Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms (Read 4153 times)
Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:19pm

Poor selfish aussies. Can't do without polluting and ecological destroying plastic bags at their local supermarket. My heart bleeds for them even though Aldis have been doing this from the outset !!

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/furious-shoppers-attack-supermar...

Quote:
New plastic bag ban sparks backlash and praise from Aussie shoppers

AS the plastic bag ban came into effect today, some angry shoppers were already threatening to boycott the supermarket.

MANY enraged Australian shoppers have taken to social media to slam supermarket giant Coles’ decision to ban single-use plastic bags from check-outs from today onwards.

The controversial new rules saw the traditional free plastic shopping bags vanish from stores once the clock ticked past midnight.

From now on, Coles shoppers around the country will need to bring their own reusable bags to transport their groceries, or fork out 15c for a range of reusable bags available for purchase at check-outs.

But while a Coles spokesman described the ban as “the right thing to do for our environment” on Friday, some Aussies have since accused the corporation of using the ban as a money-making ploy, while others threatened to boycott the chain in protest.

The backlash follows yesterday’s announcement from SDA National, the union for workers in retail, fast food and warehousing, that a female Woolworths staff member was strangled and sworn at by a male customer who disagreed with the company’s bag ban at Woolworths Greenfields at Mandurah, Western Australia late last month.

The union is calling for angry shoppers to treat retail staff with respect despite so-called “plastic bag rage”.

However, when news.com.au visited Coles Waterloo in inner Sydney early this morning, the scene was calm with a number of shoppers already armed with their own reusable bags.

One said it was “about time” single-use plastic bags were banned, while another added it was “a positive step” towards a more sustainable future.

While much of the social media reaction has been negative, there has also been plenty of praise for the ban, with some saying it should have been introduced sooner, and others claiming people who complained about ditching plastic bags were simply “lazy”.

Others also pointed out plastic bag bans have successfully been introduced in various locations around the world — and in South Australia — without fuss.

Many shoppers told news.com.au via Twitter that they supported the ban, with one posting: “Reducing our carbon footprint is extremely important” while another added the ban was “very long overdue”, and another stating: “Soon enough it will be the new normal.”

Despite the social media backlash, Coles’ chief operating officer Greg Davis told news.com.au a “large proportion” of shoppers remembered to bring their own bags today, and that many customers had provided “positive feedback” regarding the change.

“We are sincerely grateful to all of our Coles customers who have been part of the transition this weekend. Our team members have worked hard to ensure all registers have been open to make it easy for customers to shop with us,” he said.

“Our community bags have proven extremely popular and a large proportion of shoppers have come to our stores prepared with their own bags.

“Customers have welcomed our investment in opening all supermarket check outs across Australia today and our Coles online and liquor customers have also provided positive feedback about the change.”

Mr Davis said staff would “continue to work hard to help customers through this transition”.

Coles will have extra staff on hand to man all check-outs until 6pm today in an effort to help customers cope with the change, while additional check-outs will be open between 9am and 9pm in NSW and Victoria, and from 9am to 7pm in Queensland and Western Australia until July 8.

Both Coles and Woolworths committed to a June 30, 2018 deadline for removing single-use plastic bags last year, although Woolworths has temporarily delayed its ban following significant customer backlash.

The backflip will see free reusable plastic bags handed out to customers until July 8 after many customers refused to pay for new reusable ones altogether.

Both grocery heavyweights have also pledged to slash the amount of plastic used in packaging and wrapping, with Coles also vowing to halve food waste and make all its own-brand packaging recyclable by 2020.

Meanwhile, two of Australia’s biggest retailers, Kmart and Target, have both refused to adopt the plastic bag ban despite other major chains following suit.

The discount department store chains, which are both owned by Wesfarmers, which also owns Coles, will instead keep single-use bags in stores until an unknown date in 2019.

Woolworths, and its liquor brand BWS, ditched the bags on June 20 while Coles, IGA and Woolworths-owned department store Big W all binned the bags today.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Aussies have plastic bag withdrawal symptoms
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:28pm

Was talking to someone we know at Coles in Lismore Square today, they've been getting abused for not providing bags even though there has been countdowns to no plastic bags for ages with signs out the front. Some spit the dummy and refuse to pay 15c for the new bags and leave their groceries. It's not as if they made the policy but they certainly cop the flack for it. There're some stupid people on this planet.

They make great bin bags so we grabbed a heap the evening before they stopped using them.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:36pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Was talking to someone we know at Coles in Lismore Square today, they've been getting abused for not providing bags even though there has been countdowns to no plastic bags for ages with signs out the front. Some spit the dummy and refuse to pay 15c for the new bags and leave their groceries. It's not as if they made the policy but they certainly cop the flack for it. There're some stupid people on this planet.

They make great bin bags so we grabbed a heap the evening before they stopped using them.

Ppl are stoopid. I haven't used supermarket bags for ages.
I Keep a few flexible tubs in the back of the car then unload straight from the trolly into the tubs.

I reckon the supermarket bags are crap for the bin, they split and leak.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:45pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:36pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 10:28pm:

Ppl are stoopid. I haven't used supermarket bags for ages.
I Keep a few flexible tubs in the back of the car then unload straight from the trolly into the tubs.

I reckon the supermarket bags are crap for the bin, they split and leak.

We use them for a few bins around the house. Nappy bin in bathroom, recyclable plastics like cling wrap, bin beside my computer desk that gets paper. I find them really handy.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 3:26am

Where can I buy some bin liners?

Oh, maybe the supermarket sells them.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 6:17am

i think this is confirmation of just how wonderful market capitalism is at achieving a utopia.

for most of human history, you had to worry about being attacked by a neighbouring tribe with a spear, or torn to shreds by a wild animal.

even 150 years ago, you needed to have 12 kids so a couple might survive

you had painful medical treatment, had to go fetch water from the river to drink, you probably went to bed hungry, cold and wet on many many occasions.

but along comes capitalism and markets and free trade and in the space of a generation or two, your BIGGEST gripe is that you have to remember to take a re-useable bag to get your supplies which are available to all 24 hours a day.

if that doesnt make you fall to your knees with joy for being the luckiest mother f'er to ever walk the planet , then you dont understand much about the world
if that doesnt make you resolve to never complain about anything for the rest of your life, you simply arent paying attention.

but human beings are strange creatures.

quite self destructive and they will undoubtedly find a way to create the chaos and pain that their subconscious desires.

destroying the australian economy and environment with over population of migration and making electricity so dear thru virtue signalling to "the paris agreement' should see the re emergence of chaos and pain.

then you'll have a lot more to worry about then remembering your re useable bag

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 6:20am

Quote:
Coles will have extra staff on hand to man all check-outs until 6pm today in an effort to help customers cope with the change, while additional check-outs will be open between 9am and 9pm in NSW and Victoria, and from 9am to 7pm in Queensland and Western Australia until July 8.

Really? Why not have them open whenever the shop is open? Whats it got to do with plastic bags?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:12am

I picked up some take-out last week, in a "reusable" plastic bag. Just like the old ones, but the plastic was probably about ten times as thick. Obviously'y it's not going to be re-used for anything if it is covered in food.

Now we have to buy bin liners. They only get used once now.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:59am

For years I've been refusing bags when I can, specially when buying a bit of clothing or a book,  most of the checkout staff would look at me like I lost my mind and  some still putting my purchases in a bag...
Buying from most speciality shops they love big thick bags with their brand on it.
So will be interesting to see the change. Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:04am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:59am:
For years I've been refusing bags when I can, specially when buying a bit of clothing or a book,  most of the checkout staff would look at me like I lost my mind and  some still putting my purchases in a bag...
Buying from most speciality shops they love big thick bags with their brand on it.
So will be interesting to see the change. Wink Wink

The big thick bags with the brands on them may not stop

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:10am

freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:12am:
I picked up some take-out last week, in a "reusable" plastic bag. Just like the old ones, but the plastic was probably about ten times as thick. Obviously'y it's not going to be re-used for anything if it is covered in food.

Exactly!

It's achieved nothing (except extra profits for Coles and Woolies).

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:13am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:10am:

Exactly!

I know a lot of ppl that have been buying bin liners for years and chucking away the food bags ... so it will make a difference.  Wink Wink

I am me

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:16am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:13am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:10am:

Exactly!

I know a lot of ppl that have been buying bin liners for years and chucking away the food bags ... so it will make a difference.  Wink Wink

No difference at my place, except now I have to pay for my bin liners (not that the money bothers me).

First world problems   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:29am

I think the overall effect will be less plastic. I found the supermarket bags to have a high failure rate. Many rip and couldn't be used as bin liners and often they'd fail as bin liners and you'd need a second one.

I'd prefer no bags and just buy the bin liner.

IBI

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:42am

Used our own bags for years. Got fed up with getting rid of the plastic ones the shop supplied........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print