Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms (Read 4157 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Reply #60 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:03pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

Do Coles and Woolworths sell paper bin liners?

I've never looked.

I did not see any when I was in Woolworths yesterday.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:06pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:03pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

Do Coles and Woolworths sell paper bin liners?

I've never looked.

I did not see any when I was in Woolworths yesterday.

Rhino: where do you get yours from?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:08pm

Jesus!  Look how many plastic bags they sell:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/browse/household/kitchen/garbage-bags

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #63 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 1:39pm

I was joking about the paper bin liners. They would get all soggy and everything would end up on the floor.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:45pm:
The point is about single use plastics, not how much to costs or takes to manufacture a reusable bag.  Way to make an enormous issue out of very little. As for your conspiracy theories, the ban was not driven by the retail sector. I realise its a minor inconvenience, maybe just suck it up and get used to it. Have a Bex and a lie down.

Earth to Rhino: there is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or single use bottle. There are single use users, and people who re-use them regardless of how over-engineered they are.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:54pm

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm:
The point is about single use plastics, not how much to costs or takes to manufacture a reusable bag.  Way to make an enormous issue out of very little. As for your conspiracy theories, the ban was not driven by the retail sector. I realise its a minor inconvenience, maybe just suck it up and get used to it. Have a Bex and a lie down.

Earth to Rhino: there is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or single use bottle. There are single use users, and people who re-use them regardless of how over-engineered they are.

It's multiculturalism, this is.  They never learned how unique and sacred this continent is.  They treat our country like dirt!

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am

3 days ago, I walked into the local woolworth for the first time since no plastic bag policy was introduced.  I expected to find a more 'greener' / environmentally friendly store.  But... I was wrong.

1) There are still same plastic bags in vege and fruit section.  There are no paper bags except in the mushroom section. 
2) There are still plastic packaging in the meat section.
3) The package in products have not changed. 
4) There are no paperboxes for people who bought more than they thought.
5) There is a 15c PLASTIC - re-usable bags for sale, and one elderly lady had to buy 5 of them.

It immediately hit me.  Those re usable plastic bags are just as damaging to the environment - if not more since they are more durable than the non usable ones.   The vast majority of plastic package in the supermarket remain UNCHANGED.   The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:05am

Quote:
Banning plastics bags could harm the environment by increasing greenhouse gases and causing more waste, a government report has revealed.

The little-known federal government report from 12 years ago warned of the unintended consequences of forcing consumers to reuse canvas bags if the supermarket giants banned single-use plastic sacks.

The Productivity Commission sounded an alarm bell about this environmental policy, more than a decade before Coles and Woolworths this month prohibited plastic bags from the checkout

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:07am

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am:
3 days ago, I walked into the local woolworth for the first time since no plastic bag policy was introduced.  I expected to find a more 'greener' / environmentally friendly store.  But... I was wrong.

1) There are still same plastic bags in vege and fruit section.  There are no paper bags except in the mushroom section. 
2) There are still plastic packaging in the meat section.
3) The package in products have not changed. 
4) There are no paperboxes for people who bought more than they thought.
5) There is a 15c PLASTIC - re-usable bags for sale, and one elderly lady had to buy 5 of them.

It immediately hit me.  Those re usable plastic bags are just as damaging to the environment - if not more since they are more durable than the non usable ones.   The vast majority of plastic package in the supermarket remain UNCHANGED.   The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 

Plus, we have to buy bin liner bags now.

By the way, the 15 cent bags are free until Sunday 8th, so that lady shouldn't have had to pay for them.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:50pm:

Irrelevant. Top marks for pedantry though.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:56am

I looked outside this morning and the sky wasnt falling, imagine that.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #71 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:11am

Ireland was among the first countries to face up to this challenge. As a result of the 15 cent fee (raised to 22 cent in 2007), annual bag usage dropped from almost 350 to 14 per person by 2012, and plastic bags now account for only 0.14 per centof total litter compared to 5 per cent in 2002. Revenues flowed to a fund to support waste management, litter prevention and other environmental initiatives. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:31am

tickleandrose wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:04am:
The only thing changed?  Instead of having the bags for free, now we have to buy them for 15 c each - 15 c of larger, more durable bags that they probably got for 2 to 3 cents each from China. 

Food for thought. 
You have to buy them? Was there a supermarket bouncer forcing you to do so? Some of you here seem to be having trouble understanding this.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 11:35am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 5th, 2018 at 9:11am:
Ireland was among the first countries to face up to this challenge. As a result of the 15 cent fee (raised to 22 cent in 2007), annual bag usage dropped from almost 350 to 14 per person by 2012, and plastic bags now account for only 0.14 per centof total litter compared to 5 per cent in 2002. Revenues flowed to a fund to support waste management, litter prevention and other environmental initiatives. Wink Wink
Imagine what could happen if we really did ban them altogether, and put a compolsoury deposit on all plastic bottles. Would be wonderful if some of the whingers here actually got behind the ban and pushed for even less use of single use plastics instead of whinging about minor inconveniences.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #74 - Jul 5th, 2018 at 12:10pm

Apparently they arent banned in ACT

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!