Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Poll Says Too Much Immigration (Read 16272 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Poll Says Too Much Immigration
Reply #60 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:35am

freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:38pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:49am:
freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:15am:
It's not the immigration part that's the problem. It's the growth part.

There were 321,686 more people in Australia in 2018 than there was in 2017. If we consider that 66% of that number is migrants, then that makes up 212,312 people. That does factor in the number of migrants that leave Australia (much of whom are those that had arrived in recent years).

I would suggest that the 320,000 more people in Australia consist of the 212,000 immigrants + 311,000 births each year - 210,000 deaths each year. Migrant gains mainly replacing the people who die each year.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that instead of rational limits on immigration to curb population growth, we start drowning babies in buckets?

Looky-looky! Back on the 3rd of July. freediver starting the strawman about drowning babies.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:56am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 7:35am:
freediver wrote on Jul 3rd, 2018 at 12:38pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 10:49am:
freediver wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 7:15am:
It's not the immigration part that's the problem. It's the growth part.

There were 321,686 more people in Australia in 2018 than there was in 2017. If we consider that 66% of that number is migrants, then that makes up 212,312 people. That does factor in the number of migrants that leave Australia (much of whom are those that had arrived in recent years).

I would suggest that the 320,000 more people in Australia consist of the 212,000 immigrants + 311,000 births each year - 210,000 deaths each year. Migrant gains mainly replacing the people who die each year.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you suggesting that instead of rational limits on immigration to curb population growth, we start drowning babies in buckets?

Looky-looky! Back on the 3rd of July. freediver starting the strawman about drowning babies.

In response to you bringing up births. Other than being facetious, why did you bring that up, and why the hysterics about lying?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #62 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 8:31am

My point was not about reducing birth rates. The point was about reducing immigration as a way to encourage higher birth rates. It was spelled out in black and light grey in complete sentences, a few pages ago.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:34am

I must have missed that bit. I thought your only point was to drown the thread in statistics.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #64 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:14pm

freediver wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 9:34am:
I must have missed that bit. I thought your only point was to drown the thread in statistics.

I am being objective and you are being subjective. Yet, you think I am the one derailing this topic?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #65 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:22pm

Let us recap, shall we?

I have the opinion that we need to cut immigration numbers down to encourage higher birth rates. I believe that if we cut immigration numbers, more jobs will be available to Australian born people. After about 5 years, we should see a census figure -- yes, I know you hate facts and figures -- with the population being slightly lower than the initial immigration cut. That will spook the younger generation into having more children. People will be able to afford lower house prices. So, they should be able to afford another child.

freediver's opinion: we are not going to be going about drowning babies in buckets...

---

That is just great, freediver.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #66 - Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:40pm

nah....  years ago the sustainable limit for Australia and its current infrastructure was 20,000,000...  we could lose 5 million an have no worries until we start to plan properly for an expanded population base.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #67 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 7th, 2018 at 4:40pm:
nah....  years ago the sustainable limit for Australia and its current infrastructure was 20,000,000...  we could lose 5 million an have no worries until we start to plan properly for an expanded population base.

You have lived in the city too much and have no concept of urban expansion in towns and larger regional centres. My town could reach 150,000 relatively easy. We would have to expand east and north mainly. But we should be able grow larger.

Many regional centres could double their population. Small towns might swell as much as 5 times their current size. We may reach 40 million by 2050 with proper planning. Major cities might grow as much as another million to their population.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:00pm

Wrong.
My point stays valid...  sorry...
I live in a region.
it doesn't have enough infrastructure to support the ever increasing population BTW.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #69 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:26pm

We have had a debate on facebook about what needs to be done to grow Rockhampton. Reindustrialising the centre would be one way to get people into the jobs. Someone brought up the point about making the town a recycling centre.

We should be into an economic boom, once we get through the troubling drought and get our mining back on track.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:30pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
We have had a debate on facebook about what needs to be done to grow Rockhampton. Reindustrialising the centre would be one way to get people into the jobs. Someone brought up the point about making the town a recycling centre.

We should be into an economic boom, once we get through the troubling drought and get our mining back on track.

Getting off Facebook would be a good start.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #71 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 7:42pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:30pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 5:26pm:

Getting off Facebook would be a good start.

Why not rise up as a people and hijack all the resources flooding out of Queenslund and instead force the government there to build some manufacturing industry for those resources that will benefit you all??

Then bulldoze Rockie and start again...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #72 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 9:18am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 2nd, 2018 at 5:41am:
Walking around parts of Rockhampton, I am lulled into the thought that 99% of Australians are white and that our birth rates are well above replacement levels. Visiting places like Brisbane, as I did 10 years ago, I have the impression that Australia is 75% white and that people don't give relationships too much thought. I have not been to Sydney. But I hear that it is 66% white, and people are so self-absorbed that I cannot really consider that place to be a reflection of Australia.

Btw, Jasin, if you are reading this... migrants are the section of the Australian community that are having fewer children. I would have this impression that white Australia is still growing, whilst the non-white migrant and Australian born non-white community are just getting absorbed into white Australia or not breeding enough.

Actually in parts of Sydney and Melbourne you'd think you were in Asia or the ME.
BTW Muslim families have more children than non-muslim families.

We are simply importing people that will exacerbate the problem.  If we allow 1 million foreigners in here every 4 years  what outcome do you think we will have?  hmmmm.

Remember, Grendel. We're not against a multi-racial society with one unified culture.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:12pm

Auggie wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm:
Walking around parts of Rockhampton, I am lulled into the thought that 99% of Australians are white and that our birth rates are well above replacement levels. Visiting places like Brisbane, as I did 10 years ago, I have the impression that Australia is 75% white and that people don't give relationships too much thought. I have not been to Sydney. But I hear that it is 66% white, and people are so self-absorbed that I cannot really consider that place to be a reflection of Australia.

Btw, Jasin, if you are reading this... migrants are the section of the Australian community that are having fewer children. I would have this impression that white Australia is still growing, whilst the non-white migrant and Australian born non-white community are just getting absorbed into white Australia or not breeding enough.

Actually in parts of Sydney and Melbourne you'd think you were in Asia or the ME.

We are simply importing people that will exacerbate the problem.  If we allow 1 million foreigners in here every 4 years  what outcome do you think we will have?  hmmmm.

Remember, Grendel. We're not against a multi-racial society with one unified culture.

Your point would be what?
That the facts I noted are wrong? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #74 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:35pm

Grendel wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 9:12pm:
Auggie wrote on Jul 8th, 2018 at 8:08pm:

Your point would be what?
That the facts I noted are wrong? Roll Eyes

You said "Actually in parts of Sydney and Melbourne, you'd think you were in Asia or the ME."

That shouldn't matter, should it? If the majority were assimilated into one culture??

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Send Topic Print