went missing late last month, only to be found on Monday trapped in a cave flooded by heavy rains. Many of the passageways leading into the cave are narrow, and most of the boys do not know how to swim.

And the situation is growing more desperate: A former Thai Navy SEAL died from lack of oxygen on Friday while attempting to replace oxygen canisters for the boys.

The Tesla and SpaceX CEO tweeted on Wednesday that he was "happy to help" the Thai government's rescue efforts, and by Thursday he was pitching ideas over Twitter with James Yenbamroong, CEO of Thai space startup mu Space Corp, about potential strategies that could work.

"Maybe worth trying: insert a 1m diameter nylon tube (or shorter set of tubes for most difficult sections) through cave network & inflate with air like a bouncy castle," Musk tweeted Thursday. "Should create an air tunnel underwater against cave roof & auto-conform to odd shapes like the 70cm hole."

Great idea... run a liner through the tunnel and pump it clear of water... kids walk out...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:29pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:34pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 1:36pm:

yeah I realise that theres a massive effort on the part of cave Divers around the world... including australia... they are hero's...

but sometimes we need someone who has got a great idea and money to back it... like Musk's mini sub.... if it works sounds like a great idea...

if he gets publicity who cares ... as long as they get the kids out...

in the mean time... what other Billionaire has put his hand up to actually do something useful to help in this crisis??

im betting they are sending thoughts and prayers...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWCCiSQVMAA8lB_.jpg

we seriously have no idea how bad it all is... 4 kl is a long way to be under rock and water....on paper I am sure everything looks easy peasy....I have faith in what they are doing   is the best way.....
for the safety of everyone    having lost one diver   it makes it even more  daunting...

they couldnt pay me enough money to go in there...I am in awe!!!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26
Send Topic Print