Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms (Read 4166 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:19pm

Poor selfish aussies. Can't do without polluting and ecological destroying plastic bags at their local supermarket. My heart bleeds for them even though Aldis have been doing this from the outset !!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/furious-shoppers-attack-supermar...

Quote:
New plastic bag ban sparks backlash and praise from Aussie shoppers

AS the plastic bag ban came into effect today, some angry shoppers were already threatening to boycott the supermarket.

MANY enraged Australian shoppers have taken to social media to slam supermarket giant Coles’ decision to ban single-use plastic bags from check-outs from today onwards.

The controversial new rules saw the traditional free plastic shopping bags vanish from stores once the clock ticked past midnight.

From now on, Coles shoppers around the country will need to bring their own reusable bags to transport their groceries, or fork out 15c for a range of reusable bags available for purchase at check-outs.

But while a Coles spokesman described the ban as “the right thing to do for our environment” on Friday, some Aussies have since accused the corporation of using the ban as a money-making ploy, while others threatened to boycott the chain in protest.

The backlash follows yesterday’s announcement from SDA National, the union for workers in retail, fast food and warehousing, that a female Woolworths staff member was strangled and sworn at by a male customer who disagreed with the company’s bag ban at Woolworths Greenfields at Mandurah, Western Australia late last month.

The union is calling for angry shoppers to treat retail staff with respect despite so-called “plastic bag rage”.

However, when news.com.au visited Coles Waterloo in inner Sydney early this morning, the scene was calm with a number of shoppers already armed with their own reusable bags.

One said it was “about time” single-use plastic bags were banned, while another added it was “a positive step” towards a more sustainable future.

While much of the social media reaction has been negative, there has also been plenty of praise for the ban, with some saying it should have been introduced sooner, and others claiming people who complained about ditching plastic bags were simply “lazy”.

Others also pointed out plastic bag bans have successfully been introduced in various locations around the world — and in South Australia — without fuss.

Many shoppers told news.com.au via Twitter that they supported the ban, with one posting: “Reducing our carbon footprint is extremely important” while another added the ban was “very long overdue”, and another stating: “Soon enough it will be the new normal.”

Despite the social media backlash, Coles’ chief operating officer Greg Davis told news.com.au a “large proportion” of shoppers remembered to bring their own bags today, and that many customers had provided “positive feedback” regarding the change.

“We are sincerely grateful to all of our Coles customers who have been part of the transition this weekend. Our team members have worked hard to ensure all registers have been open to make it easy for customers to shop with us,” he said.

“Our community bags have proven extremely popular and a large proportion of shoppers have come to our stores prepared with their own bags.

“Customers have welcomed our investment in opening all supermarket check outs across Australia today and our Coles online and liquor customers have also provided positive feedback about the change.”

Mr Davis said staff would “continue to work hard to help customers through this transition”.

Coles will have extra staff on hand to man all check-outs until 6pm today in an effort to help customers cope with the change, while additional check-outs will be open between 9am and 9pm in NSW and Victoria, and from 9am to 7pm in Queensland and Western Australia until July 8.

Both Coles and Woolworths committed to a June 30, 2018 deadline for removing single-use plastic bags last year, although Woolworths has temporarily delayed its ban following significant customer backlash.

The backflip will see free reusable plastic bags handed out to customers until July 8 after many customers refused to pay for new reusable ones altogether.

Both grocery heavyweights have also pledged to slash the amount of plastic used in packaging and wrapping, with Coles also vowing to halve food waste and make all its own-brand packaging recyclable by 2020.

Meanwhile, two of Australia’s biggest retailers, Kmart and Target, have both refused to adopt the plastic bag ban despite other major chains following suit.

The discount department store chains, which are both owned by Wesfarmers, which also owns Coles, will instead keep single-use bags in stores until an unknown date in 2019.

Woolworths, and its liquor brand BWS, ditched the bags on June 20 while Coles, IGA and Woolworths-owned department store Big W all binned the bags today.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:28pm

Was talking to someone we know at Coles in Lismore Square today, they've been getting abused for not providing bags even though there has been countdowns to no plastic bags for ages with signs out the front. Some spit the dummy and refuse to pay 15c for the new bags and leave their groceries. It's not as if they made the policy but they certainly cop the flack for it. There're some stupid people on this planet.

They make great bin bags so we grabbed a heap the evening before they stopped using them.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:36pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Was talking to someone we know at Coles in Lismore Square today, they've been getting abused for not providing bags even though there has been countdowns to no plastic bags for ages with signs out the front. Some spit the dummy and refuse to pay 15c for the new bags and leave their groceries. It's not as if they made the policy but they certainly cop the flack for it. There're some stupid people on this planet.

They make great bin bags so we grabbed a heap the evening before they stopped using them.

Ppl are stoopid. I haven't used supermarket bags for ages.
I Keep a few flexible tubs in the back of the car then unload straight from the trolly into the tubs.

I reckon the supermarket bags are crap for the bin, they split and leak.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:45pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:36pm:

I Keep a few flexible tubs in the back of the car then unload straight from the trolly into the tubs.

We use them for a few bins around the house. Nappy bin in bathroom, recyclable plastics like cling wrap, bin beside my computer desk that gets paper. I find them really handy.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 3:26am

Where can I buy some bin liners?

Oh, maybe the supermarket sells them.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 6:17am

i think this is confirmation of just how wonderful market capitalism is at achieving a utopia.

for most of human history, you had to worry about being attacked by a neighbouring tribe with a spear, or torn to shreds by a wild animal.

even 150 years ago, you needed to have 12 kids so a couple might survive

you had painful medical treatment, had to go fetch water from the river to drink, you probably went to bed hungry, cold and wet on many many occasions.

but along comes capitalism and markets and free trade and in the space of a generation or two, your BIGGEST gripe is that you have to remember to take a re-useable bag to get your supplies which are available to all 24 hours a day.

if that doesnt make you fall to your knees with joy for being the luckiest mother f'er to ever walk the planet , then you dont understand much about the world
if that doesnt make you resolve to never complain about anything for the rest of your life, you simply arent paying attention.

but human beings are strange creatures.

quite self destructive and they will undoubtedly find a way to create the chaos and pain that their subconscious desires.

destroying the australian economy and environment with over population of migration and making electricity so dear thru virtue signalling to "the paris agreement' should see the re emergence of chaos and pain.

then you'll have a lot more to worry about then remembering your re useable bag

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 6:20am

Quote:
Coles will have extra staff on hand to man all check-outs until 6pm today in an effort to help customers cope with the change, while additional check-outs will be open between 9am and 9pm in NSW and Victoria, and from 9am to 7pm in Queensland and Western Australia until July 8.

Really? Why not have them open whenever the shop is open? Whats it got to do with plastic bags?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:12am

I picked up some take-out last week, in a "reusable" plastic bag. Just like the old ones, but the plastic was probably about ten times as thick. Obviously'y it's not going to be re-used for anything if it is covered in food.

Now we have to buy bin liners. They only get used once now.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:59am

For years I've been refusing bags when I can, specially when buying a bit of clothing or a book,  most of the checkout staff would look at me like I lost my mind and  some still putting my purchases in a bag...
Buying from most speciality shops they love big thick bags with their brand on it.
So will be interesting to see the change. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:04am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:59am:
For years I've been refusing bags when I can, specially when buying a bit of clothing or a book,  most of the checkout staff would look at me like I lost my mind and  some still putting my purchases in a bag...
Buying from most speciality shops they love big thick bags with their brand on it.
So will be interesting to see the change. Wink Wink

The big thick bags with the brands on them may not stop

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:10am

freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:12am:
I picked up some take-out last week, in a "reusable" plastic bag. Just like the old ones, but the plastic was probably about ten times as thick. Obviously'y it's not going to be re-used for anything if it is covered in food.

Exactly!

It's achieved nothing (except extra profits for Coles and Woolies).

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:13am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:10am:

Exactly!

I know a lot of ppl that have been buying bin liners for years and chucking away the food bags ... so it will make a difference.  Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:16am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:13am:

Exactly!

I know a lot of ppl that have been buying bin liners for years and chucking away the food bags ... so it will make a difference.  Wink Wink

No difference at my place, except now I have to pay for my bin liners (not that the money bothers me).

First world problems   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:29am

I think the overall effect will be less plastic. I found the supermarket bags to have a high failure rate. Many rip and couldn't be used as bin liners and often they'd fail as bin liners and you'd need a second one.

I'd prefer no bags and just buy the bin liner.

IBI

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:42am

Used our own bags for years. Got fed up with getting rid of the plastic ones the shop supplied........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #15 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:04am

Amadd wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 3:26am:

Yeah, that is the other issue. Getting Australia to become non-reliant on plastic anything. Got any suggestions? Biodegradable wrappings?

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:18am

What kind of plastic bin liners would they sell?  Country or western?

It is quite normal for sane adults to demonstrate some resentfulness when their lives are being screwed over by a corporate marketing scam.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:49am

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:45pm:

We use them for a few bins around the house. Nappy bin in bathroom, recyclable plastics like cling wrap, bin beside my computer desk that gets paper. I find them really handy.

I use the shopping bags in kitchen garbage bin, I have been collecting them for quite a few months I have a large supply.

Coles and Woolies had bins to recycle these shopping bags so what was the problem with them?

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:51am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:49am:

I use the shopping bags in kitchen garbage bin, I have been collecting them for quite a few months I have a large supply.

Coles and Woolies had bins to recycle these shopping bags so what was the problem with them?

They weren't making them money.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 12:24pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:49am:

The mixed-up shop down the road was still giving them away last time I made the mistake of needing to go there.  They get one of their retard nephews to sit there out the back with a pair of scissors and cut a little triangular hole in the bottom of each bag, so they can't be used for kitchen scraps or they'll leak potato-peel juice on the tiles .. unless you double-bag left-over right.  He always cuts around 1/3 in from one side so it can be done, but it just means two bags to do the job of one.

What is the political meaning of that?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 12:33pm

they banned plastic bags then charge you to use them-  never  use them anymore

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:27pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:04am:

Yeah, that is the other issue. Getting Australia to become non-reliant on plastic anything. Got any suggestions? Biodegradable wrappings?

shops in ACT havent given away plastic bags for yonks.....seriously   a mile down the road in Queanbeyan  they were still using plastic bags for groceries....yet we had to buy them.....

it is a scam thats for sure... A GREENs scam  yes we have a green govt.. mixed with labor.....they do not believe in free plastic shopping bags   but its ok to cut down a whole avenue of trees.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

and it also ok for rich developers to cut down masses of trees.....

oh the trees dont make paper btw   they are shredded 
and used for infil somewhere... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

makes sense to some!

what doesnt come in plastic anymore???>..even my plastic food containers come wrapped in plastic....

does anyone know how to get a new toothbrush out of their plastic packaging   without the use of a chainsaw?... Angry Angry

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #22 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:37pm

cods wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:27pm:

shops in ACT havent given away plastic bags for yonks.....seriously   a mile down the road in Queanbeyan  they were still using plastic bags for groceries....yet we had to buy them.....

it is a scam thats for sure... A GREENs scam  yes we have a green govt.. mixed with labor.....they do not believe in free plastic shopping bags   but its ok to cut down a whole avenue of trees.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

makes sense to some!

what doesnt come in plastic anymore???>..even my plastic food containers come wrapped in plastic....

does anyone know how to get a new toothbrush out of their plastic packaging   without the use of a chainsaw?... Angry Angry

What do the shops in Fyshwick wrap their products in?

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:38pm

makes sense to some!

This is how I usually handle that sort of packaging:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:44pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:38pm:
[quote author=ID999 link=1530447551/4#4 date=1530466007]Where can I buy some bin liners?

makes sense to some!

This is how I usually handle that sort of packaging:

Toothbrushes are usually easy because the back is paper and you just pop them thru the back.

This sorta works, not always.

IBI

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 1:59pm

My family does most of its shopping at Aldi and has done so for years. However, in the greater scheme of things the banning of plastic bags is just another "Pissing on a Bushfire" environmental scheme that does little in reducing either landfill or garbage dotting the environment, let alone stop the accumulation of garbage in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Unless you're planning on going back to "the Good Ole' Days" of either buying everything in glass or tin containers and bagging everything else that wasn't, then there's no point in being so smug about the Bag Ban as you're still buying a tonne of crap that's wrapped in plastic, and in many cases it's the most sensible and hygienic choice. Also, what happens to your "reusable" bag once it is broken - do you just throw it out?

I think if we really wanted to eliminate garbage that has no value in being recycled then we'd have it processed in such a way that it can be utilised as a fuel for small scale power generation.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:05pm

That's exactly what I used them for ... so in effect they were reusable.

My daughter used them for dirty nappy disposal

I also used them to put fish & crab pot bait in to freeze.

None were just thrown out after going grocery shopping... they were all stored for future use ...

including repacking with groceries/supplies we would put into large container tubs to take camping ... those then reused for garbage whilst away.

I believe that the non biodegradable plastics used in wrappings/containers around grocery items & the plastic in reusable bags is a bigger problem ... that along with plastics around toys, hardware & electronic items.

At least the biodegradable bags would breakdown in sunlight & turn to dust in a couple of months or less.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:17pm by Gnads »  

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm

I've been using Aldi's reusable bags for years

Get over it! All these lazy polluters whose garbage ends up in the oceans killing off the marine life or in landfill which never break down!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm

Oh the irony ey?  Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:11pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:13am:

Exactly!

Yeah well they're dills ey

bin liners are made from the same shyte plastics as the bags they used to hand out ...

they were never free .... their cost was always factored into overheads & that would be reflected in the price of groceries ...

which will not be adjusted .... so with having to buy reusable bags - plastic or cloth ....

they are double dipping. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:12pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:29am:
I think the overall effect will be less plastic. I found the supermarket bags to have a high failure rate. Many rip and couldn't be used as bin liners and often they'd fail as bin liners and you'd need a second one.

I'd prefer no bags and just buy the bin liner.

Surely you're joking?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:14pm

The smarter ones amongst you should view this as the start of the end of single use plastics. Get used  to it, single use plastic has to disappear. Purchasing plastic bin liners instead is just stupidity. Get used to living plastic free, change your lazy
ways.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:16pm

makes sense to some!

They never ever gave them away ... their cost was always factored into the cost of your groceries.

It's the same with the fuel shopper dockets scam.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #33 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:16pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:14pm:
The smarter ones amongst you should view this as the start of the end of single use plastics. Get used  to it, single use plastic has to disappear. Purchasing plastic bin liners instead is just stupidity. Get used to living plastic free, change your lazy
ways.

Yes! Rhino has it! Use paper bags in your bins! Save the planet!

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:19pm

red baron wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm:

Get over it! All these lazy polluters whose garbage ends up in the oceans killing off the marine life or in landfill which never break down!

Yeah well how about they start in SE Asia & 3rd world countries?  Roll Eyes

They're massive plastic polluters.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm

I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm

ways.

Impossible.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:21pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:19pm:

Yeah well how about they start in SE Asia & 3rd world countries?  Roll Eyes

They're massive plastic polluters.
western countries started the use of single use plastics, not Asian. Leading by example is not such a bad thing.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didnt anyone tell them it was impossible?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #39 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:37pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm:
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didnt anyone tell them it was impossible?

Metal and glass and even leather

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #40 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 4:49pm

… a female Woolworths staff member was strangled and sworn at by a male customer who disagreed with the company’s bag ban at Woolworths Greenfields at Mandurah, Western Australia late last month.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/furious-shoppers-attack-supermar...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:43pm

ways.

Impossible.

We are living in completely different times.

Do you support the removal of workers penalty rates & attacks on wages & conditions in the downward spiral back to the days 50 years ago & further?

We'll have the kids back down the mine next just to assist you with your nostalgia.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #42 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:41pm

ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didn't anyone tell them it was impossible?

HOPEFULLY, those damned styrene trays in the meat and fruit departments will be next to be given the arse !

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:07pm

You have to use each bag about 50 times just to break even on plastic consumption. You were putting a lot of effort into negative results. It is basically the supermarket selling you a warm and fuzzy while further harming the environment.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm

ways.

Impossible.

I remember my mum going to the fruit and veggie shop....where you were served you didnt serve yourself..she would buy the spuds the guy would weigh them up and tip them into her canvas bag...if anything needed wrapping it was in  newspaper....

then it all went posh and it was brown paper bags....then they became they were taken over by the dreaded plastic bag...

what annoys me the most is   we the consumer never asked for these changes    they were all basically forced on us....then suddenly they become a NO NO and we the consumer  get to pay for it all over again...

the whole packaging thing has now got completely out of control.....has anyone bought a kids toy that comes in a smart box usually with a try me sign on it.. saying its for the under 2s... and when you get it home it takes two of you, a pair of scissors, a saw and screwdriver. to get the thing open.... Angry Angry Angry Angry

I have never seen packaging like it....I bought some batteries the other day,...dont ask me I think they are still lying in a corner somewhere.. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:45pm

cods wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm:
ways.

Impossible.

I remember my mum going to the fruit and veggie shop....where you were served you didnt serve yourself..she would buy the spuds the guy would weigh them up and tip them into her canvas bag...if anything needed wrapping it was in  newspaper....

then it all went posh and it was brown paper bags....then they became they were taken over by the dreaded plastic bag...

what annoys me the most is   we the consumer never asked for these changes    they were all basically forced on us....then suddenly they become a NO NO and we the consumer  get to pay for it all over again...

the whole packaging thing has now got completely out of control.....has anyone bought a kids toy that comes in a smart box usually with a try me sign on it.. saying its for the under 2s... and when you get it home it takes two of you, a pair of scissors, a saw and screwdriver. to get the thing open.... Angry Angry Angry Angry

I have never seen packaging like it....I bought some batteries the other day,...dont ask me I think they are still lying in a corner somewhere.. Angry Angry Angry

In 1958, Asbestos was the first miracle of modern science listed in the Giant Encyclopaedia of World Knowledge, which my father got for his tenth birthday and then gifted to me for my tenth too.  Asbestos!  The greatest modern invention man has ever invented!  (This was before colour tv which Australia didn't get until 1975.  I reckon that we all thought color was better than asbestos in 1975.)

Now here's the thing, Cods.  Plastic is the greatest invention that man has ever invented ever since yesterday.  We all asked for it.  We all wanted it.  We threw out the newspapers and fell in love with plastic frucking bags, one and all of us.

Don't expect every Australian to suddenly drop their holy religion that tells them how to live their entire lives, and give up on their entire history just to please some green wanker who likes to fondle gay baby whales.  It is expecting too much from plain old simple human nature, and that is the nature of Australia - HUMAN nature.

The other problem is that this anti-plastic shopping-bag scam is an ABC trick to hide the fact that Australia is running out of decent hard-working Australians who will delve through all these yuppies' garbage to pick out the stuff to keep from the stuff to feed to those gay whales.

When I was young, (as they all say), we used to wear around four new pairs of cotton gloves per day, and the garbage would come in on the tines of a forklift in frigging potato bins.  The two biggest fingers on both my hands are twisted inward because when I was working in the recycling business, I was the best, and I could pick eight(8) YES! eight flagons out of a potato bin in one dive.  I remember what the recyling business was like as a 'first-responder' in 1989.  Things have certainly changed now.

The reason that we are getting all political about the innocuous plastic shopping bags which 90% of Australians do not throw to the whales is that there are not enough tough hard workers left in this country to do the dirty work, and so we have sold it all off to China, but now they have all gone and got degrees too, so there is no one who wants to lower themselves and do the hard work in this world anymore .

We only want to consume now, Cods.

(I have a right to retire.  I am old)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:08pm

Oceans full of
NEW
shopping bags issued by Coles & Woolworths.

Millions of bright
green shopping bags
are being found in Oceans around the world, killing baby fur seals, turtles and the odd Nudibranch.

What has come of the world.  Cry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:54pm

freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:07pm:

You have to use each bag about 50 times just to break even on plastic consumption. You were putting a lot of effort into negative results. It is basically the supermarket selling you a warm and fuzzy while further harming the environment.

A plastic bag is a plastic bag, Im not sure what you mean by "break even". If you are using the same one 50 times then that means there are 50 less plastic bags in use. Its not a negative result. This is about preventing single use plastic consumption.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:57pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:43pm:
ways.

Impossible.

Do you support the removal of workers penalty rates & attacks on wages & conditions in the downward spiral back to the days 50 years ago & further?

We'll have the kids back down the mine next just to assist you with your nostalgia.   Roll Eyes
You seem a bit confused, as usual. This topic has nothing to do with penalty rates or kids down coal mines. You really are a dufus. No doubt you believe the plastic bag ban is some sort of conspiracy perpetuated by faceless villains aimed at eroding peoples rights.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:00am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didn't anyone tell them it was impossible?

HOPEFULLY, those damned styrene trays in the meat and fruit departments will be next to be given the arse !

agreed. And the clingfilm, just not necassary.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #50 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:19am

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:00am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
ways.

Impossible.

agreed. And the clingfilm, just not necassary.

Actually i think the clingfilm might be necessary - gotta keep the flies off the meat

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:57pm:
ways.

Impossible.

You seem a bit confused, as usual. This topic has nothing to do with penalty rates or kids down coal mines. You really are a dufus. No doubt you believe the plastic bag ban is some sort of conspiracy perpetuated by faceless villains aimed at eroding peoples rights.

I know who the dufus is .... crapping on about single plastic bag use .... when the biggest amount of single use plastic .... that is not biodegradable is in packaging of products .... & plastic bottled water & softdrinks.

you are only attacking the obvious ...

and all the rest sails under the radar.

As has been demonstrated here people reuse & reuse the "single" use plastic bags. Roll Eyes

And when disposed of properly should not end up in our water ways or oceans.

I doubt I'd want to be in line behind you in a supermarket when you've thrown your dirty old cloth or hemp bags up on the counter.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:08am

Gnads wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am:
ways.

Impossible.

I know who the dufus is .... crapping on about single plastic bag use .... when the biggest amount of single use plastic .... that is not biodegradable is in packaging of products .... & plastic bottled water & softdrinks.

As has been demonstrated here people reuse & reuse the "single" use plastic bags. Roll Eyes

I doubt I'd want to be in line behind you in a supermarket when you've thrown your dirty old cloth or hemp bags up on the counter.   
You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles. And has been demonstrated here the current plastic shopping bags dont get re used many times over, they may get re used once and then may go into landfill, where they take thousands of years to degrade. However the fact that its been demonstrated that the ocean is basically full of these things makes you look even more stupid. Its a no brainer really, I can see how you cant understand it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:17am

Quote:
Shocking study reveals 90% of global plastic waste comes from just TEN rivers in Asia and Africa

A shocking study has revealed 90 per cent of the world's plastic waste comes from just 10 rivers in Asia and Africa.
As governments around the world rush to address the global problem of plastic pollution in the oceans, researchers have now pinpointed the river systems that carry the majority of it out to sea.

About five trillion pounds is floating in the sea, and targeting the major sources - such as the Yangtze and the Ganges - could almost halve it, scientists claim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5910011/Plastic-bag-ban-criticised-90-ce...

Banning plastic bags in Australia will do stuff all in reducing plastic waste in the oceans

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:25am

Lol. No wonder other countries laugh at us, temper tantrums over a mild inconvenience. Conspiracy theorists, naysayers and the plain lazy all having their say about why it shouldnt happen. Get over it Princesses, plastic bags are banned, time to adapt. Imagine if any of you had to undergo something tough in life, you would collapse in a screaming heap. Interestingly enough it seems to be the hard right who are so emotionally affected by this issue.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:37am

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:25am:
Lol. No wonder other countries laugh at us, temper tantrums over a mild inconvenience. Conspiracy theorists, naysayers and the plain lazy all having their say about why it shouldnt happen. Get over it Princesses, plastic bags are banned, time to adapt. Imagine if any of you had to undergo something tough in life, you would collapse in a screaming heap. Interestingly enough it seems to be the hard right who are so emotionally affected by this issue.

First world problems.

The front page of the West the other day (no, I don't buy it) had a huge headline, something along the lines of 'Plastic Bag Outrage'.

Too funny.

At least it gives us a break from "Footballer Behaves Badly", or "Car Drives Through Fence and Into House".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:15pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:54pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:07pm:

A plastic bag is a plastic bag, Im not sure what you mean by "break even". If you are using the same one 50 times then that means there are 50 less plastic bags in use. Its not a negative result. This is about preventing single use plastic consumption.

A big component of the ecological footprint of plastic is the raw materials extraction and processing.

I was already getting more than one use out of conventional shopping bags, without the need to put 50 times as much plastic in them (to give the turtles and extra few years to choke to death on them). I am not going to start re-using bin liners or soiled bags.

ways.

Impossible.

It's a money grab by the supermarkets, selling us useless warm and fuzzies that probably do more harm to the environment than good, cheered on by idiots who are incapable of thinking things through, and now imposed on everyone by the government.

Quote:
You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles.

You do realise that you can re-use those water bottles too, don't you? I do. There is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or water bottle. Inconsiderate people are just as capable of throwing them out the window if there is ten times as much plastic in it and it is designed to last ten times as long.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:21pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:45pm

The point is about single use plastics, not how much to costs or takes to manufacture a reusable bag.  Way to make an enormous issue out of very little. As for your conspiracy theories, the ban was not driven by the retail sector. I realise its a minor inconvenience, maybe just suck it up and get used to it. Have a Bex and a lie down.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #58 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm:

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

Do Coles and Woolworths sell paper bin liners?

I've never looked.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #60 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:03pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm:

I've never looked.

I did not see any when I was in Woolworths yesterday.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:06pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:03pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm:

I've never looked.

I did not see any when I was in Woolworths yesterday.

Rhino: where do you get yours from?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:08pm

Jesus!  Look how many plastic bags they sell:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/browse/household/kitchen/garbage-bags

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #63 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:39pm

I was joking about the paper bin liners. They would get all soggy and everything would end up on the floor.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:45pm:
The point is about single use plastics, not how much to costs or takes to manufacture a reusable bag.  Way to make an enormous issue out of very little. As for your conspiracy theories, the ban was not driven by the retail sector. I realise its a minor inconvenience, maybe just suck it up and get used to it. Have a Bex and a lie down.

Earth to Rhino: there is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or single use bottle. There are single use users, and people who re-use them regardless of how over-engineered they are.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:54pm

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm:

Earth to Rhino: there is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or single use bottle. There are single use users, and people who re-use them regardless of how over-engineered they are.

It's multiculturalism, this is.  They never learned how unique and sacred this continent is.  They treat our country like dirt!

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am

3 days ago, I walked into the local woolworth for the first time since no plastic bag policy was introduced.  I expected to find a more 'greener' / environmentally friendly store.  But... I was wrong.

1) There are still same plastic bags in vege and fruit section.  There are no paper bags except in the mushroom section. 
2) There are still plastic packaging in the meat section.
3) The package in products have not changed. 
4) There are no paperboxes for people who bought more than they thought.
5) There is a 15c PLASTIC - re-usable bags for sale, and one elderly lady had to buy 5 of them.

It immediately hit me.  Those re usable plastic bags are just as damaging to the environment - if not more since they are more durable than the non usable ones.   The vast majority of plastic package in the supermarket remain UNCHANGED.   The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:05am

Quote:
Banning plastics bags could harm the environment by increasing greenhouse gases and causing more waste, a government report has revealed.

The little-known federal government report from 12 years ago warned of the unintended consequences of forcing consumers to reuse canvas bags if the supermarket giants banned single-use plastic sacks.

The Productivity Commission sounded an alarm bell about this environmental policy, more than a decade before Coles and Woolworths this month prohibited plastic bags from the checkout

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:07am

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am:
3 days ago, I walked into the local woolworth for the first time since no plastic bag policy was introduced.  I expected to find a more 'greener' / environmentally friendly store.  But... I was wrong.

1) There are still same plastic bags in vege and fruit section.  There are no paper bags except in the mushroom section. 
5) There is a 15c PLASTIC - re-usable bags for sale, and one elderly lady had to buy 5 of them.

It immediately hit me.  Those re usable plastic bags are just as damaging to the environment - if not more since they are more durable than the non usable ones.   The vast majority of plastic package in the supermarket remain UNCHANGED.   The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 

Plus, we have to buy bin liner bags now.

By the way, the 15 cent bags are free until Sunday 8th, so that lady shouldn't have had to pay for them.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm:

Irrelevant. Top marks for pedantry though.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am

I looked outside this morning and the sky wasnt falling, imagine that.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #71 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:11am

Ireland was among the first countries to face up to this challenge. As a result of the 15 cent fee (raised to 22 cent in 2007), annual bag usage dropped from almost 350 to 14 per person by 2012, and plastic bags now account for only 0.14 per centof total litter compared to 5 per cent in 2002. Revenues flowed to a fund to support waste management, litter prevention and other environmental initiatives. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:31am

The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 
You have to buy them? Was there a supermarket bouncer forcing you to do so? Some of you here seem to be having trouble understanding this.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:35am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:11am:
Ireland was among the first countries to face up to this challenge. As a result of the 15 cent fee (raised to 22 cent in 2007), annual bag usage dropped from almost 350 to 14 per person by 2012, and plastic bags now account for only 0.14 per centof total litter compared to 5 per cent in 2002. Revenues flowed to a fund to support waste management, litter prevention and other environmental initiatives. Wink Wink
Imagine what could happen if we really did ban them altogether, and put a compolsoury deposit on all plastic bottles. Would be wonderful if some of the whingers here actually got behind the ban and pushed for even less use of single use plastics instead of whinging about minor inconveniences.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #74 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:10pm

Apparently they arent banned in ACT

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #75 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm

rhino wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am:

Is this what you fall back on in defence of bad policy?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:05pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

Lol, no one has show it is bad policy, just the opposite. Plastic bag use has dropped immediately, just as it has everywhere else in the world where restrictions have been put on the use of them. Find something real to whinge about other than conjuring up pretend scenarios.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:01pm

More first world problems:

“CAN you please do Australia a favour and teach the staff to pack the bags properly?”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/coles-customer-vents-over-how-st...

And a little whinge from me:

“We’ll ensure that this [is] passed on to the Store and Regional Managers and we hope that you notice an improvement moving forward.”

Grrr    Angry

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:03pm

Interestingly enough, one of my rare and somewhat unwilling trips to a supermarket yesterday. I observed , most people were bringing their own bags, roughly one in 10 was availing themselves of the free bags. People buying single items were declining free bags. I heard also whilst wandering around, negative comments about the plastic packaging on the fruit. So it certainly has raised awareness and seems to be working.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:32pm

rhino wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:05pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

Lol, no one has show it is bad policy, just the opposite. Plastic bag use has dropped immediately, just as it has everywhere else in the world where restrictions have been put on the use of them. Find something real to whinge about other than conjuring up pretend scenarios.

Has plastic use decreased? Has the persistence of plastic rubbish decreased? If counting plastic bags as they go out the supermarket door is your only metric, you completely misunderstand the problem. You are mistaking convenience for harm, and are assuming that more inconvenience must mean less harm. Which just adds up to stupid policy.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:51pm

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:08am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am:
ways.

Impossible.

You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles. And has been demonstrated here the current plastic shopping bags dont get re used many times over, they may get re used once and then may go into landfill, where they take thousands of years to degrade. However the fact that its been demonstrated that the ocean is basically full of these things makes you look even more stupid. Its a no brainer really, I can see how you cant understand it.

Listen Noddy ... the over the counter bags that were supplied by Woolies - Coles etc. were fecken biodegradable. They break down.

End of ... they do not take 1,000s of year to breakdown.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:55pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:17am:
Quote:
Shocking study reveals 90% of global plastic waste comes from just TEN rivers in Asia and Africa

A shocking study has revealed 90 per cent of the world's plastic waste comes from just 10 rivers in Asia and Africa.
As governments around the world rush to address the global problem of plastic pollution in the oceans, researchers have now pinpointed the river systems that carry the majority of it out to sea.

About five trillion pounds is floating in the sea, and targeting the major sources - such as the Yangtze and the Ganges - could almost halve it, scientists claim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5910011/Plastic-bag-ban-criticised-90-ce...

Banning plastic bags in Australia will do stuff all in reducing plastic waste in the oceans

The same as all the BS related to our emissions in regards to the stupid Paris Agreement.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:10pm

Food for thought. 

Grin Grin For gawds sake .... the more durable bags are still plastic ... plastic that won't break down ... the same plastic that may take 1,000s of years to breakdown ... the ones they are banning are the only biodegradable plastic that they sell ... because we still pay for them one way or another.

The ongoing bs about them when all the other plastics they sell are all non biodegradable is pathetic.

https://www.facebook.com/kristy.france.1/videos/10160455063875696/

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm

rhino wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:31am:
The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 
You have to buy them? Was there a supermarket bouncer forcing you to do so? Some of you here seem to be having trouble understanding this.

Well, no... but sometimes, you do underestimate the amount that you are buying Vs your own capacity.  So at times, its either you pay for the damn 15c bag, or force to leave the goods at the counter.   Whereas, previously you do not have to pay for it. 

And plus, the 15 c bags are just as polluting and bad for the environment as the previous ones.   Have you feel the weight of them?  They are like equal to 3 to 4 of the disposable bags. 

If you want to be truly environmental friendly, then they should have paper bag available like in New York.  Or have used cardboard boxes.   The fact that they are selling 15c plastic bags (which probably only cost them 2 to 3 cents a piece), showed that this is less about environment and more about $$$.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:28pm

The supermarkets actually pushed this legislation as hard as they could without appearing to take the lead on it. They were obviously in it for the money, regardless of the damage it will do to the environment. They must be laughing all the way to bank - people actually campaigned for them to be forced to rip off their customers.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #85 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm:

Food for thought. 

Well, no... but sometimes, you do underestimate the amount that you are buying Vs your own capacity.  So at times, its either you pay for the damn 15c bag, or force to leave the goods at the counter.   Whereas, previously you do not have to pay for it. 

And plus, the 15 c bags are just as polluting and bad for the environment as the previous ones.   Have you feel the weight of them?  They are like equal to 3 to 4 of the disposable bags. 

If you want to be truly environmental friendly, then they should have paper bag available like in New York.  Or have used cardboard boxes.   The fact that they are selling 15c plastic bags (which probably only cost them 2 to 3 cents a piece), showed that this is less about environment and more about $$$. 

There used to be cardboard boxes. Im not sure when they disappeared but its recent IMO like in the last couple years - perhaps since the bag thing has been in the works.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #86 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 6:05pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm:
tickleandrose wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm:

Food for thought. 

There used to be cardboard boxes. Im not sure when they disappeared but its recent IMO like in the last couple years - perhaps since the bag thing has been in the works.

Spot

They pay someone to dispose of the cardboard boxes for them. It's cheaper than the income they would otherwise lose from the sale of re-usable plastic bags.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print