Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Thai kids stuck in a cave (Read 18629 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Thai kids stuck in a cave
Reply #285 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:15am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 10:04am:
Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:51am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Gordon wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:05am:
Apparently it's started pissing down in the area. Good timing but unfortunately it will enforce the belief that prayers were instrumental in weather control.

Also good news is that Julie Bishop has said their will be some kind of formal recognition for Richard Harris. AO I reckon!

Bishop, again?

Why is she getting involved in this?

Any foreign minister would be talking about this. Good on her for giving him a pat on the back.

Ms Bishop said Dr Harris is internationally renowned for his cave rescue expertise, and heads up a cave rescue operation.

She said the South Australian anaesthetist is well known to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for his help on their medical assistance teams during natural disasters in the Pacific region and his time working at the Port Villa hospital in Vanuatu with the Australian Aid program.

Ms Bishop said the government was "just delighted" with the work of Dr Harris and his dive parter Craig Challen, who is a vet from Perth.

"Between them, and the rest of the Australian team, I believe we were an integral part to the overall rescue," she said.

Crap.

But I'm willing to listen to your reasoning.

Please don't tell me your argument is: "she's the foreign minister, and this happened in a foreign country".

Gordon?

Your argument IS "she's the foreign minister, and this happened in a foreign country", isn't it?

Oh dear   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #286 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:36am

Apparently elon musk isnt happy they didnt use his sub

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #287 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 11:38am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:39pm:
Aussie wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:29pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 10th, 2018 at 8:20pm:
11 out.

It will be nicely symbolic if the last man out is the Coach.

The doctor will be the last one out.

It would be nice if they could put Julie Bishop in there, in his place.

Seriously - why is she giving interviews about this on TV?

"The Australian doctor who was the last man out of the Thai cave following the rescue of the Wild Boars soccer team ..."

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #288 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 12:17pm

Horrible news.

The Australian doctor's father died overnight   Cry

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #289 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:07pm

Tragic for him after that great effort.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #290 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:25pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 11th, 2018 at 9:48am:
Saw her yesterday arvo on 4 pm News....

thought ... Oh f*#k off Bishop what's it got to do with you, you grandstanding cow.

She's grandstanding yet the people here saying the same are not?  Huh?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #291 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:32pm

Nice of the PM to acknowledge the efforts of the Australian volunteers.  A few AOs are in order I reckon

PM praises 'heroic' efforts of Australian rescuers in Thailand

In a speech to the Queensland Press Club, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has praised the efforts of the 20 Australians who helped the rescue mission at Tham Luang cave.

"I want to thank them on behalf of a very, very grateful nation," he said

The Prime Minister said the giant rescue mission, run by the Thai military but involving expert volunteers from around the world, was "one of the most heroic and inspiring episodes of our time."

"It's hard to imagine anything more frightening than being trapped underground in the dark, let alone having your children trapped underground in the dark," he said.

"And the courage of those men and women who affected that rescue, the Thai Navy SEALs, the British divers, the Australian divers, and doctors ... they worked together with their international partners in a way that is an inspiration, an inspiration, to all of us."

Mr Turnbull said he had thanked the Australian rescuers in private for their help.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #292 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:40pm

In a speech to the Queensland Press Club, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has praised the efforts of the 20 Australians who helped the rescue mission at Tham Luang cave.

"I want to thank them on behalf of a very, very grateful Liberal Party," he said

"With Asbestos Julie jumping on the bandwagon, we should be able to fool the public into believing that we were somehow involved in the rescue and therefore improve our chances at the upcoming by-elections and federal election".

IP Logged

JollyGreenGiant

Australian Politics

Reply #293 - Jul 11th, 2018 at 3:59pm

All's well that ends well. Sad about the Dr's Dad.

Prime Ministers are expected to "say something", as are Foreign Ministers regarding an event that Aussies are involved in, in a Foreign Country.

I did notice that Bishop is looking a little "odd" ... she is in her 60's and still trying to appear to be 45? Must say that it is not a good look.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #294 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:04pm

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jul/11/thai-cave-rescue-navy-seals-say-mis...

Disaster almost struck right at the very end- "they heard screams in the cave as the  water started to rise-"

Quote:
Thailand cave rescue
Thai cave rescue: Navy Seals say mission came 'close to disaster'
Rescuers who freed Wild Boars team from Tham Luang cave tell of dangers that included heavy rain and low oxygen

How the Thai cave rescue unfolded - video
The 12 boys whose rescue from a cave in northern Thailand this week captivated the world, have had a tearful reunion with their parents as it was revealed just how close the mission came to disaster.

Footage released by Thai authorities on Wednesday evening showed the 12 children and Ekkapol Chantawong, the 25-year-old football coach trapped with them, in hospital beds wearing surgical masks, clasping their palms in gratitude to the camera.

Thailand cave rescue: how did the boys get out?
Read more
Another clip showed the boys’ parents watching them from behind a window, waving and wiping away tears of joy and relief.

The reunions, experienced at a distance or through glass because the boys must be cleared of potential infections, were broadcast as part of a nationally televised press conference about the rescue of the members of the Wild Boars football club.

Authorities gave further details of the 17-day operation to free the boys from the Tham Luang cave in the Doi Nang Non mountain range, framing it as a battle against the elements.

When the boys’ bikes were first discovered outside the cave, rescuers initially thought the mission to find the children would be straightforward. They learned otherwise a few days into the search when heavy rain filled the cave faster then expected, forcing even navy personnel to retreat.

“We fought and were defeated, losing space to the water,” said Narongsak Osatanakorn, head of the joint command centre coordinating the operation.

Navy Seals began deep forays into the cave but were hindered by the muddy conditions, narrow paths and high water levels. “The cave was unlike anything we had ever experienced, it was so dark,” said Apakorn Youkongkaew, a rear admiral in the Thai navy.

Talented and resilient: the Wild Boars footballers trapped in Thai cave
Read more
So challenging were the conditions that, for 23 hours, the Seals lost contact with two teams they sent into the cave, he said.

A week into the search their efforts to pump rain water out of the cave were proving fruitless. They called for heavier-duty equipment and a contingent of expert cave divers from the UK, Australia, China, US and Europe.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #295 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:36pm

I wish I could put up the pics from the Telegraph  taken during the rescue  I didnt know the boys were put to sleep  during a certain stage.....its it without a doubt the most amazing rescue  right up until the very last moment where the rescuers  had to scramble for their lives....

didnt the world work well together????.....

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #296 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:48pm

cods wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:36pm:
I wish I could put up the pics from the Telegraph  taken during the rescue  I didnt know the boys were put to sleep  during a certain stage.....its it without a doubt the most amazing rescue  right up until the very last moment where the rescuers  had to scramble for their lives....

didnt the world work well together????.....

It was a great effort, yes.

After the swim, I think the boys were given more Valium (or similar) and then strapped into a stretcher.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #297 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:56pm

The presence of a cave diving expert who also happen to be an anesthesiologist can not be overstated.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #298 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:58pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 12th, 2018 at 1:56pm:
The presence of a cave diving expert who also happen to be an anesthesiologist can not be overstated.

Indeed.

What did one guy say: "a unique cross skill set" ?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #299 - Jul 12th, 2018 at 2:25pm

Dr Richard Harris ( from Adelaide)  lost his father on this rescue and I heard that he was on his way up past where I live - as there are a lot of underground caves on the Nullabor near here  that he dives in- that was to be his holiday but then he got the call about the Thai boys- I call him Prince Harry now- and he is a ranga ( Prince Harry was my secret crush)  Wink

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26
Send Topic Print