Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms (Read 4111 times)
Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Reply #45 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:45pm

cods wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:25pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:24pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:14pm:
The smarter ones amongst you should view this as the start of the end of single use plastics. Get used  to it, single use plastic has to disappear. Purchasing plastic bin liners instead is just stupidity. Get used to living plastic free, change your lazy
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didnt anyone tell them it was impossible?

I remember my mum going to the fruit and veggie shop....where you were served you didnt serve yourself..she would buy the spuds the guy would weigh them up and tip them into her canvas bag...if anything needed wrapping it was in  newspaper....

then it all went posh and it was brown paper bags....then they became they were taken over by the dreaded plastic bag...

what annoys me the most is   we the consumer never asked for these changes    they were all basically forced on us....then suddenly they become a NO NO and we the consumer  get to pay for it all over again...

the whole packaging thing has now got completely out of control.....has anyone bought a kids toy that comes in a smart box usually with a try me sign on it.. saying its for the under 2s... and when you get it home it takes two of you, a pair of scissors, a saw and screwdriver. to get the thing open.... Angry Angry Angry Angry

I have never seen packaging like it....I bought some batteries the other day,...dont ask me I think they are still lying in a corner somewhere.. Angry Angry Angry

In 1958, Asbestos was the first miracle of modern science listed in the Giant Encyclopaedia of World Knowledge, which my father got for his tenth birthday and then gifted to me for my tenth too.  Asbestos!  The greatest modern invention man has ever invented!  (This was before colour tv which Australia didn't get until 1975.  I reckon that we all thought color was better than asbestos in 1975.)

Now here's the thing, Cods.  Plastic is the greatest invention that man has ever invented ever since yesterday.  We all asked for it.  We all wanted it.  We threw out the newspapers and fell in love with plastic frucking bags, one and all of us.

Don't expect every Australian to suddenly drop their holy religion that tells them how to live their entire lives, and give up on their entire history just to please some green wanker who likes to fondle gay baby whales.  It is expecting too much from plain old simple human nature, and that is the nature of Australia - HUMAN nature.

The other problem is that this anti-plastic shopping-bag scam is an ABC trick to hide the fact that Australia is running out of decent hard-working Australians who will delve through all these yuppies' garbage to pick out the stuff to keep from the stuff to feed to those gay whales.

When I was young, (as they all say), we used to wear around four new pairs of cotton gloves per day, and the garbage would come in on the tines of a forklift in frigging potato bins.  The two biggest fingers on both my hands are twisted inward because when I was working in the recycling business, I was the best, and I could pick eight(8) YES! eight flagons out of a potato bin in one dive.  I remember what the recyling business was like as a 'first-responder' in 1989.  Things have certainly changed now.

The reason that we are getting all political about the innocuous plastic shopping bags which 90% of Australians do not throw to the whales is that there are not enough tough hard workers left in this country to do the dirty work, and so we have sold it all off to China, but now they have all gone and got degrees too, so there is no one who wants to lower themselves and do the hard work in this world anymore .

We only want to consume now, Cods.

(I have a right to retire.  I am old)

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #46 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:08pm

Oceans full of
NEW
shopping bags issued by Coles & Woolworths.

Millions of bright
green shopping bags
are being found in Oceans around the world, killing baby fur seals, turtles and the odd Nudibranch.

What has come of the world.  Cry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:54pm

freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:07pm:
red baron wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm:
I've been using Aldi's reusable bags for years

Get over it! All these lazy polluters whose garbage ends up in the oceans killing off the marine life or in landfill which never break down!

You have to use each bag about 50 times just to break even on plastic consumption. You were putting a lot of effort into negative results. It is basically the supermarket selling you a warm and fuzzy while further harming the environment.

A plastic bag is a plastic bag, Im not sure what you mean by "break even". If you are using the same one 50 times then that means there are 50 less plastic bags in use. Its not a negative result. This is about preventing single use plastic consumption.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:57pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:43pm:
The smarter ones amongst you should view this as the start of the end of single use plastics. Get used  to it, single use plastic has to disappear. Purchasing plastic bin liners instead is just stupidity. Get used to living plastic free, change your lazy
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didnt anyone tell them it was impossible?

We are living in completely different times.

Do you support the removal of workers penalty rates & attacks on wages & conditions in the downward spiral back to the days 50 years ago & further?

We'll have the kids back down the mine next just to assist you with your nostalgia.   Roll Eyes
You seem a bit confused, as usual. This topic has nothing to do with penalty rates or kids down coal mines. You really are a dufus. No doubt you believe the plastic bag ban is some sort of conspiracy perpetuated by faceless villains aimed at eroding peoples rights.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:00am

buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didn't anyone tell them it was impossible?

HOPEFULLY, those damned styrene trays in the meat and fruit departments will be next to be given the arse !

agreed. And the clingfilm, just not necassary.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #50 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:19am

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:00am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:41pm:
ways.

Impossible.
Strange. However did people survive 50 years ago without single use plastic? Didn't anyone tell them it was impossible?

HOPEFULLY, those damned styrene trays in the meat and fruit departments will be next to be given the arse !

agreed. And the clingfilm, just not necassary.

Actually i think the clingfilm might be necessary - gotta keep the flies off the meat

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:57pm:
ways.

Impossible.

Do you support the removal of workers penalty rates & attacks on wages & conditions in the downward spiral back to the days 50 years ago & further?

We'll have the kids back down the mine next just to assist you with your nostalgia.   Roll Eyes
You seem a bit confused, as usual. This topic has nothing to do with penalty rates or kids down coal mines. You really are a dufus. No doubt you believe the plastic bag ban is some sort of conspiracy perpetuated by faceless villains aimed at eroding peoples rights.

I know who the dufus is .... crapping on about single plastic bag use .... when the biggest amount of single use plastic .... that is not biodegradable is in packaging of products .... & plastic bottled water & softdrinks.

you are only attacking the obvious ...

and all the rest sails under the radar.

As has been demonstrated here people reuse & reuse the "single" use plastic bags. Roll Eyes

And when disposed of properly should not end up in our water ways or oceans.

I doubt I'd want to be in line behind you in a supermarket when you've thrown your dirty old cloth or hemp bags up on the counter.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:08am

Gnads wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:19am:
ways.

Impossible.

I know who the dufus is .... crapping on about single plastic bag use .... when the biggest amount of single use plastic .... that is not biodegradable is in packaging of products .... & plastic bottled water & softdrinks.

you are only attacking the obvious ...

and all the rest sails under the radar.

As has been demonstrated here people reuse & reuse the "single" use plastic bags. Roll Eyes

And when disposed of properly should not end up in our water ways or oceans.

I doubt I'd want to be in line behind you in a supermarket when you've thrown your dirty old cloth or hemp bags up on the counter.   
You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles. And has been demonstrated here the current plastic shopping bags dont get re used many times over, they may get re used once and then may go into landfill, where they take thousands of years to degrade. However the fact that its been demonstrated that the ocean is basically full of these things makes you look even more stupid. Its a no brainer really, I can see how you cant understand it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:17am

Quote:
Shocking study reveals 90% of global plastic waste comes from just TEN rivers in Asia and Africa

A shocking study has revealed 90 per cent of the world's plastic waste comes from just 10 rivers in Asia and Africa.
As governments around the world rush to address the global problem of plastic pollution in the oceans, researchers have now pinpointed the river systems that carry the majority of it out to sea.

About five trillion pounds is floating in the sea, and targeting the major sources - such as the Yangtze and the Ganges - could almost halve it, scientists claim.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5910011/Plastic-bag-ban-criticised-90-ce...

Banning plastic bags in Australia will do stuff all in reducing plastic waste in the oceans

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:25am

Lol. No wonder other countries laugh at us, temper tantrums over a mild inconvenience. Conspiracy theorists, naysayers and the plain lazy all having their say about why it shouldnt happen. Get over it Princesses, plastic bags are banned, time to adapt. Imagine if any of you had to undergo something tough in life, you would collapse in a screaming heap. Interestingly enough it seems to be the hard right who are so emotionally affected by this issue.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:37am

rhino wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 11:25am:
Lol. No wonder other countries laugh at us, temper tantrums over a mild inconvenience. Conspiracy theorists, naysayers and the plain lazy all having their say about why it shouldnt happen. Get over it Princesses, plastic bags are banned, time to adapt. Imagine if any of you had to undergo something tough in life, you would collapse in a screaming heap. Interestingly enough it seems to be the hard right who are so emotionally affected by this issue.

First world problems.

The front page of the West the other day (no, I don't buy it) had a huge headline, something along the lines of 'Plastic Bag Outrage'.

Too funny.

At least it gives us a break from "Footballer Behaves Badly", or "Car Drives Through Fence and Into House".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:15pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 11:54pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:07pm:
red baron wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:06pm:
I've been using Aldi's reusable bags for years

Get over it! All these lazy polluters whose garbage ends up in the oceans killing off the marine life or in landfill which never break down!

You have to use each bag about 50 times just to break even on plastic consumption. You were putting a lot of effort into negative results. It is basically the supermarket selling you a warm and fuzzy while further harming the environment.

A plastic bag is a plastic bag, Im not sure what you mean by "break even". If you are using the same one 50 times then that means there are 50 less plastic bags in use. Its not a negative result. This is about preventing single use plastic consumption.

A big component of the ecological footprint of plastic is the raw materials extraction and processing.

I was already getting more than one use out of conventional shopping bags, without the need to put 50 times as much plastic in them (to give the turtles and extra few years to choke to death on them). I am not going to start re-using bin liners or soiled bags.

ways.

Impossible.

It's a money grab by the supermarkets, selling us useless warm and fuzzies that probably do more harm to the environment than good, cheered on by idiots who are incapable of thinking things through, and now imposed on everyone by the government.

Quote:
You still seem confused. Im talking about all single use plastics, that includes water bottles.

You do realise that you can re-use those water bottles too, don't you? I do. There is no such thing as a single use plastic bag or water bottle. Inconsiderate people are just as capable of throwing them out the window if there is ten times as much plastic in it and it is designed to last ten times as long.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:21pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:45pm

The point is about single use plastics, not how much to costs or takes to manufacture a reusable bag.  Way to make an enormous issue out of very little. As for your conspiracy theories, the ban was not driven by the retail sector. I realise its a minor inconvenience, maybe just suck it up and get used to it. Have a Bex and a lie down.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #58 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm

rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:58pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:51pm:
rhino wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 2:20pm:
I dont care if I spend $10 a week on paper bags, they are a renewable resource and generally plantation timber provides the pulp, helps the economy and biodegrades back into the environment quickly. Im sure a lot of you can remember before we had plastic bags.

Whilst paper bags are more environmentally sound than plastic, you can only recycle paper a certain amount of times. Still, better than nothing.

Do Coles and Woolworths sell paper bin liners?

I've never looked.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print