Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms (Read 4159 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Reply #75 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm

rhino wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am:
I looked outside this morning and the sky wasnt falling, imagine that.

Is this what you fall back on in defence of bad policy?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:05pm

freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

Lol, no one has show it is bad policy, just the opposite. Plastic bag use has dropped immediately, just as it has everywhere else in the world where restrictions have been put on the use of them. Find something real to whinge about other than conjuring up pretend scenarios.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:01pm

More first world problems:

“CAN you please do Australia a favour and teach the staff to pack the bags properly?”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/coles-customer-vents-over-how-st...

And a little whinge from me:

“We’ll ensure that this [is] passed on to the Store and Regional Managers and we hope that you notice an improvement moving forward.”

Grrr    Angry

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 2:03pm

Interestingly enough, one of my rare and somewhat unwilling trips to a supermarket yesterday. I observed , most people were bringing their own bags, roughly one in 10 was availing themselves of the free bags. People buying single items were declining free bags. I heard also whilst wandering around, negative comments about the plastic packaging on the fruit. So it certainly has raised awareness and seems to be working.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 7:32pm

rhino wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 1:05pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:49pm:

Lol, no one has show it is bad policy, just the opposite. Plastic bag use has dropped immediately, just as it has everywhere else in the world where restrictions have been put on the use of them. Find something real to whinge about other than conjuring up pretend scenarios.

Has plastic use decreased? Has the persistence of plastic rubbish decreased? If counting plastic bags as they go out the supermarket door is your only metric, you completely misunderstand the problem. You are mistaking convenience for harm, and are assuming that more inconvenience must mean less harm. Which just adds up to stupid policy.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:51pm

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:08am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:57pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:43pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:14pm:
The smarter ones amongst you should view this as the start of the end of single use plastics. Get used  to it, single use plastic has to disappear. Purchasing plastic bin liners instead is just stupidity. Get used to living plastic free, change your lazy
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didnt anyone tell them it was impossible?

We are living in completely different times.

Do you support the removal of workers penalty rates & attacks on wages & conditions in the downward spiral back to the days 50 years ago & further?

We'll have the kids back down the mine next just to assist you with your nostalgia.   Roll Eyes
You seem a bit confused, as usual. This topic has nothing to do with penalty rates or kids down coal mines. You really are a dufus. No doubt you believe the plastic bag ban is some sort of conspiracy perpetuated by faceless villains aimed at eroding peoples rights.

I know who the dufus is .... crapping on about single plastic bag use .... when the biggest amount of single use plastic .... that is not biodegradable is in packaging of products .... & plastic bottled water & softdrinks.

you are only attacking the obvious ...

and all the rest sails under the radar.

As has been demonstrated here people reuse & reuse the "single" use plastic bags. Roll Eyes

And when disposed of properly should not end up in our water ways or oceans.

I doubt I'd want to be in line behind you in a supermarket when you've thrown your dirty old cloth or hemp bags up on the counter.   
You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles. And has been demonstrated here the current plastic shopping bags dont get re used many times over, they may get re used once and then may go into landfill, where they take thousands of years to degrade. However the fact that its been demonstrated that the ocean is basically full of these things makes you look even more stupid. Its a no brainer really, I can see how you cant understand it.

Listen Noddy ... the over the counter bags that were supplied by Woolies - Coles etc. were fecken biodegradable. They break down.

End of ... they do not take 1,000s of year to breakdown.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 8:55pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:17am:
Quote:
Shocking study reveals 90% of global plastic waste comes from just TEN rivers in Asia and Africa

A shocking study has revealed 90 per cent of the world's plastic waste comes from just 10 rivers in Asia and Africa.
As governments around the world rush to address the global problem of plastic pollution in the oceans, researchers have now pinpointed the river systems that carry the majority of it out to sea.

About five trillion pounds is floating in the sea, and targeting the major sources - such as the Yangtze and the Ganges - could almost halve it, scientists claim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5910011/Plastic-bag-ban-criticised-90-ce...

Banning plastic bags in Australia will do stuff all in reducing plastic waste in the oceans

The same as all the BS related to our emissions in regards to the stupid Paris Agreement.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:10pm

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am:
3 days ago, I walked into the local woolworth for the first time since no plastic bag policy was introduced.  I expected to find a more 'greener' / environmentally friendly store.  But... I was wrong.

1) There are still same plastic bags in vege and fruit section.  There are no paper bags except in the mushroom section. 
2) There are still plastic packaging in the meat section.
3) The package in products have not changed. 
4) There are no paperboxes for people who bought more than they thought.
5) There is a 15c PLASTIC - re-usable bags for sale, and one elderly lady had to buy 5 of them.

It immediately hit me.  Those re usable plastic bags are just as damaging to the environment - if not more since they are more durable than the non usable ones.   The vast majority of plastic package in the supermarket remain UNCHANGED.   The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 

Grin Grin For gawds sake .... the more durable bags are still plastic ... plastic that won't break down ... the same plastic that may take 1,000s of years to breakdown ... the ones they are banning are the only biodegradable plastic that they sell ... because we still pay for them one way or another.

The ongoing bs about them when all the other plastics they sell are all non biodegradable is pathetic.

https://www.facebook.com/kristy.france.1/videos/10160455063875696/

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm

rhino wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:31am:
The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 
You have to buy them? Was there a supermarket bouncer forcing you to do so? Some of you here seem to be having trouble understanding this.

Well, no... but sometimes, you do underestimate the amount that you are buying Vs your own capacity.  So at times, its either you pay for the damn 15c bag, or force to leave the goods at the counter.   Whereas, previously you do not have to pay for it. 

And plus, the 15 c bags are just as polluting and bad for the environment as the previous ones.   Have you feel the weight of them?  They are like equal to 3 to 4 of the disposable bags. 

If you want to be truly environmental friendly, then they should have paper bag available like in New York.  Or have used cardboard boxes.   The fact that they are selling 15c plastic bags (which probably only cost them 2 to 3 cents a piece), showed that this is less about environment and more about $$$.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #84 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:28pm

The supermarkets actually pushed this legislation as hard as they could without appearing to take the lead on it. They were obviously in it for the money, regardless of the damage it will do to the environment. They must be laughing all the way to bank - people actually campaigned for them to be forced to rip off their customers.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #85 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm:
The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 
You have to buy them? Was there a supermarket bouncer forcing you to do so? Some of you here seem to be having trouble understanding this.

Well, no... but sometimes, you do underestimate the amount that you are buying Vs your own capacity.  So at times, its either you pay for the damn 15c bag, or force to leave the goods at the counter.   Whereas, previously you do not have to pay for it. 

And plus, the 15 c bags are just as polluting and bad for the environment as the previous ones.   Have you feel the weight of them?  They are like equal to 3 to 4 of the disposable bags. 

If you want to be truly environmental friendly, then they should have paper bag available like in New York.  Or have used cardboard boxes.   The fact that they are selling 15c plastic bags (which probably only cost them 2 to 3 cents a piece), showed that this is less about environment and more about $$$. 

There used to be cardboard boxes. Im not sure when they disappeared but its recent IMO like in the last couple years - perhaps since the bag thing has been in the works.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #86 - Jul 6th, 2018 at 6:05pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 2:56pm:
tickleandrose wrote on Jul 6th, 2018 at 12:20pm:

Food for thought. 

There used to be cardboard boxes. Im not sure when they disappeared but its recent IMO like in the last couple years - perhaps since the bag thing has been in the works.

Spot

They pay someone to dispose of the cardboard boxes for them. It's cheaper than the income they would otherwise lose from the sale of re-usable plastic bags.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print