Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The Penalty Rate Cuts Are Not Fair (Read 2737 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
The Penalty Rate Cuts Are Not Fair
Jul 1st, 2018 at 6:41am

Penalty rate cuts not fair: O'Connor   Sad

Saturday, 30 June 2018
The West Australian
Labor frontbencher Brendan O'Connor says penalty rate cuts will be a burden for workers.

Penalty rate cuts due to hit workers from Sunday will be a burden for those that work in pharmacies, hospitality and retail, with cost-of-living pressures rising, the Labor's workplace relations spokesman says.

"Last week...Malcolm Turnbull introduces legislation to give himself a $7000 tax cut. A $7000 tax cut for millionaires; wage cuts for low-paid, hardworking Australians isn't fair," Brendan O'Connor told reporters in Melbourne on Saturday.   Sad

"We have the lowest wage rises in 25 years. It really is unfair that we see cuts to real wages.

"Millions of workers in this country are struggling to make ends meet ... at a time when cost-of-living pressures are rising, pressures to make ends meet are acute, people are having difficulties paying the mortgate or paying rent, putting food on the table, paying for school fees or school uniforms."

The penalty rate cuts will particularly affect pharmacy staff, who will take a cut of more than $3200 a year.

Sunday and public holiday penalty rates for workers in the fast-food, retail, hospitality and pharmacy sectors will drop 10 to 15 per cent.

The Fair Work Commission cut Sunday penalty rates for hospitality, retail, pharmacy and fast food employees from July 1 last year.

UFS Pharmacies decided a year ago not to introduce the cuts.

Coburg staff member Olivia Douglas, who is also studying pharmacy part-time, told reporters her extra earnings from penalty rates were essential for her to be able to pay rent and bills.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Penalty Rate Cuts Are Not Fair
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 6:58am

Well Australians need to stand shoulder to shoulder and refuse to recognise the current governing system (a union that is not financed by gov in amy way) The gov is forever voting themselves pay rises or manipulating laws to benifit them and only them. They are betraying us when in actual fact they should be helping us.
And they wonder why so many people are now going back to cash in hand. They only have their greedy little selves to blame.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 7:10am

Hooray for me, I stick up for the poor.
That means I am a really, really good person, so please vote for me.
I mean, I want to force people trying to run a business to pay people more than double their normal pay rate for working on Sundays, because that is a "Holy"??? day?( well I may be an atheist meself, but I am pro religious freedom, look at my record sticking up for muslims. What about Jews? They should get extra penalty rates after sundown friday, until the first three stars appear in the sky, on saturday night? If it is overcast, does the extra rate keep running on until next saturday night?
F' off ya bigot, racist, anti-semite, transphobic, nazi!) Well that did not work out as well for me as I'd hoped.
PS White Knight, ( are you being self depracating? or are you really so stupid the irony, of being a hypocrite virtue signaller choosing that avatar, escapes you?)
THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ON THIS ISSUE. You beautiful caring person.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 8:01am

mozzaok wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 7:10am:
I mean, I want to force people trying to run a business to pay people more than double their normal pay rate for working on Sundays, because that is a "Holy"??? day?( well I may be an atheist meself, but I am pro religious freedom, look at my record sticking up for muslims. What about Jews? They should get extra penalty rates after sundown friday, until the first three stars appear in the sky, on saturday night? If it is overcast, does the extra rate keep running on until next saturday night?
F' off ya bigot, racist, anti-semite, transphobic, nazi!) Well that did not work out as well for me as I'd hoped.
PS White Knight, ( are you being self depracating? or are you really so stupid the irony, of being a hypocrite virtue signaller choosing that avatar, escapes you?)

You seem confused.

Nobody is asking for anything extra.

They're just asking that existing entitlements not be taken away.

Penalty rates have been around for many, many decades.

The workers don't want more money - they merely want to keep their existing rate of pay.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 1:40pm

I mean, I want to force people trying to run a business to pay people more than double their normal pay rate for working on Sundays

Do you know that most of the awards for the impacted industries did not pay double time for Sundays and none have ever paid more than double time on Sundays ?

Apparently not, it is rather strange to have a very strong opinion on something that never happened.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 2:22pm

If small business wants to make some money on a sunday and expects to pay their employees a bowl of rice then they can shut shop for all I care.

And anyone who believes in trickle down economics will believe anything.....LOL

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 2:26pm

What a sanctimonious outpouring of BS.  Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:19pm

Attacking the wages of our poorest paid workers is  warfare at its lowest level

The incredulity of this is that Shorten's handwritng is all over this as much as Malcolm Turnbull's

In 2016 Bill Shorten undertook to accept the Fair Works Commission's results on Penalty Rates

He has now backflipped and allegedly says he will reverse the cuts if Labor gets in

With Bill Shorten it depends what day of the week it is and what mood he is in at any given time in regard to what he says is Labor Policy

Wonder how many Captain's Calls he will make  before the election that he will have to swallow humble pie on 

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:24pm

Seems to me a lot of people are not quite sure what the proper definition of a penalty rate is.   For some, it seems that just turning up on the day is a penalty to their lifestyle choices.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough rocks.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:27pm

Imrah wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:24pm:
Seems to me a lot of people are not quite sure what the proper definition of a penalty rate is.   For some, it seems that just turning up on the day is a penalty to their lifestyle choices.

Not sure what you actually mean there.

Penalty rates are paid to workers so as to compensate them for working unsocial hours.

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:27pm:

Penalty rates are paid to workers so as to compensate them for working unsocial hours.

You just exemplified it splendidly, Greggery.  Unsocial hours to whom, exactly?

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:48pm

Imrah wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:28pm:

Damned cats!  Bad as rats!  They'll eat anything that's got some meat on it.  A good bit of listerine ought to help that tongue as long as you're up on your tetanus jabs, Greggery.

Now let's start with the fulltime roster.  Assume a 40hr week because that makes the addups much simpler. 

Mon-Fri: (8 x 1.0) + (2 x 1.5) + (6 x 2.0) = 23 hours pay for 16 hours work.
How do you rate the sixth day? 
(2 x 1.5) x (14 x 2.0) = 31 hours pay for 16 hours work. (correction)

The seventh day is easy.  Double-time all day.

There's the traditional definition of penalty rates.  Any other problems here?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:51pm

The majority of people.

What's so hard to understand about this?

IP Logged

Imrah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:53pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:51pm:

The majority of people.

What's so hard to understand about this?

^^^See Above^^^
I didn't didn't think you'd get sidetracked so quickly.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:53pm

Imrah wrote on Jul 1st, 2018 at 3:48pm:

Damned cats!  Bad as rats!  They'll eat anything that's got some meat on it.  A good bit of listerine ought to help that tongue as long as you're up on your tetanus jabs, Greggery.

Now let's start with the fulltime roster.  Assume a 40hr week because that makes the addups much simpler. 

Mon-Fri: (8 x 1.0) + (2 x 1.5) + (6 x 2.0) = 23 hours pay for 16 hours work.
How do you rate the sixth day? 
(2 x 1.5) x (14 x 2.0) = 31 hours pay for 16 hours work. (correction)

The seventh day is easy.  Double-time all day.

There's the traditional definition of penalty rates.  Any other problems here?

The traditional definition of penalty rates is 'compensation for working unsocial hours'.

Do you support penalty rates?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print